More 'huge' ships confirmed - so what's the next one?

By xanderf, in Star Wars: Armada

2 hours ago, Sybreed said:

it'll be kind of weird to think that a list consisting of, say, 2 MC30 and 3 CR90 can take down a SSD.

Good bye immersion ?

And based on the films and stuff how many CR90's would it take to take down a Imperial Star Destroyer?

I know this won’t be popular but I’d rather have FFG release new cards for existing ships or a new Corellian-type campaign or just say Armada is in good shape and we’re calling it “done” rather than release made up EU ships. I mean, might as well throw in a battlestar from Battlestar Galactica or the Enterprise from Star Trek for all it matters at that point if they are just going to add garbage like that bulwark mentioned earlier. I just have a hard time calling it a Star Wars universe if ships like that start creeping into the game.

Rebels should get a large/huge based flotilla with a pair of Katana Dreadnoughts, representing them working in concert by being droid-linked from the old Thrawn books.

6 hours ago, Cboerger said:

I know this won’t be popular but I’d rather have FFG release new cards for existing ships or a new Corellian-type campaign or just say Armada is in good shape and we’re calling it “done” rather than release made up EU ships. I mean, might as well throw in a battlestar from Battlestar Galactica or the Enterprise from Star Trek for all it matters at that point if they are just going to add garbage like that bulwark mentioned earlier. I just have a hard time calling it a Star Wars universe if ships like that start creeping into the game.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is (realistically) expecting EU ships, anymore. Disney looks to have put a kibosh on that - it's either stuff on-screen, or otherwise canon, or stuff very, very near to it that may enter canon easily enough (usually through consulting with Disney). I'm thinking notably of the Raider, here - but 'Rebels' showed a path forward for the Interdictor and Dreadnought...each 'legends' before, and canon now. But it does mean that the majority of the 'way out there' EU stuff that conflicts with established canon is almost certainly improbable.

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is (realistically) expecting EU ships, anymore. Disney looks to have put a kibosh on that - it's either stuff on-screen, or otherwise canon, or stuff very, very near to it that may enter canon easily enough (usually through consulting with Disney). I'm thinking notably of the Raider, here - but 'Rebels' showed a path forward for the Interdictor and Dreadnought...each 'legends' before, and canon now. But it does mean that the majority of the 'way out there' EU stuff that conflicts with established canon is almost certainly improbable.

Agreed. Which is a shame really because there are some ship designs from the EU that are actually decent, the Dauntless , Liberator, Vindicator & Eclipse classes most notably.

Along with some actually decent fighter variants such as the TIE Droid, Missile Boat & the Scimitar Assault Bomber (sooo much better than that TIE Punisher abomination).

All there seems to be lately is yet another variation in mon cal designs.

Edited by ISD Avenger
17 hours ago, xanderf said:

It's kind of weird to think a single flight of A-Wings can take down an SSD,

Which IS a cleary one of the weaker parts of Star Wars and close to a "deus ex machina" plot device.

11 hours ago, Cboerger said:

release made up EU ships.

You mean stick to the REAL Star Wars ships?

I mean, might as well throw in a battlestar from Battlestar Galactica or the Enterprise from Star Trek for all it matters at that point if they are just going to add garbage like that bulwark mentioned earlier.

I just have a hard time calling it a Star Wars universe if ships like that start creeping into the game.

To which ships are you referring now?

12 hours ago, Cboerger said:

this_is_going_to_be_awesome__by_granite_

Do "we" really want more huge ships? I'm not even sure "we" want the one coming! I'm still not certain that games with 2 huge ships on the table (SSD vs SSD) are going to be that exciting, more than the first time. Now, if they raise the point limit for tourney fleets then we have a different discussion!

6 hours ago, Thraug said:

Do "we" really want more huge ships? I'm not even sure "we" want the one coming! I'm still not certain that games with 2 huge ships on the table (SSD vs SSD) are going to be that exciting, more than the first time. Now, if they raise the point limit for tourney fleets then we have a different discussion!

They make good linchpin pieces of a campaign. IE., Rebels operating out of a Lucrehulk in a sector that the Empire sends in an SSD and its fleet to root out. Series of regular-scale battles (more or less) ensue back and forth, with the winning side trying to get to the enemy's huge ship and destroy it. (The huge ships themselves usable in battles, but they are literally the win condition - if you lose your huge ship, the campaign is over, so...it's a risk)

20 minutes ago, xanderf said:

They make good linchpin pieces of a campaign. IE., Rebels operating out of a Lucrehulk in a sector that the Empire sends in an SSD and its fleet to root out. Series of regular-scale battles (more or less) ensue back and forth, with the winning side trying to get to the enemy's huge ship and destroy it. (The huge ships themselves usable in battles, but they are literally the win condition - if you lose your huge ship, the campaign is over, so...it's a risk)

I like the idea of this as a one sided campaign, but who has the table space to make this work? I guess I've found a use for my third card garage...

I think a campaign revolving around Death Squadron rooting out the rebel base while at the same time protecting themselves. Something that might play a little like Rebellion, but better suited for Armada.

IMO the obvious counterpoint to the Executor class would be the Starhawk Battleships . though FFG would have to be given permission to design the visuals for those.

those ships are canon, would have distinctive visual separate from the existing hardware, and avoid the issue of adding in the sequel trilogy factions.

23 hours ago, Cboerger said:

That's a tad bit of hyperbole, there.

Releasing a Dreadnought does not equal releasing the Enterprise. Also, throw out any Raiders you own, among several others that aren't expressly in a original trilogy movie.

Edited by AegisGrimm
19 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

IMO the obvious counterpoint to the Executor class would be the Starhawk Battleships . though FFG would have to be given permission to design the visuals for those.

those ships are canon, would have distinctive visual separate from the existing hardware, and avoid the issue of adding in the sequel trilogy factions.

The problem you run into, though, is coming up with something that costs $100+ and nobody has seen before. If one shows up in Episode IX, then sure, I could see that being a good choice. Otherwise...?

I confess, it sure WOULD be nice to see something genuinely different from the Mon Cal ships, though!

On 8/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, Megatronrex said:

And then the 40k Imperial Navy comes in and B*tch slaps everything out of existence... :D

On 8/6/2018 at 2:04 AM, xanderf said:

I’m still expecting EU stuff.

Filoni is about to start Resistance. He’s been on point with dredging up Legends material. Don’t count any of it out yet.

3 hours ago, xanderf said:

The problem you run into, though, is coming up with something that costs $100+ and nobody has seen before. If one shows up in Episode IX, then sure, I could see that being a good choice. Otherwise...?

I confess, it sure WOULD be nice to see something genuinely different from the Mon Cal ships, though!

worked for the Raider over in X-wing.

If we're going to stick with the Galactic Civil War, this is the only choice for the Rebels for the Huge Ship follow up to the SSD

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

worked for the Raider over in X-wing.

It really didn't. First off, FFG actively worked with Lucasfilm on it, and as a result the ship ended up being added to canon (given video game development cycles vs boardgame, almost certainly the decision to adopt it into the 'Battlefront' games was made simultaneously with FFG's work on it).

Nevermind that X-Wing outsells Armada by an order of magnitude or so, allowing for more risk-taking and/or experimenting with products in that line.

And don't forget - the Imperial Raider was announced back in December 2014. The Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm only just happened in the end of 2012/early 2013 - The Force Awakens wasn't released until the end of 2015. It was still a very different time in what kind of products got licensed, and what was thought of the EU (or other non-canon sources). You'll recall that the entire "Legends" re-categorization of the entire expanded universe to date didn't even happen until April 2014.

In any case - all of those are beside the point. The Imperial Raider expansion wasn't just the so-far-unseen Raider. Really - how much of that $100 SKU were people paying it, vs the desperately needed fix for the totally-broken TIE Advanced as flown by Darth Vader . Oh, and a little nobody that didn't really do anything in the movies, Emperor Palpatine . Given those two things in there, what people end up paying for the Raider hovered more around $50 or so of worth from the kit.

Armada really doesn't have that problem - at least now we know who is in the SSD - of iconic characters missing or worthless; paired with an on-screen ship that also needed fixing. The product line is different, the situation is different, the time is different. So I don't really think any useful conclusions could be drawn from it.

latest?cb=20200325014758

The Assertor is back in Canon baby! The second Huge ship in the game right here!

1 hour ago, Piratical Moustache said:

latest?cb=20200325014758

The Assertor is back in Canon baby! The second Huge ship in the game right here!

Where!?!

46 minutes ago, BlueSquadronPilot said:

Where!?!

FFG brought it back in this book:

450?cb=20160112202414

If FFG sticks their usual M.O., they'll try to 'balance the Force' and make a Rebel huge. Only thing they could really try to argue to recanonize with the mouse is the Viscount Star Defender.

2 hours ago, Piratical Moustache said:

FFG brought it back in this book:

450?cb=20160112202414

The Bellator and Mandator are also mentioned in that book.

Unfortunately, FFG products and their content are not strickly cannon. The raider wasn't cannon until it appeared in Battlefront 2, for example. Until you see in in a movie, book, comic book, video game or other official media, I don't believe it can be considered cannon.

That being said, FFG can pull from legends material with LFL approval.