More 'huge' ships confirmed - so what's the next one?

By xanderf, in Star Wars: Armada

14 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

Eclipse class! ?

Maybe even the Death Star :P

13 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Keep in mind that it's been 2 years since we've had any non-Disney-canon units (Squadron IIs), and 3 years since a non-Disney-canon ship (the Raider/MC30).

Getting any of the old EU ships seems a bit unlikely.

Considering that it takes a year to get anything new from Armada that doesn't say much.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Maybe even the Death Star :P

To be fair, the Eclipse is shorter than the Executor.

Mandator IV Dreadnought.

It's definitely huge whilst also being fairly smaller in scale to the Executor.

And I am sitting here hoping we will never see anymore huge ships.

3 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

To be fair, the Eclipse is shorter than the Executor.

So is the Mega Star Destroyer. But it's just over 3 times as wide. Not much deeper though.

It's hard to tell for sure - but I would estimate the Eclipse as being over 3 times as deep as the Executor - so it's likely to be close to the Mega Star Destroyer in volume.

Bulwark Battlecruiser it's varied size a bit in different interpretations, but in Star Wars Rebellion/Supermacy vidya (Which FFG are proven fans of) it was used as the Rebel counterpart to the SSD

BulwarkBattlecruiser-SWR.png.557b78d2011d16f91e1048284138df4e.png

17 hours ago, Ewok on Stilts said:

I don’t know the odds,

Never tell me the odds.

2 hours ago, old_school_overlord said:

Bulwark Battlecruiser it's varied size a bit in different interpretations, but in Star Wars Rebellion/Supermacy vidya (Which FFG are proven fans of) it was used as the Rebel counterpart to the SSD

BulwarkBattlecruiser-SWR.png.557b78d2011d16f91e1048284138df4e.png

it needs to be freaking less ugly then this though.

Looks like a huge freaking space fish.

11 hours ago, CDAT said:

Not saying you are wrong (I am guessing you are right) but where does this come from? I have only ever heard it called the Droid Control Ship in the Movies (unless I missed it, and it is very possible I did).

11 hours ago, Onidsen said:

Here's the Wookiepedia link. It looks like it first came from one of the cross sections books. It also appears to be legends, and not yet confirmed to have been carried over to the new canon.

@Onidsen @CDAT Here is the wiki for the canon Lucrehulk ship.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucrehulk-class_LH-3210_cargo_freighter

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucrehulk-class_Battleship

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing these in the game on the Rebel side. They could be a lot of fun to blow up.

12 hours ago, CDAT said:

Not saying you are wrong (I am guessing you are right) but where does this come from? I have only ever heard it called the Droid Control Ship in the Movies (unless I missed it, and it is very possible I did).

12 hours ago, Onidsen said:

Here's the Wookiepedia link. It looks like it first came from one of the cross sections books. It also appears to be legends, and not yet confirmed to have been carried over to the new canon.

No, the name is canon again as of Battlefront II. Here's the canon article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucrehulk-class_Battleship

Edited by The Jabbawookie
ninja'd. Move along, move along...
22 hours ago, The Jabbawookie said:

No, the name is canon again as of Battlefront II. Here's the canon article: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lucrehulk-class_Battleship

Canon as of the 'Dr Aphra' comics, too - the Rebels actually fly one named 'Lucrehulk Prime', which if it's not a Lucrehulk-class battleship...doesn't make a lot of sense as a name.

FWIW, I kicked this out for another thread, but maybe useful for comparison in this thread, and added a new ship...

pic4248962.jpg

...given that, the Raddus (MC85-class) and Finalizer (Resurgent-class) might be 'large' ships, but would definitely top that out (and kind of stretch the definition). Lucrehulk and Mandator IV, on the other hand...huge, for sure. And of those...Mandator IV has (so far) about 15 minutes of screen time, while we've seen hundreds of the Lucrehulks throughout the Clone Wars period and several into the Civil War era. And given the Empire already has a 'huge' ship while the Rebels don't...

Edited by xanderf

Eclipse class.

They’re going to introduce the Scum and Villainy faction, and the Zann Consortium will take front and center for it.

There's a big difference between leaving the door open for more huge ships, and confirming that more are coming.

After talking with folks today I feel like it's more along the lines that "the door is open" rather than saying "more are in development".

Realistically, we're gonna have to see how well these things sell before FFG decided to produce new ones.

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

pic4248017.jpg

So this is to scale, yeah?

So, the Resurgent/Raddus are around 2x ISDs. The Lucrehulk and Mandator would definitely fit the part on a Huge base.

O1H72ML.jpg

This is what two ISDs on a Huge base looks like, which is around where the Resurgent/Raddus clock in. Keep in mind that if they were one ship, they'd be a bit more volume (larger wedge, etc), which would seal the deal a bit more. Also, that base is a bit too large (about an inch and a half in the front and around a centimeter around the sides - you can see how it overhands the shield dial).

2 hours ago, Crabbok said:

There's a big difference between leaving the door open for more huge ships, and confirming that more are coming.

'All huge ships share X trait, but the SSD is different because it also has Y' would seem to indicate pretty strongly that there is at least one other 'huge' ship in the pipe.

Whether or not that means any of the others have specific 'Epic'-scale-only versions like the SSD...

Or whether the other 'huge' designs are really THAT much larger than the ISD in the first place, I mean, after all...

1 hour ago, svelok said:

So, the Resurgent/Raddus are around 2x ISDs. The Lucrehulk and Mandator would definitely fit the part on a Huge base.

That's to true scale. Remember that the game is on a sliding scale - the VSD, Interdictor, and AF Mk 2 obviously much larger (relatively) to the ISD than this 'true scale' shot - and the SSD *VASTLY* smaller. So...that does make a difference.

On FFG's sliding scale, even the Lucrehulk may well be only 20-30% wider than an ISD is long - it would still definitely look more massive, and could well fit into the new 'huge' scale, without commanding the challenging price tag the SSD does.

3 hours ago, xanderf said:

That's to true scale. Remember that the game is on a sliding scale - the VSD, Interdictor, and AF Mk 2 obviously much larger (relatively) to the ISD than this 'true scale' shot - and the SSD *VASTLY* smaller. So...that does make a difference.

On FFG's sliding scale, even the Lucrehulk may well be only 20-30% wider than an ISD is long - it would still definitely look more massive, and could well fit into the new 'huge' scale, without commanding the challenging price tag the SSD does.

And even with the sliding scale you have some odd ones out there. The Quasar Fire (a medium ship) that is smaller than a MC-30 (Small ship).

2 hours ago, CDAT said:

The Quasar Fire (a medium ship) that is smaller than a MC-30 (Small ship).

The Quasar Fire's extreme wideness is probably to blame there.

7 hours ago, svelok said:

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

That's to true scale.

It looks to me like it's to "Mel's Miniatures" scale, not to truescale.

EDIT - apparently it's not - but the SSD at least is much smaller than "truescale". SSDs are 11 times the length of ISDs.

Edited by Ironlord

Regardless of their sequel trilogy status, I'd rather see the Raddus and Resurgence as $100 huge ships than the Executor as a 200 ship, cool as it is.

6 hours ago, Ironlord said:

EDIT - apparently it's not - but the SSD at least is much smaller than "truescale". SSDs are 11 times the length of ISDs.

You caused me to double-check my math, and it's true the SSD was slightly too small (not a lot, though - I was using 17km as the size for some reason, instead of 19km). The larger file I created ends up with the ISD at 400 pixels long, and the SSD at 4750 pixels - so I'm a 1 pixel for every 4 meters, in the corrected version, here:

pic4248962.jpg

Edited by xanderf

it'll be kind of weird to think that a list consisting of, say, 2 MC30 and 3 CR90 can take down a SSD.

Good bye immersion ?

27 minutes ago, Sybreed said:

it'll be kind of weird to think that a list consisting of, say, 2 MC30 and 3 CR90 can take down a SSD.

Good bye immersion ?

It's kind of weird to think a single flight of A-Wings can take down an SSD, or a single X-Wing can take down a Death Star...

( owww...zing! )

But in this game, not really - the SSD that you're playing at 400 pts is just a "prototype" design. We don't really know anything about the full-scale one, other than it looks terrifying. (Although somewhat seriously to that last point - Star Wars has always been a pretty big fan of smaller units successfully attacking/disabling vastly larger ones. I mean, the Y-Wing attack on the Star Destroyer in 'Rogue One' followed by the single Hammerhead collision, right? Which, yes, does make one wonder 'then why the heck do they keep building the things if they are always so easily destroyed by much smaller/cheaper stuff', but...well, that's Star Wars for ya, so...)

Edited by xanderf
1 hour ago, xanderf said:

in the corrected version, here:

It's worth noting that the SSD there is also slimmer than the actual Lucasfilm model was. The proper one is less than 4 times as long as its tail module is:

latest?cb=20140523011450

whereas the one in the diagram looks nearly 5x as long.

14 hours ago, xanderf said:

'All huge ships share X trait, but the SSD is different because it also has Y' would seem to indicate pretty strongly that there is at least one other 'huge' ship in the pipe.

I get that... but look at it this way. When flotillas were introduced, it was a new class of ship.... but look how many waves past that we are and still no new Flotillas. Leaving the door open this way for "huge" might simply mean that another one may come.... in 5 more years.

I'm just saying don't expect another huge ship any time soon. I honestly think that the rebels won't actually get one, and that if we DO get one, it'll be for another faction, like the 1st order, or CIS.

It could also boil down to, the SSD is an EPIC scale ship, that for standard play will fit in the HUGE scale, hence why it is coming with 4 ship variants. This would allow the SSD in standard play, and opening the door for the ships bigger than an ISD, but smaller than the SSD.

So the Raddus, Resurgent and Lucrehulk, would be huge ships but not with epic cards as well.

1 hour ago, Crabbok said:

I get that... but look at it this way. When flotillas were introduced, it was a new class of ship.... but look how many waves past that we are and still no new Flotillas. Leaving the door open this way for "huge" might simply mean that another one may come.... in 5 more years.

Flotillas were introduced in the wave 3/4 simultaneous release. We've only had 3 waves since then, and if the Dornean gunship does appear as a combat-focused flotilla in wave 8, as expected...