Noob questions

By Luahk, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

11 hours ago, Luahk said:

So..if both light sabers gave me accurate 2

On 5/3/2020 at 6:17 PM, emsquared said:

passive, defensive mods

13 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

You only get the roll bonuses (automatic Advantage, Boost, etc.) from your primary weapon.

If you hit with the second weapon then the automatic adv etc do apply. so if you second weapon has auto success and auto adv. you spand 2 adv and you get another adv and a success on the second hit.

Sorry...there is a defence cap right? i can't find where it says so in the CRB anyone know?

Its in the errata. The Defense cap is 4.

I can't find the expanded version of the talent Slippery minded. What book is it in?

I am a noob. Found it.

Edited by Luahk

I'm back at suppress again....

Duration upgrade says....I roll suppress then commit a die and maintain effect right??
So at the start of a session could someone roll till they get their max result (Lets say they're force rating 5) and maintain alllll those fails at the cost of one die?

Sorry for ease my confusion is this.

"The power gains the ongoing effect: Commit O after successfully activating the basic power. This power remains in effect on each affected target as long as the target slays within range of the power. If the target moves beyond the range of the power. the effects end for him but not for any other targets affected by the power The user ay not activate this multiple times."

Does that mean that the process is

Players rolls suppress power check
Gains 6 Pips (No strength upgrades) = 6 failure on enemy checks.

Activates Above Duration and thus retains all the benefits from the roll?

15 hours ago, Luahk said:

Sorry for ease my confusion is this.

"The power gains the ongoing effect: Commit O after successfully activating the basic power. This power remains in effect on each affected target as long as the target slays within range of the power. If the target moves beyond the range of the power. the effects end for him but not for any other targets affected by the power The user ay not activate this multiple times."

Does that mean that the process is

Players rolls suppress power check
Gains 6 Pips (No strength upgrades) = 6 failure on enemy checks.

Activates Above Duration and thus retains all the benefits from the roll?

Each target is suppressed as long as they (individually) don't go out of range or until you uncommit the die... whichever comes first.

28 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Each target is suppressed as long as they (individually) don't go out of range or until you uncommit the die... whichever comes first.

So If I had strength 3...rolled the same pool then everyone would be at 18 fail on all force checks?

1 hour ago, Luahk said:

So If I had strength 3...rolled the same pool then everyone would be at 18 fail on all force checks?

Basic power is 1 of 1 (no multiple activations), that leaves 5 for max of 2 strength upgrades in the tree so 11 failures for 6 white pips.

17 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Basic power is 1 of 1 (no multiple activations), that leaves 5 for max of 2 strength upgrades in the tree so 11 failures for 6 white pips.

Ok that's slightly better but isn't that still...kinda....STRONG

The ghoulish man lifted his hand, shaping it into a cruel claw, and unleashed a torrent of energy that ripped apart the stone upon it's way to the Jedi Padawan it's purple forks carrying with it the promise of death and the full power of the darkside.

Padawan Laughs in suppress.

17 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I double checked after getting my hands on a copy of the book. You cannot activate the strength upgrade multiple times either. Giving you a max of 3 failure.

1 hour ago, Luahk said:

I double checked after getting my hands on a copy of the book. You cannot activate the strength upgrade multiple times either. Giving you a max of 3 failure.

I missed that clause on the base power and the 2 strength upgrades. I was going by how most powers work.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:49 PM, Luahk said:

I'm back at suppress again....

Duration upgrade says....I roll suppress then commit a die and maintain effect right??
So at the start of a session could someone roll till they get their max result (Lets say they're force rating 5) and maintain alllll those fails at the cost of one die?

There’s a side bar on one of the force power pages in the F&D core that gives advice for GM’s on how to adjudicate a pc maintaining powers for multiple encounters.

7 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

There’s a side bar on one of the force power pages in the F&D core that gives advice for GM’s on how to adjudicate a pc maintaining powers for multiple encounters.

You're right but if Suppress was as strong as I misunderstood it (infact even as it is intended) I would just make sure to re-roll it every time till i got 2 pips for max result.

23 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

I missed that clause on the base power and the 2 strength upgrades. I was going by how most powers work.

I assumed so as well which is why I was so shocked/asked the question in the first place.

1 minute ago, Luahk said:

You're right but if Suppress was as strong as I misunderstood it (infact even as it is intended) I would just make sure to re-roll it every time till i got 2 pips for max result.

There’s also a sidebar on how to approach a character who wants to re-roll the same skill check until they succeed sufficiently, that’s in the GM’s chapter. If you want to keep using your action each round though in a combat then that’s probably well balanced.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:50 PM, Luahk said:

Your GM is very nice to let you reroll dice until you get the desired result. With me if a player choose to roll dice he / she is bound to accept the result. No reroll allowed.

20 minutes ago, WolfRider said:

Your GM is very nice to let you reroll dice until you get the desired result. With me if a player choose to roll dice he / she is bound to accept the result. No reroll allowed.

Or she can just make multiple attempts. Round 1, round 2, round 3, etc.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Or she can just make multiple attempts. Round 1, round 2, round 3, etc.

This. But it's not as powerful as I'd misunderstood it.

Hello folks!

I am looking around ... trying to see if there is a talent that applies your Brawn* to damage on Hit for a destiny point. Seems there are others that do the same with intellect etc but I can't find one.

Am I being dense as usual?

<Insert help me Obi wan gif>

Edited by Luahk
Initially was looking for Willpower. Found it! ("Deathblow" if you're wondering :D)
4 hours ago, Luahk said:

Hello folks!

I am looking around ... trying to see if there is a talent that applies your Brawn* to damage on Hit for a destiny point. Seems there are others that do the same with intellect etc but I can't find one.

Am I being dense as usual?

<Insert help me Obi wan gif>

There is something almost like that for Brawn, but it is specific to Lightsaber attacks and requires Strain rather than destiny (which means you can use it along with a destiny-fueled damage adder to really smack the crap out of some fool).

6 hours ago, Luahk said:

I think there are a couple reasons there isn't really one for Brawn.

Brawn is your raw strength, and so doesn't make sense for adding damage to a Ranged attack, and is the Characteristic used for Brawl/Melee, meaning it would be double-dipped for damage there.

Targeted Blow uses Agility, which is the same Characteristic used for Ranged attacks, but the key there is that it isn't used for determining damage and makes sense for both Ranged and Melee combat.

The others are based on mental stats that are not directly related to combat skills.
Soft Spot is the intuitive recognition of a weakness. A "hunter's instinct" if you will.
Anatomy Lessons is the knowledge of where to hit an enemy for the greatest effectiveness. In the Republic Commando books, they reference having lessons on how to most effectively kill/injure/maim certain species, and that would be this.
Deathblow is in more sketchy territory as for narrative justification, but I guess it could be fluffed as "you're a cold-blooded killer. You don't hesitate to pull the trigger."
Is there one for Presence? I guess that would be yelling at someone to catch their attention so they poke their head up out of cover, then you blast them?

5 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I think there are a couple reasons there isn't really one for Brawn.

Brawn is your raw strength, and so doesn't make sense for adding damage to a Ranged attack, and is the Characteristic used for Brawl/Melee, meaning it would be double-dipped for damage there.

Targeted Blow uses Agility, which is the same Characteristic used for Ranged attacks, but the key there is that it isn't used for determining damage and makes sense for both Ranged and Melee combat.

The others are based on mental stats that are not directly related to combat skills.
Soft Spot is the intuitive recognition of a weakness. A "hunter's instinct" if you will.
Anatomy Lessons is the knowledge of where to hit an enemy for the greatest effectiveness. In the Republic Commando books, they reference having lessons on how to most effectively kill/injure/maim certain species, and that would be this.
Deathblow is in more sketchy territory as for narrative justification, but I guess it could be fluffed as "you're a cold-blooded killer. You don't hesitate to pull the trigger."
Is there one for Presence? I guess that would be yelling at someone to catch their attention so they poke their head up out of cover, then you blast them?

Thanks for eber for your responses and engaging conversation :D

however on this occasion I, being the sad person I am, actually found the talent toy endlessly scouring.

'Bring it down' from the explorers big game hunter actually does this and isn't even, in the talented description, limited to type of weapon which is stupid imo.

I do agree that deathblow I struggle to narratively justify. I don't sort of get it..are you so determined to push through or something?

8 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

There is something almost like that for Brawn, but it is specific to Lightsaber attacks and requires Strain rather than destiny (which means you can use it along with a destiny-fueled damage adder to really smack the crap out of some fool).

Falling avalanche i believe you're referring to