Noob questions

By Luahk, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

If someone has suppress committed for pips to count as failure and another person uses suppress on them to force them to uncommitt all die..would the person roll their committed die in the check or na?

2 hours ago, Luahk said:

If someone has suppress committed for pips to count as failure and another person uses suppress on them to force them to uncommitt all die..would the person roll their committed die in the check or na?

Not entirely sure what you're asking here.

For the user with committed dice, they wouldn't be rolling any Force dice as the Mastery upgrade is an opposed Discipline vs. Discipline check, and it would be the second character (the one using the Mastery upgrade) that would be rolling her Force dice. Second user would have the auto-failures added to her check result, but that's about it from what the first user has done.

Basically I recognised that the suppress tree and its duration upgrade seem to make it very hard to get force powers to effect that person especially if you have the strength upgrades.

So I imagine the force power based attacker would heavily lean on the mastery part of suppress in order to remove this pesky defence and get hits off.

But then, upon inspection, a player pointed out to me that the defending party against mastery upgrade could still use the duration effect to make that check very hard to pass. I am wondering if this is true or not.

24 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Basically I recognised that the suppress tree and its duration upgrade seem to make it very hard to get force powers to effect that person especially if you have the strength upgrades.

So I imagine the force power based attacker would heavily lean on the mastery part of suppress in order to remove this pesky defence and get hits off.

But then, upon inspection, a player pointed out to me that the defending party against mastery upgrade could still use the duration effect to make that check very hard to pass. I am wondering if this is true or not.

Yes it would be very hard to use the mastery to end a suppress already in effect on you.

So i'm -baffled- but it appears to me that dual wielding lightsabers is no where near as worth it as the Double bladed lightsaber. Am I missing a rule supplement or something?

4 hours ago, Luahk said:

So i'm -baffled- but it appears to me that dual wielding lightsabers is no where near as worth it as the Double bladed lightsaber. Am I missing a rule supplement or something?

What makes you say that?

An obvious advantage of dual wielding is that you can put attack-y attachments in one saber and defensive in the other and have the best of both worlds because you're operating with twice the hard points a double-bladed saber has.

Or if you don't care about dual attacks you can stack two defensive sabers and trigger those improved parries/reflects like a boss.

Edited by Stan Fresh
10 hours ago, Luahk said:

You can always duel-wield double-bladed lightsabers...

On 4/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, Stan Fresh said:

Or if you don't care about dual attacks you can stack two defensive sabers and trigger those improved parries/reflects like a boss.

I thought you can only proc one parry/improved per attack?

Other part of your answer cleared that up thanks

2 minutes ago, Luahk said:

I thought you can only proc one parry/improved per attack?

Other part of your answer cleared that up thanks

Close, you can trigger them once per hit. You can have multiple hits on a single attack (auto-fire, linked, dual-wielding).

I believe he is referring to the ability to stack the Defensive quality to increase the amount of Threat generated by an opponent's attack.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Close, you can trigger them once per hit. You can have multiple hits on a single attack (auto-fire, linked, dual-wielding).

Nani?!?!

So can you activate parry multiple times? Can you activate improved parry multiple times?

Also if someone uses improved parry against you they technically did not make a check..

So can you parry then?

15 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Nani?!?!

So can you activate parry multiple times? Can you activate improved parry multiple times?

7 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Also if someone uses improved parry against you they technically did not make a check..

So can you parry then?

Yes, you can activate parry multiple times, but still only once per hit. You can Parry against any hit from a Brawl, Melee, or Lightsaber weapon. You can only use Improved Parry if the attack against you rolls a Despair or 3 Threat. As for whether or not you can use it more than once, it's hard to know for sure. It is not specified as to whether or not it applies in the case of a second hit. There are good cases to be made for both, but my opinion is that you can trigger Improved Parry once for each hit as it doesn't say "once per round" or something to that effect.

Yes, you can Parry against Improved Parry (there's actually a topic covering this now), but you can't use Improved Parry against Improved Parry.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Yes, you can activate parry multiple times, but still only once per hit. You can Parry against any hit from a Brawl, Melee, or Lightsaber weapon. You can only use Improved Parry if the attack against you rolls a Despair or 3 Threat. As for whether or not you can use it more than once, it's hard to know for sure. It is not specified as to whether or not it applies in the case of a second hit. There are good cases to be made for both, but my opinion is that you can trigger Improved Parry once for each hit as it doesn't say "once per round" or something to that effect.

Yes, you can Parry against Improved Parry (there's actually a topic covering this now), but you can't use Improved Parry against Improved Parry.

I ert...anyway

So, assuming you were the one ruling it, if someone triggered 2 despair..and enough advantage to use linked. I then use parry twice can I use improved parry twice?

Yeah my comment was about giving the enemy a huge stack of setbacks to their attack by using two defense-oriented sabers.

8 hours ago, Luahk said:

So, assuming you were the one ruling it, if someone triggered 2 despair..and enough advantage to use linked. I then use parry twice can I use improved parry twice?

Yes.

14 hours ago, Luahk said:

Nani?!?!

14 hours ago, Luahk said:

So can you parry then?

The Parry talent doesn't include any verbiage to restrict how often it can be activated; as long as the character is able to pay the strain cost, they can use the talent. Same with Reflect, which is a saving grace for an Inquisitor facing down a PC toting an autofire weapon, who otherwise would be chewed up and spat out in a single round.

With Parry and Reflect, both say they trigger on a hit, not a successful attack. So yes, if somebody uses Improved Parry or Improved Reflect against an attack your character made, that character can respond with Parry or Reflect as appropriate to the attack type.

With using Improved Parry (or Improved Reflect), that gets a little trickier due to wording and circumstances required. Improved Parry/Reflect only trigger if two conditions are met, those being the defender used Parry/Reflect against the hit, and the attacker generated either 3 threat or a despair. If your character is attacked by someone using a Linked 1 weapon (such as the HH-50 blaster pistol from Stay on Target or a double-bladed lightsaber) and the result of their combat check includes 2 advantage and 2 despairs, then if the attacker choses to activate the Linked 1 quality to score an extra hit, you as the defender can elect to activate Parry/Reflect (as appropriate to the attack type) to negate a portion of the incoming damage, and then claim the two despair results to use Improved Parry/Reflect as per those talents' wording, using one despair per hit. Now, if the attacker opted to instead spend those 2 advantage on something else, then you could only use Improved Parry/Reflect once, as there was only one hit. Same logic works for any attack that generates multiple hits, such as two weapon fighting and autofire.

4 hours ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

With Parry and Reflect, both say they trigger on a hit

They say they trigger on a hit from a combat check. And Improved Parry/Reflect hits without a check, ergo doesn't trigger anything that requires a check.

See the other thread.

13 hours ago, Stan Fresh said:

They say they trigger on a hit from a combat check. And Improved Parry/Reflect hits without a check, ergo doesn't trigger anything that requires a check.

See the other thread.

Yeah I read that myself and was like..i'm just not gonna poke this anymore. I did have something else to ask but it escapes me........I'm unsure if it would be appropriate for this thread so i'll move it elsewhere. Thanks though peeps.

So a few things, like intense focus and will of the force, that specify they're for use on a skill checks. Is that for non combat stuff only?

I am not familiar with Will of the Force, but Intense Focus does not specify "General Skills" or "Knowledge Skills" so I think it is safe to assume that it applies to Combat Skills as well.

3 hours ago, Luahk said:

So a few things, like intense focus and will of the force, that specify they're for use on a skill checks. Is that for non combat stuff only?

Will of the force applies to all checks. But it is a 20 point talent in a tree that reqires a minimum force rating of 2

On 4/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, Luahk said:

Actually, dual wielding lightsabers is friggin' awesome... if you don't try to attack with the second lightsaber, and just load it up with passive, defensive mods (and have your "lead"/attacking saber loaded up with offensive mods).

On 5/4/2020 at 1:17 AM, emsquared said:

Actually, dual wielding lightsabers is friggin' awesome... if you don't try to attack with the second lightsaber, and just load it up with passive, defensive mods (and have your "lead"/attacking saber loaded up with offensive mods).

So..if both light sabers gave me accurate 2 and I -was- dual wielding an attack roll. Do I gain 4 blue die or 2? since both say accurate 2.

Also..if both are superior..do I gain 2 advantage or 1? Since that says a net advantage.

You only get the roll bonuses (automatic Advantage, Boost, etc.) from your primary weapon.

First, the character denotes one weapon as the primary weapon. When making the combined check, he will be attacking with this weapon.

14 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

You only get the roll bonuses (automatic Advantage, Boost, etc.) from your primary weapon.

Thanks.