Noob questions

By Luahk, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

4 hours ago, Luahk said:

So there's a talent in a spec i'm fond of. Disciplined soul. Basically I was wondering if someone could clairfy why it's so expensive to reach. Am I underestimating it?

another way to read disciplined soul is flip destiny add advantages to a discipline check equal to double your ranks in lore

3 minutes ago, Stormbourne said:

another way to read disciplined soul is flip destiny add advantages to a discipline check equal to double your ranks in lore

That would prevent the nearly unique opportunity to spend both Advantage and Threat on the same roll.

Just now, HappyDaze said:

That would prevent the nearly unique opportunity to spend both Advantage and Threat on the same roll.

my interpretation is that the threats are being counted as advantages and so would cancel out other threat

e.g. success 7 threats --> success 5 advantages 2 threat --> success 3 advantages

Are there crystals that help with force rolls?

8 minutes ago, Luahk said:

If you are a dark side force user, the Corrupted Crystal adds a DSFP to all of your rolls. If you're not a dark side force user, then come back when you are. ?

13 hours ago, Luahk said:

there are two crystals that do exactly that

corrupted crystal adds DS to all for rolls if you are a darkside user

unstable kyber crystal allows you to spend a maneuver to gain +1 FR on your next force check

How would seek work in an opposed check? or does it simply not?

One part of seek is already opposed, your Vigilance vs the targets Discipline. In this instance it’s basically your use of Seek vs another Force users use of Misdirect.

Other uses of seek could have you trying to find a hidden target, that could be your Perception opposed by the targets Stealth.

did you have any examples?

So if i'm using seek to get the triumph against someone?

In that case there’s definitely no direct way to oppose the Triumph, but if the target is a Force sensitive then they could definitely use suppress to try and stop the effect before it even starts

So they make an attempt to activate the power and you use suppress?

Ok, so let’s look at an example of an NPC using Seek on a PC who has suppress.

In most cases the PC will need to have used Suppress on a prior turn, then committed at least one Force dice to keep the effects ongoing. But they could choose to use the upgrade that costs a Destiny Point for a once per session out of turn activation as a reaction to this npc.

Either way the PC is adding between 1 and 3 failures to the NPC’s roll to activate Seek. If the pc is sufficiently powerful they may be reducing the number of pips the npc gets to spend as well.

So it’s the NPC’s turn, they have declared the intent to use Seek Mastery, what’s their dice pool? Well obviously their Force Rating is in the pool, but because the target is a PC it should be an opposed check (see the side bar in the Force chapter of FaD core rule book). So what should the skills be that are used for this? Personally I would go with Perception vs Discipline.

The NPC makes a Perception Check, with their Force Dice, against the PC’s Discipline, then they add those failures from Suppress to the results, and possibly remove some of the Force Pips, if they still succeed then the power worked.

Now if we flip things around, the PC is using Seek Mastery whilst the NPC is using Suppress, it could change. The Seek Mastery isn’t automatically opposed, only when the target is a PC or an important NPC. So if the NPC is just a Rival then the PC would only make a Force Power Check with Force Dice, but the number of rolled pips could still be reduced by the Suppress Power, even though the Failure stuff didn’t come into it.

Just to clarify. If you commit a force dice to senses ongoing effects its either defence or offence right? It's not both. So if I wanted to upgrade an attack i'd have to use an action to uncommit and then the next turn commit to offence and then it'd be upgraded?

12 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Just to clarify. If you commit a force dice to senses ongoing effects its either defence or offence right? It's not both. So if I wanted to upgrade an attack i'd have to use an action to uncommit and then the next turn commit to offence and then it'd be upgraded?

Not quite. You can have one force dice committed to each at the same time. To commit those two dice requires two separate actions as well.

But they are separate?

So If I had force rating 1 and my char was using sense as defence.
One action would be required to uncommit
(second turn)
another action to commit to attack?

Uncommitting is an Incidental that can only be performed at the end of your turn, but not on the turn you committed the dice in the first place.

So in the instance where you want to transition from Defence to Offence you need to end the Defence effect the turn before you start the offence effect.

Ultimately if you only have one force dice you are best to stick to a single option and not try transitioning between them in the middle of a fight

Thank you very much once again! Where does it say about that in the rulebook? Just so I can use this to end the debate.

Your welcome. The entire dice committing process is covered on pages 281-281 of the FaD Core. The specific section on ending an ongoing effect is covered in the very last paragraph, just above the “Force Talents” heading on p282.

Hello everyone, just recently started getting into Force and Destiny and I had a question about some of the Talents. With some of the careers it's possible that a non-ranked talent appears on both. For example, assuming I created a Sentinel who selects the Racer Specialization (Endless Vigil) at the start and completes the entire tree, and later enters the Pilot or Driver Specialization from Age of Rebellion, would they have to purchase Full Throttle, Improved Full Throttle, and Supreme Full Throttle again from that tree to continue past those points or would they count as already having them? This would also apply to the Ship Captain and Imperial Cadet trees from Dawn of Rebellion. The Ranked Talents would obviously stack as detailed in their descriptions but I'm unsure as to how this would work with the non ranked ones. Thanks for any clarification that can be given!

50 minutes ago, LodgeBlackman99 said:

Hello everyone, just recently started getting into Force and Destiny and I had a question about some of the Talents. With some of the careers it's possible that a non-ranked talent appears on both. For example, assuming I created a Sentinel who selects the Racer Specialization (Endless Vigil) at the start and completes the entire tree, and later enters the Pilot or Driver Specialization from Age of Rebellion, would they have to purchase Full Throttle, Improved Full Throttle, and Supreme Full Throttle again from that tree to continue past those points or would they count as already having them? This would also apply to the Ship Captain and Imperial Cadet trees from Dawn of Rebellion. The Ranked Talents would obviously stack as detailed in their descriptions but I'm unsure as to how this would work with the non ranked ones. Thanks for any clarification that can be given!

Non-ranked talents are purchased only once. If you have already purchased a non-ranked talent and it appears again in another of your specializations, you can skip over it and purchase beyond it on the talent tree.

Thanks for the clarification! That's what I was assuming but it's good to know it's been addressed/asked before.

Hello again everyone, I had a quick question regarding rewards. The game I'm currently in has been giving out 5-10 XP on average per 4 hour session. It's been a pretty slow advancement, almost frustratingly so. I was wondering if this is a normal amount of XP that most other groups give out/get or if it's a bit on the low end. Thanks for any help and clarification that can be given!

-Lodge Blackman

1 minute ago, LodgeBlackman99 said:

Hello again everyone, I had a quick question regarding rewards. The game I'm currently in has been giving out 5-10 XP on average per 4 hour session. It's been a pretty slow advancement, almost frustratingly so. I was wondering if this is a normal amount of XP that most other groups give out/get or if it's a bit on the low end. Thanks for any help and clarification that can be given!

-Lodge Blackman

It's listed in the GM section (don't have my book on hand to give you an exact page reference), but the suggested XP award per session is actually 15 to 20XP.

Since you're giving out less than half of that, then yes character progression is going to very slow for your players.

Personally, I use the following method to determine how much XP to hand out after each session:

Showed up to play and was actively involved? 5XP (the baseline)

Each hour spent actually playing the game? +5XP per hour

Played to your character's Motivation in a meaningful way? +5XP to each eligible player.

Role-Played exceptionally well (this one should only be handed out on a very irregular basis)? +5XP to that player

Successfully Achieved Important Adventure Goals/Objectives? +5XP for most goals, +10XP for really important (or campaign critical) goals.

On average, I hand out about 20 to 25XP per each individual session, and anywhere from 30 to 40XP at the end of an adventure (which for me usually averages about three sessions). It's certainly a faster pace of advancement than what the book suggests, but then I feel that starting PCs are a bit on the fragile side and thus don't mind letting them earn their spurs at a quicker rate than what the default XP awards would permit.

8 minutes ago, Donovan Morningfire said:

On average, I hand out about 20 to 25XP per each individual session, and anywhere from 30 to 40XP at the end of an adventure (which for me usually averages about three sessions). It's certainly a faster pace of advancement than what the book suggests, but then I feel that starting PCs are a bit on the fragile side and thus don't mind letting them earn their spurs at a quicker rate than what the default XP awards would permit.

I've asked around and that seems to be the recommended average (15-25 per session) Thanks for the feedback!

I've also been wondering what the average difficulty for low XP characters should be, we're currently sitting on roughly 70 XP beyond racial starting and have been rolling mostly 3 purple dice checks. Based on what I've calculated mathematically and seen in other adventures it feels like that's a bit on the high difficulty side, especially combined with our low advancement rate, am I right in assuming that or am I looking at it the wrong way? (That's also an average and is higher for more noteworthy encounters, we actually had a 4 red dice roll this past session and multiple 4 purple die difficulty checks, so it's definitely been higher. It feels like that's super out our capabilities right now since none of us are super specialized).

Also I wanted to double check, from what I've seen enemies with the 'Nemesis' classification are not equal in power level, am I correct in this or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Thanks again for the help and feedback, just wanting to know if what I've come across is worth bringing up to the GM.