Noob questions

By Luahk, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Farsight: Mastery...does that mean if i'm viewing something from range I zoom into it?

Bind: Duration does this mean that i continue to do the damage per turn? Or would I re-roll each turn?

1 hour ago, Luahk said:

Farsight: Mastery...does that mean if i'm viewing something from range I zoom into it?

Yep. And then some.

Anywhere within Close range is a big area. So if you're like 1 Km north of a building and looking at that building, and you pop this, you can now view the building as if you're 1 cm away, or on the south side of the building, or hovering in the air above the building... heck, technically I think there's nothing stopping you from viewing as if you were inside the building.

1 hour ago, Luahk said:

Bind: Duration does this mean that i continue to do the damage per turn? Or would I re-roll each turn?

Read the long description. If the target is immobilized or staggered they remain so. Doesn't say anything about ongoing damage. You wanna choke em out, you gotta keep rolling.

3 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Read the long description. If the target is immobilized or staggered they remain so. Doesn't say anything about ongoing damage. You wanna choke em out, you gotta keep rolling.

With regards to Bind, I think it was clarified by Sam on an O66 episode that you are correct, that the only effect of Bind that the Duration upgrade affects is indeed keeping the target immobilized (or staggered if that upgrade was activated). Any other effect on subsequent rounds, be it dealing damage, inflicting critical injuries, or moving the target a range band closer/further requires a separate Bind power check.

6 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Yep. And then some.

Anywhere within Close range is a big area. So if you're like 1 Km north of a building and looking at that building, and you pop this, you can now view the building as if you're 1 cm away, or on the south side of the building, or hovering in the air above the building... heck, technically I think there's nothing stopping you from viewing as if you were inside the building.

Ok so what about the range upgrades? Does this not make them irrelevant?

15 minutes ago, Luahk said:

Yes and no.

Yes, with Mastery at a cost of 2 additional Pips you can set your viewing position to anywhere in the Close (Planetary) Range Band.

No, with two ranks in Range you can see from your current position to Extreme (Personal) for only 1 Additional Pips.

So it's a Pip Economy issue. Yes, Mastery is "better" but Range covers most situations, and costs less, either allow a crumbier roll to still work, or allow use for other upgrades.

I always assumed you could combine Mastery and Range to move the spot you can see from to even further than Close Planetary Range

9 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

I always assumed you could combine Mastery and Range to move the spot you can see from to even further than Close Planetary Range

Interesting. I'd like an answer to this as well.

On 7/24/2018 at 10:53 AM, Luahk said:

my interpretation is the range effects the base power as does the 360 vision and this then effects the mastery

so example i see a fortress at extreme range i use farsight rolling 6 FP meaning i can spend a optical probe instantly to the location and from there i can see everything within extreme range within 360 degrees as if it were a well lit day if i had rolled more i could cause one of the fortress's walls to disappear and see inside it or see it in perfect deail

3 hours ago, Stormbourne said:

my interpretation is the range effects the base power as does the 360 vision and this then effects the mastery

so example i see a fortress at extreme range i use farsight rolling 6 FP meaning i can spend a optical probe instantly to the location and from there i can see everything within extreme range within 360 degrees as if it were a well lit day if i had rolled more i could cause one of the fortress's walls to disappear and see inside it or see it in perfect deail

but can i apply them to the mastery to see super far planetary?

1 hour ago, Luahk said:

but can i apply them to the mastery to see super far planetary?

I sent a question to ffg, I’ll post when I get an answer

I wanted to bump this but also focus on what I figure it to be.
I figured Farsight as zooming almost...so if you just got mastery you'd zoom to that range. Having it without the others would mean you couldn't zoom to the other ranges?

SHRUG

22 hours ago, Luahk said:

I wanted to bump this but also focus on what I figure it to be.
I figured Farsight as zooming almost...so if you just got mastery you'd zoom to that range. Having it without the others would mean you couldn't zoom to the other ranges?

SHRUG

Basic Farsight allows you to see in darkness or without using your eyes. So if you are blindfolded, have the blinded crit, have cyber-eyes and have been bit with an ion weapon, or it's dark, this is useful. If it's not dark, and you have working eyes and aren't blindfolded or something, there is no point.

The "Fine Details" control upgrade is what allows you to "zoom in" and really make out something detailed.

Mastery allows you to astral-project or something to see as if you were in a totally different location.

Example:

It's night and I'm looking at a blacked-out Imperial checkpoint at Long range.

Without the power I get 2 setback on all perception checks to observe the checkpoint and can only see what is visible from this vantage point.

With the basic power and no range upgrade I can only see to Medium range, beyond that it's still shrouded in darkness, see without the power.

+1 range upgrade I can spend 1 FP and extend to Long range, but still only see what can be seen from this distance and vantage point. I can see the checkpoint as if it's daytime. There is a stormtrooper standing there holding something, and a landspeeder has pulled up.

+Control (Details) I can spend 1 FP and select 1 detail visible from this vantage point and "Zoom in" on it. I select the trooper, he is holding a datapad, but it's facing the trooper so I can't see the screen.

If instead of range I +Mastery I can spend 2 FP and see as if my vantage point was standing behind the Stormtrooper looking over his shoulder. I can see he's holding a datapad and there's someone in an officer's uniform in the landspeeder talking to the trooper.

But I still need to spend 1 more FP and activate Control (Details) if I want to pick a specific item and see details. I can see the datapad is an access list, the image, name and rank of the officer in the landspeeder is Col. Jok Kaltier and he's flagged as authorized to enter.

Got it?

3 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Basic Farsight allows you to see in darkness or without using your eyes. So if you are blindfolded, have the blinded crit, have cyber-eyes and have been bit with an ion weapon, or it's dark, this is useful. If it's not dark, and you have working eyes and aren't blindfolded or something, there is no point.

The "Fine Details" control upgrade is what allows you to "zoom in" and really make out something detailed.

Mastery allows you to astral-project or something to see as if you were in a totally different location.

Example:

It's night and I'm looking at a blacked-out Imperial checkpoint at Long range.

Without the power I get 2 setback on all perception checks to observe the checkpoint and can only see what is visible from this vantage point.

With the basic power and no range upgrade I can only see to Medium range, beyond that it's still shrouded in darkness, see without the power.

+1 range upgrade I can spend 1 FP and extend to Long range, but still only see what can be seen from this distance and vantage point. I can see the checkpoint as if it's daytime. There is a stormtrooper standing there holding something, and a landspeeder has pulled up.

+Control (Details) I can spend 1 FP and select 1 detail visible from this vantage point and "Zoom in" on it. I select the trooper, he is holding a datapad, but it's facing the trooper so I can't see the screen.

If instead of range I +Mastery  I can spend 2 FP and see as if my vantage point was standing behind the Stormtrooper looking over his shoulder. I can see he's holding a datapad and there's someone in an officer's uniform in the landspeeder talking to the trooper.

But I still need to spend 1 more FP and activate Control (Details) if I want to pick a specific item and see details. I can see the datapad is an access list, the image, name and rank of the officer in the landspeeder is Col. Jok Kaltier and he's flagged as authorized to enter.

Got it?

Swish. Thanks.

Bind........so if I hypothetically rolled like 14 pips on mastery. They auto die?
As i'm reading it bind mastery effectively treats all the pips as a rank in lethal blows? Do they also take damage per pip?

14 pips is, on average, going to require a Story Point plus 7 Strain and 7 Conflict no matter what Force user you are, so you don’t exactly get off lightly.

its also an opposed Discipline Check, but if you can roll 14 pips then you probably have a ridiculous Discipline.

then as far as the actual mastery you are correct. You gain all the benefits of spending those pips on the basic power and the upgrades, plus you get +10 for every pip you spent. You get to double dip.

Also, you don’t auto die, there are talents that can reduce crit rolls. Sure, would still be very nasty.

Rules Question:
Hi guys, I’m writing asking about the Farsight Force Power, and in particular the combination of Mastery and Range upgrades. If I activate the Mastery Upgrade, to see from a position within Close Planetary Range, can I then activate the Range upgrade to move that position further away? So as an example i roll four Force Pips I can use, I spend 1 on the base power, two on activating the Mastery, then the last one on two ranks of Range. Does that example allow me to see from a position within Medium Planetary range? Or would it only extend the range of the basic power?

Answer

Hi Richard! It’s the latter – the Range upgrade extends the range of the power for seeing, not the distance from the user for the Mastery upgrade. Maybe work with your GM to create another Range upgrade that extends the distance for Mastery, though—that would be cool! Perhaps 15 or so.

Hope this helps and thanks for playing!

Tim Huckelbery

Follow up question

Thanks Tim,

I really appreciate the answer, it does lead to a second question though. Does the Range upgrade apply to the 3 5xp Control Upgrades?

Richard

Follow Up Answer

Hi Richard! Yes it does.

Thank you.

So....using force is my ally...you can hit unleash 3 times in one turn? Is this the only power that does this? Or are there other talents that allow me to have a force equiv of unrelenting aggression?

The Force is my ally is a once per session Talent, so it doesn’t even let you do that. Attacking more than once is almost impossible.

So there's a talent in a spec i'm fond of. Disciplined soul. Basically I was wondering if someone could clairfy why it's so expensive to reach. Am I underestimating it?

6 minutes ago, Luahk said:

So there's a talent in a spec i'm fond of. Disciplined soul. Basically I was wondering if someone could clairfy why it's so expensive to reach. Am I underestimating it?

Which spec is it in?

Force adherent

If you're making a Discipline check and you manage to roll a lot of Threat, this enables you to spend a Destiny point to spend some of the them (up to Ranks of Lore) as Advantage. It's OK if you're making lots of Discipline checks. It also has the weird effect that you might actually spend both Advantage and Threat on the same roll (if you can't spend all of the rolled Threat as Advantages because it exceeds your Lore). It's not what I consider to be an amazing talent, at least not on the Force Adherent. If you're playing an actual Force-user that uses Discipline with powers it becomes more useful.