STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

https://www.starwars.com/video/the-colossus-sets-a-course-resistance-rewind

https://www.starwars.com/news/buckets-list-extra-no-escape-part-2-star-wars-resistance

Art Director Amy Beth Christenson fills us in on the story behind the Colossus: “From the beginning, even at the first writers conference, it was talked about that the Colossus was actually a massive ship, buried in the sea floor under water, with the visible top part being a very small percentage of the mobile base. Although it was always the plan to have a huge ship under water, the plan was to reveal this at the very end of the season. There are a few clues throughout the season: In some of the first episodes, you see some lights that might be a reflection under the water, but in reality they are from the rest of the ship below water. Then, in later episodes, you actually see the top part of the structure just under the water, to start to imply that there is more ship. Even though it was planned all along, the final design of this section of the Colossus wasn’t completed until the final episode.”

The Colossus was designed to fly upright/vertically, like a B-wing or the Resistance bombers, for a couple of reasons. Amy Beth Christenson: “First, it helped distinguish it from a Star Destroyer, since both were wedge-shaped. Second, because Doza’s tower would still act as the bridge of the ship, it kept the characters and set upright in space. This gave it a similar feel to Skystrike Academy from Star Wars Rebels, so to help distinguish the two bases, more emphasis was put on breaking up the silhouettes and shapes of the Colossus, and repeating the angles, panels, and details that Bill George put into the top section.”

Interesting stuff, and partially answers some of the questions I have about the design.

Does anyone know where "SpirtOf" comes from that's in a lot of the concept art? Is it just a design tag or actually meaning something? I was thinking it's probably just a reference to Spirit of St. Louis (as it was a plane used in a race of sorts) but it could also be Spirit Of the Resistance or something of that nature.

1 minute ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I mean even why it needs to have this orientation in water. I'm talking about the design choice to have it vertical at its core, not just how it would fly considering that it was already decided it was vertical. I guess the fact that it's also capable of spaceflight might have been a little more obvious that way, as it might have looked more like the wedge design of an SD that way.

Being able to just open some ports to permit water to enter for processing (if they're using hydrogen for reactor fuel in Star Wars, I'm honestly not sure what the fuel actually is) instead having to run pipes outside of the hull? If that's the case, building along the lines of an iceberg makes sense since you can keep everything inside the hull itself.

7 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I mean even why it needs to have this orientation in water. I'm talking about the design choice to have it vertical at its core, not just how it would fly considering that it was already decided it was vertical. I guess the fact that it's also capable of spaceflight might have been a little more obvious that way, as it might have looked more like the wedge design of an SD that way.

The design choice was mentioned. They wanted this large station to be a ship, it had a wedge shape, so they chose to make it fly vertical to differentiate the silhouette between it and, say a first order star destroyer.

There have been several ships that fly with a vertical silhouette, Slave I, b-wings, resistance bombers, the Coronet. If imperial ships have a wedge shape, how do you differentiate the difference? Make a different silhouette. Perhaps the manufactuer was a different company than KDY?

As to we've never seen an imperial ship profile like this before, well, they mention a similarity to Skystrike Academy, so perhaps it is a similar class and skystrike is actually a ship as well. I mean it's not like space stations are immoble in star wars.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Being able to just open some ports to permit water to enter for processing (if they're using hydrogen for reactor fuel in Star Wars, I'm honestly not sure what the fuel actually is) instead having to run pipes outside of the hull? If that's the case, building along the lines of an iceberg makes sense since you can keep everything inside the hull itself.

We have remarkably little information about fuel. There's this article about fuel , with a couple of links off of it. There's this one, and there's the Lothal city fuel depot. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some articles but all of these are pretty sparse so far.

That said, the Collossus doesn't seem to be a processing or mining station but rather only a refueling station. It's possible there's more to it than that but it also makes me question it's strategic value for the FO. Water could still be useful for cooling fuel, if cooling would reduce volatility and the cooling didn't need to be too extreme.

I have a feeling we won't ever have a solid in-lore reasoning. It was made this way because the showmakers liked it this way. Ultimately acceptable but I still like to know when they've thought through that sort of thing.

8 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

The design choice was mentioned. They wanted this large station to be a ship, it had a wedge shape, so they chose to make it fly vertical to differentiate the silhouette between it and, say a first order star destroyer.

There have been several ships that fly with a vertical silhouette, Slave I, b-wings, resistance bombers, the Coronet. If imperial ships have a wedge shape, how do you differentiate the difference? Make a different silhouette. Perhaps the manufactuer was a different company than KDY?

As to we've never seen an imperial ship profile like this before, well, they mention a similarity to Skystrike Academy, so perhaps it is a similar class and skystrike is actually a ship as well. I mean it's not like space stations are immoble in star wars.

I had forgotten about Skystrike and looking at it again, it seems quite possible. They could even be from the same shipyards.

On 3/17/2019 at 1:42 AM, Animewarsdude said:

Its really almost like writers don't know what a gravity well is or how far a planet's gravity extends. 

Does it matter? Ships have jumped into hyperspace from just above the surface in the films.

I'm surprised they mentioned gravity at all. The only explanation that doesn't create plotholes would be "the bigger a ship is, the higher up it has to be before it can jump".

On 3/17/2019 at 10:52 PM, Captain Lackwit said:

Hey, I told you it'd be worth it! 

It absolutely wasn't. The ending was good, but didn't come close to making the entire awful season worth the time.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:03 PM, KiraYamatoSF said:

Vonreg is a bit sad to see go but I think he was really there to show improvement on Kaz's part. And man, he is really shaping up to be a great pilot, if not already, which I would agree to.

Considering he spent the whole season pretending to be a mechanic, and not practicing flying, I'd say he was already.

Edited by DarthEnderX
15 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Does it matter? Ships have jumped into hyperspace from just above the surface in the films.

I'm surprised they mentioned gravity at all. The only explanation that doesn't create plotholes would be "the bigger a ship is, the higher up it has to be before it can jump".

I very much like consistency so it mostly just bugs me. And all the jumps from orbit to my knowledge are something very new being introduced if TFA and Rogue One before this point, both of which were treated as rare or dangerous actions rather than just some norm. It also doesn't help that they mention the gravity well and how they need to get out of it before they could jump, but they were still clearly within not only the planet's orbit but in the atmosphere itself.

18 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Considering he spent the whole season pretending to be a mechanic, and not practicing flying, I'd say he was already.

That is very fair considering that Kaz was able to hit Vonreg in the opening when Vonreg was distracted by Poe and this time he was able to shoot and kill Vonreg while the FO pilot was distracted trying to shoot down Yeager. I think it would have helped if they established more of a rivalry, since Kaz fights him what all of 4 times throughout the season? Once in the pilot in his T-85, once in a red T-70 when they went to the one abandoned facility where he spent most of it fleeing, and twice in the Fireball when he went to go and investigate with Poe on that one mission in which I think it was Poe who helped make Vonreg withdraw and the final time being this episode. Outside of that I think Kaz might have seen/interacted with Vonreg one other time when the character was at the Colossus.

Without any real build up for the villain his death didn't really have any impact, Vult Skeriss from Rebels worked better in a similar role in Rebels before he was killed by Hera in the final season.

If they wanted to show Kaz growing as a pilot they could have, you know, actually had him participate in the races that seemed like they were going to be the focus of the show for awhile. Now it seems like that part of the series is over already, and we never really engaged with it. Unless race culture is inexplicably huge wherever the Colossus emerges from hyperspace.

And yeah, did we even get to see Vonreg's face? His ship was more of a character than he was.

3 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

I very much like consistency so it mostly just bugs me. And all the jumps from orbit to my knowledge are something very new being introduced if TFA and Rogue One before this point, both of which were treated as rare or dangerous actions rather than just some norm.

Granted, but dangerous or not it's still possible. So if the situation is "try and jump to hyperspace now, or get blown out of the sky" story protagonists are going to jump to hyperspace every time.

The point is still, this is the canon that Disney has established after discarding all the EU's hyperspace rules, and there's no real explanation for why a U-Wing can jump to hyperspace 50 feet off the ground while the Colossus needs to "leave gravity" first unless, as I said, ship size is a factor.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I'm a bit busy, well actually lazy to be honest, but has anyone compared the classes of hyperdrive to any of these maneuvers, such as being closer to gravity wells?

53 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I'm a bit busy, well actually lazy to be honest, but has anyone compared the classes of hyperdrive to any of these maneuvers, such as being closer to gravity wells?

Partial list:

U-Wing - Class 1 (Rebels - Kindred, Hera Syndulla through a construction module)
U-Wing - Class 1 (Rogue One, escaping Jedha, from within atmosphere)
Consular- class cruiser - Class 2 (Clone Wars - Jedi Crash, jumped from within atmosphere of planet)
Raddus - Not specified (TLJ - Considering how it was used, though, maybe shouldn't be on the list here)
Millenium Falcon - Class 0.5 (TFA, jumping into atmosphere of Starkiller Base)
Colossus - Class 2 (Resistance)

I couldn't quickly find a list that described jumps into a gravity well similar to the MF jump into STarkiller but I imagine it did happen other times.

Edited by CaptainJaguarShark

128 Facts

On 3/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

128 Facts

Fact#129: Having metal Stormtrooper armor doesn’t make you good at your job. Looking like C3PO’s jock brother doubly so.

Looks like the FO finally gets their bomber, or at least it looks like it could be a bomber. The ship next to Tierny's head and it shows up again in the distance very blurry past the one tie/fo.

dN2tsVt.png

Better image of it. They basically took the old Tie Bomber wings off, flipped them around and put them back on.

6JfVnRw.png

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Dammnnnnnnn

Tam as a first order pilot.. I love it. It looks like Rucklin is a first order pilot as well?

Is that X-wing in the front a T-65?

Hmm. Reminds me of this.

That is exactly what it looks like...it would be difficult to reinvent the wheel !!!

Episode 1, Season 2

Spoilers (obviously)

Quick summary:

Picks up right after last season. Colossus exits hyperspace 3 parsecs away from D'Qar. Opening is comedy, shifts to horror -- homage to Alien. Gravity's going loopy, Aunt Z's patrons are partying in zero-g and getting drunk. CB-23 is sent down to fix the gravity, and is attacked by the evil BB droid from last season.

Neeku is sent down after CB, finds him shut down and his head disconnected from his body. Neeku is also attacked. Finally Kaz and Torra go down, find Neeku tied to the wall, both are attacked -- the BB's red light creeping closer to them from the shadows. They manage to eject him into space Alien-style.

Gravity is restored. End of the episode cuts back to Tam, who walks in in First Order uniform, saying to herself she's going to be a pilot. Receives a message from Kaz trying to apologise -- she turns it off. Grabs a TIE helmet and puts it on.

End of episode.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

is there a trailer?

4 hours ago, RuusMarev said:

is there a trailer?

Hmm, I’ve checked and I’ve seen synopsis and reviews but not the trialer, I assume because they have the full episode but not a trailer.

dtxba150mhs21.jpg

This is the reverse side of the Seaon 2 poster

pg10ffq4lfs21.jpg

The cast at Lou Malnati’s Pizza

Everyone who’s met the cast says they are friendly, Chris is ‘super friendly,’ as to New York vs Chicago Pizza ... NEW YORK for the win any day!

qu5evbingtp21.png

For fans of Baron Elrik Vonreg

20 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Hmm. Reminds me of this.

I was there when West End Games created this ship. Like in the editorial office. There were some who said no one would care, I was in the camp that someone, somwhere would notice one day.

And here we are 😂