STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

1 minute ago, Animewarsdude said:

Seems to only be used by them, I think it was used only in TPM and an episode or two of Clone Wars.

What I mean is, "Weird *** stuff that's totally inconsistent with previously established technology" isn't exclusive to THE BIG BAD MOUSE or something.

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

??? Wet light hologram?

Ah.

Is that even a hologram? I always assumed that was just a regular viewscreen.

Edited by Forgottenlore
1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

Ah.

Is that even a hologram? I always assumed that was just a regular viewscreen.

Who knows? But one way or another, if that exists, then some dude looking behind them in a hologram isn't a big deal.

5 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

What I mean is, "Weird *** stuff that's totally inconsistent with previously established technology" isn't exclusive to THE BIG BAD MOUSE or something. ο»Ώ

I mean not really, we see view screens in the OT, specifically between Vader and Ozzel in ESB and Han at Endor in ROTJ to get into the shield bunker. The view screen shown off in TPM is no different that it just has a ripple effect added onto it which could just be a little flare added to it, but it functionally works the same as we see in the OT.

Edited by Animewarsdude
1 minute ago, Animewarsdude said:

I mean not really, we see view screens in the OT, specifically between Vader and Ozzel in ESB and Han at Endor in ROTJ to get into the shield bunker. The view screen shown off in TPM is no different that it just has a ripple effect added onto it which could just be a little flare add to it, but it functionally works the same as we see in the OT.

I

I never said we hadn't ever seen viewscreens before

5 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I

I never said we hadn't ever seen viewscreens before

Then how is it inconsistent with what we've seen in the universe before that point?

On 2/1/2019 at 9:26 PM, Animewarsdude said:

Then how is it inconsistent with what we've seen in the universe before that point?

It's clearly a different type of hologram. Sorry, the fanbase likes to think anything new is inconsistent: see: Anything in TLJ. Really, absolutely anything.

31 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

It's clearly a different type of hologram. Sorry, the fanbase likes to think anything new is inconsistent: see: Anything in TLJ. Really, absolutely anything.

But it isn't a hologram, it is a view screen. There is no hologram in the TPM scene in question just neimodians looking at a viewscreen, which as you agreed to we've seen in the OT beforehand. Ergo, it isn't inconsistent with what came before.

19 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

But it isn't a hologram, it is a view screen. There is no hologram in the TPM scene in question just neimodians looking at a viewscreen, which as you agreed to we've seen in the OT beforehand. Ergo, it isn't inconsistent with what came before.

It isn't terribly inconsistent, no.

Latest episode was pretty good! Saw the First Order betraying the Pirates a mile away, but I was really excited to watch it happen. Doza really is the most interesting character right now, watching him wrestle with the decision to work with the First Order or not. I wonder, could the Pirates end up teaming up with The Platform to fight the First Order? Probably not now, but maybe in the distant future.

I also really enjoyed this one. I'm curious to see what's implied by Synara being ready to come home. Is there more to her than what we've seen so far?

Neeku was delightfully annoying in this episode. His inability to comprehend subtlety is mostly enjoyable.

Seeing some people on the platform as ambivalent regarding the First Order was interesting. Realistically, most people in the universe probably saw the regime change from the GR to GE and later from NR to FO, etc, as mostly meaningless to their experience, not realizing until later on how bad it actually is under an oppressive government. Tam's dismissal about Synara being uncomfortable with the FO, "Why? They're just protecting the station," is an insight into how people in the universe on the large might view these changing times.

How deep the Collosus goes under the waves. resistance-116-concept-art-gallery-10_99

1 minute ago, CaptainIxidor said:

How deep the Collosus goes under the waves. resistance-116-concept-art-gallery-10_99

That... is a big station. Have we heard who built it, or why? I vaguely remember it being an imperial station, but perhaps they just occupied it, and someone else built it?

Perhaps the ancestors of the current Chelidae made it? They certainly maintain it.

17 minutes ago, CaptainIxidor said:

I don't think Colossus station is going to be staying in the water for the entirety of the series. It looks like someone took a Victory and gave it the Firespray treatment, but that is a capital ship hull.

36 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

That... is a big station. Have we heard who built it, or why? I vaguely remember it being an imperial station, but perhaps they just occupied it, and someone else built it?

Perhaps the ancestors of the current Chelidae made it? They certainly maintain it.

20 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

I don't think Colossus station is going to be staying in the water for the entirety of the series. It looks like someone took a Victory and gave it the Firespray treatment, but that is a capital ship hull.

It was built during the Imperial era, as a "super tanker fuel depot," and is one of the last of the sorts surviving into the rise of the FO.

Maybe it could also be mobile. That would be an interesting change. That said, I think it really is just a installation. It's not made for mining, so maybe there's something about having an ocean station that provided efficient fuel storage in some way.

It could really be that the station is just in a strategic location along space lanes, or it could be there's some secret tech deep beneath the seas or something.

Just now, CaptainIxidor said:

It was built during the Imperial era, as a "super tanker fuel depot," and is one of the last of the sorts surviving into the rise of the FO.

And the Death Star was "supposed" to break apart dead worlds to allow ease of access to the minerals contained within... One of the writers read the Legends series with Admiral Dahllia and Kyp Duron in it I think. Honestly I may be seeing something that isn't really there but that looks like a warship with the same flight orientation as a Firespray, possibly with an overcharged turbolaser in the lower third. Either a strategically placed fuel depot or a piece of abandoned Imperial military tech (IE a battlecruiser with a "super laser") on an out of the way world would draw the FO, especially the latter.

Perhaps the colossus is actually the Sun Crusher from legends. 😜

7 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Perhaps the colossus is actually the Sun Crusher from legends. 😜

It has the rough shape down so there could very likely be some inspiration from that Deus Ex Machina monstrosity of a lazy plot piece. At least with the shape.

3 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

It has the rough shape down so there could very likely be some inspiration from that Deus Ex Machina monstrosity of a lazy plot piece. At least with the shape.

Let us hope that the similarity is only that, a passing resemblance.

6 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Let us hope that the similarity is only that, a passing resemblance.

Even if it is an Imp warship with a really big gun they'd have to shrink Colossus Station by a couple orders of magnitude in size and hand wave how the heck it go the armor for it to even be close to what the Sun Crusher was. :)

Edited by Hiemfire

actually it looks rather similar in profile to the Skystrike Academy facility.

the Imperial complex on lothal similarly looked like imperial construction stations, so perhaps the empire has a set of standard hullforms for support structures, which they customize with specific equipment.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, Hiemfire said:

Even if it is an Imp warship with a really big gun they'd have to shrink Colossus Station by a couple orders of magnitude in size and hand wave how the heck it go the armor for it to even be close to what the Sun Crusher was. :)

It’s actually 3000 suncrushers connected Voltron-like

8 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

the Imperial complex on lothal similarly looked like imperial construction stations, so perhaps the empire h ο»Ώ as ο»Ώ a set of standard hullforms for support structures, which they customize with specific equipment.

You are right, it does look very similar. They likely did reuse assets. Perhaps Colossus and Skystrike share a hostile (to human life) world station platform?

8 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

the Imperial complex on lothal similarly looked like imperial construction stations, so perhaps the empire has a set of standard hullforms for support structures, which they customize with specific equipment.

Nice catch! It would not at all surprise me for their bases to be highly modular to some extent. Having fabrication setup for specific structures and then putting those structures together for varied purposes seems to be a highly efficient method of construction if done well.

1 hour ago, CaptainIxidor said:

Nice catch! It would not at all surprise me for their bases to be highly modular to some extent. Having fabrication setup for specific structures and then putting those structures together for varied purposes seems to be a highly efficient method of construction if done well.

Indeed. If only they'd tried standardised mass production with their fighters.....oh, wait. :P

Yeah, I'd assume that unless they've occupied someone else's pre-existing base, the 'same' imperial facility in a given star system has probably about 80% commonality with every other one across the galaxy.

Colossus looks a lot larger than skystrike academy, though.

On β€Ž2β€Ž/β€Ž4β€Ž/β€Ž2019 at 6:32 PM, CaptainIxidor said:

Seeing some people on the platform as ambivalent regarding the First Order was interesting. Realistically, most people in the universe probably saw the regime change from the GR to GE and later from NR to FO, etc, as mostly meaningless to their experience, not realizing until later on how bad it actually is under an oppressive government.

The whole 'cold war' theme and "we're trying to get the republic to pay attention to the fact that they're really a threat and no-one's listening" is a good part of this series and the Poe Dameron comics, because it helps fill in the blanks of why the Resistance is operating on a shoestring, and why Republic gets so catastrophically caught with its pants down in The Force Awakens .

Edited by Magnus Grendel