L5R Miniatures game

By XTrueFinale, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Having to assemble miniatures has turned me off on a lot of miniatures games. Minor damage to my hands makes assembling them difficult and painting impossible.

It's why I won't touch Legions but will buy everything Imperial Assault. I'd love to see something like IA for L5R.

Just doing a minor Threadomancy ritual to remind folks that if they are interested in ordering for the Mini-crate first deadline for the Yokuni model is a little over two weeks away.

https://www.mini-crate.com/l5r/

I think I'm gonna have to limit myself to just subscribing once they announce the next is the Crab.

I hate it when my car hates it when I try to buy nice things.

I subscribed to the L5R minicrate. I'm excited to see what they end up doing. Maybe it's financially irresponsible on me to do right before Christmas, but I love painting models and I want to encourage the development of L5R models.

30 minutes ago, phillos said:

I subscribed to the L5R minicrate. I'm excited to see what they end up doing. Maybe it's financially irresponsible on me to do right before Christmas, but I love painting models and I want to encourage the development of L5R models.

I'm in the same boat. I already have a ton of the old Clan War minis for gaming models but that Yokuni was so sweet looking I couldn't resist.

I love that Kaito Kosori is getting so much love considering she's a new character. Also I really love the way Tomonatsu looks. I guess it's sort of fitting that the Crab character they chose to honor in this way is already dead in the story.

I'm pretty hyped to get these. I hope they keep doing it.

Edited by phillos

50491158_10161321080635537_4844355782810

Just finished my Togashi Yokuni. Posted elsewhere but figured I’d share here. These paint up like a dream and I’d encourage any of you on the fence to subscribe so the partnership continues!

Not much of a painter myself, but I did enjoy working on mine. The Naga was a lot of fun, though Yokuni's banded armor was pretty iffy XD Yours turned out great!

L5R minis.jpg

Edit: Clearly I need to work on my photo focus as much as painting :P

Edited by AradonTemplar
16 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

Not much of a painter myself, but I did enjoy working on mine. The Naga was a lot of fun, though Yokuni's banded armor was pretty iffy XD Yours turned out great!

Thanks man! It was a lot of fun to paint, if you start with the harder to reach recessed areas it makes the detail work a lot easier!

Glad to see some others painting them up as well, hopefully others jump on the Mini crate so the line continues!

Based on his art I really want to paint a Hida Kisada 😀

Edited by Liono58
17 hours ago, AradonTemplar said:

L5R minis.jpg

Edit: Clearly I need to work on my photo focus as much as painting :P

I've never been good at miniature photography so I can't criticize. My pictures always come out looking crappy. I like your colors on the naga. the scales look nice and shiny.

Edited by phillos

There is a way to buy the miniatures I want without make any subscription? Because I can't find in the web site. I must be blind...

8 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

There is a way to buy the miniatures I want without make any subscription? Because I can't find in the web site. I must be blind...

They are only available through the subscription, and are limited time releases so once the subscription window for that month closes the particular figure will not be offered again. Best bet if you don't want to subscribe is start checking E-bay.

I love LOTR, but I was so hoping that this was a precursor to FFG putting out a Descent style boardgame for L5R. Now that Journeys in Middle Earth was announce it seems like that possibility is a long way off. I feel like they try and stagger those sorts of releases so they don't compete with each other.

19 hours ago, Victarion13 said:

You can purchase single ones but need to do so in advance. Currently Hida Tomonatsu is the March model and you have until Feb 5th to “order” one. After that you can sign up for the next one, and so on and so forth.

Unless I misunderstood the minicrate guidelines you can “subscribe” for a single figure.

Edited by Liono58

Thanks to all who answered. I probably will check e-bay and similar place.

Finished up the Naga Hunter today. I don't think it's as good as my Yokuni but am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Was trying to capture the feel of Shinomen Mori with the base.

50599267_10161341390680537_116578091156897792_o.jpg

On 1/26/2019 at 7:20 PM, Liono58 said:

Finished up the Naga Hunter today. I don't think it's as good as my Yokuni but am pretty pleased with how it turned out. Was trying to capture the feel of Shinomen Mori with the base.

50599267_10161341390680537_116578091156897792_o.jpg

If you allow me some criticism, I think you should have used a different color for the frontal part of the snake body. I can appreciate you used a lighter green on that part, but a yellow (or at least a yellowish green) would’ve been better.

As it is right now, it has too much green, and those decorative branches also green doesn’t make the thing better.

The quality of the painting is over the top, it’s just that the combination of colors can be better, IMO.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, Tabris2k said:

If you allow me some criticism, I think you should have used a different color for the frontal part of the snake body. I can appreciate you used a lighter green on that part, but a yellow (or at least a yellowish green) would’ve been better.

As it is right now, it has too much green, and those decorative branches also green doesn’t make the thing better.

The quality of the painting is over the top, it’s just that the combination of colors can be better, IMO.

No harm in constructive criticism! I hear what you are saying but do feel the distinctly different greens looks better in person as my lighting is far from ideal. Maybe another picture will better differentiate the colors but alas miniature photography is still a skill that alludes me haha.

If you are a subscriber please post your painted models too! There does not seem to be a ton of advertising for these and I hope the line will continue after this first wave.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33352&d=1548

Sorry for the sideways photo, not sure how to adjust it here.

Took some time but here’s my Matsu Tsuko!

Finished her up last night and am overall happy with the end product. Faces are something I desperately need to improve with, female ones especially, so the open helmet of Tsuko made me nervous. Not Golden Demon by a long shot but do feel like I’m getting a little bit better! Tried to have the capture the feel of the Ikoma plains with the tall wind swept brown “grass.” I do wish PP would provide higher res studio models, it was tough trying to use the grainy pic as a point of reference for colors.

Wasn’t able to finish her in the Feb like I had hoped (daughter was born 😀 and a necessary paints arrival was delayed 😕 ) but am still keeping my growing L5R collection fully painted!

53370180_10161481043400537_2498843566592

The next L5R mini after Daidoji Uiji is a surprise as PP strayed away from the revealed concept art! Those duplicitious Scorpion... 52911293_10161489036520537_8392146486116

Pretty excited to get some paint on this one.

Best pick ever. He looks like he's be real fun to paint. I really hope they do another round of these.

18 hours ago, phillos said:

Best pick ever. He looks like he's be real fun to paint. I really hope they do another round of these.

I think Bayushi Shoju kind of confirms there will be a second round seeing as PP had previously revealed concept art for 7 figures total (6 per month +vip bonus) and Shoju was not one of them. These are indeed a blast to paint. I hope it keeps going for awhile to get many iconic characters!

Still waiting for the Kosori mini... 😥