L5R Miniatures game

By XTrueFinale, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

That Naga Hunter looks splendid. ?

Niw, if we can only have some tabletop rules to go with it... ?

13 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

I think it's adorable how they're trying to make Hida Tomato a thing...the "notable" samurai who died the first fiction she was introduced, and has taken up permanent residence in 99% of Crab player binders. ?

I must admit to being very confused about this as well. Dragon Clan Champion, Matsu Family Daimyo, Daidoji Family Daimyo, and That Crab Over There.

The first three had big followings from previous incarnations, not to mention important roles in this edition of the game.

The fourth is... neat?

37 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

I must admit to being very confused about this as well. Dragon Clan Champion, Matsu Family Daimyo, Daidoji Family Daimyo, and That Crab Over There.

The first three had big followings from previous incarnations, not to mention important roles in this edition of the game.

The fourth is... neat?

I wouldn't be surprised if the originally concept for her was an O-Ushi and then during the approval process they decided to shift the sculpt slightly to get a character more "relevant" to the current game.

14 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

That Naga Hunter looks splendid. ?

Niw, if we can only have some tabletop rules to go with it... ?

The way antagonists are set up in the new official L5R RPG rules makes it super, super easy to stat them out for it.

You can pretty much just take the stats straight from the card game, add 2 to the stats (or +3 for a neutral character as they seem underpowered for balance reasons, but the Naga is a Dragon Clan character), with military being the TN for any combat challenges against her and politics being the TN for any social challenge against her.

I am sure you could expand and vary it a bit, but the core rules are as simple as that.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:19 AM, Schmoozies said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the originally concept for her was an O-Ushi and then during the approval process they decided to shift the sculpt slightly to get a character more "relevant" to the current game.

Yeah, I'm not sure they'll ever do Hida O- myclothesfelloff in any way that resembles her AEG representation.

6 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Yeah, I'm not sure they'll ever do Hida O- myclothesfelloff in any way that resembles her AEG representation.

I don't know that she ever put them on to begin with.........

Our old palygroup referred to her as "Hida-O-ooohshebenekkid"

1 hour ago, Coyote Walks said:

Physical-art-wise, I'm fine with an update.

But " Good Little Wife " is my third-favorite fiction, and I would love to see something similar happen (though it is many years ahead in the story from now).

O-Ushi might not have a card, but she most definitely exists in the current story. She is introduced in the very first Crab Clan story in the First Scroll.

And there is nothing in particular indicating that she is particularly different than her previous counterpart written 24 years ago.

So if they wanted to make an O-Ushi, they could certainly make an O-Ushi. But it looks like they made Hida Tomonatsu instead.

A mid-cost character who was the redshirt that died in the very first Crab Clan story so that the Crab Clan Champion could run away from an Oni, but narratively to demonstrate the danger of the wall and so that the singular demonstration of how the Crab Clan treat their fallen wasn't simply to throw everyone on funeral pyres along with the monsters.

When everything else besides the Naga they are making is a clan champion, why did they want to make the redshirt the first Crab Clan model?

25 minutes ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

O-Ushi might not have a card, but she most definitely exists in the current story. She is introduced in the very first Crab Clan story in the First Scroll.

And there is nothing in particular indicating that she is particularly different than her previous counterpart written 24 years ago.

So if they wanted to make an O-Ushi, they could certainly make an O-Ushi. But it looks like they made Hida Tomonatsu instead.

A mid-cost character who was the redshirt that died in the very first Crab Clan story so that the Crab Clan Champion could run away from an Oni, but narratively to demonstrate the danger of the wall and so that the singular demonstration of how the Crab Clan treat their fallen wasn't simply to throw everyone on funeral pyres along with the monsters.

When everything else besides the Naga they are making is a clan champion, why did they want to make the redshirt the first Crab Clan model?

You call her a red shirt but she has been featured in several ways for the Crab (she's the Crab prize for the current Stronghold events) and while she died nothing says we couldn't have a resurgence (I'm pulling for a younger sister who after her Gempuku adopts her name to honor her sacrifice)

8 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

You call her a red shirt but she has been featured in several ways for the Crab (she's the Crab prize for the current Stronghold events) and while she died nothing says we couldn't have a resurgence (I'm pulling for a younger sister who after her Gempuku adopts her name to honor her sacrifice)

You do realize most "red shirt" characters are given a name and often some amount of backstory, usually before, but sometimes after (it really isn't as effective after) they are killed off in order to demonstrate the danger of the situation.

It can't even be taken as a "fake main character" trope because there was no question that she was going to be dead from the very first time she was mentioned-- the story does nothing to disguise this if one is familiar with story tropes.

The story practically had as much exposition about the character as she had dialogue or action in the story. That is a sure sign of a red shirt character. Her death isn't even an inciting incident for the other characters in the story like the Lion Clan Champion who is champion in the story for all of 2-3 pages before being shot dead with an arrow to the face.

So.. yeah... she is a redshirt. And I am not sure why they would be using her as a prize and making a model of her. I guess they really liked that card artwork.

9 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Don’t forget that she was also featured in the first adventure for the new RPG, while still in the betatesting phase.

And she was Commander of the Third Watchtower, no less, with various officers at her charge. She was crucial in the defeat of Kazanagan no Oni.

So, yeah, she’s (was) more than a redshirt.

2 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Don’t forget that she was also featured in the first adventure for the new RPG, while still in the betatesting phase.

And she was Commander of the Third Watchtower, no less, with various officers at her charge. She was crucial in the defeat of Kazanagan no Oni.

So, yeah, she’s (was) more than a redshirt.

Sure, but all that was created after she was redshirted. Yes, they developed her backstory, but only in an ex post facto manner.

She was introduced as a redshirt, I think that point is undebatable. Commander of one of the Watchtowers, but was merely recalled by Kisada as "a promising warrior" in the fiction? I'd think he was good enough to recognize one of his commanders on the battlefield. If she's in that fight, then they must be near the Watchtower, but she wasn't even involved in the planning or coordination? She was presented as a runner/messenger from Sukune to Kisada.

Yes, they gave her backstory later, and maybe de-redshirted her (call the trope "I was a real person all along!" maybe?). But that doesn't change the fact that she dead.

She real dead.

13 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

Well, Daimyo, at any rate, not exactly clan champions.

On 10/3/2018 at 1:00 AM, Schmoozies said:

For those interested orders for the L5R themed mini-crate have now gone live. First Deadline is 5th December with first minis scheduled to ship in January 2019.

Details are here including some previews for upcoming figures:

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/legend-of-the-five-rings-minicrate-subscriptions-live

or you can just go straight to ordering here:

https://www.mini-crate.com/l5r/

Does anyone happen to know what material the minicrate minis will be made of? Resin? Metal? Plastic? If plastic, what kind?

2 hours ago, dkoser said:

Does anyone happen to know what material the minicrate minis will be made of? Resin? Metal? Plastic? If plastic, what kind?

Based on past mini-crate models for their other range they will be metal

Agreed, most unboxing I have seen are for metal mini. Although I have seen one for a resin one so I'm still a bit confused.

It is very unlikely it will be in plastic, either PVC or HIPS. I don't think they will have enough subscriptions to justify the cost of an injection mold, especially for HIPS.

My main question would be: which scale? 28 mm, 32 mm or 54 mm? I hope for a 32 or 54, but 28 mm would do it. Lower than that and I won't subscribe.

22 minutes ago, Utaku Ryukko said:

Agreed, most unboxing I have seen are for metal mini. Although I have seen one for a resin one so I'm still a bit confused.

It is very unlikely it will be in plastic, either PVC or HIPS. I don't think they will have enough subscriptions to justify the cost of an injection mold, especially for HIPS.

My main question would be: which scale? 28 mm, 32 mm or 54 mm? I hope for a 32 or 54, but 28 mm would do it. Lower than that and I won't subscribe.

Based on other PP models I would expect 32mm as that is the scale they seem most comfortable in and the preview's that we saw for the masters did not look big enough to be 54mm

In the concept arts you can see that the base is 30 mm. Take Yokuni as a reference and you can guess the size.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, TheHobgoblyn said:

Maybe making a model of hida kisada to the same scale would take too much metal? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Maybe making a model of hida kisada to the same scale would take too much metal? :ph34r:

In fact, except for Yokuni, there’s not a single champion between the released/announced models.

5 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

In fact, except for Yokuni, there’s not a single champion between the released/announced models.

Though, they are all daimyo, save for Hida Tomonatsu.

And Isawa Tsuke, I suppose; are the Elemental Masters considered all daimyo as well?

Well, and the Naga.

6 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

And Isawa Tsuke, I suppose; are the Elemental Masters considered all daimyo as well?

I think they announced Tadaka, not Tsuke. And no, they are not considered Daimyo (unless one of them was actually a Daimyo). Keep in mind all the Elemental Masters are Isawa. Very weird to have five Daimyo for the same family.

So, you’re saying that there are 1 Clan Champion, 2 Daimyo, 1 Creature, 1 Bushi Commander, and a Elemental Master... hardly any pattern there.

Edited by Tabris2k
2 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

I think they announced Tadaka, not Tsuke. And no, they are not considered Daimyo (unless one of them was actually a Daimyo). Keep in mind all the Elemental Masters are Isawa. Very weird to have five Daimyo for the same family.

They're all equals in leading the clan, though, which was why I thought they may all be considered daimyo. And thank you for the correction on Tadaka. I prefer him by about a million times.

2 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Asako Azunami would beg to differ with the comment about the Elemental masters all being Isawa. The Isawa don't have a Daimyo in the traditional sense they have the council who are a collective Daimyo (fill the same role)

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

Asako Azunami would beg to differ with the comment about the Elemental masters all being Isawa. The Isawa don't have a Daimyo in the traditional sense they have the council who are a collective Daimyo (fill the same role)

You’re right about Asako, I forgot her.

I know the Isawa is ruled by the Council, I was just saying they’re don’t have the Daimyo title.

At least I don’t remember the Elemental Masters having the Daimyo trait in OL5R. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by Tabris2k
12 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

I know the Isawa is ruled by the Council, I was just saying they’re don’t have the Daimyo title.

At least I don’t remember the Elemental Masters having the Daimyo trait in OL5R. I could be wrong, though.

Just did a quick Phoenix + Daimyo search on the Oracle of the Void. One Agasha, two Asako, Three Shiba, and 0 Isawa. They had the "Elemental Master" trait for those on the Council of Five.