Compendium of UK Armada Events 2018

By Mad Cat, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

3 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

:) even worse.

Uk is england scotland wales and nothern ireland

Great Britain is england scotland and wales.

Team GB is the worst name for our olympic team we could think of.

Got my head mixed on wrong way round then, British Isles?

If anyone could still lay claim to “The Empire”, it’s the UK.

lets get it right as a country we have the biggest mouthful of a name.... ... we're actually called

the United Kingdoms of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man & the Channel Islands.

I'm not getting into this and I hope it doesn't derail the thread.

I put in the Limerick regional because it was on the Esdivium website and I thought players from anywhere who read this thread may wish to attend. It's a nice place, good pubs. I thought about weather to include it or not and clearly stated it was in Ireland. Also a win at the Limerick regional gets you a bye in the UK Nationals. FFG's decision not mine.

Many examples exist of teams competing in other country's events. In cricket Glamorgan play in the English County Championship. In soccer Cardiff & Swansea play in the English league; Berwick are in England but play in the Scottish league etc.

If it honestly offends anybody send me a PM and I'll remove it from the list, but really it is just people throwing dice at plastic spaceships.

Edited by Mad Cat

In FFGs defence... the whole UK/EIRE/ British Isles is a historical mess... & where else would they put EIRE? in France?

So joking aside its fine for the thread to be UK + EIRE... we all mangle* the same language after all

*one of the funniest conversations I've had in a pub was with a few guys I was working with in Germany... 1 from Glasgow, 1 from Dorset, 1 from ulster, 1 Newcastle, and me (Essex but had a South African speech therapist when growing up so used to sound like a safa when drunk...)

NVM. Lots of stuff prompted this which had nothing to do with armarda

Edited by Irishmadcat

May I suggest to remove past events? Otherwise first post will get longer and longer. Or is anyone interested in log of past tournaments?

1 hour ago, noggin said:

May I suggest to remove past events? Otherwise first post will get longer and longer. Or is anyone interested in log of past tournaments?

Good idea. I'll remove complete months once they are more than a month old. November will be removed in January etc. Some people may wish to follow a link after an event to see attendances, results, photos, tearful acceptance speeches and the like.

Thanks @Dr alex for the Athena event in January. I couldn't find the specific event link so just included a general one to their Facebook page.

Edited by Mad Cat
On 19/12/2017 at 10:41 AM, Mad Cat said:

I put in the Limerick regional because it was on the Esdivium website and I thought players from anywhere who read this thread may wish to attend. It's a nice place, good pubs. I thought about weather to include it or not and clearly stated it was in Ireland. Also a win at the Limerick regional gets you a bye in the UK Nationals. FFG's decision not mine.

A win in any Regional can be used in any Nationals. So a win in Eire could be used in Nordic Nationals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, Jimble said:

A win in any Regional can be used in any Nationals. So a win in Eire could be used in Nordic Nationals. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure. Certainly a store championship win can be used for a bye in any regional so you are probably right.

59 minutes ago, Jimble said:

This is little known but correct.

The only restriction is the “season” of it. But hopefully those sort out better... and is the reason bye cards and prizes have the season marking.

Thank you for clarification

Looks like there is another event on 27th January! Magic madhouse, Stratford, London.

Couldn’t find tickets on the website to link to, think it’s through their Facebook page.

Just saw this myself yesterday. I went to the last tournament there (their first Armada one) and was seriously impressed with the space. It's above a cafe/bar so food and drink can be served at the tables.

There's a huge amount of play space split between tabletop and different types of video games (ranging from retro consoles to VR) and a decently stocked shop.

They aren't selling tickets to the event. You have to confirm you're going via their Facebook event to reserve your place. Unfortunately, all the spaces filled up in one day as they only had 8 available.

They did have last minute drop outs last time so it's worth getting your name on the reserve list if you want to go.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1725351847530685/?ti=cl

Edited by ManInTheBox
22 hours ago, Mundo said:

Provisional date for Dark Sphere regional on 3 March. Just added today. No further details yet!

https://m.facebook.com/events/157700771516112

Balls. Can't make this.

Someone else will have to lose in my place.

On 24/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, ManInTheBox said:

Balls. Can't make this.

Someone else will have to lose in my place.

Moving to London beginning of Jan. I will do you proud :D

A quick update on UK regionals.

• Beanie Games regional has changed dates from their initial announcement. It was on the 18th but is now 11th March.
  • Liverpool event has changed location. It is no longer at a nearby hotel but takes place now in the Justplay store. Looks like wave 7 may be released in time for this one. Bought my ticket, website says 7 left.

These two changes are reflected in the links of the main post.

• Dark Sphere London regional link is still just showing a provisional place holder. If anyone lives nearby and can get us an update that would be great. Still, plenty of time for that one.
  • I found a better link for the Stirling regional.
Edited by Mad Cat

I'll be at Dark Sphere on Wednesday. I'll see what I can find out then.

Not quite a tournament, but since none of our local crowd can make it down to the Liverpool Regional we're doing a training/practice day in Edinburgh on Feb 10th instead: https://www.facebook.com/events/1952710551713810/

I spoke to the manager of Dark Sphere today and got some Info on the regional that's currently showing as a placeholder event in the DS website's calendar. He was very friendly and happy to talk to me about it.

The regional will be held on that date (3rd March). However the venue might not be Dark Sphere. Dark Sphere will be running it but they are looking at the logistics of putting on the event at a different venue. This decision hasn't yet been made and the manager doesn't want to open ticket sales when there's a possibility that people will make travel and accommodation arrangements for Dark Sphere and then the event is elsewhere, about 30 minutes South (sorry, I don't know the actual venue they're looking at but it's in "London").

The decision over whether to hold it at DS or not comes down to what they anticipate the numbers will be and whether they would benefit from a larger venue to host more people (or whether that would be a waste).

What they're considering doing is opening up tickets with the info that the venue is not confirmed and see what level of interest they get.

So there you are, people. Hope that helps answer some questions. Sadly I can't make this one but I hope that it's really ell attended.

10 minutes ago, Dr alex said:

I’m not sure if this is good or bad, probably indifferent

How were they beforehand?

Because it won't change too much .

The main problem we have with "Asmodee Canada" is that they were a small (tiny) 3 man operation with horrible issues before they were bought and renamed, so they continue to be so... Only now with the Asmodee brand.

2 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

How were they beforehand?

Because it won't change too much .

The main problem we have with "Asmodee Canada" is that they were a small (tiny) 3 man operation with horrible issues before they were bought and renamed, so they continue to be so... Only now with the Asmodee brand.

Pretty much the same here.