Masks of Nyarlathotep

By Chronos96, in General Discussion

After I read the announcement of FFG about the MoN again I am quite sure we will get a full set of new mystic ruins encounters, the new ones will not be related to the old ones as these are connected to the Syzygy while the new locations will be connected to Nyarlathotep. So they could use for example field Nr 3 as something different than the Easter Islands.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, Eldritch Mike said:

To be fair the article twice says "newest", not final, expansion. Hope?

Shangai is a surprise though - I was hoping Dagon for an AO. Why a big box if no side-board? Unless there's just that many cards...

I looks like there will be 400 cards.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:32 AM, GBI said:

You mean you don't even shuffle in the mythos cards and three city encounter card decks from other expansions?

Yep, that is what I mean. We also don't use the characters from other expansions. I am sure eventually we will get there, but we have been going through it all methodically. We only have two more to play and we will have done them all. We have also not repeated an AO yet either.

5 hours ago, hengst2404 said:

Yep, that is what I mean. We also don't use the characters from other expansions. I am sure eventually we will get there, but we have been going through it all methodically. We only have two more to play and we will have done them all. We have also not repeated an AO yet either.

Mind... blown.

You have amazing discipline, my friend.

That and we got beat down by the game pretty hard the first couple of times :)

If this "Campaign" mode goes as it implies, we'll probably mix everything together for that one.

I hope they will balance Top tier characters and weak characters by giving

Strong characters - hard/punishing Reward/Consequence cards

Weak characters - easy/minor Reward/Consequence cards

Father Mateo seems like a strong character (but we can never know for sure until played) and he seems to have a very punishing Consequence Card so I hope they continue this balancing with all Investigators :)

11 hours ago, Lorinor said:

Finally, time for the next preview and to: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/23/beat-back-the-crawling-chaos/

Unfortunately, it's not much. A bit on mysteries, we get Miss Crane and Father Mateo, but that's it for now. -_-

To be fair, the preview would have been a bit more exciting if some kind soul hadn't posted all the investigators in full a few months back...

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/260868-full-investigator-spoilers-for-masks-via-arkham-nights/

http://s95.photobucket.com/user/WarpedLord/library/Masks of Nyarlathotep?sort=3&page=1

:D

Edited by KBlumhardt

Honestly, it's not even that...

While I have to admit that, due to the long waiting time, there probably couldn't have been a preview that really satisfied me at this point, this time - compared to the last one - we have a mountain of text that is just flavor text, with only one pic to the side and they didn't even bother with putting a few spoilers in the text (like they usually do -- I'm not counting that one card I can see without that.) or make the whole thing seem less bloated.

It just doesn't feel like whoever made the preview thought about it much / and/or looked at it before posting it.
Don't get me wrong - I'm as excited as the next guy (and I like seeing Adventures being used for mysteries), but this preview is mainly disappointing (in my book) and not much else.

Time for the next preview: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/29/ruins-reborn-stars-align/

Wait... what? - Already?! - Guess that means we're getting closer... :lol:

This time: Sefina, Calvin, their Personal Stories and her starting item.
Mu & Hyperborea revealed as new Mystic Ruins locations as well as the fact that
they are used with Antediluvium.

I'm seeing in Amazon that Masks of Nyarlathotep is going to be released Feb 28th. It seems to be about in line with how fast they can get it off the boat and shipped. But I can't find anywhere else that might confirm that release date. Anyone else have any insight?

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.15.22 PM.png

Well, at least we know 3.5 of the Mytic Ruins now.

I'm wondering, though. How well will these ruins mix with those from Strange Remnants? Because these seem to pretty explicitely involve some kind of time travel/resurgence of old cities, while the Mystic Ruins from Remnants were, well, ruins. A lot of ghosts and old writings and such.

Probably better to keep these separate?

Released on February 28? The website says it's "Shipping Now" on the 31st. Usually it doesn't take that long, does it?

That’s new! I’m so excited! Well their site says that means 7-10 days. So hopefully before Valentine’s Day!

37 minutes ago, beadge said:

That’s new! I’m so excited! Well their site says that means 7-10 days. So hopefully before Valentine’s Day!

Generally the release dates are Thursdays, so probably 2/15. So, I'll be grabbing my copy on the way to see Black Panther... :D

21 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Well, at least we know 3.5 of the Mytic Ruins now.
I'm wondering, though. How well will these ruins mix with those from Strange Remnants?

Very well.

21 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Probably better to keep these separate?

Old and new Mystic Ruins are designed to seamlessly blend together.
From mechanical point of view you have nothing to gain from separating them.
From thematical point of view it's only your choice what is better.

How so? They seem very different, I don't see them blending together at all. One's about things talking to still living high priests of gods from the Hyperborean age and time travel. The other is about digging through ancient ruins. It's quite different.

23 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

How so? They seem very different, I don't see them blending together at all. One's about things talking to still living high priests of gods from the Hyperborean age and time travel. The other is about digging through ancient ruins. It's quite different.

Basically, I believe Tsuma is saying that mechanically they aren't going to be vastly different than other mystic ruins. Thematically, they may not 'blend' but that's a personal bone to pick with the way the game is designed.

I don't find it thematic that you can visit Tokyo and summon a skeleton to deal damage to Shub Niggurath in the middle of the wilderness on another continent, but hey, it's still in the game.

True, true. Still, these at least seem to be quite easy to separate out, whereas for the kind of thing you mention, I'd have to pre-stack every location deck and sort out the fitting ones.

Personally, I don't like to mix the decks because it makes the cleanup easier. Plus, I want to try out the new things first.

Soakman hit the spot, but you got me curious so I'll need to ask an auxiliary question.

19 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

One's about things talking to still living high priests of gods from the Hyperborean age and time travel.

As for "still living high priests of gods from the Hyperborean age" all Ancient Ones are, well, ancient and almost all have active cults in AHF universe. I don't see anything unusual here
As for time travel, I can't seem to find where it's mentioned. Could you point it out? I seem to remember that some of the older Mystic Ruins encounters also involved time travel but I'm far from sure about that.

Not sure. The only mention is at the very bottom of the preview: " As gates to other times and strange worlds continue to open at sites of ancient civilizations across the globe ..." - But I'm pretty sure that's only a general reference to the fact that some other world encounters take place in the past.

Could also be about the picture above " Cults Drawn to Ruined Sites of Power ". (Title is "Return to another Time".) Though I have to say it does look like the artwork for a mystery to me. We can't really tell if or how it would/could be related to the mystics ruins. My guess would be a special encounter or something else to do once you're on the space of the marker.

EDIT: Just checked the "old" mystic ruins. No mention of time travel at all. The only thing that comes somewhat close to it is one where your reward is to move the omen without advancing doom and the flavor text says something like "...the spirits bend time and space for you...".

Edited by Lorinor
On 2018/02/02 at 11:55 AM, Lorinor said:

Not sure. The only mention is at the very bottom of the preview: " As gates to other times and strange worlds continue to open at sites of ancient civilizations across the globe ..." - But I'm pretty sure that's only a general reference to the fact that some other world encounters take place in the past.

Could also be about the picture above " Cults Drawn to Ruined Sites of Power ". (Title is "Return to another Time".) Though I have to say it does look like the artwork for a mystery to me. We can't really tell if or how it would/could be related to the mystics ruins. My guess would be a special encounter or something else to do once you're on the space of the marker.

EDIT: Just checked the "old" mystic ruins. No mention of time travel at all. The only thing that comes somewhat close to it is one where your reward is to move the omen without advancing doom and the flavor text says something like "...the spirits bend time and space for you...".

But why wouldn't that blend? Each ruin does something else... We've got expeditions that involve time travel...

This is what I'm referring to:

In Masks of Nyarlathotep , the cultists appear to be conducting rites that grant passage to long-vanished cyclopean cities at the height of their power in aeons long past.

And

Access to these sites pop up only one at a time as the cultists must focus their energies to force open a passage to these otherworldly places.

That's pretty different flavour from the other mystic ruins, which are locals that are very much still around.