Masks of Nyarlathotep

By Chronos96, in General Discussion

7 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

That's pretty different flavour from the other mystic ruins, which are locals that are very much still around.

Except that the mystic ruins have always only been available one at a time like the expeditions. So thematically the encounters may be different, mechanically it fits perfectly.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:55 AM, Lorinor said:

EDIT: Just checked the "old" mystic ruins. No mention of time travel at all. The only thing that comes somewhat close to it is one where your reward is to move the omen without advancing doom and the flavor text says something like "...the spirits bend time and space for you...".

That may be true, but there is quite a bit of time travel in the other encounter decks (especially the nasty "The Past" and "The Future" cards in the Other World deck), so there's definitely thematic precedent...

So I just read the campaign mode preview and I still don't know how the campaign mode works. Maybe it's just that kind of morning and my brain isn't full booted up yet, soooo... anyone else not really understanding what the heck half this preview is talking about?

19 minutes ago, Dawngreeter said:

So I just read the campaign mode preview and I still don't know how the campaign mode works. Maybe it's just that kind of morning and my brain isn't full booted up yet, soooo... anyone else not really understanding what the heck half this preview is talking about?

Ya, it's clear as mud. I take it that Campaign Mode will be very hard. Sounds like the second prelude card is ACTIVE from the beginning, basically meaning you have to contend with 2 prelude cards, and a second AO after the first is defeated. This will probably be balanced by "Resource" being available to Investigators, as a way to heal and also gain items from the reserve. That all sounds great!

What I am NOT excited about, is that if the Investigators fail against an AO, the campaign is over, and needs to be started from scratch.

Take a page from other "campaign" games, like Imperial Assault or Gloomhaven, and have BRANCHING paths for success or failure. A binary pass/fail mechanic that simply resets the game feels like a big lost opportunity to play with consequence. On the other hand, knowing that failure means TOTAL failure, does get the blood pumping, so I understand where they are coming from. EH has never been a forgiving or easy game, and that's one of the reasons we love it.

Someone said the Personal Stories could be a way to balance the Investigators, and I hope that's the case, good idea.

As far as sideboards go, I am a fan of them. Bring on another board! I will feel a bit cheated if I buy a Big Box Exp and don't get a new board.

Pre Ordered from my FLGS today.

I kinda wish the Nyarlathotep AO would have more than 2 Mysteries to solve though...the point of the original module is that it was epic and you're going all over the place to many cults...just doing 2 (even with Adventures for each cult) is defeating the purpose. I'd rather have 4 Mysteries to solve (4 cults to stop) and each set of Adventures would be shorter to deal with...or even start the Doom Track at 20, to make it really epic!

I found the campaign mode preview to be a little confusing as well. It looks like there will be a set of 6 games, each with their own Ancient One. I couldn't tell if you generate all 6 at the beginning, or just start with two and add one with each win. It looks like you take a Prelude card that corresponds to your current AO and the one chosen for next game, and they both start in play. Does the 6th game only have one Prelude? Who knows. Some things seem to carry over from game to game, like devoured investigators and personal stories. I also can't tell if you play the same investigator every game till devoured, or if you can freely switch up based on the current situation.

Since many groups will be unable to easily play six games in a row, I wonder how we track all the campaign information between games. Maybe they will provide a log sheet.

1 hour ago, Conviction said:

Ya, it's clear as mud.

Then let's navigate through the swamp as best we can right now:

To play a campaign, you will need to decide on six Ancient Ones to defeat.
(Should you lose one of these six games, you're out and the world ends.)

Each game will use 2 preludes, the one from the Ancient One you are
currently facing and the one you will face next.

[ Question: Does this not mean the last game will only have one prelude? ]

The Personal Stories for each investigator have to be used as well.

12 minutes ago, Ryric said:

I also can't tell if you play the same investigator every game till devoured, or if you can freely switch up based on the current situation.

If the Personal Stories are meant to carry over, like the article says, it's only logical to assume you keep your investigator until you lose him or her.

13 minutes ago, Ryric said:

Since many groups will be unable to easily play six games in a row, I wonder how we track all the campaign information between games. Maybe they will provide a log sheet.

No group could possibly play six games in a row. The sanity loss would be wayyy too high. :lol:

I fully expect something to keep track of things that need to be tracked from game to game.

Edited by Lorinor
4 minutes ago, Lorinor said:

Each game will use 2 preludes, the one from the Ancient One you are
currently facing and the one you will face next.

I don't know what this means, though. If both are active at once in the first game, how is one related to the next Ancient One? Are the examples with preludes directly referencing the ancient ones what defines a prelude as being "of" an Ancient One? Or are they just accidental examples which confuse for no reason?

Edited by Dawngreeter

Okay. Let's start at the beginning. -- There is a prelude with specifically mentions an ancient one by name - there's one for each of them.

Now let us say we choose the following AO's for a campaign: Yig, Yog, Nyarli, Hypnos, Ithaqua & Cthulhu.

First game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Yig and the one that specifically mentions Yog.
Second game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Yog and the one that specifically mentions Nyarli.
Third game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Nyarli and the one that specifically mentions Hypnos.
Forth game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Hypnos and the one that specifically mentions Ithaqua.
Fifth game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Ithaqua and the one that specifically mentions Cthulhu.
Sixth game preludes: The one that specifically mentions Cthulhu.

Since all of these preludes have at least one conditional effect depending on who the AO is, the nature of the preludes will change from game to game.

Edited by Lorinor

I got the same impression as Lorinor.

Since the personal stories can also fail, I don't think they are going to mitigate the 'difficulty' bump. I DO think that resources may help this though (particularly for those with low influence scores, or against AO's like Hypnos and Yig).

What I am curious about is the section that talks about how destinations will be permanent. I wonder if there are other aspects as well. Will sideboard remain in play? Will mystic ruins stick around regardless of AO? What about Adventures, will those come into play at all? I'm interested to see the complete set of rules.

Edited by Soakman
10 hours ago, Soakman said:

What I am curious about is the section that talks about how destinations will be permanent. I wonder if there are other aspects as well. Will sideboard remain in play? Will mystic ruins stick around regardless of AO? What about Adventures, will those come into play at all?

I'm interested to see the complete set of rules.

Same here. -- I get that they didn't want to put all cards on the table just yet, but they didn't give us that much at all with this preview.

6 AOs? Isn't the game long enough already? I could hardly play as often as I want due to length of the normal game.

I'm happy that some newer AOs require only 2 mysteries to solve, make it a shorter game.

13 hours ago, Soakman said:

What I am curious about is the section that talks about how destinations will be permanent. I wonder if there are other aspects as well. Will sideboard remain in play? Will mystic ruins stick around regardless of AO? What about Adventures, will those come into play at all? I'm interested to see the complete set of rules.

I'd assume if you faced off against Shudde M'ell the cities would be forever ruined throughout the rest of the games. If he's even included into any of the campaigns.

Edited by Mexicute
14 minutes ago, Mexicute said:

I'd assume if you faced off against Shudde M'ell the cities would be forever ruined throughout the rest of the games. If he's even included into any of the campaigns.

Yeah that's what they said. I'm just curious if there are other effects like this.

Also, AO's with 2 mysteries aren't always shorter. Many of them have double the requirements of other mysteries for AO's that require 3.

16 hours ago, Lorinor said:

[...]

No group could possibly play six games in a row. The sanity loss would be wayyy too high. :lol:

I fully expect something to keep track of things that need to be tracked from game to game.

... now this just made my stomach cringe - please, pretty please - don't let them include some campaign tracker app !!!

since no side board or anything campaign tracking related has been confirmed yet i wonder if they plan to convert us to an app instead of pen and paper to track our campaigns... :o

Years ago, they did some sets of scenarios for Arkham Horror that linked together to form a campaign. I'm getting a similar vibe from this. If you're curious, go to the AH product page and look for the League stuff under Player Resources.

For the last AO maybe the second prelude will just be a random prelude to fill it out, it be a shame not able to use those.

I play with mystic rune deck in play all the time, when we campaign. I cant be the only one.

Nyarlathotep mysteries using adventure cards. It would be great if they worded one so that it could use adventure cards from other expansions. But then you would have to stop play to bring out a side board and gather the bits that go with it.

so got the expansion sixth game 2nd prelude is Unto the Breach (a mean card but good epic end for the campaign)

yig prelude is included in this expansion

dark pact and promise of power stay with investigators

All other components and effects reset. Like possessions. Defeated investigators and their stuff goes back in the box ect..

Edited by Daisu

Daisu - I was a little bit curious about one thing. Were there only the preludes associated with a specific GOO one could use or any preludes?

There are specific preludes to use, despite nyarlathotep having three preludes only certain one is used for campaign mode. It supplies yig (father of serpents prelude) and copies of the original box AO preludes.

Two of the Nyrarlathotep prelude not use for campaign mode lets you use sideboards from other expansions (pyramids and dreamlands), pyramid one changes one of the mysteries maybe even more for nyarlathotep.)

There also an Evil Dead themed prelude.

They also supply focus tokens and explain them for those without that expansion.

Edited by Daisu

I am building a 3d printed storage for the condition cards and i want to know if the one i have will be enough.

Can you give us a list of the different conditions (old and new just the name) since the expansion will take a long time to reach EU.

Thanks

personal stories are small cards like conditions, the pile is as large as the pile of unique tasks for EH

8 corruption (bane)

4 living link (boon)

talents (2 of each below)

headstrong

meditation

perceptive

practiced

resilient

silver tongue

5 hours ago, Endevor said:

I am building a 3d printed storage for the condition cards and i want to know if the one i have will be enough.

I built some, each about 7 cm deep (3 1/2 inches), for both the conditions and unique assets, separated into various categories. We have four of them, and are thinking about printing off another one.

They'er somewhat crude, and don't have lids printed for them, but you can find them here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/128501/3d-printable-card-boxes

Thanks for the list.

For the holder i am using this one

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2424316/#files

But i have cut it in half, resized +7% to manage my sleeved card and i will print 3 of these, i think i will be ok.

After reading the rules of the campaign, I don't really see the point. You're basically just adding a 2nd prelude card to each game, and the only thing that persists between games are the personal stories. They may as well have just said, "Campaign Mode: Play 6 games in a row against different Ancient Ones. Enjoy! Oh, and no changing your investigator between games!"

I guess I was hoping for some sort of character growth, like perhaps adding a permanent stat point to a skill, health, or stamina. Or keeping an item. Gaining a talent. Something. Sure you'd have to increase the difficulty somewhat each time, but that's the fun of campaigns.