Painting The Forces of Hepitude

By Hepitude, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Here is Lord Vorun'thul and Vorun'thul the cursed all finished up. It was so much fun painting painting heroes again! Although at this point I'll take any excuse to not keep working on my Wraiths. I went a weird direction on this guy so he has almost a futuristic set of magical blades. I figured a vampire would probably look the fanciest out of all the units in my Waiqar army. If I ever find his expansion for super cheap I'm definitely taking his blades and giving them to a backup Ardus model.

Runewars Miniatures Vorun'thul the Cursed Runewars Miniatures Vorun'thul the Cursed Back Runewars Miniatures Lord Vorun'thul Runewars Miniatures Lord Vorun'thul Back

Baron Zachareth on his Rune Golem. This model was also a ton of fun to paint! I went with a Jade golem for the mount and only realized afterwards how close the stone came to looking like Zachareth's color scheme. It clashes a little bit, but I guess that's ok. I doubt the Baron is too concerned with fashion.

Runewars Miniatures Baron Zachareth Mounted Runewars Miniatures Baron Zachareth Mounted Runewars Miniatures Baron Zachareth Mounted Runewars Miniatures Baron Zachareth Runewars Miniatures Baron Zachareth

Oh man... oh man oh man oh man.

These guys were terrible. I originally wanted to try a transparent effect, but the spray primer went on a little fuzzy and I was fighting the models to even get a good blend on any of the cloth. I've been working on them for a month and am still not super happy with how they look. The details just don't show up very well with the ethereal negative paint job, but I can't spend any more time on them.

Runewars Miniatures Wraiths Front Runewars Miniatures Wraiths Back

They may not be up to your usual caliber of work, but they look like they'd fit right in on the table. Interesting idea for the paint scheme. It's cool to see that kind of experimentation.

It's nice to be back to painting figures with shadows where they're supposed to be. Here are some of the new Latari units (painted to go along with the aspen troops I already have). The Ventala are painted after Appaloosa horses.

As much as I love new expansions for Runewars and would LOVE to see something cool announced at worlds (new factions!) I wouldn't mind a little bit of a break between releases as I have such a big backlog at this point.

Runewars Miniatures Darnati Aspen Front Runewars MIniatures Darnati Aspen Back Runewars Miniatures Ventala Aspen Front Runewars Miniatures Ventala Aspen Back

They look so clean and sharp! I like the color pattern of the Ventala. The transition from brown to white is well-executed and the spots are a nice touch! And your skill with fabric patterns still amazes me.

Edited by Parakitor

Uthuk are the one faction that I really didn't think I would like aesthetically, but they proved me wrong over and over again. The Obscenes were a ton (literally) of fun to paint. I'm most behind on buying Uthuk expansions, but once I catch up I'll definitely be looking to get some more of these guys.

Runewars Miniatures Obscenes Front Runewars Miniatures Obscenes Back Runewars Miniatures Obscene Gang

On a side note, I've been running a D&D campaign with some friends for almost three years now and I decided to start writing up our sessions on my website, writtenplaces.com . There's a ton of my original artwork, but as we go along you'll start to notice Runewars Miniatures popping up as well. It's a fun adventure story with a lot of resources available for download if you're looking for ideas on your own campaign.

Edited by Hepitude

Here are some more Ventala and Prince Faolan on his weird chicken monster (which I actually quite like). Not much to say about these guys really since I used color schemes I've already talked about. Prince Faolan's armor was probably the trickiest I've done though, just as far as tiny details go.

Runewars MIniatures Prince Faolan Runewars Miniatures Prince Faolan Runewars Miniatures Prince Faolan Runewars Miniatures Japanese Maple Ventala Runewars Miniatures Japanese Maple Ventala Runewars Miniatures Japanese Maple Ventala

My D&D group is heading into dangerous Elven territory next, so I think I'll get some good use out of these miniatures. I might upload some pictures of battles we have on this thread eventually, but I'm posting weekly session updates on www.writtenplaces.com if you're at all interested in D&D.

I've been pretty depressed about Runewars (probably) never getting another expansion so I haven't really been painting much recently. @Willange and I had a great game yesterday though and I thought I'd share my finished Th'Uk Tar and Gorgemaw to celebrate my defeat.

Runewars Th'Uk Tar and Gorgemaw Side

Runewars Th'Uk Tar and Gorgemaw Back

Runewars Th'Uk Tar and Gorgemaw Front

Runewars Th'Uk Tar Front

Runewars Th'Uk Tar Back

Edited by Hepitude
2 hours ago, Hepitude said:

I've been pretty depressed about Runewars (probably) never getting another expansion so I haven't really been painting much recently. @Willange and I had a great game yesterday though and I thought I'd share my finished Th'Uk Tar and Gorgemaw to celebrate my defeat.

Wow, that is really cool! I hope you bring that to our next match :D

Perhaps one day, I'll bring something other than a grey horde...

Edited by Willange

It's sad not having more RWM, but it's still a fun game all the same.

Gosh, I hope more models get released. The closer I get to finishing all the models the more I hope FFG hasn't given up on the game. I haven't painted this old stuff in ages, but I've been slowly working through my backlog and had a ton of fun painting command units again. The Peacock Necromancer was especially fun. Even if FFG doesn't release any new models I'd really like to see some more cards come out for the figure upgrades (or hope against hope for a cavalry command expansion).

Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Command 2 Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Command 2 Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Peacock Necromancer Runewars Miniatures Waiqar Peacock Necromancer

I've also got my first Uthuk archers finished up. For a faction I didn't originally like as much, I'm surprised every time I paint Uthuk how much I like the models. They are the easiest and fastest to paint and I always love how they turn out.

Runewars Miniatures Viper Legion Front Runewars Miniatures Viper Legion Back

Your stuff is so awesome. I feel like Stevie Wonder using a mop compared to this. Your color schemes are so original. That’s the hardest thing for me to come up with, so I just stick with what FFG shows. 😅