Humor and Drama in Campaigns

By subtrendy2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

The Core campaign revolved around General Weiss working on high tech military stuff. It appears I might have discovered his secret bunker during the app campaign (!) After opening a door, the app deployed among others, Weiss, the repulsor tank and an AT-DP all at once!! Oh, and on top of that Gaarkhan, Drokkatta and Murne were already wounded while Vinto started to run in the other direction ;)

In our recent running of RtH, we kept forgetting Loku's name on the fly and came up with "Fish-face" and "Fish sticks" as suitable (if a bit specist) nicknames. The Loku-player's response was to sadly proclaim that "Come on, guys! Mon Cals are people too!" every time we called him by the nicknames. I guess you'd have to be there, but it was pretty funny stuff ;)

2 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

The Core campaign revolved around General Weiss working on high tech military stuff. It appears I might have discovered his secret bunker during the app campaign (!) After opening a door, the app deployed among others, Weiss, the repulsor tank and an AT-DP all at once!! Oh, and on top of that Gaarkhan, Drokkatta and Murne were already wounded while Vinto started to run in the other direction ;)

That's awful! Good lord, that's almost 40 pts of vehicles alone, all at once.

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

That's awful! Good lord, that's almost 40 pts of vehicles alone, all at once.

I know! The app also dropped a squad a regular stormtroopers as well as a probe droid (which I think was an elite version if I recall correctly), so a 40+ threat deployment!

Still that was nice to see the tank (even though it did not do much) outside a snowy environment. I've also seen snowtroopers being deployed regularly during the whole 5-mission campaign. I've even seen a wampa once. I may have been against that from a thematic point of view, but I will admit today that it is refreshing to see other units being fielded by the app that would otherwise not see lots of action in regular campaigns (outside of Hoth for the units mentioned above). Now I understand and in fact appreciate why FFG did that.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG
14 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

I know! The app also dropped a squad a regular stormtroopers as well as a probe droid (which I think was an elite version if I recall correctly), so a 40+ threat deployment!

Still that was nice to see the tank (even though it did not do much) outside a snowy environment. I've also seen snowtroopers being deployed regularly during the whole 5-mission campaign. I've even seen a wampa once. I may have been against that from a thematic point of view, but I will admit today that it is refreshing to see other units being fielded by the app that would otherwise not see lots of action in regular campaigns (outside of Hoth for the units mentioned above). Now I understand and in fact appreciate why FFG did that.

I don't hate the app but this is the main reason why I still prefer the original IA game, I guess it's just FFG way of doing things to make up for the dumb AI (activation order) but c'mon

by dumb AI's activation order I mean there were many instances that if I was the Imperial player, I would have activated group X instead of Y because activating X would wound someone vs. activating Y giving Rebels another chance to rest/kill unactivated Imperial troops

In the 1st app campaign mission you had to defend the Rebel base from the onslaught of Imperial forces. I've tallied up the troop (threat) deployment afterwards, the app threw something like 110 threats in 6 rounds, with nearly 80 - 90 threats happened during the last 3 rounds. Can you imagine being able to deploy eProbe + rISB + eOfficer + eWeb + eJet + rStorm in a regular IA game as the Imperial player, all in 1 round? My Rebel players would have gone "what the &*@! is this? we demand to see the campaign guide!"

for the 2nd mission you had to protect NPC Rebel hostages/figures running to safety, only 1 made it out alive: the app decided to smack in a eWampa + eNexu + eStorm after I opened the door where the hostages are, and after the NPC Rebels started running the app decided to drop 40 - 60 threats worth of troops within 2 rounds. 1 of them ran straight into Terro (who are flanked by 2 eJets) and another 1 ran straight into Palpatine and got Force Lightning'ed. Not to mention after round 3? 4? the Imperials are able to target the hostages directly, so eStorm simply started shooting

I don't consider myself as a newbie anymore having played no less than probably 200 - 300 missions total, but I consider that as beyond ridiculous

Edited by ricope

The amount of threat the app spends also depends on your Fame, so it scales with how efficiently you have defeated figures so far in the campaign.

I have found in the latest 4 playthroughs that the majority of time the app activates the group that I have deemed to be the biggest threat, and thus I have already defeated one figure from that group. Or it might be confirmation bias.

Offense is the best defense. Resting and spending medpacs goes only that far.

(You just have to be careful with groups that tend to reinforce themselves. So, often it's better to take the beating and defeat the whole group after it has activated. This also helps to limit the power of the Clawdite Shapeshifters.)

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, angelman2 said:

In our recent running of RtH, we kept forgetting Loku's name on the fly and came up with "Fish-face" and "Fish sticks" as suitable (if a bit specist) nicknames. The Loku-player's response was to sadly proclaim that "Come on, guys! Mon Cals are people too!" every time we called him by the nicknames. I guess you'd have to be there, but it was pretty funny stuff ;)

We have our own nicknames for the Rebel crew, which have all come up pretty organically throughout our play sessions. MHD-19 becomes Dr. Kevorkian, Loku is Loku Canola-oil, Jyn Oh-dam! are just a few that come to mind. :)

Edited by Kunitzu San

I'm playing Imperial. We hit the first mission where Weiss comes on the board on round X.

I'm anticipating this round, so start of round I pull out the model and plop it onto the board.

the Rebel player's jaw drops.

Then I go to read the info in the campaign manual and realize it says "END OF ROUND."

I sheepishly admit that I screwed up, and take the model off the board.

Both of us immediately burst out laughing, and we ended up joking about Weiss complaining "no, wait, hang on ... hold it ... it's still plugged in ... AUGH." while backing up as he got caught in the trees.

So, end of round comes around and as I place the figure I burst out into this screeching voice "BEHOLD! MY GREATEST INVENTION! THE D-1 COMBAT KILLER!!" needless to say that voice and cobra-commander-persona replaced all dialogue for Weiss that point onward.

====

bonus anecdote: Jyn and Garr were working on getting a terminal activated using eyeball check. Jyn got 2/3, and Garr got the final...
me (imperial) "ok, please. tell me what it's like when this wookie bezerker passes the perception check on a terminal."
player (immitating kashykk speech) " 8I mmhh, hmmm ... hmmhmm ... >8U GRAAAHHH!!" swings his arm pretending to slam the computer.
me (laughing) "and the computer lets out a beep of pain as it prints out the requested info."

Edited by thinkbomb

@thinkbomb , I love you ❤️

I'm personally still at a loss as to what happened. Spoilers, of course. Last night we played through "Preventative Measures" for the ROTH Campaign as MHD-19's Side Mission. For those not in the know, this mission involves rescuing Draelyn, a Rebel who has personal history with MHD-19. The crux of the mission is that the Rebels need to get him to the evacuation zone, where the Imperials (me) have to prevent them from getting to him by Round 3 or by executing him.

I start the mission off strong, with Snowtroopers and an Elite Probe Droid dealing intense damage to the heroes, crippling them within the first round of play. They become more crestfallen when the first door opens, finding a pair of resolute Royal Guards defending the entry way. They eventually make it to and open the second door, activating Draelyn to great expense. Draelyn is being closed in by Trandoshan Hunters, Snowtroopers, and an Elite Probe Droid, with at this point having all but one of the Rebel Heroes wounded (Verena Talos in this case).
This is when the unthinkable occurs. While I was able to get some good hits into Draelyn, Draeyln was able to get some disgustingly lucky misses in a row, not to mention with some damage mitigated by MHD and Bacta Infusion. Given the number of troops and previous damage, Draelyn should be 5 different kinds of dead. As troopers are closing in, Verena gets to work with "Close Quarters", taking out several troopers with minimal actions. Humorously, Verena is able to take out the Elite Probe with a strike from the Armored Gauntlets, which the player has dubbed Verena's Fist of Fisting , stating "You may not have a hole, but I'll give you a new one!" before driving her fist into the guts of the Probe. Despite the Imperials best efforts and reinforcements, Draelyn managed to escape, securing a Rebel victory.
It was by far the closest Campaign Mission I have played yet!
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, ManateeX said:

After which the app will probably never bring him out again :P

He's probably lurking in the shadows, biding his time where he can grief again. His beeps and whirs is the stuff that haunts Rebel dreams. :P

Edited by Kunitzu San
On 7/24/2018 at 4:16 PM, Kunitzu San said:

Humorously, Verena is able to take out the Elite Probe with a strike from the Armored Gauntlets, which the player has dubbed Verena's Fist of Fisting , stating "You may not have a hole, but I'll give you a new one!" before driving her fist into the guts of the Probe.

All I can picture while reading that is "I have to warn you, I think I'm a really good puncher."

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Uninvited Guest said:

All I can picture while reading that is "I have to warn you, I think I'm a really good puncher."

She doesn't skimp on arm day.

Do you ever get the feeling that, as the Imperial player, you just have a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? We're about to hit the "Return to Echo Base" mission for the interlude, and I have lost every single mission thus far. Mind you a lot of them have been incredibly close, but I personally think the ROTH campaign victory conditions better favors the Rebels. I don't mind it too much because everyone is having a great time, myself included, but I'm curious if anyone else gets that unlucky streak?

12 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

Do you ever get the feeling that, as the Imperial player, you just have a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? We're about to hit the "Return to Echo Base" mission for the interlude, and I have lost every single mission thus far. Mind you a lot of them have been incredibly close, but I personally think the ROTH campaign victory conditions better favors the Rebels. I don't mind it too much because everyone is having a great time, myself included, but I'm curious if anyone else gets that unlucky streak?

Oh yeah, for sure.

Personally, I feel like I often start off a mission really strong, feel bad for the Rebels and pull some punches, and somehow by the end I'm struggling to survive. You'd think I'd learn...

Yeah, that's definitely one aspect of being the Imperial Player that I don't think anyone can get 100% right: "How do I win and make sure everyone else is having fun?"

You got into a mission and wound two heroes in the first round, so rather than wound a third hero in round two you opt to stun one of the heroes already wounded... and then round three begins and you've lost all control! STORMTROOPERS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO PANIC! WHY ARE THE STORMTROOPERS PANICKING!

1 hour ago, Uninvited Guest said:

STORMTROOPERS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO PANIC! WHY ARE THE STORMTROOPERS PANICKING!

Because they are Finn's relatives?? ?

5 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

Because they are Finn's relatives?? ?

They're all just a bunch of traitors. ;)

Related image

So the current running joke in our campaign is Dengar. During the introductory mission, he actually casted a fairly imposing figure as he strode toward the battlefield with steely resolve. While he put up a decent fight, he didn't last for very long. As the campaign progresses, he keeps periodically popping up and quickly defeated, each time faster than the last. The running joke at this point is that Dengar is really the C-Team for the Empire: he menaces for a moment, spouting his skills, only to be shot/punched out of the vicinity with minimal effort by Verena and Loku. The rebels even sarcastically quip whenever they see him!

16 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

So the current running joke in our campaign is Dengar. During the introductory mission, he actually casted a fairly imposing figure as he strode toward the battlefield with steely resolve. While he put up a decent fight, he didn't last for very long. As the campaign progresses, he keeps periodically popping up and quickly defeated, each time faster than the last. The running joke at this point is that Dengar is really the C-Team for the Empire: he menaces for a moment, spouting his skills, only to be shot/punched out of the vicinity with minimal effort by Verena and Loku. The rebels even sarcastically quip whenever they see him!

We had a similar joke. Dengar must be an easy target- both literally and figuratively! :P

My gaming group is about halfway through Jabba's Realm. We've played all the campaigns in order and hope to continue. Whoever plays as the rebel heroes, has a healthy fear and an understood aggression whenever royal guards or nexus land on the board. I have a dedicated dining room table that I usually leave pieces out on and often have the next mission setup for whenever we play next. I also keep my figures in those clear tackle box kits, but when we're in the middle of a campaign, it's not hard to find a pile of figures that were in previous missions or in the upcoming mission.

So we're playing trophy hunting, and I had a nexu in the previous mission that was still in the pile. The mission card mentions "a new pet" for Jabba, and one of more experienced rebels said "oh boy another nexu to fight". I let them believe that to be the case, until I dropped the

rancor on the board.

They thought I was joking at first. After a few seconds I was the only one left laughing as they started scrambling, trying to figure out how to survive this mission.

They didn't make it...

Edited by thestag
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, thestag said:

My gaming group is about halfway through Jabba's Realm. We've played all the campaigns in order and hope to continue. Whoever plays as the rebel heroes, has a healthy fear and an understood aggression whenever royal guards or nexus land on the board. I have a dedicated dining room table that I usually leave pieces out on and often have the next mission setup for whenever we play next. I also keep my figures in those clear tackle box kits, but when we're in the middle of a campaign, it's not hard to find a pile of figures that were in previous missions or in the upcoming mission.

So we're playing trophy hunting, and I had a nexu in the previous mission that was still in the pile. The mission card mentions "a new pet" for Jabba, and one of more experienced rebels said "oh boy another nexu to fight". I let them believe that to be the case, until I dropped the

rancor on the board.

They thought I was joking at first. After a few seconds I was the only one left laughing as they started scrambling, trying to figure out how to survive this mission.

They didn't make it...

My group had a similar reaction when Weiss made it to his modified AT-ST in the core campaign, and that he had a ridiculously high health bar. I think those are the best moments when the tone/objective of the mission wildly changes, and you have to scramble to figure out what you are going to do under new circumstances!

Oh, absolutely, @Kunitzu San !

Not gonna mention what quest, but in our third campaign the Imperial victory condition started out as "Wound all rebels", but once the Rebels picked up an objective it would change from "Wound the Rebel carrying the objective".

I pretty much just focused down the leader the whole time, and by the time he picked up the objective my stormtrooper group was able to finish him off for an easy win.

Felt kind of bad about that, since they couldn't have seen it coming, but it did make them more cautious in the future. You never know what might happen in this game.

A fond moment I have of the campaign, the Diala force throw antics.

Playing a mission that involved Darth Vader. And big bad Vader comes strolling up to lay the beat down onto the team. However, the Lord of the sith, the "chosen one," apparently has a weakness to being flung around the field like a ragdoll. Next thing Vader knew, he was flung behind a wall of bodies and difficult terrain, and couldnt do anything but chill.

This was followed up by a focused Diala one shotting Agent Blaise with her basic weapon and Dancing Weapon with the attachment to swap a dice for another dice.

After Onar had already one shot Bossk.

The imperial player took it like a champ though

5 hours ago, LordDraigo1 said:

A fond moment I have of the campaign, the Diala force throw antics.

Playing a mission that involved Darth Vader. And big bad Vader comes strolling up to lay the beat down onto the team. However, the Lord of the sith, the "chosen one," apparently has a weakness to being flung around the field like a ragdoll. Next thing Vader knew, he was flung behind a wall of bodies and difficult terrain, and couldnt do anything but chill.

This was followed up by a focused Diala one shotting Agent Blaise with her basic weapon and Dancing Weapon with the attachment to swap a dice for another dice.

After Onar had already one shot Bossk.

The imperial player took it like a champ though

I think I know what mission you're referring to. I don't think any Imperial Player has been happy with Vader in that mission. Usually he kicks down a door to find everyone's already at the exit.

My friend playing the IP read that instruction at the end of our previous session and said "THAT'S GOING TO BE SO FUN FOR ME! IT'S GONNA SUCK FOR YOU, BUT IT'LL BE FUN FOR ME!" He was so mad when he saw how it actually played out.