Humor and Drama in Campaigns

By subtrendy2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Surelly Diala is Thor? Smites everthing in sight, jumps about everywhere, and is ungodly heroic in every way? :)
(Warning, I'm not into supers so I don't know what I'm talking about, although my gf has made me watch most of the Marvel films ;) [Thor is Marvel, right? I'm clueless...])

3 minutes ago, angelman2 said:

Surelly Diala is Thor? Smites everthing in sight, jumps about everywhere, and is ungodly heroic in every way? :)
(Warning, I'm not into supers so I don't know what I'm talking about, although my gf has made me watch most of the Marvel films ;) [Thor is Marvel, right? I'm clueless...])

That's not a bad thought!

Hmm, good thoughts. So where are we at?

Gideon - Nick Fury

Fenn - Captain America

Diala - Thor

Gaarkhan - Black Panther?

Mak - ?

Jyn - Spiderman?

Saska - ?

Biv - Bucky?

MHD - ?

Verena - Black Widow

Loku - Hawkeye?

Davith - Quicksilver

Murne - Scarlet Witch?

Onar - Hulk

Shyla - Iron Man

Vinto - ?

Kot-Tun - ?

Jarrod - Ant-man?

Drokkatta - ?

Not the Avengers, but Jarrod has got to be Wolverine.

mak is hawk-eye. lots of damage safe distance, fragile.

Haha, I wan thinking Vinto as Hawkeye, given all of his trickshots.

Anyway, this seems kinda fun! I've made a thread specifically for it, if anyone wanted to continue this and similar stuff

We're going to be starting a new campaign this weekend. I'll be sure to share any great new stories that occur!

17 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

We're going to be starting a new campaign this weekend. I'll be sure to share any great new stories that occur!

Enjoy!

What campaign are you guys running?

We were actually short for time, so we just played some quick Skirmish. It was the holidays, so everyone was busy!

Our plan is to begin "Return to Hoth" once we have everyone's schedules in order. :)

I had posted this in another thread but since it has some humor to it it'll work here too.

I received the base game for Christmas, and we had a games night on New Year's Eve so we pulled it to try it (I had not read the rules fully yet, so I did not set up the campaign the right way, but that's besides the point here). There was a mission where the rebels had to get through locked doors to test terminals. Since the doors were locked they had to attack them. The Wookie (of all characters), kept doing only one damage per turn, having no luck beating down the door. Finally when there was only one damage on the door, my wife (who was playing the Wookie), rolled 5 damage. We all had a good laugh at that one.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:01 PM, Loosie said:

I had posted this in another thread but since it has some humor to it it'll work here too.

I received the base game for Christmas, and we had a games night on New Year's Eve so we pulled it to try it (I had not read the rules fully yet, so I did not set up the campaign the right way, but that's besides the point here). There was a mission where the rebels had to get through locked doors to test terminals. Since the doors were locked they had to attack them. The Wookie (of all characters), kept doing only one damage per turn, having no luck beating down the door. Finally when there was only one damage on the door, my wife (who was playing the Wookie), rolled 5 damage. We all had a good laugh at that one.

Ooh, that's a rough one. Those red dice can be pretty swingy, especially when paired together.

We played Leia's side mission on Friday, and I had two situations where I rolled pairs of red and got three damage on each. That's pretty brutal, but I could have just as easily rolled 1 damage on each, too.

Recently I made up a mini-mission where a Jedi from the old republic (Davith as an ally) showed up in a cantina where the heroes were chilling while buying new equipments and upgrades. Davith was hunted down by the Grand Inquisitor and imperial squads and asked the heroes for help so he could deliver some vital information to the alliance (I'm opening a branching to my group that would lead them into the heat of the Empire in case they want to know what information was Davith carrying with him) .

I made up some rules that mostly had Davith and the Inquisitor fight each others while the heroes would take care of other imperials (stormtroopers led by Kayn Somos). The heroes could attack the Inquisitor but if so, he would receive extra blocks while he would get none if attacked by Davith and during the narrative/briefing part of the mini-mission, the Grand Inquisitor ordered the other imperials to leave the Jedi to him, explaining why I only attacked Davith with the Inquisitor. I wanted to achieve some sort of Force user duel. To add some drama, once wounded any damage suffered by the heroes would carry on during the next mission (The hero would revert back as healthy but with the extra damage suffered while wounded).

Toward the end, the Grand Inquisitor had suffered 13 damages (out of 15) while Davith had only 3 health points left. I rolled what would have been enough to kill Davith, but Davith made the save with a dodge (I did not roll any surge to cancel the dodge!) On their turn, the rebels thought for a minute about having Davith run away, which would have brought him among the remaining imperial units that "technically" could not attack Davith per my rules. We all laugh a lot about what it would have look like to see the Jedi hide behind Kayn Somos while Somos could do no harm to him. I had no other choice than to humbly admit the flaw of my rule. They finally decided to finish this mini-mission like it was meant to be, by having Davith deliver the fatal blow to the Inquisitor instead of running away, thus ending the mission. They now know that beneath the streets of Coruscant lies an ancient artifact of great power that must not fall between the hands of the Empire!

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

Once again @IanSolo_FFG , I'm impressed by the immersion that you bring to this game! Despite that loophole in the rules, it sounds like you guys had a great time!

Next time, I might suggest having your jedi duel on a sideboard, and connecting the two boards once one of the Jedi has been defeated.

2 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Once again @IanSolo_FFG , I'm impressed by the immersion that you bring to this game! Despite that loophole in the rules, it sounds like you guys had a great time!

Next time, I might suggest having your jedi duel on a sideboard, and connecting the two boards once one of the Jedi has been defeated.

I have sometimes as much fun thinking about all those custom mini-missions/scenarios as I have playing the game. Of course it needs time investment, but for me Imperial Assault campaign mode is far from dying even if FFG would decide to stop supporting the game today (something I do not wish however!) There are so much scenarios we can come up with considering all the stuff we have so far. This is the closest I've come up to an RPG game (even though I know it was not originally designed to be one), so my gaming group and I don't mind if I step in to give an edge to one side or the other when they are in need of it.

In our last mission played, the heroes found themselves on cloud city looking for Lando who disappeared after finding about a top secret imperial project (Our timeline is set after Han was frozen in carbonite and Lando got kicked out of Cloud city as Baron administer by the imperials). Halfway into the mission, the heroes found Lando, but also the bounty hunter who captured him (Bossk) accompanied by several imperial units. The heroes were not doing good progress (thanks to some ugly dice rolls) while I was reinforcing and even adding more units at end of rounds. After wounding 2 heroes (out of 4), I deployed elite wing guards to the disbelief of my group, but then I said that after recognizing Lando, they immediately switched side for the good old days!

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

Spoilers for Jabba's Realm

Finally played the Interlude a few weeks ago. I used my nemesis deck to bring out the Royal Guard Champion for the first time ever with this group. He came out swinging hard, using brutality to hit Drokkatta and nearly KO'd Vinto in a single hit. My Rebels were horrified. Then, Shyla (played by my wife) came out of nowhere, used the mission rules to push the RGC, moved forward, and Mandalorian whipped him straight into the Sarlaac pit. In addition to damage already suffered by him, the RGC was immediately defeated in the pit.

Obviously, the rest of the mission didn't go well for me.

MHD = Jarvis
Saska = Pepper Potts

1 hour ago, macmastermind said:

MHD = Jarvis
Saska = Pepper Potts

Add in Jerrod "Wolverine" Kelvin and The Incredible Onar and you've got yourself some Avengers.

We finally began a new campaign, this time with some new players for "Return to Hoth"! We've only done the introductory mission thus far, but it was incredibly humorous to see the abject fear on the Rebel faces when the Repulsor Tank rolled onto the battlefield, laying down absolutely insane amounts of damage to Gaarkhan and Loku. Another good moment was when Verena Talos got the jump on a Stormtrooper, Dengar, and an Imperial Officer, killing all three in one successive motion.

More to come!

15 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

We finally began a new campaign, this time with some new players for "Return to Hoth"! We've only done the introductory mission thus far, but it was incredibly humorous to see the abject fear on the Rebel faces when the Repulsor Tank rolled onto the battlefield, laying down absolutely insane amounts of damage to Gaarkhan and Loku. Another good moment was when Verena Talos got the jump on a Stormtrooper, Dengar, and an Imperial Officer, killing all three in one successive motion.

More to come!

Dude, that's a really scary unit that early in the campaign. No wonder the Rebels were scared!

I remember one time we were playing this mission and a single Rebel charged the tank. She did almost no damage, then the tank focused fire on her and she had to completely withdraw. One of the few times I've actually completely withdrawn a hero, since I'm pretty against player elimination.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, subtrendy2 said:

Dude, that's a really scary unit that early in the campaign. No wonder the Rebels were scared!

I remember one time we were playing this mission and a single Rebel charged the tank. She did almost no damage, then the tank focused fire on her and she had to completely withdraw. One of the few times I've actually completely withdrawn a hero, since I'm pretty against player elimination.

I came pretty close to wounding the entire Rebel team. My big mistake was saving my Threat to summon back Dengar when I should have revived the Repulsor Tank. It gave them enough of a chance to eliminate my remaining squad with Verena, who was hanging on by a thread.

10 minutes ago, Kunitzu San said:

saving my Threat to summon back Dengar when I should have revived the Repulsor Tank.

Summon back Dengar? (When a unique figure is defeated, the deployment card doesn't return to the IP's hand. A defeated villain cannot be deployed in the same mission.)

During RtH, after I successfully blocked LOS to avoid quickdraw from Jyn with three stormtroopers in a row, she rolled blanks for defense on all the attacks. When I asked what the player wanted to do for Jyn's turn, another player suggested she just put her blaster in her mouth and pull the trigger. ?

I said she could do that, but she would probably just start rolling dodges ?

Edited by TeethAlmighty
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:30 PM, a1bert said:

Summon back Dengar? (When a unique figure is defeated, the deployment card doesn't return to the IP's hand. A defeated villain cannot be deployed in the same mission.)

Darn! You are totally right, it slipped my mind completely as we were playing! In that instance, I actually put myself at a severe disadvantage. C'est la vie.

Edited by Kunitzu San

I played through the App campaign and in EVERY single mission BT-1 showed up, often close to Diala. He really had a grudge against the team, and I was so afraid of him that I put all to take him out before activating. He is next on the painting table.

5 hours ago, Etheneus said:

I played through the App campaign and in EVERY single mission BT-1 showed up, often close to Diala. He really had a grudge against the team, and I was so afraid of him that I put all to take him out before activating. He is next on the painting table.

After which the app will probably never bring him out again :P