Humor and Drama in Campaigns

By subtrendy2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Thought I'd make a thread for some of the funnier or big dramatic moments you've come across in your adventures!

I guess I'll go ahead and start:

On my second campaign, the heroes had earned the Droids as allies, while I'd earned Dengar. Extremely often, Dengar and R2 would just get engaged in a stun match, slogging each other down. Probably not the best strategic move for me, but we thought it was hilarious that Dengar and R2 had this weird rivalry, so we just rolled with it. :P

In that same campaign, we played a mission where the Rebels tried to rescue a prisoner. Instead of using the Rebel mission token, we used Lando to represent the prisoner, as one of the Rebels does a killer Lando impression. Later, Diala ended up force pushing Lando to the objective, but she was capable of pushing him even further, so we figured that Diala accidentally pushed Lando out of a window, but he ended up escaping anyway.

In our current campaign, the villain is General Sorin, but I also earned Weiss to get his revenge for losing the last campaign (he also works decently with my class deck, despite his cost. I've actually had a good amount of luck with him). Anyway, Sorin usually gets taken out by a single activation (sometimes a single attack) whenever he arrives, while Weiss is more than pulling his weight. We figure there's a Tarkin/Krennic type of rivalry between the two, and Weiss is outshining Sorin in his own campaign.

Anyway, what are some moments like this in your own campaigns?

Note - all descriptions are generic to avoid spoilers other than that killing Jabba is how one of the finale options is resolved which is rather common sense and shouldn't be considered a spoiler.

We finished a Jabba's realm campaign a few weeks ago. It came down to the last turn. Garkhaan and Diala were near Jabba and vinto had been forced to run away to try to not get wounded. Murne was just out of range to finish off Jabba.

At this point Vinto was the only rebel not wounded and the imperials had just deployed gamorrean guards almost on top of him, needing to do one damage to wound him.

Jabba needed to take 6 damage to die and the imperial had the nemesis deck so Jabba was rolling two black defense dice. Diala was in position to attack twice and Garkhaan could get in one big focused attack. My friend who was playing Garkhaan desperately wanted to get in the final blow as Garkhaan had failed 3 strength ability checks in a row on the previous mission causing our plan to derail and losing that mission. All statistics and numbers said that Diala should have made two attacks.

Against my better judgment I agreed to let Garkhaan go for the win.

When the dice had settled, Garkhaan had rolled almost maximum damage and managed to finish off Jabba with 3 damage extra thanks to a poor defense roll for the Hutt.

The rebels proceeded to celebrate their hard fought victory.

Edited by Mattdj2002

@subtrendy2 , I'm glad you mentioned R2 because that little droid just makes for so much comic relief in this game. One smaller case was when I had an elite Nexu ready to do some damage, it had already taken some hits and had 2 HP left. The rebels decided to hit it with R2 just to try to get it stunned, and instead he just casually rolled up and fried the thing (which is less than a 10% chance based on my quick math).

The moment R2 had us in hysterics was during Canyon Run. I had one Heavy Trooper that had fallen behind in the fight and was just trying to catch up... R2 was just following behind him stunning him every round (without fail). If I ever tried to attack him he'd get a dodge or trigger Lucky. I can only picture a single Heavy Stormtrooper just limping away from this unkillable little blue astromech like it's Jason Vorhees.

The only thing I can think of that didn't involve R2 was getting the tech test to progress Reclassified which is still the last mission we played (I'm a Rebel in this one). I'll user spoiler tags, but it shouldn't spoil anything that's not in the mission briefing:

We found 5 clues so it required two successes. At the end of the second to last round we had Jyn focused and healthy at the terminal and she just whiffs. BGGY and doesn't get a single surge. Shyla's standing next to her (GG tech) hits successes on both dice and just bolts down the hall to start the last round, and Gideon commanded her to the exit. We barely won.

Another funny aside from the current campaign: we're two missions in and I've done more damage to Jyn with Fenn's Havoc Shot than the IP has. I don't think a single attack has been declared on her, the IP has been so focused on Fenn and Gideon. Shyla probably wouldn't have had any either if not for how that last mission ended.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

One of my favorite moments in the game was at the finale of twin shadows. The rebels had to sneak onto the imperial star destroyer and disable it's shields so that their ship could attack it and blow it up. In this mission, my rebels brought R2 as an ally. Halfway through the mission, the rebels were forced to retreat and left R2 behind at the important terminal. Unfortunately, Boba Fett and a pesky Elite Imperial officer stunned one of the slower rebels making their escape impossible and ultimately led to their demise in true Rogue one glory. Now as we know from Cannon, R2 and Boba live to see another day. So I wrote the ending that after being left behind at the terminal, R2 disabled the shields (with his auto success) and found his way to an escape pod, effectively saving the day for the rebellion. It was such a great ending to the story and I love that through happy accident R2 was the hero even though the "Hero's" were MIA/KIA.

In a subsequent campaign, my Rebels wanted to bring Biv, who was presumed dead from the explosion along with the rest of his group. I concocted the story that since Diala's ability is foresight , she (through a force vision) told the rebels to equip space suits during their retreat deeper into the Star Destroyer (to their confusion at the time). When the ship exploded, Biv put on his helmet and jumped right out of the severed star destroyer and into deep space. He was later recovered by a vehicle that received the distress call but was in a hypothermic state. He was put into a bacta tank until he was fit for duty. The final destiny of the rest of his team is still unknown

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo

Sorry I'm just learning how to use the hidden function- that post has Twin Shadows SPOILERS !

13 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Thought I'd make a thread for some of the funnier or big dramatic moments you've come across in your adventures!

I guess I'll go ahead and start:

On my second campaign, the heroes had earned the Droids as allies, while I'd earned Dengar. Extremely often, Dengar and R2 would just get engaged in a stun match, slogging each other down. Probably not the best strategic move for me, but we thought it was hilarious that Dengar and R2 had this weird rivalry, so we just rolled with it. :P

In that same campaign, we played a mission where the Rebels tried to rescue a prisoner. Instead of using the Rebel mission token, we used Lando to represent the prisoner, as one of the Rebels does a killer Lando impression. Later, Diala ended up force pushing Lando to the objective, but she was capable of pushing him even further, so we figured that Diala accidentally pushed Lando out of a window, but he ended up escaping anyway.

In our current campaign, the villain is General Sorin, but I also earned Weiss to get his revenge for losing the last campaign (he also works decently with my class deck, despite his cost. I've actually had a good amount of luck with him). Anyway, Sorin usually gets taken out by a single activation (sometimes a single attack) whenever he arrives, while Weiss is more than pulling his weight. We figure there's a Tarkin/Krennic type of rivalry between the two, and Weiss is outshining Sorin in his own campaign.

Anyway, what are some moments like this in your own campaigns?

****, I wanna be in your group!

in core there was a mission where the imperial player deployed Darth Vader, while the rebels had Chewbacca as an ally. Since Vader was no way near the objective, the rebels ran from him, while Chewbacca fought him. Every opportunity Chewbacca had he slammed Darth Vader further away - we had a fun time talking about how Chewbacca picked up Vader (ala Vader did with Palpatine) and just threw Vader further away while he was completely helpless.

I play the imperial player, and i was Play Return to Hoth. I like to put on voices and make characters and try to build atmosphere and tension, so when Dengar came into play, i put on a menacing voice, described him as the toughest foe the heroes may have come to encounter, made Dengar say a scary line and get him ready to attack.

only to get one-shotted by Gaarkan, and removed from the board. now when ever he appears he has a comical reputation among my players

16 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

I play the imperial player, and i was Play Return to Hoth. I like to put on voices and make characters and try to build atmosphere and tension, so when Dengar came into play, i put on a menacing voice, described him as the toughest foe the heroes may have come to encounter, made Dengar say a scary line and get him ready to attack.

only to get one-shotted by Gaarkan, and removed from the board. now when ever he appears he has a comical reputation among my players

Haha, that's great!

I'm really awful at voices. Like, really, really bad. If you've ever seen the film "I Love You Man", where all of Paul Rudd's attempts at impersonations just sound like an Irish person, that's totally me.

So, instead of trying for accurate voices in campaign, if I do them, they're just silly. I'll give my officers attempts at British accents, but they're really high pitched, too. Sometimes I try giving my characters a Boston or Brooklyn accent with a really deep voice, particularly if it would be especially ridiculous.

Every once in a while, I even sneak in my own "rewrites". For instance... well, it's a long story, but a group of friends (including my IA group) are going on a trip later this month, and we're renting a house. For whatever reason, one of the rooms in it has what looks suspicious like it would be used as a... well, a "dungeon" for adult activities (not the use we're going to put it to!... I think...) So anyway, during our Hoth campaign, every mission I have the heroes at some point stumble across a "dungeon" on the map that apparently belongs to Sorin. For those who have played the campaign... let's just say, Rescue Ops had a great example of this. :P It's become a weird, funny little Easter Egg for us.

Edited by subtrendy2

In the Hoth campaign we had a moment when using the imperial upgrade deck that allows a mortar attack.

Imp player used it with a Nexu, mortar cat was funny. painful but funny

38 minutes ago, Soontirbeblownup said:

In the Hoth campaign we had a moment when using the imperial upgrade deck that allows a mortar attack.

Imp player used it with a Nexu, mortar cat was funny. painful but funny

Haha, I'm doing that right now, actually! I've had wampas use it. Love the name "mortar cat", that's hilarious!

My group also loves to give nicknames to units. For instance, I once accidentally (see: drunkenly) called Dengar "Dendar", and that one stuck.

One slightly inappropriate thing my group does is give Officers profanity-laden nicknames. My rebels really hate officers, for some reason- I think it's a combination of their support abilities, and overall presumed smugness. For instance, "Officer ****face" (censorship mine) might be a prototypical example. I'm often impressed with their creativity. :P

Edited by subtrendy2
24 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

My group also loves to give nicknames to units. For instance, I once accidentally (see: drunkenly) called Dengar "Dendar", and that one stuck.

My buddy does this as well, and despite my best intentions the names always stick in my head too. I will never again be able to look at Kayn Somos and call him anything other than "Kanye".

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

Totally this too, Loku became Loki. Diala is Delia (after british cook) Verena is Vernon or HER(to our imp player at the time)

19 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

I've been playing Nemeses in our JR campaign. I keep playing Bossk with the card that reads something to the effect "reduce the cost of a villian by five threat and exhaust their deployment card". So for the first five missions or so where I used this, Bossk kept getting killed before he ever got to do anything. My rebels really get a kick out of it and I think it's part of their objectives now when ever they can swing it. JR spoilers:

They even went way out of their way to have Onar (haymaker) and Shyla (Mandalorian whip) fling him into the Sarlaac pit before he ever activated, and he was like 7 or 8 spaces away!

In the last mission we played, he finally gave me my moneys worth and then some, thanks Jabba!!!

Edited by VadersMarchKazoo
8 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

So for the first five missions or so where I used this, Bossk kept getting killed before he ever got to do anything.

That won't work with Maul . :D

31 minutes ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

I've been playing Nemeses in our JR campaign. I keep playing Bossk with the card that reads something to the effect "reduce the cost of a villian by five threat and exhaust their deployment card". So for the first five missions or so where I used this, Bossk kept getting killed before he ever got to do anything. My rebels really get a kick out of it and I think it's part of their objectives now when ever they can swing it.

We did the same to our imp player that campaign, bring the inquisitor. stick him on the board, shoot him with a tooled up Mak, strain to shoot again and if needs be a third shot. bye bye inquisitor!

Our group had a few nicknames as well - Shyla's ability was "Watch Me Whip," and one of the abilities in the Nemesis deck became "Prepare the Amish."

The Grand Inquisitor showed up in Bossk's Agenda mission and ended up getting dragged back and forth through the Swamp by Onar (with Haymaker) and Shyla. In that mission (not really a spoiler as it's in the initial rules), when a figure enters a space on the Swamp, it suffers 1 Strain. The Inquisitor ended up taking as much damage from the Swamp as he did from their attacks! So we decided he didn't really get injured; he was just so upset about getting his nice robes covered in mud that he went home :D . Then later in the mission (again, not *really* a spoiler) Bossk showed up with a Nexu. Since he was chasing the Rebels out of his swamp we named him "Shrek," and the Nexu "Donkey".

In the same campaign, whenever an Imperial Officer showed up he would consistently deal 3 or more damage when he attacked, and from long range too. So we decided he was the same officer in every mission, and he was following the Rebels around, trying to earn a promotion.

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Sometimes I try giving my characters a Boston or Brooklyn accent with a really deep voice, particularly if it would be especially ridiculous.

I have a mild Boston accent, when I drink it turns into a thick Boston accent. Fenn might acquire that when we play tonight... "That group'a troopas nevah stood a chance."

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

I have the heroes at some point stumble across a "dungeon" on the map that apparently belongs to Sorin. For those who have played the campaign... let's just say, Rescue Ops had a great example of this.

Poor Benex. I hope they used a safe word.

22 minutes ago, Stompburger said:

Bossk showed up with a Nexu. Since he was chasing the Rebels out of his swamp we named him "Shrek," and the Nexu "Donkey".

It's never come up in the movies so very few people know that Trandoshans have Scottish accents :P

Return to Hoth campaign, or as my group called it: Stockholmed Bounty Hunter.

Every mission that Dengar made an appearance, which was most of them, we would finish the mission with Dengar either completely surrounded by us Rebels, or in the case of the Bane mission where we had to rescue the hostages, get them on to the shuttle and escape, he was locked in the shuttle as we took off. We... kidnapped Dengar... Repeatedly.

Kind of changes the perspective of what happens if you have enough Boons in the Finale when you think about how his entire month was composed of being abducted by the same four terrorists, time and again. The experience has so coloured our perspectives of Dengar that during the Jabba's Realm mission Trophy Hunting, he was immediately disqualified due to fears of his abduction repeating itself.

Another moment was during Davos' side mission. My entire group noted that the nickname of Davos' mentor was 'The Duke,' and instantly started doing bad Duke Nukem impressions. So, for the giggles of it, I kit-bashed a Duke Nukem figure, and during the mission, when he spawned, the IP had the main theme of Duke Nukem 3d play on his phone... Alas, no pictures were taken, so I can't share the visual of our motley team staring at Duke Nukem in awe and stormtroopers wandering when we'd crossed over into another setting entirely...

Last humorous moment, though its more from a meta point... so far in our Jabba's Realm campaign, every attack, and I mean EVERY attack against Omar... has dealt exactly four damage. It doesn't matter what the player does. He's now got armour granting a passive one block, but now the dice rolls say five damage, or three and a pierce, which means he's still being dealt 4 damage each time. We call it his Curse of Four.

Edited by Solin Outlander

Hrm.... in Brushfire, I moved the AT-ST forward towards the entrance to engage the Rebels. Mak sat in the back for a while shooting at it, whittling it down bit by bit. Meanwhile, Gaarkhan charged it and then hit it again for something like 7 damage. I activated the AT-ST and moved it away from the heroes, as it had only a few HP left. Gaarkhan chased it down and killed. Now whenever I see Gaarkhan charge an unfortunate group of Stormtroopers, I see a Wookiee running after an AT-ST and cutting its leg off with a vibroax. :P

I just now (minutes ago) played Under siege and had Vader come in, used a regular officer to order him to move, who the **** orders Vader to move!

In his own activation he moved up to stand between Diala and Fenn and used brutality wounding both. I mean really wound, turn the card to the wounded side wound, epic!

26 minutes ago, Etheneus said:

I just now (minutes ago) played Under siege and had Vader come in, used a regular officer to order him to move, who the **** orders Vader to move!

In his own activation he moved up to stand between Diala and Fenn and used brutality wounding both. I mean really wound, turn the card to the wounded side wound, epic!

I think the IO's turn looked something like this-

Option 1: Imperial officer says: "Um, Lord Vader, sir, ummm, if you wouldn't mind, I mean if it isn't too much trouble, you know, well if you're good with it, you might want to move forward a smidge"

Option 2: Lord Vader says "Out of my way, Peck!"

5 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

my guys just call him toilet paper head

1 hour ago, VadersMarchKazoo said:

I think the IO's turn looked something like this-

Option 1: Imperial officer says: "Um, Lord Vader, sir, ummm, if you wouldn't mind, I mean if it isn't too much trouble, you know, well if you're good with it, you might want to move forward a smidge"

Option 2: Lord Vader says "Out of my way, Peck!"

for theme, instead of an order, my officers inform vader about information ahead, what he does with the information is up to him.... though the inform grants vader some movement :)

It was the last mission of twin shadows mini-campaign and Gaarkhan was just slicing his way to the bridge of the star destroyer. The closest imperial officer decided to run away. When I moved the figure away I found out there was a small stain (from some oily chips that we probably dropped previously) right where the officer previously was. However for story purpose we figured out this "little accident" was the officer's "response" from seeing Gaarkhan charge at him! "Coward" now takes all its sense

Had three incidents from a session of Twin Shadows. First one involved a case of ISB Infiltrators shooting through walls with their ability in the first mission of that campaign. Still not entirely sure if that was possible but everyone let it work. The second was when Kayne Somos, with extra health, was running away from Omar and Shyla but ended up getting taken out by the medical droid who wasn't even focused on the mission and happened to be next to him. The final time was actually during setup. One of our players doesn't know a whole lot about star wars so we were showing him figures and having him guess the names. Most were purposefully star trek themed.