Humor and Drama in Campaigns

By subtrendy2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

On 8/12/2017 at 2:54 AM, Firestorm42_ said:

Had three incidents from a session of Twin Shadows. First one involved a case of ISB Infiltrators shooting through walls with their ability in the first mission of that campaign. Still not entirely sure if that was possible but everyone let it work . The second was when Kayne Somos, with extra health, was running away from Omar and Shyla but ended up getting taken out by the medical droid who wasn't even focused on the mission and happened to be next to him. The final time was actually during setup. One of our players doesn't know a whole lot about star wars so we were showing him figures and having him guess the names. Most were purposefully star trek themed.

Interesting stuff! :)

I so rarely use ISB troopers, so maybe someone else's input would be more valuable, but the way I interpret this is that you would still need LOS.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:54 AM, Firestorm42_ said:

Had three incidents from a session of Twin Shadows. First one involved a case of ISB Infiltrators shooting through walls with their ability in the first mission of that campaign. Still not entirely sure if that was possible but everyone let it work. The second was when Kayne Somos, with extra health, was running away from Omar and Shyla but ended up getting taken out by the medical droid who wasn't even focused on the mission and happened to be next to him. The final time was actually during setup. One of our players doesn't know a whole lot about star wars so we were showing him figures and having him guess the names. Most were purposefully star trek themed.

Regarding the ISBs, their ability allows another figure to "perform an attack," the first step of which is declaring a valid target (among other things). In order to be a valid target the attacking figure must have LOS.

The Kayne/MHD one is awesome. I'm just picturing MHD popping him in the knee and saying "Ooopsie!"

1 hour ago, Uninvited Guest said:

The Kayne/MHD one is awesome. I'm just picturing MHD popping him in the knee and saying "Ooopsie!"

Makes me think of K2 clotheslining Jyn on Wobani :P

Image result for k2s0 rescue gif

Edited by subtrendy2
On 14/8/2017 at 4:48 PM, subtrendy2 said:

Interesting stuff! :)

I so rarely use ISB troopers, so maybe someone else's input would be more valuable, but the way I interpret this is that you would still need LOS.

Yeah you do need LOS to make an attack with ISB coordinated strike

It happened in Bespin Gambit first side mission

The rebels was just opened the door what leads to the the shorter chamber.

You all know what should happen.

Instead i deployed an imperial officer and a nexu.

I told them:

As you oppened the door you saw a fat old imperial officer and his pet nexu.

You relized that the nexu is not realy enjoy the petting and meowing in wain.

When the nexu saw the door is open he pounced ower you and runs to the balcony. The officer cries in a high pitch voice: Fluffy stooop!

But the nexu wont listen and escapes.

Now you have to encounter a very angry officer...

Wow, we just finished Know Your Enemy (Verena Talos side mission in Hoth). I'll put it in a spoiler to be safe

You have an officer (w +2 health in my case) who needs to be defeated for the rebels to win. Well it got to the final round and I had two royal guards blocking him in a corner. There was still one space open that the rebels could attack with. My officer at this point had 6 damage and survived:

- Quick draw attack from Jyn

- attack from echo trooper

- attack from Verena

- 2 attacks from Jyn

by rolling X on four of five attacks (protector w his regular roll was enough to negate one other attack). Now since he can re-roll with Cower, it's not quite as insane, but he only needed one damage - and yet survived through five attacks! You can be sure my rebels were incredibly peeved! :D

rebels get two rolls with 6 successes in return to echo base, MHD(most hated droid) can take a tank out with three attacks or combat override.

Adding to my Sorin/Weiss rivalry in my RtH campaign, I've also earned Agent Blaise. In the penultimate mission, I used all three. Sorin and Blaise didn't hold out too well, but Weiss hit like a truck and did some serious damage. I'd say he's pretty well redeemed himself from last campaign.

This weekend (I hope) is presumably going to be Sorin's last chance to actually be a good villain during the finale(seriously, he'd done nothing for me so far, other than buff some vehicles he was standing next to). And I presume Blaise will get his chance at some point to come back, but probably not until we finish the full campaigns and play the short ones.

So far, here has been my sort of theme around each campaign with this group, and future ones that I'm planning on (obviously subject to change):

Core (completed)- Deck: Military Might. Villains: (Random but iconic) Vader, Bossk, Dengar, Weiss (from campaign). Units: Random

Theme: Random Star Wars-y adventures

Return to Hoth (nearly completed)- Deck: Armored Onslaught. Villains: Weiss, Blaise, Sorin (from campaign), Dengar (from Campaign). Units: lots of vehicles, jet troopers. Very, very few merc units, mostly Imperials.

Theme: Redemption for Weiss and Dengar, heavy Imperial presence

Jabba's Palace(starting soon)- Deck: Inspiring Leadership (not sure on that). Villains: (Jabba and Terro from campaign), will also try to earn Bossk, IG-88, Fett, or the Vader Droids (for Imperial Missions).

Theme/Units: If working with Jabba, focusing on either Imperial units or rival scum units. If working with Empire, heavy Imperial presence with some scum allies.

Heart of the Empire (it'll be a while)- Deck: Nemesis. Villains: (Maul and Palp from campaign, Jabba and GI from Nemesis, Greedo from his card, perhaps Maul for additional play)

Theme/units: Don't know yet, haven't read campaign, of course

Oh man...

Spoilers for Return to Hoth:

Played the finale for RtH last night. My Rebels loved the two part mission structure and themes, it really went over well. In fact, the entire mission was a blast, from Sorin's villainous early exit to the line of storm and snow troopers getting into a Civil War-esque firing line and shooting into the crashed Star Destroyer hull before our heroes valiantly emerged amidst the smoke, blood, and snow.

This mission, and the entire campaign by extension, was really close. The heroes focused down Sorin, then went for the tank. At the end of the round, the Sorin class tank sat at 1 damage left to go. Meanwhile, three heroes were wounded (and Luke was defeated before the SD crashed) and the final healthy hero only had three damage left to go. The only group still left to activate that turn was the elite probe droid. I didn't have a clear shot on the last hero (Vinto) because the tank was in the way, and even moving once wouldn't clear me. However, I was able to move twice and end up right next to Vinto (and clear of the tank). I rolled for self destruct, and got all three damage I needed. Probe Droid self destruction won the campaign!

Another running gag we had on the mission was shaming the trandoshans for enslaving wookies.

We played History Repeat mission from HotE expansion campaign

After Lorn retrieved the shard, the rebel objective is to to interact with Lorn to take the shard from him (4 success on strength test) as soon as possible before Lorn gets pushed by imperial figures next to the Emperor otherwise you apply -2 surge to your test results. So on first occasion, the rebels sent a wounded Drokkatta (Blue-red-green dice for the test). Drokkatta was also focused thanks to C-3PO who accompanied the heroes in the old Jedi temple. Well Drokkatta ended the mission with 4 successes in one die roll (1 surge on blue die, 1 surge on red die, 1 surge on green die and 1 surge on the green die from focus condition). We'd imagine C-3PO telling Lorn to give up the shard with the famous "Let the wookie win" catch phrase lol!

Playing the Incoming mission from the core set, the players were a little concerned, as they would have to make Checks requiring 3 successes to proceed at each station. The two players with the best check dice immediately tear off into the outpost, while the other two stay outside to hold of the (shockingly) large numbers of imperials headed their way. I was using as many 'cheap' figures as I could, with a Nexu tossed in to do some damage.
Things are starting to go downhill for the players, and going downhill, fast. Fenn and Diala are next to the Exit point, with a Nexu poised to pounce and potentially knock Fenn to wounded. Two other heroes are wounded, more imperials inbound, and the artillery is falling like rain. Fenn's player picks up his dice....rolls....

And my response was a loud cry of [CENSORED]. The players managed the win, though it was almost a photo finish. I told Fenn's player that, if this was an RPG, I would have to give him bonus xp for making the GM cuss.

When Han Solo was rescued by Jyn Odan (played by the biggest fan of Han Solo you've ever known!) he proposed marriage to Han with his own wedding ring. Han Solo was rushing to escape not only because it was the goal of the mission, but to escape Jyn. In the finale, Han Solo was brought along to help as an Ally on the condition that he didn't want to see Jyn Odan ever again! :P

23519242_1477044459082615_67694301774619

5 hours ago, Phoenix_FFG said:

When Han Solo was rescued by Jyn Odan (played by the biggest fan of Han Solo you've ever known!) he proposed marriage to Han with his own wedding ring. Han Solo was rushing to escape not only because it was the goal of the mission, but to escape Jyn. In the finale, Han Solo was brought along to help as an Ally on the condition that he didn't want to see Jyn Odan ever again! :P

23519242_1477044459082615_67694301774619

"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee" comes to mind ;)

5 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee" comes to mind ;)

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!! That would have been great! :)

Just a side comment, I know I’ll never have time or skill to paint my figures - but daaaaaayaamm the paint makes a huge difference. Your setup looks great!! :)

#jealous

1 hour ago, totalnoob said:

Just a side comment, I know I’ll never have time or skill to paint my figures - but daaaaaayaamm the paint makes a huge difference. Your setup looks great!! :)

#jealous

#metoo

During the Chain of Command Mission in the Core Campaign, the Rebels were tasked with confronting and capturing General Weiss to uncover Intel on the Empire's latest weapon. When the General revealed himself, he had to very quickly get to his modified AT-ST to deal with the Rebel scum personally. As he made his way toward the hanger, he was supported by a lower-ranked officer, issuing orders to his Stormtroopers from a safe distance . Gaarkhan confronts Weiss, charging toward him. Gaarkhan attempts to eliminate Weiss before he reaches the hanger, but the truly unthinkable occurs: with support from the adjacent officer, Weiss is able to dodge each of Gaarkhan's attacks, slipping past him and sprinting toward the AT-ST at the next available opportunity. As the other Rebels look on in disbelief, Weiss enters the cockpit, channeling his hatred to his unwanted guests.

Piloting the AT-ST, Weiss and the Imperials force the Rebels into a hallway, trapped by the lumbering death machine and the Stormtrooper reinforcements that appeared further down the hall. With few options, the Rebels desperately engage in a two-fold engagement of survival, with Han Solo and Jyn Odan fending off the advancing Stormtoopers while Gideon Argus provides tactical support to Mak Eshka'rey and Gaarkhan as they focus fire onto Weiss and his cadre of Elite Stormtroopers in the hanger. After a few desperate rounds, the weary Rebels were able to finally defeat the arrogant General through concentrated fire and attrition.

Those were good times. :)

Edited by Kunitzu San
3 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

During the Chain of Command Mission in the Core Campaign, the Rebels were tasked with confronting and capturing General Weiss to uncover Intel on the Empire's latest weapon. When the General revealed himself, he had to very quickly get to his modified AT-ST to deal with the Rebel scum personally. As he made his way toward the hanger, he was supported by a lower-ranked officer, issuing orders to his Stormtroopers from a safe distance . Gaarkhan confronts Weiss, charging toward him. Gaarkhan attempts to eliminate Weiss before he reaches the hanger, but the truly unthinkable occurs: with support from the adjacent officer, Weiss is able to dodge each of Gaarkhan's attacks, slipping past him and sprinting toward the AT-ST at the next available opportunity. As the other Rebels look on in disbelief, Weiss enters the cockpit, channeling his hatred to his unwanted guests.

Piloting the AT-ST, Weiss and the Imperials force the Rebels into a hallway, trapped by the lumbering death machine and the Stormtrooper reinforcements that appeared further down the hall. With few options, the Rebels desperately engage in a two-fold engagement of survival, with Han Solo and Jyn Odan fending off the advancing Stormtoopers while Gideon Argus provides tactical support to Mak Eshka'rey and Gaarkhan as they focus fire onto Weiss and his cadre of Elite Stormtroopers in the hanger. After a few desperate rounds, the weary Rebels were able to finally defeat the arrogant General through concentrated fire and attrition.

Those were good times. :)

As a side-note, Gideon and Mak are ridiculously overpowered.

Darn, just reading these stories and ruminating on my own experiences is really making me itch to play another campaign! Thanks, community!

Surely we're not the only ones to use:

"You've been Bossked!"

Really, it's the imagery of Robot Chicken, but I think it still counts.

My team name in the app for last night's trial run was a bit... derivative. :P

DQKG8tUU8AAZ3C0.jpg:large

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

My team name in the app for last night's trial run was a bit... derivative. :P

DQKG8tUU8AAZ3C0.jpg:large

Nick Fury, Quicksilver, Hulk and Black Widow looks like a pretty good team :D

(unless this is some other reference I'm missing)

1 hour ago, Stompburger said:

Nick Fury, Quicksilver, Hulk and Black Widow looks like a pretty good team :D

(unless this is some other reference I'm missing)

Nah, it's a joke in Ragnarok.

Though I totally thought that Onar would make a good Hulk, too. I wonder who you'd need to make the original four (Cap, Stark, Thor, Hulk)? :P

3 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Though I totally thought that Onar would make a good Hulk, too. I wonder who you'd need to make the original four (Cap, Stark, Thor, Hulk)? :P

Cap - Fenn?

Stark - Jarrod?

Thor - Biv? Gaarkhan?

15 hours ago, Stompburger said:

Cap - Fenn?

Stark - Jarrod?

Thor - Biv? Gaarkhan?

I think Fenn as Cap works- both kinda vanilla, both kinda the poster child.

For Stark, hear me out- Shyla. She's got the suit, the gear and gadgets. She's a Mandalorian, so she's probably pretty snarky, too.

Thor- Probably the hardest one. I guess Gaarkhan. There's no one to really match the lightning stuff (outside of Sheev) and no one really has a hammer, so a giant axe would have to do.