Humor and Drama in Campaigns

By subtrendy2, in Imperial Assault Campaign

16 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

I think I know what mission you're referring to. I don't think any Imperial Player has been happy with Vader in that mission. Usually he kicks down a door to find everyone's already at the exit.

My friend playing the IP read that instruction at the end of our previous session and said "THAT'S GOING TO BE SO FUN FOR ME! IT'S GONNA SUCK FOR YOU, BUT IT'LL BE FUN FOR ME!" He was so mad when he saw how it actually played out.

If this is the bespin mission then that wasn't the one I was referring to, but I played that mission as the IP and yeah, I experienced that problem as well. Especially against Shyla with all of her extra movement points, who in one action moved as far as Vader would if he double moved.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, Kunitzu San said:

Do you ever get the feeling that, as the Imperial player, you just have a knack of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? We're about to hit the "Return to Echo Base" mission for the interlude, and I have lost every single mission thus far. Mind you a lot of them have been incredibly close, but I personally think the ROTH campaign victory conditions better favors the Rebels. I don't mind it too much because everyone is having a great time, myself included, but I'm curious if anyone else gets that unlucky streak?

Just to let everyone know, last week I had reversed my fortunes! Upon completing Return to Echo Base, again a Rebel Victory, the mission prompted an Agenda Mission: Binary Revolution, IG-88's Side Mission. Despite the Rebels best efforts, my druids continued to support each other with Technical Support, mitigating damage and stunning the rebels with Arc Blasters. They were able to knock out IG and one of his copies, but ran out of time to take out the final clone before conceding defeat. Two of the rebels were supremely frustrated by this, although I played to the strengths of the mission (plus, they are 7-1 at this point; what exactly are you complaining about?). It was tense, but I ultimately won the day and they did begrudgingly congratulate me. IG-88 probably won't make another appearance until the final mission, but the sounds of servos and drills will continue to echo in their minds.

Image result for droid uprising

The houserule that I use is that I will use the default version if it came from the mission, but if I actually spent threat (or received threat, in case of Rebel allies) I will use the skirmish attachment as well

IG-88 FotK is definitely worth 12, even in campaign without his Blaze of Glory

My favorite Verena Talos moment came from when she stabbed the SC2-M Repulsor tank to death with her starting knife, then proceeded to use the tank’s cannon to blow a Stormtrooper to smithereens via Combat Momentum. Mechanically it’s sound of course, but we tried to imagine the poor Stormie’s train of thought as he saw Verena run up to a tank, stab it with a knife until it blew up, carve the canon off like she was using a can opener, then firing away with the laser.

1 hour ago, KalEl814 said:

My favorite Verena Talos moment came from when she stabbed the SC2-M Repulsor tank to death with her starting knife, then proceeded to use the tank’s cannon to blow a Stormtrooper to smithereens via Combat Momentum. Mechanically it’s sound of course, but we tried to imagine the poor Stormie’s train of thought as he saw Verena run up to a tank, stab it with a knife until it blew up, carve the canon off like she was using a can opener, then firing away with the laser.

Haha, that's fantastic!

I guess maybe you could argue the knife was used against the tiny snowtrooper inside, Verena managing to hop in and take a shot before the tank succumbed to its accumulated damage...

But I kinda like your way better anyway.

11 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Haha, that's fantastic!

I guess maybe you could argue the knife was used against the tiny snowtrooper inside, Verena managing to hop in and take a shot before the tank succumbed to its accumulated damage...

But I kinda like your way better anyway.

I Imagine her running up, throwing her dagger into the driver. As he slumps onto and triggers the firing controls, Verena grabs the gun barrel and pushes it to the side just as it fires, hitting the unfortunate stormtrooper.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:09 AM, Majushi said:

I Imagine her running up, throwing her dagger into the driver. As he slumps onto and triggers the firing controls, Verena grabs the gun barrel and pushes it to the side just as it fires, hitting the unfortunate stormtrooper.

Our headcanon absolutely had Verena running up to the tank and stabbing the thing itself while the confused Snowtrooper pilot looked on in horror as Verena was now between the canons and couldn’t be stopped until it was destroyed like some kind of Street Fighter II bonus stage.

Sure it makes much less sense this way, but... it’s objectively more awesome.

Edited by KalEl814

When my rebel players will select CT-1701 as one of their heroes for an upcoming campaign, I think I won't be able to resist. I'll prank them by selecting one of my hidden agenda card and say out loud : "Commander Wildfire, the time has come, execute Order 66"

3 hours ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

When my rebel players will select CT-1701 as one of their heroes for an upcoming campaign, I think I won't be able to resist. I'll prank them by selecting one of my hidden agenda card and say out loud : "Commander Wildfire, the time has come, execute Order 66"

You could play the Power of the Dark Side deck, and pick up Embrace Suffering. I bet they get sick of hearing it really fast! :lol:

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, Majushi said:

This is all fantastic! Verena is definitely a character that gets the cool hero moments; that moment that @Majushi describes definitely feels like something ripped from classic Star Wars. Our next mission is actually going to be her side mission where she has to face off against her Imperial Officer twin brother, so I am anticipating quite the taunting to take place.

During our TS mini campaign (sometimes ago) my friend was playing Biv. Early in the campaign, he used Close and Personal on my regular e-web and managed to kill it with the first attack (3 damages on red and 2 on yellow while I rolled an evade). We imagined Biv running toward the poor scout trooper who was trying to move his tripod in position to intercept the rebel only to be punched in the face by Biv's gun. His legend was born as the "bare hand" killer. Toward the end of the campaign, Biv's legend status faded away as my friend found out about the limitation of the character lol.

In my Jabba's Realm LOTA campaign an eUgnaught dropped a very motivated Junk Droid that cruised 6 spaces across the map to lay 4 damage on an Alliance Ranger. Luckily only 4 out of 5 health. Unfortunately while the Ranger was still in shock from being zapped (?) within an inch of his life by a piece of junk the eWampa activated and Roared (figures within 5 spaces test strength or take a strain) the Ranger to death. Just hearing that beastly wail made the Ranger just pack it in.

We recently added 0-0-0 and BT to our roster. There's probably better options, strategy wise ... but thematically they're too fun and have been showing up in every single mission possible since.

... especially since my brother, empire, has been voicing BT as GIR from Invader Zim.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, thinkbomb said:

We recently added 0-0-0 and BT to our roster. There's probably better options, strategy wise ... but thematically they're too fun and have been showing up in every single mission possible since.

... especially since my brother, empire, has been voicing BT as GIR from Invader Zim.

BT is menacingly stalking down the halls toward the Rebels, all the while singing the Doom Song.

Happy New Year, friends!

After a few weeks hiatus from IA, we got right back in with a new campaign of the Core Box. It's been an interesting composition with the core game, as the heroes comprise of Drokkata, Diala, Jarrod & Jax, and Finn, while I am using the Precision Training Class for the Imperials.

We're a little over halfway through the campaign at the time of this writing, and there has been a ton of dramatic, interesting moments. But none has topped when we did Diala's side mission, Temptation. Full spoilers to anyone who hasn't done this particular mission:

As Diala hears the cries of her former master through reverberations in the Force, the group is drawn to Yavin 4 as they hope to learn his fate and help Diala find peace within herself. There they encounter the ghostly visages of fallen and present Imperials, the pull of the Dark Side testing them along the way. These apparitions are much fiercer and wily than they were in life, emerging seemingly out of the mists to exact post-mortem vengeance, wounding Fenn and hurting Drokkata and Diala. Diala continues on, moving forward to the chamber with the few remaining resolve that she has. Upon opening the chamber, she witnesses the horror as a projection of her master screams in torment, violently collapsing in on himself and re-emerging with the long, deliberate breaths of Darth Vader.

Vader advances forward, intent on taking Diala out for good. Despite their best efforts, the Rebels are terrified of Vader as he successfully absorbs most of their attacks, slowly advancing forward and dealing crippling damage. Hoping to gain a better position, Diala is instead ambushed by the specter of the Grand Inquisitor, who emerges from the shadows to critically wound her thanks to Agenda "Targeted by the Empire". A few more shots by Stormtroopers and light saber strikes by Vader, Diala is in rough shape and cornered by Vader, on the verge of being removed completely and only scant willpower remaining. This is the final turn; if Vader is not defeated in this turn, her willpower will be depleted and the mission over. Diala realizes that she has only one option: to fight Vader, one on one. Using what little she has, Diala makes one final swing; we roll. She catches Vader off-guard with her new found strength, as Vader's block roll is not enough to stop her from getting in the three hits that she needs. With a final swing, Diala's lightsaber cuts into Vader, as he and the other specters slowly dissipate into the darkened jungle, leaving the old Jedi's lightsaber sticking out in the mud.

It's these little moments, framed by the story and flavor presented in the missions, that makes this game so rewarding to play. Even if you come on the losing end, you are so enraptured in the events. It's just pure Star Wars.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, LordDraigo1 said:

A fond moment I have of the campaign, the Diala force throw antics.

Playing a mission that involved Darth Vader. And big bad Vader comes strolling up to lay the beat down onto the team. However, the Lord of the sith, the "chosen one," apparently has a weakness to being flung around the field like a ragdoll. Next thing Vader knew, he was flung behind a wall of bodies and difficult terrain, and couldnt do anything but chill.

This was followed up by a focused Diala one shotting Agent Blaise with her basic weapon and Dancing Weapon with the attachment to swap a dice for another dice.

After Onar had already one shot Bossk.

The imperial player took it like a champ though

That actually reminds me of some of the promotional materials for the Force Unleashed II video game, where a CG trailer shows Vader slamming through a series of walls like a wrecking ball. Perhaps Diala also has over-the-top Force powers?

Murne_Helmet.jpg

... I just bought a Mandalorian Helmet for Murne in our current campaign.

20 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

Murne_Helmet.jpg

... I just bought a Mandalorian Helmet for Murne in our current campaign.

That's just a thing of pure beauty.

... I feel like it’s sucking my soul out through my eyes.

I mean that as a compliment to the art, but, wow, do I feel uncomfortable looking at it 😂 .

thanks all! XD

On 1/20/2019 at 5:27 AM, thinkbomb said:

thanks all! XD

great artwork, i have been trying to implement the different looking helmets into some of the artwork for my app. might make this one an official looking helmet