Sorry About The Mess: Arena D

By Richardbuxton, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

18 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

3. Do you think you might have ignored the lost lightsaber and Ebbed me to death? I was actually worried about that.

Unlikely. You have Selective Detonation, so technically, you could have 'naded me at engaged range, and excluded yourself from the Blast. I may have tried Ebb on you, but it would have taken 3-6 turns for me to force you beyond your threshold, and that's not accounting for your being able to recover strain on Advantage. EDIT: Ebb/Flow is an amazing power, but unless you have a high Force Rating (which Consular as a whole benefits from more than other F&D careers), it's not good enough for a win if that is your only source of strain damage.

Me, on the other hand, had no damage mitigation without the saber, and Cheevil does not have a very high soak either. Had it not been for the massive damage of the thermal detonator, I could have used a stimpack to clutch and keep the fight going, but that thing is NASTY. EDIT2: Even if I reclaimed my weapon in time, I would not have been able to parry enough of the damage to survive that. And then you still could have triggered blast, which in itself would have been enough to melt me. I actually have no idea how to counter that weapon, not with this build.

Just by the way, there are many way to keep melee fighters off your back, but Ataru strikers (being one of the most mobile forms of saber combat), has this Amazing Hawk Bat Swoop talent which lets me engage as an incidental. Without the disarm, I'm sure I would have worn you down. Well played, @SavageBob .

Edited by Darth Lectus
addition

Congratulation to the little demolistic droid! good Work there @SavageBob

You did well too @Darth Lectus !

very fine Roleplay both of you!

BTW @Darth Lectus after the initial hit of any grenade the BLAST effect would only affect other targets than the primary target, except when it missed the initial attack an blast is triggered with three advantages, so if you survive the first hit barely would don't have to be afraid of the BLAST effect... only for the crit + viscious (looking at the two triumphs)... and beeing naked afterwards...

Edited by Nightone
1 minute ago, Nightone said:

BTW @Darth Lectus after the initial hit the Blast effect would only hit other target than the primary targed, except when it missed the initial attack an blast is triggered with three advantages, so if you survive the first hit barely would don't have to be afraid of the BLAST effect... only for the crit + viscious (looking at the two triumphs)... and beeing naked afterwards...

True, had he missed on the attack, I could have parried the Blast (if I had my lightsaber!) but would have been very close to my Wound Threshold. But that is up to blind luck, not a matter of tactics. As it is, I had no way out of that attack, without parry, Blast 15 & Breach 1 is more than I could handle.

yeah true ^^" TDs are beast (and the main reason for my high WT/Soak+C build ^^")

Destiny Roll

1eF : 1 Dark Side [1eF=DS]
f-ds.png

So we are at 2 Dark 1 Light currently.

Heat 2: Initiative

1eP+2eA : 2 successes, 4 advantage [1eP=S/A] [2eA=A/A, S/A]
p-s-a.png a-a-a.png a-s-a.png

And I'll be going first.

Do you have (or anyone) a link to the area descriptions again?

3 hours ago, SithArissa said:

I'll roll for stuff if you don't mind @Darth Lectus

Scenario Roll 1d25 = 6

Hanger.

Range = 42

Short.

Initiative Skill = 68

Vigilance.

I'll pick high for Destiny roll, so whenever you are ready go for it.

Thanks @SithArissa ! That's really hilarious; I rolled a 6 on the d25 as well, yesterday when trying to form the post :D

I ran into problems since I left my computer charger at work, and my phone was not liking all the rich text editing that I was trying to do :P

Oh didn't mean to step on your toes @awayputurwpn

Just now, SithArissa said:

Oh didn't mean to step on your toes @awayputurwpn

No not at all! I'll just include it all in the kick-off post. One moment please...

Scenario Roll Arena D : 1d25 6 = The Hangar

Ce1BtVWUUAIspJK.jpg

The Backstory:

Found on a Rebel capital ship, the hangar’s flight deck was a noisy and dangerous place. With starfighters and speeders taxying to and fro, and myriad droids scurrying about, not to mention flammable fuels and tibanna gas canisters, hazards abounded. The Rebellion had been preparing for an offensive against the Empire, and had engaged Cheevil's services as a mechanic, not knowing of his background as a Jedi padawan.

The dark Jedi, Arissa, had stowed away with murderous intent—the assassination of an important Rebel general. She arrived on the ship shortly before the jump to hyperspace.

The General Properties:

1. Verbal communication may only be accomplished at short range or closer.
  2. A computer terminal is available in the encounter area, and is currently at medium range from both combatants.

The Security Walker is not a feature for this encounter. The Rebellion is focused singularly on their all-important objective, and in any case they know better than to get involved in a lightsaber fight. So both Cheevil and Arissa are on their own for this one, in terms of character combatants.

The Combatants: Cheevil Batt, Chadra-Fan Seeker vs. Sith Arissa, Twi'lek Mystic

Range : 1d100 42 = you will start at short range from each other in the hangar. The hangar is well-lit with direct lighting coming from above in the main area, with shadows cast by the numerous ships.

Initiative Skill : 1d100 68 = Vigilance.

Setting The Scene:

Arissa's job was done, and no one was the wiser. The hum of the hyperdrive was replaced by the rumble of sublight engines as the ship returned to realspace above their Imperial target, which appeared to be a water world. But this was of little consequence. The space battle began, and Cheevil watched proudly as the fighters were launched. As Arissa stealthily sought to escape, both she and Cheevil felt a disturbance in the Force—and their eyes locked from opposite sides of a docked A-Wing. For a heartbeat, neither of them spoke or acted.

The hangar is massive, a long range "cube" of sorts, with adequate overhead lighting, plenty of cover, and lots of maintenance droids. Elevated walkways run the length of the hangar on all three walls, cables and hoses hang haphazardly suspended from the ceiling or from mechanical cranes, and volatile materials are being carted around in bulk quantities.

Cheevil and Arissa have no weapons drawn but begin at short range from each other (the only range at which they can hear each other speak).

Special Ruling Suggestion:

I'd allow a Destiny Point to be spent prior to Arissa's first skill check for either (or both) combatant to have drawn their lightsaber. This would count as spending a Destiny Point on the turn (so if you take this option, you cannot spend another DP to upgrade the ability of difficulty of the check). The "Quick Draw" talent would have no bearing on this special rule.

Edited by awayputurwpn
to bring the narrative in line with Arissa's.

Having done away with the General and disposed the body, Arissa headed for the hanger bay looking to 'acquire' a new ship to make her way back to the temple on Koriiban where her ghostly master awaited the good news. Stepping into the large room she surveyed her surroundings looking for a familiar class of ship. She stopped suddenly walking towards a small shuttle as her well trained senses picked up another Force user in the vicinity. The individual was a Chadra-Fan. Arissa remembered she had a toy doll of the species as one of her only possessions in the slaver camp that had popped up on the hostile planet of ancient Sith Lords when the transport had crashed there. The temptation to pick up the creature and squeeze it to see if it make the same high pitched squeak as the doll was quickly pushed back inside the dark recesses of her mind where all the memories of those times were kept. This thing was a threat to her and would be disposed of just as with the General.

I'm gonna keep my destiny points and suffer 2 strain to add another manoeuvre drawing my weapon and moving into engaged for an immediate attack. Roll to follow.

Saber Attack

2eB+2eP+2eA+2eD+1eS : 2 successes, 1 advantage [2eB=A, A/A] [2eP=S, S/S] [2eA=-, A] [2eD=F, Th/Th] [1eS=Th]
b-a.png b-a-a.png p-s.png p-s-s.png a--.png a-a.png d-f.png d-th-th.png s-th.png

So that's 9 damage, I assume you will be parrying since you can draw your Saber as an incidental @Darth Lectus ?

I will also use my singe Advantage to gain back 1 Strain.

Current Stats - Wounds: 0/13 Strain: 1/13

Edit: or you can use your Destiny point. I should have waited till you had said if so or not.

Edited by SithArissa
1 hour ago, SithArissa said:

So that's 9 damage, I assume you will be parrying since you can draw your Saber as an incidental @Darth Lectus ? ...

Edit: or you can use your Destiny point. I should have waited till you had said if so or not.

Yes, the Destiny Point is the only way Cheevil can draw his lightsaber for this turn. Quick Draw is an incidental, not an out-of-turn incidental.

21 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

Yes, the Destiny Point is the only way Cheevil can draw his lightsaber for this turn. Quick Draw is an incidental, not an out-of-turn incidental.

It took a while until Cheevil managed to recall what exactly happened in that canyon. The explosion, blinding flash and deafening sound, and the sensation of weightlessness as he was thrown, hard against the rock wall. Then, when he briefly regained consciousness, the balmy touch of some thick fluid, all around his body, the gentle pressure of a breathing mask on his face. Then, the silky warmth of a blanket and the reassuring softness of a bed. Eventually, he stopped blacking out and soon gathered that it was some Rebel cruiser that picked him up after his loss. A few days later, he was allowed to leave the medbay and roam freely on the ship. When, not long after, the ready sirens went off and the steady rush of soldiers rushing to battle stations began, he decided to head to the main hangar and watch the fighter squadrons' launch.

While on his way there, a bad feeling engulfed him, as if something had happened - but he couldn't quite put his fingers on what it may have been. In the hangar, he found a nice viewing spot under the hull of an A-wing scheduled for repair, well out of the way of the hurrying pilots. And then the feeling was there again, much more urgent and menacing. He glanced around to see what was there - and saw the crimson blade of a lightsaber rushing towards him. He didn't even register his own hands moving towards the curved two handed hilt of his own shoto, but it was only by mere luck //and a Destiny point//, that the Twi'lek's weapon chipped the starship's side and was slowed down for the fraction of a second, allowing him to finish the draw and ignite the weapon. The blades met with a hiss and he pushed, hard, on the side, taking the tip lightly in the shoulder and not fully in the face.

//That's me without DPs, 5612 wounds and 3/14 strain after a Parry.//

He grunted angrily at the pain but it was nothing compared to being hit by a Thermal Detonator and barely getting away alive. He turned his weapon, leading his opponent's blade down towards the ground, and followed the deflection up with a vicious flurry of upward strikes, trying to hurt and exhaust his opponent at the same time.

Heat 2: First attack. Cheevil spends a maneuver to activate Saber Swarm, taking another strain. This attack will have Linked 2 quality, and also adding Ebb to the roll. Boost for accurate quality and 3 setbacks for opponent's defense. : 2eA+2eP+2eD+3eS+2eF+1eB 1 success, 3 advantage, 3 Light Side
a-s-a.png a--.png p-s-a.png p-s-s.png d-f.png d-f.png s-f.png s--.png s--.png f-ls.png f-ls-ls.png b-a.png

//Automatic advantgage from curved hilt is not included above, so I have a total of 4. I will activate both ranks of Linked, inflicting 5 damage beyond soak 7 wounds & Breach 3times, unless parried, and the light side pips I rolled will inflict 3 strain on Arissa.

That's me without DPs, 5/12 wounds and 4/14 strain after a Parry and Ebb.//

Edited by Darth Lectus
math

I need a ruling from @awayputurwpn about how many times I'm allowed to do an oot incidental (or one on my turn) before my response. Will I be able to flip all 3 Destiny points I have in a single turn?

Edited by SithArissa

Actually if i can use it oot and on my turn I can use 2 without a ruling on number of times by spending one at the end of @Darth Lectus turn and one on mine. So I will do that flipping 2 dark over those 2 turns to use Intense Presence to recover 8 strain (4 x2) so I will parry all 3 hits for 9 strain. Should only lose 1? leaving me at 10 strain on my turn.

Edit sorry I'm doing it the wrong way again - Strain 5/15

The little rat was elusive and trained with the Saber better than she expected. After her initial blow was parried he struck back with a flurry of swings faster than any she had seen from the trainees and amateurs that were usually her prey. Batting ( pun intended ) away the strikes was however easy for her trained senses. She was made, no, BORN to duel. This failure of a jedi could not stand up to her. No one could. No one can. Her master would soon know this as well.

Saber Attack

2eB+2eP+2eA+2eD+1eS : 3 successes, 2 advantage, 1 Triumph [2eB=A/A, S/A] [2eP=-, Tr] [2eA=S/A, S/S] [2eD=Th, F/Th] [1eS=F]
b-a-a.png b-s-a.png p--.png p-tr.png a-s-a.png a-s-s.png d-th.png d-f-th.png s-f.png

So 10 Damage, I will use the triumph to activate the Burn 1 Quality so you will take 7 minus soak at the start of your turn unless you make a 2 Difficulty Coordination check on your turn to put out the fire/burn. And the advantage will put me to 3/15 strain. I guess there's gonna be a parry @Darth Lectus ?

Edited by SithArissa
46 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

Actually if i can use it oot and on my turn I can use 2 without a ruling on number of times by spending one at the end of @Darth Lectus turn and one on mine. So I will do that flipping 2 dark over those 2 turns to use Intense Presence to recover 8 strain (4 x2) so I will parry all 3 hits for 9 strain. Should only lose 1? leaving me at 10 strain on my turn.

Edit sorry I'm doing it the wrong way again - Strain 5/15

The little rat was elusive and trained with the Saber better than she expected. After her initial blow was parried he struck back with a flurry of swings faster than any she had seen from the trainees and amateurs that were usually her prey. Batting ( pun intended ) away the strikes was however easy for her trained senses. She was made, no, BORN to duel. This failure of a jedi could not stand up to her. No one could. No one can. Her master would soon know this as well.

Saber Attack

2eB+2eP+2eA+2eD+1eS : 3 successes, 2 advantage, 1 Triumph [2eB=A/A, S/A] [2eP=-, Tr] [2eA=S/A, S/S] [2eD=Th, F/Th] [1eS=F]
b-a-a.png b-s-a.png p--.png p-tr.png a-s-a.png a-s-s.png d-th.png d-f-th.png s-f.png

So 10 Damage, I will use the triumph to activate the Burn 1 Quality so you will take 7 minus soak at the start of your turn unless you make a 2 Difficulty Coordination check on your turn to put out the fire/burn. And the advantage will put me to 3/15 strain. I guess there's gonna be a parry @Darth Lectus ?

//I don't think there's a limit on the number of OOT incidentals, so parrying all 3 blows is a possibility. Intense Presence is also specified as OOT, so I think your series of activations there is correct, no ruling needed. I'll write my reply soon. Whew, this is intense already. //

//Actually, I think I lost. :( I can parry the blow and reduce the damage but the Burn damage at the beginning of my turn will take me over my WT. Am I right, @awayputurwpn ?//

12 minutes ago, Darth Lectus said:

//Actually, I think I lost. :( I can parry the blow and reduce the damage but the Burn damage at the beginning of my turn will take me over my WT. Am I right, @awayputurwpn ?//

You can use your action to put out the fire before damage I believe but it will leave you with only a manoeuvre on your turn.

Let me just catch up here and I'll look things over :)

5 hours ago, SithArissa said:

I need a ruling from @awayputurwpn about how many times I'm allowed to do an oot incidental (or one on my turn) before my response. Will I be able to flip all 3 Destiny points I have in a single turn?

Yeah there isn't a limit to OOT incidentals (barring if someone's build was somehow totally out of hand with OOT stuff, but you're fine). There are, however, limits to Destiny; you are limited to one per action. In other words, one per turn. So you made a good call there with spending one on Cheevil's turn, and one on your turn.

2 hours ago, Darth Lectus said:

If I'm looking at it right, if you Parry, you'll be sitting at 11/12 wounds at the end of Arissa's turn. Is that correct?

He will be at 11/12 yes and the burn will be 4 damage. We need to know if the coordination check can come before burn damage.

25 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

He will be at 11/12 yes and the burn will be 4 damage. We need to know if the coordination check can come before burn damage.

Correction: Burn causes the weaqpon's base damage, so that's 7.

6 minutes ago, Darth Lectus said:

Correction: Burn causes the weaqpon's base damage, so that's 7.

The burn doesn't/cant have breach as far as I can tell.