Sorry About The Mess: Arena D

By Richardbuxton, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

6 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

That works for me, but I'll wait for our illustrious GM, @awayputurwpn , to make the official pronouncement. Is Pango out of it?

Ha ha, thankfully, no. Firstly, the characteristic is treated as 1 lower, not actually reduced by any means. Secondly, characteristics cannot be reduced below 1 by any means of which I'm aware. So I'm gonna rule that this critical injury doesn't have any effect beyond just being a Critical Injury.

38 minutes ago, awayputurwpn said:

Ha ha, thankfully, no. Firstly, the characteristic is treated as 1 lower, not actually reduced by any means. Secondly, characteristics cannot be reduced below 1 by any means of which I'm aware. So I'm gonna rule that this critical injury doesn't have any effect beyond just being a Critical Injury.

//I'm cool with this. Your move, @SavageBob //

Pango scooted across the volcanic earth with a skittish cadence, zooming a bit down one black-sand path and then zipping up another. The droid's photoreceptors scanned the forbidding terrain carefully for the opponent, the words of his master, the Sullustan orphan Turee Yuun, echoing through his memory banks: "Win this one, Pango. If you don't, Guapa the Hutt's likely to sell me into slavery or give me up to the Empire… or worse." Pango didn't want to fail. He would win this for Turee.

Suddenly, Pango's sensors picked up movement down the path. The scan was clear: It was the opponent, a Chadra-Fan, not much bigger than Pango himself. Pango steeled himself for combat, but before he knew it, the small organic creature was on him, slashing with a green blade. Turee had hear rumors that there would be lightsabers in the competition, and she'd convinced Guapa so pay the exorbitant cost for something called "cortosis." But the blows still landed. And they still hurt. One blow in particular found a gap in Pango's shell-like armor and gashed through his logic circuits. The little droid was a bit dazed for a moment as the little creature continued to slash away.

Pango knew he needed to get this flashy thing away from him. His treads flew into reverse and went into overdrive to back away from the enemy. His arsenal then selected something that might keep the little flashy-thing at bay: a glop grenade. A small hole opened in the droid's armor, and he prepared to hurl the projectile.

I'm using a maneuver to disengage to short range, then another to draw my glop grenade. I'm going to use my action to throw it. My roll gets 1 setback for Cheevil's ranged defense, but otherwise, I think it's a simple roll? Here goes:

Glop grenade (Ranged (Light)) : 3eP+2eA+1eD+1eS 2 successes, 5 advantage
p-a-a.png p-a-a.png p-s-a.png a-s.png a-a-a.png d-th-th.png s--.png

@awayputurwpn , can you confirm I'm not doing something wrong? Once I know, I'll suggest what do do with the advantage!

Edited by SavageBob
1 minute ago, SavageBob said:

, can you confirm I'm not doing something wrong? Once I know, I'll suggest what do do with the advantage!

Looks good—just make sure to note the strain on your character sheet for that second maneuver.

For the 5 advantage: I can't crit with a glop grenade, and there's no need to trigger blast, so how about an environmental effect: " Steam Eruption: The character is blinded until the end of their next turn, and suffers 2 strain." According to the scenario doc, that's three Threat (so 3 Advantage), and I'll use the other 2 Advantage to get a free maneuver on my next turn?

I like it.

2 Advantage can be spent to heal 2 strain, the same which can then be suffered next round for a maneuver...so sure, why not, you can spend it for a maneuver next round.

As the odd-looking droid hurled the glop grenade, Cheevil attampted a dodge, but the sticky explosion had a wider radius than he'd anticipated. As the goo congealed around the Chadra Fan, a steam vent erupted directly in front of him and blew some glop into his face, momentarily blinding him.

Cheevil's first series of attacks connected with the droid's plating but only seemed to inflict glancing blows. IT must be made out of something that resists the saber! he though, suddenly alarmed. I thought those were but legends! Making good use of the momentary pause the realisation gave the Chadra-fan, the tiny automaton managed to backtrack to a distance far enough to lob one of those grenades at the former Jedi. He was ready to dodge it, though! But just as he prepared himself to jump, a gust of boiling liquid erupted from the ground at his feet, forcing him to close his eyes and missing his beat with the evasion. The orb erupted in a spray of liquid, covering the Chadra-fan, and immediately starting to thicken and solidify. A glop grenade!

He could not risk it covering his mouth or nose, so he took a sharp breath - scorching air filled his lungs - and threw up his hand in defense. Soothingly despite the grave situation, he felt the Force flow through him, filling him with hope.

Cheevil rolls Coordination to avoid being suffocated by the glop grenade. He is blinded from a steam gust so check is upgraded twice, and 3 setbacks are applied due to environment. He has a boost die from a previous check. Force die added to use Ebb/flow. : 3eA+1eP+1eB+1eD+1eC+3eS+2eF 2 successes, 1 Triumph, 2 Light Side, 1 Dark Side
a--.png a-s-a.png a-s-s.png p-tr.png b-a-a.png d-th.png c-f-th.png s--.png s-f.png s-th.png f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png

//Sorry, ran out of time for now, will finish my turn in a few hours. Activating flow, the two light pips will restore the 2 strain suffered due to the eruption, and Cheevil is currently Blinded until the end of this turn and Ensnared for this and the next two, but not suffocating. There was a Triumph on the coordination check, I guess it would be too much to ask that the steam would ruin the foam from the grenade and "dispel" the Ensnare?//

Edited by Darth Lectus
Spelling
9 hours ago, Darth Lectus said:

//Sorry, ran out of time for now, will finish my turn in a few hours. Activating flow, the two light pips will restore the 2 strain suffered due to the eruption, and Cheevil is currently Blinded until the end of this turn and Ensnared for this and the next two, but not suffocating. There was a Triumph on the coordination check, I guess it would be too much to ask that the steam would ruin the foam from the grenade and "dispel" the Ensnare?//

It's for @awayputurwpn to rule, I think. If breaking the Ensnare with the Triumph is too powerful, maybe you could get an easier Athletics check to break free, or get a free upgrade on that roll due to the steam interfering with the glop.

Just a heads up: I'm about to head to the airport for a couple of intercontinental flights. I may have Internet access at my layover airports, but I may also be incommunicado for 24 hours or so. Sorry!

The Triumph can either remove your Blinded status or the Immobilized status, @Darth Lectus .

(apologies for the delay—weekends are always busy for me!)

Edited by awayputurwpn

//Fantastic, thank you. //

A moment later Cheevil realised that not only did the foam miss his face, but its texture was quickly degrading in the immense heat of the volcanic field. He knew he would be able to make it closer to his foe, if only the Force obeyed his will. It HAS to! ... It did. Just like his previous attack, the tiny creature was flying through the air, twisting his body in mid-air - the twist shook off the remainder of the foam, finally freeing him - and while could still not fully see where the droid was, he just trusted that the Force would guide his glowing blade home.

Second attack: Hawk bat swoop for Force dice, Accurate quality for Boost. Opponent's defense and the environment adds 1+3 setback. Upgraded twice for blindness : 2eA+2eP+2eC+4eS+2eF+1eB 2 threat, 1 Despair, 3 Light Side
a--.png a-s-s.png p-s.png p-a.png c-d.png c-f-th.png s-th.png s-f.png s-th.png s-th.png f-ls-ls.png f-ls.png b-a.png

//Ouch! 1 pip is being used to get me to engaged range again, 2 to give me advantages on the roll, and I also get one from the Curved hilt. Ultimately, the net is fail with Despair and 1 advantage. Hit me with the bad things then I'll see what I want to do with the advantage.//

Sorry, how did Cheevil get two actions in a row? The Coordination check to avoid suffocation is an action, right? Since that Triumph on Coordination pretty much negated my whole first turn, I was at least hoping to get a go before we got back to Engaged again.

Edited by SavageBob

I allow myself to do the explanation (hope there is no problem with me doing so @awayputurwpn )

The Coordination check is a reaction/ out of turn check to the Glop grenades effect (it is the same as if you get poisend you have to do a ressilence check to determin if you suffer damage/ effects from the poisen or just shrug it of)

The check that would have cost him the action would have been the coordination check to get free from the foam, but since the triumph on the "not-suffocate" check allowed him to narrate (the GM approved it) that the foam melted right away, he now is only blinded an free to spen his action...

but don't fear thanks to his blindness he totally missed you and even created a despair so just think on a good payback for the despair that e.g. will give you a prime possition again). There after he may use something for his advantages, and than you are allowed to do some kind of nasty droid-grenade-attack or what ever you want to go for ^^

Edited by Nightone
2 minutes ago, Nightone said:

I allow myself to do the explanation (hope there is no problem with me doing so @awayputurwpn )

The Coordination check is a reaction/ out of turn check to the Glop grenades effect (it is the same as if you get poisend you have to do a ressilence check to determin if you suffer damage/ effects from the poisen or just shrug it of)

The check that would have cost him the action would have been the coordination check to get free from the foam, but since the triumph on the "not-suffocate" check allowed him to narroate that the foam melted right away, he now is only blinded an free to spen his action...

but don't fear thanks to his blindness he totally missed you and even created a Despair so just think on a good payback for the despair. There after he may use something for his advantages, and than you are allowed to do some kind of nasty droid-grenade-attack or what ever you want to go for ^^

The rules for the glop grenade seem to indicate it's like any other skill check (and thus occupies the affected character's action for his next turn): "Whenever a target is hit with a glop grenade, he must make an Easy Coordination check to keep the foam from filling his breathing passages. Failure on the skill check indicates that the foam has cut off the target's air..." A skill check is a skill check, right? I'll wait for a ruling form @awayputurwpn , of course.

1 hour ago, SavageBob said:

The rules for the glop grenade seem to indicate it's like any other skill check (and thus occupies the affected character's action for his next turn): "Whenever a target is hit with a glop grenade, he must make an Easy Coordination check to keep the foam from filling his breathing passages. Failure on the skill check indicates that the foam has cut off the target's air..." A skill check is a skill check, right? I'll wait for a ruling form @awayputurwpn , of course.

//The way I understand," whenever a target is hit" can well happen out of my turn, and the reaction is to avoid the extra, lethal effect. However, had the foam not been ruined by my Triumph, I would have had to break free, which would have been an action in my own turn. //

@SavageBob it's the mechanics of the glop grenade. Risk/reward is high (automatic Ensnare 3 on a hit is powerful, and even though the Coordination check is Easy, failure means suffocation! Two powerful effects on the glop grenade, negated by Cheevil's acrobatic prowess), and I'd daresay you've been rewarded, albeit in a roundabout manner. Darth Lectus put it well, above. He chose Blindness over Immobilizationion, and so that double upgrade is his own making, and he owes failure to hit and a Despair to it.

(Edit: key word is "whenever" in the glop grenade's rules. I'm reading that an out-of-turn deal. There are certain rare mechanics that divorce skill checks from actions, and this seems to be one of them)

TL;DR You've now got a Despair to spend!

Edited by awayputurwpn
1 hour ago, awayputurwpn said:

@SavageBob it's the mechanics of the glop grenade. Risk/reward is high (automatic Ensnare 3 on a hit is powerful, and even though the Coordination check is Easy, failure means suffocation! Two powerful effects on the glop grenade, negated by Cheevil's acrobatic prowess), and I'd daresay you've been rewarded, albeit in a roundabout manner. Darth Lectus put it well, above. He chose Blindness over Immobilizationion, and so that double upgrade is his own making, and he owes failure to hit and a Despair to it.

(Edit: key word is "whenever" in the glop grenade's rules. I'm reading that an out-of-turn deal. There are certain rare mechanics that divorce skill checks from actions, and this seems to be one of them)

TL;DR You've now got a Despair to spend!

//If I may add something, if it were otherwise, there would be around where the target is entirely locked out, being unable to take Maneuvers due to Ensnare and having to fight off the suffocation with an Action, and then a further turn without an action as it would have to be spent on the Athletics check to remove Ensnare (well, optionally, but this would be just too powerful altogether).

@awayputurwpn is the Hunter in play for the Despair result from the setting?

Also, I will just use the advantage for a boost on my next attack, so @SavageBob can go ahead and take his turn without further delay of having to wait for my decision.//

6 minutes ago, Darth Lectus said:

is the Hunter in play for the Despair result from the setting?

Per @Richardbuxton , the Hunter has been removed from this setting. But there are...other... Despair options :)

Hey, guys, I'm jetlagged as all get out and will post my move in a few hours. Sorry for the delay!

Ugh. It's an insomniac kind of jetlag. :(

I think it's probably worth getting an official ruling on the glop grenade and the Coordination check, but I'm cool to roll with it for now. For the Despair, how about Cheevil's lightsaber was actually left stuck in the remnants of the glop goo, which explains the miss. Cheevil will have to disengage to go back and get it next turn, or else attack me bare-handed. So, essentially a disarm, but one where the disarm happened at short range, before the Hawkbat Swoop.

Edited by SavageBob

Sounds good to me! The lightsaber has been dropped and lies at short range.

Cool! So Pango's next move might be kind of unorthodox. Rather than attacking Cheevil, can I lob a grenade at the hardened foam with the lightsaber stuck in it? How would an attack like that resolve?

5 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Cool! So Pango's next move might be kind of unorthodox. Rather than attacking Cheevil, can I lob a grenade at the hardened foam with the lightsaber stuck in it? How would an attack like that resolve?

It depends. What are you attempting to do?

2 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

It depends. What are you attempting to do?

//Making me unable to retrieve the weapon, I imagine.

Uh oh.

Roger, roger.//

@SavageBob did you see my last post? Just checking in!

Hi, sorry! I'm in a country with unreliable Internet access at the moment. (The hotel is supposed to have wifi, but it's not working...) I may be a bit touch-and-go as we finish the bout.

Yeah, Darth Lectus hit it. With his damaged logic centers (due to the Intellect crit), Pango wants to destroy the lightsaber rather than attack Cheevil directly. If the saber is in a pile of hardened foam (or even semi-hardened), that gives a good target for a grenade with blast on it, I'd think. So the roll would be to hit that target, not Cheevil himself. How would that work? And how would damage to the saber be resolved?

Edited by SavageBob