Sorry About The Mess: Arena C

By Richardbuxton, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Destiny : 1eF 1 Dark Side
f-ds.png

Initiative : 2eA 1 success, 2 advantage
a-a-a.png a-s.png

thats a tie for initiative, reroll? Things are not looking good for Arrther, he has big problems coming his way.

10 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

thats a tie for initiative, reroll? Things are not looking good for Arrther, he has big problems coming his way.

Yes both of you reroll, which you already have done

Rerolling initiative:

Cool for Initiative : 1eP+2eA 1 success, 3 advantage
p-a-a.png a-a.png a-s.png

Looks like Arrther gets first go!

In the chaos of the battle Arrther was trying to stay focused, his part in all this was finding the enemy commander who kept destroying up their assets... and people. Cut off the head and hopefully the snake will die. Keeping low he moved with caution towards the enemies position but it was dangerous. Blaster fire ripped through the air, soldiers dying on both sides.

Suddenly Arrther spotted an unexpected complication; There, in the distance, that blasted Droid is back! who knows what chaos it will cause. Well I was trying to head that way anyhow so I guess one more elimination wouldn’t hurt...

With his shield already up Arrther drew his Saber and headed across the battlefield, using trees and low walls for whatever cover from the crossfire he could find.

// simple turn of draw weapon and shield and move, taking 1 of the 4 required manoeuvres to cross long range//

So how many maneuvers for me to get to Medium range? Three?

1 hour ago, SavageBob said:

So how many maneuvers for me to get to Medium range? Three?

You're at the close end of long range, so should just be one maneuver.

But with the environmental rules of this encounter all move manoeuvre requirements are doubled, so in this case yesnit should be 3. This battle could be slow, and I can see Strain being the problem for us both

Another light sword. Even worse, the same light sword that beat him the last time. Pango's vocabulator whined as Guapa the Hutt's voice echoed through his memory core: "You lost, stupid droid! Get ready for a rematch. We've tracked the piddly Human to a war zone. You're going in. Don't lose this time. "

Pango's photoreceptors scanned the battlefield: There was the Human with the light sword, moving carefully forward. He was out of range, and all the trenches everywhere made movement difficult, even with Pango's treads. The droid inched forward, retracting a grenade from his chassis in preparation. He moaned again.

Maneuver to draw a grenade. Moving one maneuver closer (putting us at 2 maneuvers from medium range. (I appreciate these set pieces, but this battlefield sucks!)

Ha, it’s spotted me thought Arrther just as Booom a large crater opened up in the ground not far away, followed closely by the screaming engines of a Tie Bomber blasting overhead. This is one rough fight here take it easy... there’s a ditch up there, I could use that as cover.

Arrther dashed forward leaping through the front garden of a nearby house to a ditch running along side a road. From there he ran along the ditch hoping it would cover him from the crossfire. Quickly he covered a lot of ground and now had a clear view down the slight hill through the nearby farmland. Now right across the road was the Droid, watch that thing!

//Suffering a Strain and giving you a boost to recklessly charge and ignore the difficult movement this round. 1 manoeuvre to get to Medium, a Second to get to Short. //

The demolitionmech's probability subroutines flashed a warning: TARGET WITHIN RANGE. PNG0-LIN knew there wouldn't be another opportunity like this. He locked onto the target, reared his claw arm back, and hurled the armor-piercing grenade across the battlefield.

Flipping a DP and using True Aim. Adding in a boost for Arrthur's recklessness, and a setback for the general chaos of the fray.

p-s.png p-s-s.png p-a-a.png p-tr.png p-s-s.png b--.png b-s.png d-f-th.png s-th.png

forgot setbacks for ranged defense : 2eS 1 failure
s--.png s-f.png

That's 18 base damage before Soak or Reflect. I'll cash that Triumph to use the "unexpected help" environmental result, which means one of the combatants mistakes you for an enemy and hits for 10 more damage (again before Soak or Reflect).

The heat signature and blast acoustics don't lie: Direct hit! But then Pango's sensors detect something else. Blaster fire? Yes, one of the Sullustan soldiers in the fray has shot and hit the Human...

Edited by SavageBob

//3 Strain to Reflect on the grenade, bringing total reduction to 12, so that’s 6 Wounds. No Reflect on the blaster shot so that’s 3 Damage. Total of 9 Wounds and 3 Strain suffered. //

Arrther knew it was a risky move charging forward and sure enough another BOOM went off. Arrther just managed to kick the grenade before it exploded that was close! but he wasn’t quick enough to dodge the stray Blaster shot.

With no time to spare Arrther lept forward again, crossing the road and putting all his effort into bringing his Saber to bear on the demolition Droid.

// manoeuvre to Engage, 2 Strain to Falling Avalanche, Action to strike.

Attack on Pango with Falling Avalanche Saber : 1eA+4eP+2eD+2eS 5 successes, 1 threat
a-s-s.png p-s-s.png p-s-a.png p-s.png p-s-a.png d-th.png d-f-th.png s-f.png s-th.png

Thats 10+5+5=20 Damage and a Threat for you to spend.//

Ouch! Puts me at 14/16 Wounds. I'll take a boost to my next check for the Threat if that's OK. You're at 5/13 Strain, correct?

So, one point of order: In calculating damage from my attack, I forgot to add the +2 damage for Pango having 2 ranks of Point Blank. Arrther should be at 11 of 17 wounds, not 9. Sorry I forgot, but it's crucial that we account for that, since my next move is likely my last chance to pull out a win. Is that OK?

//that’s fair //

Pango felt the laser sword come down on his chassis hard. The cortosis weave Turee had insisted on installing had saved his motors yet again, it seemed—and Guapa had tried to balk at the expense! Nonetheless, the droid had felt the blow. His servomotors groaned under the impact, and damage diagnostics subroutines made the damage quite clear: Pango wouldn't survive another blow like that.

The demolitionmech ran probability algorithms and came up with one attack that just might succeed: a risky two-grenade attack from so close the droid could still feel the Human's breath on his haptic sensors. Retracting two armor-piercing grenades, the droid released the pins. And hoped.

Yowzah. First, flipping my last Destiny Point. Then pulling out two grenades (the extra maneuver costs 2 strain) for a two-weapon attack (raising difficulty by +1). No chance to aim or disengage, so attacking from engaged for another +1 difficulty. Need at least a single Success and 2 Advantage for this to work. This is for all the marbles...

Two-weapons (Ranged [Light]) : 4eP+1eA+1eB+3eD+3eS 3 successes, 1 advantage
p-a-a.png p-s-a.png p-s-s.png p-s-s.png a-a.png b-s.png d-f.png d-f-f.png d-th.png s--.png s-th.png s-th.png

Dang! That's not enough to hit with both grenades. Using Natural Marksman to reroll...

Two-weapons (Ranged [Light]) : 4eP+1eA+1eB+3eD+3eS 3 successes, 1 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-s.png p-s-a.png p-tr.png p-s-s.png a-s.png b-a-a.png d-f.png d-th.png d-f.png s-th.png s-f.png s--.png

Better! I'll use the Triumph to activate the second grenade for full damage, doing 18 apiece (13 base, +2 for Point Blank, +3 Successes). I believe you can soak 7 from each, but then only Reflect one of them? (Crossing fingers this worked.) :) Just in case, I'll use the remaining Advantage to impose an extra setback on you next turn (if you're still up).

Edited by SavageBob

Even with two reflects I can only mitigate 24 of that 36 Damage so Arrther is out of this competition... wow Arrther really can take an enormous amount of damage, but at 18 damage a hit for only a few hundred credits those grenades are awesome.

Congratulations!

It was a total gamble using two of them at close range. Even with Natural Marksman and Point Blank, the chances of getting a success and 2 advantage weren't great! Over all, this was a battlefield that worked against you. We started at Long range (and you're a melee guy), and I had lots of tricks up my sleeves for hammering you with damage (such as the stray blaster bolt that struck you). That said, if you'd rolled slightly better on your first attack, you could have put me out of commission!

Feel free to wrap up with some narrative. If not, I'll post something. Good match!

The droid pressed the two grenades right into the opponent's belly and set them off. The Human managed to redirect one of Pango's claw arms slightly, but he ended up taking the brunt of the explosions anyway. The demolitionmech's facial recognition software noted something on the opponent's face, which triggered the droid's empathy matrix: Severe pain. The Human fell to his knees, and he stopped moving.

That was a win, the droid realized, just as a squad of soldiers scrambled down the road where the bout had mostly taken place. They were Sullustans, just like Pango's master, Turee. The empathy subroutine was joined by another feeling: hope. Maybe this win would convince Guapa the Hutt to let PNG0-LIN see the young Sullustan girl before the next match.

Pango could already detect the auditory signature of Guapa's drones approaching by air. He went into power-save mode. But he left the hope subroutine running.