Imperial Assault Printable Skirmish Map Project

By nickv2002, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

I updated the script to generate PDFs (as noted by @Fightwookies ) and key off the 108 inch limit that @Ragemundo and @wannabepudge discovered (the script now stitches as many maps together in a strip as it can under 108 inches in width). So all the strips have been updated because of these changes. ( @jconway2002 the All Maps group is now updated as you were asking about.)

Everything is available on the GitHub Project Page

Edited by nickv2002
clarified language

Hey guys, first of all: thanks again for all your hard work on these maps! They're very handy.

I'm about to place an order tomorrow, and I just wanted to confirm: the only maps currently missing are: Maul (Coruscant Back Alleys) and Heart of the Empire (30th Floor Plaza and Temple Gardens), correct?

12 hours ago, IndyPendant said:

Hey guys, first of all: thanks again for all your hard work on these maps! They're very handy.

I'm about to place an order tomorrow, and I just wanted to confirm: the only maps currently missing are: Maul (Coruscant Back Alleys) and Heart of the Empire (30th Floor Plaza and Temple Gardens), correct?

You are correct with respect to the 2-player maps. There is also a 4-player map from the HotE box that has not been made into an image yet.

Since there have been a number of recent changes (around the Printi switch), please let us know how your order goes and if there are any difficulties that could be smoothed over.

Thanks!

Okay, some new questions I just ran into:

Once again, I'm (probably) ordering from Bannersonthecheap.com; I'll let everyone know how it goes. However, they just informed me their max printable resolution is 100dpi. The maps I ordered from them before worked fine for game purposes, but just as a precaution I have a few questions related to that:

1) Am I right that that seems to be true of Pixart EU as well? (100dpi max resolution on their banners.)

2) Should I then be using the lower-res images then when uploading? Wouldn't the higher-res images cause possible issues if they have to scale the resolution down?

3) Aren't the pre-made image 'bundle' pdfs created using high-res images? And if so (and if I'm right about 1 and 2 above) why not create them using the low-res images instead?

Again, I'm intending no criticism here. Just...wondering if I'm missing something basic. (Highly likely, since the sum total of my knowledge regarding image manipulation would rattle hollowly in a thimble. ; )

15 hours ago, IndyPendant said:

Once again, I'm (probably) ordering from Bannersonthecheap.com; I'll let everyone know how it goes. However, they just informed me their max printable resolution is 100dpi. The maps I ordered from them before worked fine for game purposes, but just as a precaution I have a few questions related to that:

1) Am I right that that seems to be true of Pixart EU as well? (100dpi max resolution on their banners.)

2) Should I then be using the lower-res images then when uploading? Wouldn't the higher-res images cause possible issues if they have to scale the resolution down?

3) Aren't the pre-made image 'bundle' pdfs created using high-res images? And if so (and if I'm right about 1 and 2 above) why not create them using the low-res images instead?

Again, I'm intending no criticism here. Just...wondering if I'm missing something basic. (Highly likely, since the sum total of my knowledge regarding image manipulation would rattle hollowly in a thimble. ; )

Pixart/Printi in the USA prints at 300 DPI which makes the printouts look close to the tiles (sometimes even better depending on my retouching). I'm pretty sure that Pixart EU did the same 300 DPI. At 100 DPI you're sacrificing a lot of detail but things should still be playable.

You could use the lower resolution images for 100 DPI prints. These smaller images are half scale so effectively 150 DPI.

The pre made PDFs are made with the 300 DPI versions and are expected to be printed at 300 DPI (which is a common printing DPI value).

Edited by nickv2002

@nickv2002 or anyone else who has printed from printi.com, what material did you select?

The options are:

• Outdoor PVC, 16oz
  • Backlit, 13oz
  • Mesh, 9oz
Edited by leacher
27 minutes ago, leacher said:

@nickv2002 or anyone else who has printed from printi.com, what material did you select?

The options are:

• Outdoor PVC, 16oz
  • Backlit, 13oz
  • Mesh, 9oz

Read.me says PVC. I think they may have added ‘outdoor’ for marketing purposes. Anyway, that’s the one you want.

Outdoor pvc is the American option. Back in the day when you could order on the Italian site from America it was a different (better in my opinion) pvc.

Any updates on the new four player map?

Hey guys, someone can help me? If I want the dimensions em inches, I have to divide the size by 300?
Like, Jabba's palace is 4800x7200 in jpg right? Just divide both by 300 that I have the measure in inches? And many of them have 7200 as the second measure, is that right?

Thanks in advance

45 minutes ago, Mantis731 said:

Hey guys, someone can help me? If I want the dimensions em inches, I have to divide the size by 300?
Like, Jabba's palace is 4800x7200 in jpg right? Just divide both by 300 that I have the measure in inches? And many of them have 7200 as the second measure, is that right?

Thanks in advance

yup. divide it by 300. 4800x7200=16 in x 24 in

24 is the base height for all the maps

I've updated the project with a spelling correction for Ahsoka on the Uscru Entertainment District map that rotated in to tournament play (thanks @a1bert ). I also updated the strip of 3 in-rotation tournament maps to use this new map. See these updates on the main project page .

42-halfres.jpg?raw=true

PS: as far as the project goes: no updates on new maps. I took a new job in January that's kept me busy. :( The B-Side tiles from HotE have been scanned but need to be edited to remove the puzzle pieces before we can build the remaining maps. If you're interested in helping please get in touch via PM.

Edited by nickv2002

What are the changes respect the other ahsoka map? Thanks for your dedication

5 hours ago, Oslatir said:

What are the changes respect the other ahsoka map? Thanks for your dedication

Ahsoka was spelled wrong. Nothing major, but now I have to deal with my Ahsoa Tano map (I think she's a close cousin of Ahsoka).

Should've "corrected" Ahsoka's spelling to Ahsucka. :P

So, I keep looking over the 4-player maps and the printing instructions, and I just re-read this thread carefully. Can someone tell me more specifically how to get those printed at printi.com?

Also, my LGS crew ran the 4-player HOTE map last night on the team mission side and had a blast. It probably favors rebels a bit -- early round mobility is worth a lot of points!

On 5/18/2018 at 1:03 PM, GottaBadFeelingAboutThis said:

So, I keep looking over the 4-player maps and the printing instructions, and I just re-read this thread carefully. Can someone tell me more specifically how to get those printed at printi.com?

Since the 4-player maps are of greatly varying size I don't have a pre-created PDF of all of them. You can download the 300 DPI JPGs and combine them as you like to create a PDF to submit to Printi or use the code provided on the website if you have some familiarity with Python. (If anyone an assembled image already let @GottaBadFeelingAboutThis know.) BTW: To get the size in inches you divide the pixel dimensions of the 300 DPI image by 300.

A few bits of relevant info:

1. Printi has sale for Memorial Day: 20% off site wide until Wednesday, May 30th (ending at an unspecified time) with coupon code MEMORIALDAY20
  2. No progress on the HotE tiles yet because I've been busy: I'll again solicit help for image editing work finishing up the last of the HotE tiles as well as future expansion tiles. I hope to have a bock of staycation time in July to do some more work on the project.

Have a great holiday US-based folks and I hope everyone gets a chance to see Solo ! ?

Edited by nickv2002

Thanks to lots of help editing the HotE B-Side tiles from @lorunks I've updated the map project with 2 new skirmish maps today! We've got the 30th Floor Plaza from the expansion box and Coruscant Back Alleys from Maul's pack. Enjoy their trash-littered & neon-lit beauty:

41-halfres.jpg 43-halfres.jpg

I've also updated the GitHub project page with more links and details including an updated HotE strip with all 4 skirmish maps . As always, let me know if there are any errors.

Because I know folks will ask: the 4-player HotE map and the upcoming Lothal map are both is in-the-works. @lorunks has been diligently working on getting the map tiles ready for both of those. I plan to work on them more soon. And @leacher is already planning to scan the Lothal tiles for us, as he did for HotE too.

Finally, if you have image-editing skills and want to help out please get in touch. ? Thanks!

Because I know folks will ask: the 4-player HotE map and the upcoming Lothal map are both is in-the-works. @lorunks has been diligently working on getting the map tiles ready for both of those. I plan to work on them more soon. And @leacher is already planning to scan the Lothal tiles for us, as he did for HotE too.

Yes! Thank you.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, nickv2002 said:

Definitely don’t wanna sound ungrateful for the large work that’s put into this, but... any idea when the Lothal Wastes map is due?

9 hours ago, Doowa said:

Definitely don’t wanna sound ungrateful for the large work that’s put into this, but... any idea when the Lothal Wastes map is due?

I don't have my own copy of Lothal yet (waiting for a friend to paint it). I was hoping @leacher would be able to scan the tiles as he generously did last time, but I haven't heard from him recently.

If anyone else has access to a flatbed scanner they could help out by scanning the Lothal map tiles at 600 DPI. The catch is that it cuts down a lot of work if the tiles are scanned before they're punched out of the cardboard (then you can use the corner of the flatbed scanner to keep them at a constant & straight angle and avoid having to rotate them later, plus the bleed helps the later retouching).

If you can help out please pm me. I can give you a place to upload the scans. Thanks.

I haven't punched out my components yet, and can leave them unpunched for a while. I've only got a home scanner though (Pixma MG5721 all-in-one kinda thing), which probably isn't enough for this. I also know pretty much less than nothing about how to get this done properly, so would need a bit of hand-holding through the process. : ) Is this something I could get done at a Staples store or something, for a reasonable price?

On 8/29/2018 at 2:40 PM, IndyPendant said:

I haven't punched out my components yet, and can leave them unpunched for a while. I've only got a home scanner though (Pixma MG5721 all-in-one kinda thing), which probably isn't enough for this. I also know pretty much less than nothing about how to get this done properly, so would need a bit of hand-holding through the process. : ) Is this something I could get done at a Staples store or something, for a reasonable price?

I can scan them once I get my copy but to get the ball rolling I could use scans from someone else.
@IndyPendant If you can fit the cardboard sheet fully on the scanner bed it could work. You could just send me a sample that I could compare to the existing scans from the core set. I'll pm you a place to upload if you have time to try it. Thanks.

I heard back from @leacher he's waiting for his copy and will scan and upload once it arrives. Yay! Thanks all.

Update for November 2018: tiles are scanned but maps still need to be built. Probably won't happen until winter break in December.

Edited by nickv2002
November update