The definitive Haarlock's Legacy speculation [AND SPOILER!] thread

By The Laughing God, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Indeed, he missed a spot!

In several Haarlock adventures it is suggested to make on of the acolytes a Haarlock descendant ....

i know lol but that defeats haarlocks goals before they began, if he wiped out his entire family tree that means there are none left no descendants no nothing he would have to take out like 5 or more families to take out any loose or weak bloodlines that were made inside of the haarlock line. therefore haarlock is defeated before he begins even though his traps are intended to take out any loose ties no matter what there will be more.

ThenDoctor said:

i know lol but that defeats haarlocks goals before they began, if he wiped out his entire family tree that means there are none left no descendants no nothing he would have to take out like 5 or more families to take out any loose or weak bloodlines that were made inside of the haarlock line. therefore haarlock is defeated before he begins even though his traps are intended to take out any loose ties no matter what there will be more.

The point is that Haarlock can never be sure whether he got them all ... there are a lot of unknown family branches and descendants and no matter how diluted the blood, Haarlocks still wants to make sure - with his traps and antics - that present-day long-distance relatives are also eliminated.

Indeed, eliminating the bloodline is for vengeance purposes, I assume. Though it's possible that the Tyrant Star is just Haarlock's way of making sure he got them all...

Xisor said:

Indeed, eliminating the bloodline is for vengeance purposes, I assume. Though it's possible that the Tyrant Star is just Haarlock's way of making sure he got them all...

Could be ... perhaps that's what governs the unpredictable appearances of the Tyrant Star: the presence of the Haarlock blood on the world visited by the Star....

then the question would be what does the star do to a person of Haarlock blood as compared to a normal person?

ThenDoctor said:

then the question would be what does the star do to a person of Haarlock blood as compared to a normal person?

Perhaps nothing? Or rather, perhaps the same exact thing it does to everyone else in the vicinity ... drive them stark raving mad. More chance of getting themselves killed that way.

Alternately, perhaps it mutates them in some obvious and "chaos-y" way, so that if they don't die in the star-inspired chaos, then they surely will when the Inquisition's clean-up crews arrive.

It does seem to be a lot of overkill ... sending a cursed star to wreak havoc on a planet only because someone on it has bloodties to the Haarlock lineage.

Also: who steers the Tyrant star, or does he home in on Haarlock blood like a dog on the scent of a roast?

Whole thing seems unlikely.

The Laughing God said:

It does seem to be a lot of overkill ... sending a cursed star to wreak havoc on a planet only because someone on it has bloodties to the Haarlock lineage.

Also: who steers the Tyrant star, or does he home in on Haarlock blood like a dog on the scent of a roast?

True. But it does fit right in with the whole WH40K "over-the-top" mythos. And we are assuming that after years?/decades?/centuries? of playing around with the time-stream (not to mention a cursed star), that Haarlock is totally insane ... or at least that he's become something so freaky that he simply doesn't think like a human being anymore.

The Laughing God said:

I think Erasmus is down with the over-kill. After all, he set up a crazy over-the-top death-trap in Solomon's Tomb to kill as many what-evers as he could in a crazy xenos feast/volcano eruption just in the off chance he'd be able to kill of anyone who had the misfortune to have had a great-grandmother who was a bit promiscuous and had a fling with a bastard child of the Haarlock line. He also virus-bombed an entire space station slaughtering all aboard just to kill his half-sister. Ya, he's down with the over-kill. So what's a planet or three if it means killing the father of Mathias before the sorcerer could even be born to threaten his wife and daughter?

Graver said:

I think Erasmus is down with the over-kill. After all, he set up a crazy over-the-top death-trap in Solomon's Tomb to kill as many what-evers as he could in a crazy xenos feast/volcano eruption just in the off chance he'd be able to kill of anyone who had the misfortune to have had a great-grandmother who was a bit promiscuous and had a fling with a bastard child of the Haarlock line. He also virus-bombed an entire space station slaughtering all aboard just to kill his half-sister. Ya, he's down with the over-kill. So what's a planet or three if it means killing the father of Mathias before the sorcerer could even be born to threaten his wife and daughter?

See?!? lengua.gif

I'm not just a lunatic conspiracy-theorist! He is out there! And he's PISSED!!! gran_risa.gif

"Let's do the time-warp, again!"

Err, pardon, I digress.

-Cynr

Graver said:

So what's a planet or three if it means killing the father of Mathias before the sorcerer could even be born to threaten his wife and daughter?

who's Mathias?

ThenDoctor said:

Graver said:

So what's a planet or three if it means killing the father of Mathias before the sorcerer could even be born to threaten his wife and daughter?

who's Mathias?

The Haarlock who slew Erasmus' wife and daughter with the help of fiends from the warp after luring Erasmus into a trap during the bloody succession conflict that arose when Albrach Haarlock died without naming a successor for the Warrant.

Graver said:

The Haarlock who slew Erasmus' wife and daughter with the help of fiends from the warp after luring Erasmus into a trap during the bloody succession conflict that arose when Albrach Haarlock died without naming a successor for the Warrant.

where did you get all that from?

The Laughing God said:

Graver said:

where did you get all that from?

DotDG, pg 230

finally that mystery is solved...at least we know why hes going for warp controled answer he knows it well

I read up a little in DotDG and found a lot of references to 'pale shapes', slithering over towers or moving across the streets of Sinophia Magna prior to the arrival of the Tyrant Star, in that first chapter on the Hereticus Tenebrae. I suddenly thought that perhaps these pale things are what humans are turned into when Komus visits .... perhaps turned into the Children of the Kingdom?

Possibly, TLG, possibly.

Regarding 'directing the Tyrant Star', I think that's a case of "It doesn't work like that".

Consider if someone in a Dark Pact invokes the aid of a daemon (or whatever), the desperate last-minute gamble involved pretty much gives the warp entity free reign in 'fulfilling its side of the bargain'.

As folks have mentioned, Erasmus Haarlock (when in vengeance mode) doesn't seem like an 'out of bounds' sort of guy. Turning a daemon-sun against entire planets on the groovy off-chance seems almost logical.

Of course, then you have the Clockwork connection, the 13 and so forth. How many manifestations of Komus have there been properly documented in recent times? Perhaps it only has '13 goes' per invocation? It may have been used in the past (hence why Eldar regard the area as cursed etc) and could very easily (in writing terms) be a bit of some sort of corrupted mad bio-warp-psy-stellar weaponry turned against the C'tan during the War In Heaven...

(If you imagine the Talismans of Vaul. We never really heard what actually was left in the aftermath of Fularis II and Tarantis...)

Xisor said:

of course, then you have the Clockwork connection, the 13 and so forth. How many manifestations of Komus have there been properly documented in recent times? Perhaps it only has '13 goes' per invocation? It may have been used in the past (hence why Eldar regard the area as cursed etc) and could very easily (in writing terms) be a bit of some sort of corrupted mad bio-warp-psy-stellar weaponry turned against the C'tan during the War In Heaven...

I like that thought!

yeah, but from what i can tell the Eldar tend to own up to such events and blame it on the fall. so why wouldn't they own up to this?

They don't really 'own up' to the Blackstone Fortresses though, do they? Plus we've not resolved the Eldar's 'involvement' in the Koronus Expanse or Jericho reach, I suppose.

As I say, I'm confident that Komus is the 'result' and not the cause, some sort of pseudo-daemon techno thing. As an aside, I might have to take another gander at 'The Phaeonites' in "The Radical's Handbook" again, but since they're introduced in Dark Heresy, I wouldn't be surprised if they became the ones who actually 'figure out' Komus...

Similarly, I'd not be surprised if the Ocularians have a finger in the pie too.

Ask about: Phaeonites and Ocularians in relation to the Tyrant Star and the Haarlock mystery.

heck you might as well ask about the Ordos Chronos in relation to these two guys if Haarlock was after time manipulation and Komus is out of time im sure they have something to do with it as well.

ThenDoctor said:

heck you might as well ask about the Ordos Chronos in relation to these two guys if Haarlock was after time manipulation and Komus is out of time im sure they have something to do with it as well.

That has been shortly discussed higher up in this thread.