Darthain's adventures in not space ships

By Darthain, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Just now, Darthain said:

It went great, but I'm biased. Never did get a great picture of it though.

To do it, I found a line art thing I liked. Then I cut it out with a hobby knife and loosely traced it with an art pen/marker on the ISD. (Stencils don't work on uneven surfaces, maybe if I had an airbrush?). Then I proceeded to just paint in, in my darkest tone, adjust lines as required to look 'right'. Then highlight it up. Surprisingly simple to be honest, just a steady hand and a bit of touch up from either side.

So i was thinking in my head “huh, seems easy”then i saw ‘steady hand’

Just now, Jabby said:

So i was thinking in my head “huh, seems easy”then i saw ‘steady hand’

You can always touch up the adjacent base colours. Some days I am real jittery but I'm also stubborn and keep Painting.

Here's the thing, every time I paint something where I push myself step 1 is procrastinate, because it will be hard. Step 2 is to just start, and be afraid. Step 3 is keep moving forward until you rock it. Generally speaking it is more stubborn persistence than skill, and every now and then it helps to know when to quit, like that lightning.

The big differences in quality, imo, come from time alone. The more time you put in, the better the results.

Just now, Darthain said:

You can always touch up the adjacent base colours. Some days I am real jittery but I'm also stubborn and keep Painting.

Here's the thing, every time I paint something where I push myself step 1 is procrastinate, because it will be hard. Step 2 is to just start, and be afraid. Step 3 is keep moving forward until you rock it. Generally speaking it is more stubborn persistence than skill, and every now and then it helps to know when to quit, like that lightning.

The big differences in quality, imo, come from time alone. The more time you put in, the better the results.

Do you have any beginner tips? I’m going to get legion when it drops probably and its gonna be my first foray into miniatures, what paints and brushes should I get?

Also, do you do commissions? How much?

4 hours ago, Jabby said:

Do you have any beginner tips? I’m going to get legion when it drops probably and its gonna be my first foray into miniatures, what paints and brushes should I get?

Get paint on figures, if it comes out really bad, acrylics are easy to strip. I only started last August myself.

Paints are a bit personal, they will respond better depending on your workflow. Personally not a fan of citadel, like Vallejo model colour, love p3. P3 works really well for the 2 brush blending I do.

Brushes, some people say don't go deep when starting, but getting a real brush (Raphael 8404) instead of that crap army painter hocks was an amazing step forward for me. For the 12CAD ish you can get those from Jackson (size 0 is plenty small enough for anything) I'd say start there with some master's brush soap and learn to take care of it, it'll give a good 6 months heavy use if you do.

4 hours ago, Jabby said:

Also, do you do commissions? How much?

I don't do commission work, sorry.

22 hours ago, Darthain said:

B ushes, some people say don't go deep when starting, but getting a real brush (Raphael 8404) instead of that crap army painter hocks was an amazing step forward for me. For the 12CAD ish you can get those from Jackson (size 0 is plenty small enough for anything) I'd say start there with some master's brush soap and learn to take care of it, it'll give a good 6 months heavy use if you do.

@Jabby
^this. I found sythetic brushes lose their tip fast or start bending into an L shape at the tip. It happens so quick you're gonna spend more money on synthetic brushes than you would on a basic Kolinsky Sable (I use german, DaVinci brand, fairly cheap at usually <5 € for size 2).

Use synthetics for mixing paints, drybrushing and washes.

Never dip your good brush in paint more than halfway down it's hair length.

Edited by Polda
13 hours ago, Polda said:

^this. I found sythetic brushes lose their tip fast or start bending into an L shape at the tip. It happens so quick you're gonna spend more money on synthetic brushes than you wood a basic Kolinsky Sable.

Use synthetic for mixing paints and drybrushing and washes.

Never dip your good brush more than halfway down it's hair lenght.

Yeah synthetic brushes and me do not get along at all. They are for mixing paint and dry brush sacrifice.

If working on detailed work touch your hands together so they are stabilized against each other. Then if you are moving, they move together and keep a relatively stable platform. (my only tip)

47 minutes ago, Aetheriac said:

If working on detailed work touch your hands together so they are stabilized against each other. Then if you are moving, they move together and keep a relatively stable platform. (my only tip)

That makes sense. So like hold the mini with one hand and the brush in the other and touch the wrist together?

Edited by Jabby
13 hours ago, Jabby said:

That makes sense. So like hold the mini with one hand and the brush in the other and touch the wrist together?

Yes, or I will rest my wrists or upper arms on the table, too. In my case, the wrists are on the table while my left thumb, index, and middle fingers hold the mini and my left ring and pinky fingers touch against the pinky and ecxternal palm of my right hand.

Edited by Budgernaut

And we're done with Maegan. The lightning wouldn't go so here we are, all based up.

6HH3q56.jpg

gRnTgm8.jpg

298Tr2e.jpg

x6E7VTl.jpg

eqv93s5.jpg

Wow, great job man! As I said before, the moose highlighting is very pretty and so is the work on Megan.
The base is awesome. Can't wait for more elves.

41 minutes ago, Polda said:

Wow, great job man! As I said before, the moose highlighting is very pretty and so is the work on Megan.
The base is awesome. Can't wait for more elves.

Thanks, the only gripe I have with Maegan is the face sculpt, the cheeks are way too high and pronounced, paired with the antler crown, a very pinched look.

This one was a lot of fun. More elves next year, still have 2 commands, 4 leonx, 3 scions (back of the line, really didn't enjoy painting it, or using it in my army) and I guess 8 archers left.

Painting a golem now, end the year in something more fun than rank and file.

Edited by Darthain

And we're sort of back in business again. Started this guy before Christmas... slacking.

tV1gcx6.jpg

k9tNojx.jpg

IYegr7b.jpg

I may have asked you already but will you be getting legion? To paint if nothing else?

7 hours ago, Jabby said:

I may have asked you already but will you be getting legion? To paint if nothing else?

Sorry, I will not be. I generally don't buy games to paint.