Polda's Painting - Shrubberies & Skellingtons

By Polda, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

Those horns are such a good addition, just what the model needed. Gorgeous paint jobs too, the mouth claws on that front Thresher look terrifying!

1 minute ago, Hepitude said:

Those horns are such a good addition, just what the model needed. Gorgeous paint jobs too, the mouth claws on that front Thresher look terrifying!

If only we had a word for mouth claws.

Maws?

27 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Im going to call them Handibles .....hand.... mandibles.... i will see my self out....

Trimming down Ravos

5p8rqqt.jpg

4 hours ago, Polda said:

Trimming down Ravos

5p8rqqt.jpg

Awesome! I was planning to do something similar with my second Ravos. What tools did you use to do that?

1 hour ago, Budgernaut said:

Awesome! I was planning to do something similar with my second Ravos. What tools did you use to do that?

A hobby knife and band-aids.

5 hours ago, Polda said:

I see. Well, I have both of those already, so I suppose there's nothing to stop me now!

10 hours ago, Polda said:

Been there too many times. Reminds me of the time I stabbed myself with pinning wire.. turns out despite instant pull out it went 1/4" in. Modelling is dangerous.

Before I settle in a new place and start building some funky terrain pieces, here's a bunch of stuff in action

llgOWDe.jpg

AYk2QFr.jpg

wYwPOco.jpg

C24Onbw.jpg

u4G7qEQ.jpg

l3Sz2qN.jpg

H0BXTJL.jpg

ZPaxuXE.jpg

hremKBo.jpg

VJ5aTbm.jpg

rHwbR8B.jpg

zifDcnE.jpg

Nmwc2Qx.jpg

GhEVHxH.jpg

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Darthain said:

Chelistome from the word chela, meaning pincer, and stoma, meaning mouth.

"Those chelistomes look horrifying!"

(The "ch" is pronounced hard, like a "k.")

I love the cork brick work.

18 hours ago, Polda said:

Before I settle in a new place and start building some funky terrain pieces, here's a bunch of stuff in action

llgOWDe.jpg

AYk2QFr.jpg

wYwPOco.jpg

C24Onbw.jpg

u4G7qEQ.jpg

l3Sz2qN.jpg

H0BXTJL.jpg

ZPaxuXE.jpg

hremKBo.jpg

VJ5aTbm.jpg

rHwbR8B.jpg

zifDcnE.jpg

Nmwc2Qx.jpg

GhEVHxH.jpg

Did you win?

9 hours ago, Jabby said:

Did you win?

Yeah but they were my opponents first 200 point games and we only played a few 125 pts together before.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In other news: MOAR COLORS! I am aiming for a mix of Uthuk with red, purple, green and blue spikes and weapons.

0cetQI2.jpg

eyRKwXs.jpg

Edited by Polda

C'mon FFG, some release dates would be nice...

I could use some Wraiths models to paint. ?

Edited by Polda

THEY'RE HERE!

37845889_517529988704094_172240493650903

Absolutely stunning! Great work as always!

As an aside, it looks like they are surfing into battle on Rice Krispies Treats, which made me laugh and made me hungry at the same time!

Quick write up of the paints used for the Waiqar Wraiths.

I knew I wanted to do something fairly simple whilst keeping the ghostly effect intact. I did not want them to look corporeal. Looking into some reference (Return of the King) pics, I decided on muted, light green with yellow-ish highlights.

I did not take pictures of the prep, priming and base coating process.

Important notes:

ctmh-colorwheel.jpg

Step 1: Prep and priming -> all the sanding, gluing and priming goes here.

Step 2: Base coat (airbrushed) of 1:1 Vallejo Goblin Green and Vallejo Pale Flesh. This basically gave me something like Citadel Nurgling Green.

Then paint the hands, face, ribs and sternum with 1:1 Kislev Flesh and Celestra Gray.

Step 3: Wash everything with Citadel Nihilakh Oxide.

Be careful not to apply this too heavily. NO has a tendency to dry thick if you over-apply it and if it does the thicker layer will form cracks.

The aim is for the recessed areas to still be pretty bright.

Step 4: Mix some Nurgling Green, water and a drop of Vallejo Glaze Medium (or Lahmian Medium, Vallejo dropper bottle is just easier to use) to make a glaze.

Highlight all the upturned cloth areas with this.

GuaTtb4.jpg

Step 5: Make a glaze out of Citadel Ogryn Camo. Use that to highlight topmost parts of the cloth you previously highlighted. NJ65zQA.jpg

Step 6: Add a dot of Citadel Yriel Yellow to the Ogryn Camo glaze, more glaze medium and glaze this yellow-ish mix on end of the ribbons, inside the curves of the flowing cloth etc.

I did this a bit randomly, but still maintaining a focus on the top parts (the blindfold thing, that one ribbon going over the shoulder and top of the shall-we-call-it skirt)

hSGziqr.jpg

Now this looks pretty dull right? Green, yellow. Could have just painted the whole thing Moot Green and drybrushed with celestra gray... Let's add some interest.

Step 7: Mix Ggryn Camo with Genestealer purple, about 1:2 and add Glaze Medium.

Now pick some downturned areas,or sides of the ribbons, curves in the cloth or flat areas neighbouring your brightest spots (where you applied Ogryn + Yriel yellow.

Use the purple glaze to fill those areas in. Since we are not going to have a lot of light and dark contracts on these g-g-g-g-ghost we can use color contrast to add interest instead.

After the first pass, mix just Citadel Genestealer purple and glaze medium and give the model another pass with the purple glaze.

Look for areas where it still looks dull and add keep adding the purple in very thin layers.

N5dAJSG.jpg

Step 8: Take your base coat for the body parts (1:1 Celestra Gray and Kislev Flesh) and highlight the muscles, bones and face with it.
Then add some white to the mix, and highlight smaller parts of the previously highlighted areas and also the teeth.

HvhRrib.jpg

Step 9: Paint your wraith a friend and base them both:

RiXDcZo.jpg

Now go paint some Wraiths. Wraiths are cool.

Edited by Polda

I'm a fan. My first two Wraith figures are probably going to look distinctly corporeal, so I may give since of these different techniques a try. Thanks for linking the article.

F7LKglm.jpg

lpaqQwR.jpg

hGWFO0n.jpg

WIP Kethra. I need to highlight her and the ripper at some point but this is ready to play.

jb7yjHv.jpg

Edited by Polda

46184778_2137516543244582_58874823843699

6 hours ago, Polda said:

Love this!

On 4/20/2017 at 3:03 PM, Polda said:

Started messing around with reanimates in Photoshop. I like the last one the best, so that's what I am going for.

Ooh that's a good tip- photoshopping colour ideas to see what might work first- actually hadn't thought of that even though I have Photoshop, doh moment! I'd not put Photoshop and mini painting together as a technique but it makes so much sense, especially for later layers so you try ideas for them out before a time-costly mistake.

Also good if you want different custom armies of certain factions- a good way to try out their specific 'military colour' schemes and decide on their unique look.