Cities in Ruin expansion announced!!

By KBlumhardt, in General Discussion

Glad to hear I'm not only one slowly going insane with no news/updates on the horizon. ;)

It's kind of annoying that only the status has been updated. I'd really like to know what types of cards we'll be getting.

Devastations, in particular. I take it they get a completely new deck. Wonder what that will be like. And if we'll get Assets that work there. Maybe a task that let's you add stuff if you encounter on a devastated area.

A would like more Promise of Power even though that train has already left the station :D

For some reason I really like that card.

Well, they updated the status today...to tell us absolutely nothing.

Trolling? Or the Crawling Chaos? Would he be any good at trolling?

7 hours ago, Matt620 said:

Trolling? Or the Crawling Chaos? Would he be any good at trolling?

"Trolling" is a pretty good summary of the methods that Crawling Chaos uses.

And if I calculated correctly this expansion is the new record holder in long time between first and second article of news about it.

6 minutes ago, StLemon said:

And if I calculated correctly this expansion is the new record holder in long time between first and second article of news about it.

(Checks the spreadsheet.) Correct, we have a new record.

8 hours ago, tsuma534 said:

(Checks the spreadsheet.) Correct, we have a new record.

Yay?

This is not a record I think any of us are happy with.

Agreed - I guess we'll have to go back to thinking about what the next expansion will be after Cities in Ruin:)

33 minutes ago, Krysmo said:

Agreed - I guess we'll have to go back to thinking about what the next expansion will be after Cities in Ruin:)

This time it must be Arkham .

It's "On the Boat"!

At least we're finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel now...

Banks is totally awesome! I'm going to predict he starts in Bombay (where George starts). I love that he does stuff with services, those can be much more useful if they weren't taken immediately. He'd pair well with my main woman Marie. Crazy ship fic starts...now!

I kinda thought services would be where Bob is at. Maybe he'll be the 4 Influence guy and do something with items or trinkets. Still wanna see him though.

Maybe I'm confused, but I think there is a question to clarify: If Banks uses his power to spawn a clue, is that during anyone's turn (as another investigator may take a service), or is that only on Banks's part of the round.

Edited by Matt620
24 minutes ago, Matt620 said:

Maybe I'm confused, but I think there is a question to clarify: If Banks uses his power to spawn a clue, is that during anyone's turn (as another investigator may take a service), or is that only on Banks's part of the round.

As written, it would be at any time during the Action Phase, so you could spawn the clue or discard the card during anyone's turn.

I'm trying to remember, but is the Fall of Man prelude the first prelude that's all downside with no upside?

That was one of the most modest previews so far. We still have basically no info about the expansion except that there will be Shudde M’ell, Disasters and new investigators. It almost looks like the expansion has nothing else to offer. I would be happy to see one Asset, Spell, or a Condition to got me excited. Or maybe just one Mythos. One Artifact? Or at least an Encounter card for a devastated space.
Nope, nothing.

After waiting that long for a preview I'm disappointed. Oh, there will be some preludes that dispense Disasters? How surprising, I would never expect that!

Edit:

In our next preview of Eldritch Horror: Cities in Ruin, we’ll take a closer look at what the investigators can salvage from ruined cities, and we’ll learn more about the ancient horrors soon to awaken..

Ok, I'll wait.

Edited by tsuma534

Well, we have a new lose condition again, Defeat by Devastation

"If all nine cities are devastated by the chthonian monstrosity, then the game is over"

This is the content of Cities in Ruins taken from the website of the German FFG distributor Heidelberger Spieleverlag/Asmodee:

• 1 Rule Sheet
  • 4 Investigator Sheets and matching Tokens
  • 1 Ancient One Sheet
  • 6 Mystery Cards
  • 76 Encounter Cards
  • 24 Mythos Cards
  • 16 Disaster Cards 4 Prelude Cards
  • 16 Asset Cards
  • 20 Condition Cards
  • 12 Spell Cards
  • 24 Unique Asset Cards
  • 10 Monster Tokens
  • 8 Devastation Tokens
  • 14 Tokens for Health and Sanity
  • 8 Mythos Tokens
  • 4 Plastic Stands
Edited by GBI

I wonder what the "Mythos" tokens are for. Maybe it's something that exists and I just use a different name. Could anyone clarify?

According to the Preludes we've seen, we're probably getting more "Talents" in the conditions, which is nice.

With the way the new AO seems to work, I'm guessing the Mythos Tokens are actually Eldritch Tokens. But we'll see soon!

42 minutes ago, Krysmo said:

With the way the new AO seems to work, I'm guessing the Mythos Tokens are actually Eldritch Tokens. But we'll see soon!

They call them "Eldritch Tokens" on the cards, like the Prelude previews we've seen already. I'm not sure that's right.

But yes, we will see soon enough.

8 hours ago, Matt620 said:

I wonder what the "Mythos" tokens are for. Maybe it's something that exists and I just use a different name. Could anyone clarify?

6 hours ago, Krysmo said:

5 hours ago, Matt620 said:

They call them "Eldritch Tokens" on the cards, like the Prelude previews we've seen already. I'm not sure that's right.

While many cards use Eldritch tokens no previous expansion contained additional Eldritch tokens beyond those we got in the core game. I doubt we need to get 8 Eldritch Tokens now.

Edit: I have verified that the 8 "Mythosmarker" are indeed 8 Eldritch tokens.
So after 6 expansions FFG decided that 20 Eldritch tokens might not always be enough.
I think we may get some other components that use those. Assets, Spells, Artifacts and Conditions. So far, none of those used Eldritch tokens, there's a lot of design space here.

Edited by tsuma534
11 hours ago, GBI said:
  • 1 Rule Sheet
  • 4 Investigator Sheets and matching Tokens
  • 1 Ancient One Sheet
  • 6 Mystery Cards
  • 76 Encounter Cards
  • 24 Mythos Cards
  • 16 Disaster Cards 4 Prelude Cards
  • 16 Asset Cards
  • 20 Condition Cards
  • 12 Spell Cards
  • 24 Unique Asset Cards
  • 10 Monster Tokens
  • 8 Devastation Tokens
  • 14 Tokens for Health and Sanity
  • 8 Mythos Tokens
  • 4 Plastic Stands

There are also 4 Artifact cards included (missing on your list).

I was wrong, that answers that. Thanks for telling us. I'm guessing some of those new Assets are going to be services, just so Roland's got more stuff to use his ability with.

the Preludes require eldritch tokens to be put on the game board, as well as Shuddle M'ell himself, so they've included them probably because people won't have every one from the core, and with 2 mythos, an eldritch token requiring mystery, and a Shuddle Prelude might leave you without any.