Community Rules Reference Guide (CRRG)

By Sadgit, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

22 hours ago, Moxel said:

Amazing, fantastic job you have done. Another feedback:

On Page 10, conditions can be inflicted:

if at least 1 damage is delt. Add: " after rolling defense dice."

I think it's important to note that you only can inflict a condition if your attack delt at least 1 damage before you spend surges. So even if your attack deal one damage after you spend surges then you wouldn't be able to inflict a condition because it has to be after step 2 of the attack even though you spend the required surge to inflict the condition during step 4.

2 hours ago, Zaltyre said:

Respectfully, I disagree. There is no such distinction between damage results present before or after surges. During step 2 the roll is made and there are a number of range, surge, damage, and shield results, and the surges are spent to alter those results. Damage isn't dealt (the prerequisite for inflicting a condition) until step 5, and it is at this point the condition will be applied (or not).

The "after rolling defense dice" in this case is not a timing trigger (admittedly, that isn't obvious) but is merely a reminder of how dealing damage works (hearts minus shields, not just hearts). It's one of the numerous examples where additional text intended as a help ends up clouding the meaning.

Most issues on combat were solved when your playgroup accept the combat is divided phases and follow their related steps one by one. I had myself problems with surges and such, but when I realized surges do not happen at the same time, things became much more clear. It has been already FAQ'ed before.

Zaltyre perfectly stated how the combat is developed. In the example of condition dealing, if you have enough surges to add "+dmg" and to deal a specific condition, you can fulfill the 1 dmg requirement with one surge first, and then deal the desired condition with another surge.

Dommus, I appreciate your support, but I'd like to clarify- you can spend a surge on "poison" even if it is the only surge and the roll is 1 damage vs 10 shields. However, when you get to step 5 no damage is dealt, so the target simply does not receive a poison card.

To restate my position: the attack and defense rolls have nothing to do with whether a surge can be spent on a condition. They only affect whether the defender will suffer that condition in step 5. This is because conditions are different than every other surge ability- they take effect in step 5 (every other surge takes effect in step 4, immediately when you spend it, as you pointed out).

8 hours ago, Zaltyre said:

Dommus, I appreciate your support, but I'd like to clarify- you can spend a surge on "poison" even if it is the only surge and the roll is 1 damage vs 10 shields. However, when you get to step 5 no damage is dealt, so the target simply does not receive a poison card.

Fully agree.

My point was just to explain the damage on dices can be raised with a surge (step 4) to effectivelly deal the wanted condition (step 5), wich I presume was the main concern on the original post " 20/02/2017 at 6:07 PM, Moxel ".

No discussion you can "waste" a surge on a poison condition and dont apply the effect at all, its just not smart.

Ty for the continuous support!

This is amazing! Many thanks to Sadgit and everyone involved!

My two coppers on the part of misprints / formatting issues / rules questions:

Page 9. Characteristics -> Stamina -> bullet 3

… it instead suffers damage equal to…

Maybe use the heart symbol instead of the word "damage" here? That seems more consistent with the rest of the paragraph.

Page 19. Image Token -> bullet 8

Image tokens have no attack pool (not even a blue attack die).

Can you explain please, where does that come from? I understand that images have no attack dice listed and generally never make attacks (no activation -> no actions), but it is still possible to force them to attack (dark charm, Hexer's Accursed Arms, maybe something else), right? So according to Steps of Combat table they should be able to choose the "bare hands" option, because they are "heroes".

Page 25. Movement -> Types of movement -> Move action -> Phases of move action

A move action ends when…

What about that uFAQ ruling on move action ending when all the MP gained through it are used? Is it still valid? Does it bring some complications and thus was not included until some clarifications are made by the FFG team?

Q: When, exactly, is a "move action" considered to end?
A: A move action ends when the hero spends his last movement point granted to him through his Speed.

Page 25. Movement -> Types of movement -> Fatigue movement

During his turn ("3. II. Perform Hero actions" step)…

This seems to be in direct contradiction with the uFAQ example on activating familiars. Although I do like the CRRG ruling more, because it kinda makes more sense.

Q: Familiar activation rules state…
Can hero use some abilities that are not actions before familiar's activation, then activate familiar, then activate himself?
A: Yes. As long as the actions of the familiar and the actions of the hero player do not intermingle (unless otherwise specified in card effects), you would be able to use non-action skills or suffer fatigue before activating a familiar and then themselves.

Also, "actions" in "Perform Hero actions" should be capital A here or non-capital A in the Hero Turn table, pg.40.

Page 28. Plot Cards -> Fortune -> bullet 2

Should be a sub-bullet of the first bullet of that paragraph.

Page 29. Reinforce -> bullet 4

It is a bit ambiguous (for a non-native speaker at least). What happens if a large monster can not be placed in a way that his entire base is on the designated tile: is he not placed at all (cause "required") or is that rule ignored due to the second sentence of that paragraph.

As far as I understand the latter is true as it kinda goes in line with Monster Placement, pg.24.

Page 42. Heroes and Allies -> Ispher

Ispher’s Hero ability does not trigger when he is knocked out.

Would you consider adding there some reasoning (like "passives of knocked-out heroes don't work") or a link to the Defeated section?

Page 43. Heroes and Allies -> Sahla -> bullet 1

Sahla's may use her Hero ability…

"His", not "her" and no possessive "’s".

Page 81. Index

May I suggest making all the index into clickable links? Like the "Related topics" sections.

Thanks a lot for your work and the detailed feedback. I will modify v1.1 accordingly. Here are some answers to your questions:

Page 19: The attack pool of Image tokens was clarified by this uFAQ:

Rule Question:
1) Can image tokens gain valor tokens?
1a) If so, can an image token discard those image tokens to gain a shield via "Glory of Battle"?
1b) What about "No Mercy"? Can an image token discard 2 tokens to perform an attack? What would it roll? Could it discard another to increase the damage by 1 via "Valor of Heroes"?
Answer:
1) Yes, the image token can gain Valor tokens.
1a) Yes, an image token can discard a valor token to gain a shield with Glory of Battle.
1b) This feels problematic, but I’ll stick with RAW for now. Yes, the image token can use No Mercy. However, it would roll no dice. If an affect adds damage or dice, then it would gain those. Certainly not an intended interaction, but I do not see a problem.

Page 25 : I discussed this with Zaltyre and we both agree that move actions are not really well defined. The definition "when the last movement point is spend" would technically prevent trading when heroes enter an adjacent space with the last movement point from a move action. Not RAI, in my opinion. Furthermore, it is not very clear if spending movement points for other sources during a move action interrupt that move action or not. I sent a question on this to FFG, let's wait for an answer.

----

Familiar activation is another point needs to be clarified by FFG. You are good in finding those :) Frankly, I believe the FFG answer you quoted (and another one) is wrong here. I sent this:

Familiar Activation and Hero abilities that do not cost actions

I am puzzled about two uFAQs answered by Kara and Justin on familiar activation. The question is if heroes may use non-action “During your turn” abilities (such as moving with fatigue) before activating a familiar and then perform their hero actions.

A: Rules as written, yes. https://boardgamegee...177167#20177167 [1](bottom).

A: As long as the actions of the familiar and the actions of the hero player do not intermingle (unless otherwise specified in card effects), you would be able to use non-action skills or suffer fatigue before activating a familiar and then themselves. https://boardgamegee...588938#11588938 [2](bottom)

The rulebook states "Essentially, a hero player with a familiar must choose whether to activate his hero first or his familiar first". According to rule book and official FAQs the terms "activation", "perform actions step" and "during your turn" all specify the same step of the heroes turn ("2. Perform 2 actions"). Fatigue can only be spent in this phase. Thus, Kara's and Justin's answers seem to contradict these rules. Could you please clarify?

Page 29 : Your interpretation is correct, I will add "if possible" to the first sentence.

Page 81 : The page numbers of the index are clickable. It does not make sense to make the whole entry clickable as some entries have multiple pages.

Edited by Sadgit

Release Notes:

CRRG Version 1.1.1 (07/03/2017)

- corrected typo in entry Widow Tarha
- corrected entry archetypes

CRRG Version 1.1 (06/03/2017)
- added table with map tiles for all Road to Legend quests to appendix
- added hero names to the index
- added uFAQ on Skye to entry Vyra the Falconer
- added entry Villager Tokens
- added uFAQ on Kobolds in section 2
- added Bad Blood in section 2
- added uFAQ on Blinding Speed in section 2
- added "moving out of a space" and "exit a space" to entry movement
- reworked entry Blast
- included higher-quality scans of Class cards and Item cards. Thanks to Psymia providing the scans!
- corrected entry Objective Tokens
- modified cover
- modified entry Campaigns/Mini campaigns
- modified entry Shadow in section 2
- modified box on Familiars/Familiars treated as figures
- modified entry Large monster/Movement
- modified entry Relics/Standard Relics
- modified entry Tainted, added link Tainted to entries Defeat and Revive
- modified Running Shot in section 2
- modified entry Movement/Movement Points, last bullet
- modified entry Activation, 1st bullet
- modified entry Overlord cards/Playing Overlord cards
- modified entries Hero token, Infection token, and Song token
- modified entry Elder Mok
- modified entry Ispher
- modified RTL box for Overlord Turn to remove ambiguity on the number of attacks that monsters may perform per activation.
- modified RTL box for entry Stun.
- corrected a number of typos and layout issues

CRRG Version 1.0 (17/02/2017)

Edited by Sadgit

I am absolutely at a loss for words to express how grateful I am to have this fantastic resource.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Sadgit!

A really amazing work!

Just two little finds here:

Page 41: in Krutzbeck section his name is misspelled two times: "Kruzbeck's Hero ability [...] If Krutzback has [...]"

Page 44, Apothecary section: "Brew Elixir"card image is displayed instead of "Potent Remedies" one.

Thank you for your work Sadgit.

Thanks for reporting these. Will be corrected in version CRRG v1.2 that will be released next week.

As a new player, this looks brilliant, great work!!

Question thought, at 88 pages, what do people do, print the lot??

You can use the interactive version on a tablet or use a printout either with or without the background images.

Personally, I will get a professional printout of v1.2. In Germany this is just around 5 €.

27 minutes ago, Sadgit said:

You can use the interactive version on a tablet or use a printout either with or without the background images.

Personally, I will get a professional printout of v1.2. In Germany this is just around 5 €.

Ah you can buy em? Anywhere I can pick one up? Would really like a printed one.

No, unfortunately you cannot buy a printed copy due to copyright reasons.
But check if there is a custom online printing service available in your country. In Germany, I just upload the CRRG and get a professionally printed copy sent back in a couple of days.

3 minutes ago, Sadgit said:

No, unfortunately you cannot buy a printed copy due to copyright reasons.
But check if there is a custom online printing service available in your country. In Germany, I just upload the CRRG and get a professionally printed copy sent back in a couple of days.

Thanks.

So, Reference the creator/original poster, I can upload this and have it printed out no problem with a professional company?

I am the original poster by the way :-)
I have the official OK of Asmodee's legal department for the creation and distribution of a pdf version of the CRRG as long as it is for free and sources of the used material are included. I can't image that FFG would object if you print out a copy of the pdf for personal use. I am not even sure if they would be able to legally prevent it.

Edited by Sadgit
3 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Ah you can buy em? Anywhere I can pick one up? Would really like a printed one.

Check if you have a Kinkos near you. You can upload it do them through the website and pick up a nice finished copy. I was very happy with the work they did for my all in one Talisman rulebook.

One tip, go with 8.5x11 size glossy paper and use a spiral bind. Even if they say you could get a fold over staple binding like the original books, it doubles the cost because you are using double size paper that is very expensive to get that fold over style.

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to print it? If you have a PC/Laptop, tablet or even smartphone you can use the interactive version so you can very easily search for specific keywords. More importantly, you can always consult the latest version of the CRRG, whereas if you print it and a week later a new version comes out with, who knows, some major changes, you'd have to reprint the whole thing or look up what pages changed and which ones didn't.

I myself 'downloaded' the interactive version to iBooks on my iPad, works like a charm :)

If you're a 'collector' or do not have any (smart) device at hand I could understand why you'd want to print it, obviously.

Edited by liquidsnake1989
3 hours ago, liquidsnake1989 said:

Just out of curiousity, why would you want to print it? If you have a PC/Laptop, tablet or even smartphone you can use the interactive version so you can very easily search for specific keywords. More importantly, you can always consult the latest version of the CRRG, whereas if you print it and a week later a new version comes out with, who knows, some major changes, you'd have to reprint the whole thing or look up what pages changed and which ones didn't.

I myself 'downloaded' the interactive version to iBooks on my iPad, works like a charm :)

If you're a 'collector' or do not have any (smart) device at hand I could understand why you'd want to print it, obviously.

I like books!!! :)

Having said that, think I might try the phone route first.

19 hours ago, liquidsnake1989 said:

It's easier to pass around the book during a session when it's an actual physical book. I'm not passing my phone around, and many people aren't comfortable using it on a phone anyway.

Beautiful.

JUST.

BAUTIFUL.

Thank you very much Sadgit!

Release Notes

CRRG Version 1.2. (01/04/2017)

modified numerous entries for clarity and readability
added the bard skill Concentration to section 2
added an uFAQ to Understudy
added details on target selection in RtL boxes for entries Steps of Attacks and Targets
added an uFAQ to entry Reach and Extend
added an uFAQ on Inscribe Rune in section 2
corrected entry for Incendiary Arrows in section 2
corrected image for Potent Remedies
added errata (GER) for Carve a Path
modified cover, tables and colors in appendix 3.5 to give better results when printed
corrected a number of typos and layout issues

Edited by Sadgit

Release Notes

CRRG Version 1.3. (02/05/2017)

Added uFAQ on RtL activation lists
Added uFAQ on Rat-Thing King
Added uFAQ on Army of Dul'Zumn
Added uFAQ on Cry Havoc
Added uFAQ on Respected Citizen
corrected text of Protect

4 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Release Notes

CRRG Version 1.3. (02/05/2017)

Added uFAQ on RtL activation lists
Added uFAQ on Rat-Thing King
Added uFAQ on Army of Dul'Zumn
Added uFAQ on Cry Havoc
Added uFAQ on Respected Citizen
corrected text of Protect

I would like to make a recommendation to include the version number of the document on the first page of the document (or the title page).

Just make it clear what the version of the document is. I think this would be very helpful when someone is referencing the document, and I may be looking at a later (or earlier) version.

Very good idea. I will put the version number on the title page and update the current version. Should have done that from the start.

Edit: done!

Edited by Sadgit