Community Rules Reference Guide (CRRG)

By Sadgit, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

dggpbpy.png

The Community Rules Reference Guide (CRRG) is a comprehensive resource for all Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition rules. In its current form it features:

• Rules from the base game and all released expansion boxes (except the print-on-demand expansions)
  • Rules for Road to Legend including The Delve in separate text boxes
  • Official Errata and FAQ published by FFG (oFAQ, version 1.6) and approximately 400 unoffical FAQs (uFAQs) to specific player questions integrated into the text.
  • Visual examples for “Movement”, “Line of Sight” and “Special Situations in Combat”
  • Tables with overviews on the content of Descent expansions
  • An index with hyperlinks and page numbers

When I started this project (in an over-enthusiastic and fairly naive way), I never imagined the time and effort it would cost. I also never imagined what I would learn on the way. And I definitely never imagined the help and the encouragement I would receive from friendly, dedicated and generally fantastic people who I would get to know. I cannot thank you guys and gals enough for this. For me personally, this project is as much about the journey and the things that I experienced on the way, as it is about the final product. And, in my opinion, this is exactly as it should be.

CJaLzne.jpg

Download: http://crrg.descent-community.org

Support:

I am planning to update and improve the CRRG. I need the help of the community for this. Please use this thread to report errors, typos and additional uFAQs not yet included in the CRRG. Other comments are highly appreciated as well.

Many thanks to Zaltyre, any2cards and Atom4geVampire for their continuous support.

Edited by Sadgit

Congratulations! This looks fantastic!

I'm interested in professionally printing this for my own use. I'll probably wait for a few point releases (1.2 maybe?) to let kinks get worked out. Does anyone have any recommendations of online locations that can print this? Would it be possible to have the pages printed at 432 mm x 303 mm and then folded and stapled together (basically, a book version)?

Very many thanks To all of you for that contribution.

4 hours ago, trevorade said:

I'm interested in professionally printing this for my own use. I'll probably wait for a few point releases (1.2 maybe?) to let kinks get worked out. Does anyone have any recommendations of online locations that can print this? Would it be possible to have the pages printed at 432 mm x 303 mm and then folded and stapled together (basically, a book version)?

The printing service in Germay that I am going to use myself will be printing 4 pages on one "spread", which should give a result identical to the official rule book. Costs will be around 5 EUR, shipping included. I guess similar services should be available in most countries.

Edited by Sadgit

Sadgit you made a masterpiece here, thank you, SO MUCH!!

:D

Any forum moderator please PIN this post ASAP!!!

Great work! Thank you thank you!

While amazingly fantastic, (I read the whole thimg just now) It's missing something that probably deserves its own table, and that would be Seeds of Corruption alternate maps.

I am very happy to know that the only reason that isn't in the book, is beacause it was written prior to the release, but had yet to be formatted.

1 hour ago, ChanceRiley said:

While amazingly fantastic, (I read the whole thimg just now) It's missing something that probably deserves its own table, and that would be Seeds of Corruption alternate maps.

I have not had the chance to play Road to Legend recently. Could you please provide details on what is known on alternative maps in SoC?

Edited by Sadgit
1 hour ago, ChanceRiley said:

I am very happy to know that the only reason that isn't in the book, is beacause it was written prior to the release, but had yet to be formatted.

Would that be considered a spoiler? Or do you just mean which expansions may allow alternate map layouts in quests of SoC?

Fantastic work on the CRRG Sadgit! Just skimming through it now.

Congratulations on the release!

You've made my morning - been eagerly awaiting this!

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Dommus said:

Sadgit you made a masterpiece here, thank you, SO MUCH!!

:D

Any forum moderator please PIN this post ASAP!!!

This will be included in the Index of Useful Links shortly.

So dear FFG my suggestion would be that, as a reward for their tremendous work, the next Heroes ans Monsters Pack should be featuring Any the Father, Sadgit with the the faith, Atom the LoreVampire and Zaltyre the One who knows.

Coulld not let this pass without saying a big thank you for your work. :)

Amazing. Thank you very much. :)

A quick reading made me spot 3 small things to correct:

1) On page 27, in the sentence "This way it is be possible to play e.g. two Dark Charms (on different targets) at the start of a single overlord turn", "be" should be removed.

2) On page 52, Skirmisher skills appear under the "Spiritspeaker" title.

3) On page 58, the text for Airborne says: "Infection tokens can only be placed on figures targeted by the attack. Figures affected by the attack do not receive infection tokens even if no [damage] is dealt." I thought the rule was that Figures did indeed receive infection tokens even if no damage is dealt, so it seems to me that the "not" in the sentence should be removed.

Again, thanks a lot for this extremely useful work.

@Ispher: Thx for this. Corrected typos/layout.

Changed Airborne, first bullet to: "Infection tokens can only be placed on figures targeted by an attack. Figures merely affected by an attack do not receive infection tokens."

This should clarify the difference between "targeted" and "affected" in respect to Airborne, right?

These and other changes will be included in the next version of the CRRG.

Edited by Sadgit
On 2/17/2017 at 11:13 AM, trevorade said:

I created a single merged rulebook for Talisman in this vein. I had nice results just using Kinko's for printing. Glossy paper with heavyweight glossy paper for front and back covers. I had them print on 8.5x11 doublesided and used a nice simple spiral binding. As much as I like the idea of a saddle binding (11x17 folded over and stapled) like the stock rulebooks, it is cost prohibitive. You are looking at double the cost because of the difference in paper size costs. Printing and spiral binding of a 52 page book cost me $55.

Edited by Kaaihn

Sadgit, this is amazing work. Thank you so much. Some feedback after a quick read through:

Page 34, in the RtL box, it states that Search cards are discarded at the end of each quest. Might want to specify that Search cards are discarded at the end of each quest in campaign mode, but in a Delve only facedown Search cards are returned, and then only during the act transition after the third stage.

For song tokens, a question I have that I hadn't asked yet is whether you can have multiple of the same token type on a card, and, if so, is there any limit to how many tokens can be on a card? If you can have two or more of the same token on a card, do you stack the effects?

Page 39, for Valor tokens, it says that they are discarded at the end of a quest. In a Delve, are they discarded between Stages? It would be good to have that clear in the guide. I imagine this should be applied to all class tokens like this. Apothecary, etc.

Page 40, in the RtL box about monster activations, it says: Monsters may perform up to two actions as given on the action list (usually one of which may include an attack). In the RtL rulebook it says: Normal restrictions and special abilities still apply. For example, most monsters cannot attack more than once per activation, so any actions that contain attacks are skipped if the monster already attacked.
That note about cannot attack more than once per activation I think should be in the RtL box in the guide. As written it sounds like they can make two attacks.

Page 41, for Elder Mok I think it would be useful to include the clarification that his ability works on each hero's turn, not once per all hero's turn. That's what I was told when I asked here for clarification; regardless, whatever the ruling is I think it should be explicitly stated in the guide.

Page 74, it says that using a Stamina potion does not require an action. I notice it does not say this also for healing potions, or any other kind of search card. Does this mean that healing potions DO require an action since it isn't specified it doesnt like Stamina potions? If not, should probably list all the search cards that don't require an action, or word it so that Stamina potion is an example, not a specific.

Edited by Kaaihn

Not Sadgit, but...

RE: song tokens- there is only 1 harmony and 1 melody token. It is impossible tonever have multiple song tokens of the same type.

RE: search card actions- several of the search cards (health, fire flask, curse doll) do indicate on the card that they cost an action to use. Stamina potions do not, and therefore do not cost one.

Thanks for that feedback, Kaaihn.

Search cards and class tokens: At the moment this is included under the entry Stage. However, as it often causes some confusion among players, I will consider to add this to RTL boxes in entries for the class tokens and search cards.

Song tokens: Will add "Both song tokens may be placed on one Class card." to entry Song Tokens. I think Zaltyre clarified the rest.

p.40: Will rephrase to remove ambiguity.

p.41: Will add that.

p.74: Zaltyre answered this. I added stamina potion as Errata (ITA) here as there is a misprint showing an action symbol on this card in the Italian version of the game.

Edited by Sadgit

Amazing, fantastic job you have done. Another feedback:

On Page 10, conditions can be inflicted:

if at least 1 damage is delt. Add: " after rolling defense dice."

I think it's important to note that you only can inflict a condition if your attack delt at least 1 damage before you spend surges. So even if your attack deal one damage after you spend surges then you wouldn't be able to inflict a condition because it has to be after step 2 of the attack even though you spend the required surge to inflict the condition during step 4.

Maybe I'm just a gimp, but reading the Stunned condition text for RtL, my first glance at it makes it sound like when a monster starts its activation it discards stun and takes two actions. The bit about proceeding down "as normal" is probably why I thought that on quick read. Adding "for its remaining action" after "as normal" might be useful. Unless I'm the only one silly enough to have misread it like that :lol:

Thank you again for that feedback. Keep those things coming!

I agree that this bullet is not as clear as it could be. Changed to: "When a stunned monster is starting its activation, it spends its first action to discard “Stunned” and then proceeds down the action list as normal."

20 hours ago, Moxel said:

I think it's important to note that you only can inflict a condition if your attack delt at least 1 damage before you spend surges. So even if your attack deal one damage after you spend surges then you wouldn't be able to inflict a condition because it has to be after step 2 of the attack even though you spend the required surge to inflict the condition during step 4.

Respectfully, I disagree. There is no such distinction between damage results present before or after surges. During step 2 the roll is made and there are a number of range, surge, damage, and shield results, and the surges are spent to alter those results. Damage isn't dealt (the prerequisite for inflicting a condition) until step 5, and it is at this point the condition will be applied (or not).

The "after rolling defense dice" in this case is not a timing trigger (admittedly, that isn't obvious) but is merely a reminder of how dealing damage works (hearts minus shields, not just hearts). It's one of the numerous examples where additional text intended as a help ends up clouding the meaning.

Edited by Zaltyre

Sorry, I somehow overlooked your post, Moxel.

Thanks for jumping in, Zaltyre.