Spicing up the City Shops

By Bludgeon, in Talisman Home Brews

I also disagree with the idea of renaming the pets with descriptive names - it adds a lot more personality to them, and sets them apart from simple followers. They're pets, and are kinda meant to be characters in their own right, rather than generic followers.

If characters shouldn't have personality by having names, neither should some city pets. But that's only my opinion.

Full helmet is misspelled.

Where?

It was spelt "Ful" on the King's Armoury card.

Also, I would agree with the renaming of Pets, depending on the artwork used.

Felicia Cano's original artwork was deliberately cute, so fitted pet names. If your chosen artwork is just of, say an Elephant, then maybe go with animal names.

If characters shouldn't have personality by having names, neither should some city pets. But that's only my opinion.

Well, the way I see it is that the characters aren't characters as such. They're YOU, the player, and are simply a role you're playing. They're not given names because they're your avatar in the world. And talisman hasn't shied away from naming actual non-player characters before - Cadorus, Grilipus, Varthrax, Mab, Oberon, Titania... sure, most of the characters in talisman lore are given generic titles - the Wizard, the Lord of Darkness, etc. But I don't think that's enough of a justification for removing one of the fun, primary characteristics of pets.

It was spelt "Ful" on the King's Armoury card.

Well, the way I see it is that the characters aren't characters as such. They're YOU, the player, and are simply a role you're playing. They're not given names because they're your avatar in the world.

Thanks for suggestions Phoenyx!

0460877fa555d1ea.png 8cee82039df872a4.png

a30b23cb6e8545f0.png 050bffdc1fbf6680.png

Well, think if it as a class then. It's not the name of the character, just the class.

Well, think if it as a class then. It's not the name of the character, just the class.

That's how talisman is set up, yes.

Ask yourself this question:

You get a new character (from new expansion or fan made, whatever)

That character starts with a pet.

Would you rather read

You begin the game with a Giant Turtle.

or

You begin the game with Terrance.

?

Edited by Bludgeon

Okay, so that's my point. You were saying the pets shouldn't have names because the characters don't, but I'm saying the characters don't because they're basically classes, not characters. And yeah, I'd rather read 'You begin the game with Terrance' if it was talking about a pet. 'Giant Turtle' might sound cooler, but it takes away from the personal nature of the pets, where they feel more like a companion than a generic follower. I'd rather it said Giant Turtle if it was talking about some generic follower, something you might get at the stables.

Edited by Cookierobber

^ Ditto.

Very well, you convinced me not to change them :) I still don't like pet names but I will bow to the opinion of majority.

:) I never voted that you had to like it. :)

Very well, you convinced me not to change them :) I still don't like pet names but I will bow to the opinion of majority.

You should design your homebrew how you like If others want the pets to have names they can rename them themselves, I'm personally am liking your ideas, keep it up.

Yeah I mean, I'm just giving my opinion. You don't have to change it if you don't want to, I was just giving you another point of view that you might not have considered. Love the rest of the stuff you've done here though, it's really nice.

Will you be uploading these and your new itmes, Night and day mechanics for download anytime soon -perhaps to talismanisland?! Just thinking what a nice xmas break present it would be! :-D

Edited by Phoenyx

Looks awesome! Where can we download it, or is not finished yet? :)

Edited by mightywolve