Spicing up the City Shops

By Bludgeon, in Talisman Home Brews

Ever wondered if the City Shop spaces maybe should do more, or sell more stuff? Here's my idea for it.

In the City adventure deck there will be 11 new Events. Each event puts a specific terrain card over one of the shops, upgrading it.

I've made one set so far. I think it will add replayability and some excitement to the City.

5f56eee1c3d423c5.png fb6a2527452ea736.png 06770df41b8f8440.png 100e5e1fb94ff31a.png ab86f972afeafb4f.png

Some terrain cards are meant for one specific space on the board, hence introduction of the bound symbol.

If a terrain card has this symbol just below the name, followed by the name of a space, it can only be put on that space.

If an effect would place bound terrain card anywhere else on the board, put that terrain card on its bound space instead.

Edited by Bludgeon

Sounds like a great idea, the cards look great btw :-)

Coming from a previous World of Warcraft life I could think of all kinds of things you could do with things like the city! Ie; Tailors where you could by craft-users robes etc that would enhance you magically or spell-wise somehow. Enchanters shops were you could enchant weapons and armor giving the items bonuses. Maybe even a place where you could pick up followers or buy mercenaries for hire! An endless list!

Edited by Phoenyx

This looks like a great idea. Have you also considered upgrades for the village, tavern etc along these lines. Some really good ideas you have shown us all recently. Submit your cv to games workshop so they don't end up ruining our beloved game

Do these Terrain cards go in the usual Terrain deck? I ask because I am greatly amused by thought of drawing them from another event/omen and covering up a random Hills space with an upgraded City shop.

Do these Terrain cards go in the usual Terrain deck? I ask because I am greatly amused by thought of drawing them from another event/omen and covering up a random Hills space with an upgraded City shop.

Yes they go to the terrain deck. I'm aware of this potential strange interaction and I'll have it solved soon.

Solution: some terrain cards are meant for one specific space on the board, hence introduction of the bound symbol.

If a terrain card has this symbol just below the name, followed by the name of a space, it can only be put on that space.

If an effect would place bound terrain card anywhere else on the board, put that terrain card on its bound space instead.

I think this will cover it.

fb6a2527452ea736.png

Edited by Bludgeon

f9b0a8af921fb770.png 0f2972c1c2ec4ec2.png a8dce5aec128f6f0.png 85446762ba8a198b.png 08edcfa002ce7c05.png

Edited by Bludgeon

Nice. New items look great. Love the Mage Robes :-)

Just wondering if the Antimagic Disc should be a touch more expensive though, maybe 4-6G? As it's pretty powerful!

Still a relative newcomer to the game, I just got Harbringer, Cataclysm and Firelands in the last month or two to complete the expansion set. So now finally familliar with 'terrain' cards I think these really are an excellent idea.

Im impressed how you've managed to do the card design and find spot-on artwork too, especially the Armoury ones ;-)

Have you also considered upgrades for the village, tavern etc along these lines.

No, because with cataclysm those spaces have all the variety they need.

Have you also considered upgrades for the village, tavern etc along these lines.

No, because with cataclysm those spaces have all the variety they need.

Nice. New items look great. Love the Mage Robes :-)

Im impressed how you've managed to do the card design and find spot-on artwork too, especially the Armoury ones ;-)

Just wondering if the Antimagic Disc should be a touch more expensive though, maybe 4-6G? As it's pretty powerful!

You can't cast spells

You're correct, I forgot to add You can't cast spells line.

Ah yes, that makes sense :-)

Steed is a new keyword that works like weapon/armour, but for followers. In other words, a character can use only one steed in battle. Original Warhorse will need to have to keyword added too.

20982e478b88add6.png c8b6b207f386d079.png 4ccde49fcd01e48b.png 798076cd62064390.png 3812e68b18be78c0.png 738c310a0eaa9bdd.png 8d64c2c40a563f77.png

Shops were the easy part.

I'm open for ideas how to upgrade

- rogues' guild

- wharf

- menagerie

- soothsayer

- sorcerer

- apothecary

- academy

- high temple

Love the idea of the steeds, much more interesting element and Looks great :-)

Very World Of Warcraft inspired choices too! Only suggestion of, is that perhaps the Raptor and Lion being the most fierce/powerful of the animals (except griffin) should be even more combat orientated over the Cavalry Horse and Wolf - maybe higher in strength (3) or an ability like 'roll 2 dice in combat and pick highest one' etc?

A good alternative name for the Cavalry Horse (though I think that's fine) if you wanted something less wordy could be 'Charger'.

Oh and not 100% sure but I think Griffon is most commonly spelt Griffin (though in Wow I'm sure it was spelt Gryphon so maybe its open to artistic licence!) ;-)

Thought of some ideas for the Guild, Wharf..etc etc, but just at work at the moment, will try post later ;-)

Edited by Phoenyx

Charger is a great suggestion for the Cavalry Horse. I've also (not so) secretly hated the title Riding Horse... :rolleyes:

Charger is a great suggestion for the Cavalry Horse. I've also (not so) secretly hated the title Riding Horse... :rolleyes:

Yeah Riding Horse not a great title! In fact I've recently been thinking about some cool alternatives to just having the one riding horse that could be added to the Stables deck. A variety of riding horse types with slightly differing abilities - should try and knock some up Bludgeon-style ;-)

Edited by Phoenyx

I've always favoured the amazingly tricky replacement title... Horse. :)

Oh, while I remember, there was a set of new mounts posted a while ago by JC Hendee, but they may have gone now. I'll see if I can find them...

Edited by talismanisland

Neat ideas for the City shops, and nice looking cards. :)

Here's an idea for the Academy:

You may trade in a combination of gold and strength and craft trophies. Gain 1 strength or craft for every 5 gold and/or trophy points traded in.

Some very quick, skectchy brainstromed ideas here for a feel etc! Could detail them out much better when I've time later :-)
Sorcerer

Trade in spells for craft rather than just Gold maybe - 3 for 1 craft upgrade? The theory being practicing the spell has increased ur skill/craft.
Buy/aquire things other than spells - 'Sorcerers Apprentice' Follower for example. He would allow you to carry an extra spell perhaps? More so, he would own and cast it. Bit like Genie's Lamp object only it's replaced every turn.
Alter it totally to some kind of Enchanter's shop - Thinking Warcraft-style again here! Could enchant your weapons for bonuses or simply buy a selection of basic enchanted weapons such as sword, shield, dagger etc. Perhaps better to sell the enchantment as a magic item/dust which you then apply to your weapon of choice. Enchantments could be; beastslayer, demonslayer, icy weapon, fiery weapon, +2 to weapon strength etc.

Rogues Guild

Could buy rogue & assassin-like equipment - poisons to apply to weapons (slow movement/take extra life). Weapons; smoke bomb, garotte, poisoned dagger etc.

Buy/aquire Rogue Follower - bit like Sorcerer's Apprentice above, but combat orientated.

Could be altered totally to just Guild - For a price you could choose to join either Rogues guild, Thieves guild - Assassins guild, Merchants guild for which u receive a simple bonus/perk. Ie; Assasin's guild, you receive +1 to attack score. Merchants guild - some kind of gold bonus..etc

Apothecary

Can't think of much for this. Maybe just things to buy such as special healing kits etc?

Soothsayer

Be able to look at top cards of Adventure deck for a price, or do something with them in advance to your favour?

Or buy some sort of Soothsayer's Amulet or Crystal Ball object, instead giving you these two abilities permanently.

Wharf

Something to do with boats - A permanent version of a Raft that you could buy or have on tap!

Maybe a better idea of the above is a Captain/Sailor Follower you can hire who has a boat ready for you anytime you wish to cross the Storm River. Maybe pay 1G to use him like the Mercenary.

Some sort of harbour market - Sell objects for gold or vice versa.

Menagerie

Better pets! More powerful and expensive ones!
Edited by Phoenyx

Another idea for the Wharf:

Ferry Service:

-Pay 1 gold to move to any space in the Outer or Middle regions.

-Instead of a normal move, you may pay 1 gold to move to this space from the Tavern, Temple, Village, Castle, Chapel, Graveyard, or Warlock's Cave.

Another idea for the Wharf:

Ferry Service:

-Pay 1 gold to move to any space in the Outer or Middle regions.

-Instead of a normal move, you may pay 1 gold to move to this space from the Tavern, Temple, Village, Castle, Chapel, Graveyard, or Warlock's Cave.

Intriguing, but would you then have to change the text on those corner spaces?

And why limit it to only the corner spaces...if you can go to any space, why not from?

Very World Of Warcraft inspired choices too!

Raptor is inspired by dino riders

http://static.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/dino-riders-movie-toys.jpg

Dire Lion by He-Man (idea) and D&D (name)

Griffon i took from talisman itself (it lost a fight with the pegasus, mostly because if I didn't have a griffon terrain picture wouldn't make sense)

Only suggestion of, is that perhaps the Raptor and Lion being the most fierce/powerful of the animals (except griffin) should be even more combat orientated over the Cavalry Horse and Wolf

maybe higher in strength (3) or an ability like 'roll 2 dice in combat and pick highest one' etc?

A good alternative name for the Cavalry Horse (though I think that's fine) if you wanted something less wordy could be 'Charger'.

Oh and not 100% sure but I think Griffon is most commonly spelt Griffin

http://www.talismanwiki.com/Griffon

:)

Here's an idea for the Academy:

You may trade in a combination of gold and strength and craft trophies. Gain 1 strength or craft for every 5 gold and/or trophy points traded in.

Edited by Bludgeon
Sorcerer

Trade in spells for craft rather than just Gold maybe - 3 for 1 craft upgrade?

That's problematic on 2 levels.

1) Steps on toes of the academy

2) Potentially broken

Buy/aquire things other than spells - 'Sorcerers Apprentice' Follower for example.

While I like the idea in general, making new decks means making new card backs, and I don't have skill to do that in satisfactory manner.

Now, if the new deck was not a purchase deck but something else, I should find something suitable.

Also, I don't want City to turn into a giant store. Variety is good so lets have 4 card shops and then other stuff too.

Alter it totally to some kind of Enchanter's shop

There already is an Enchanter's Shop - magic emporium.

]quote]Apothecary

Can't think of much for this. Maybe just things to buy such as special healing kits etc?I was thinking simple but random healing in addition to buying potions. I can of course also make some crazy potions too.

Soothsayer

Be able to look at top cards of Adventure deck for a price, or do something with them in advance to your favour?

I think I have something more interesting.

Something to do with boats - A permanent version of a Raft that you could buy or have on tap!

So teleport anytime in outer or middle region for 1 gold (or more)? That sounds too good, even if the price is steep. Compare it to Griffin which I was careful to limit in a serious way but still make it desirable to have.

That doesn't really work like any other rule in talisman. Maybe pay to drag other players to the wharf instead? :P

Or pay to have objects or followers ferried from outer and middle region to you, for a price.

Edited by Bludgeon

I'm not sure this is final design, but how about this:
6f075e1c01e17461.png d03640ff366246c0.png

Tell me what you think about card's effects and the layout. All this text would not fit on a standard terrain card.

Edited by Bludgeon