Deckbuilding Preview

By BD Flory, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Certainly a possibility. We've already seen deck requirements for specific cards, no reason why it couldn't be a class of card.

I do like freedom mixed with restrictions lol. I'm a weirdo and like my rpg classes to do the best by telling me explicitly to use this or this.

Incentive is probably more likely than requirement, like the investigator who draws cards for each tome (I forget exactly how it's worded). She doesn't have to play tomes, but she encourages it.

Actually, in a limited card pool, she actually might have to. But you know what I mean. :P

Yeah you'll probably be using all the tomes in Core set.

1: Which char do you think have Mystic subclass? I'm hoping it's Daisy be rather themathic for a scholar of dark secrets to learn magic. (personally I want it to be her cuz I wanna play solo a lot and she is one of my fave chars so her having spells to barbecue a Ghoul or five be sweet)

Based on the characters, here's my guess:

Agnes as Mystic / Survivor -- Survivor seems like a good fit for her as an everyday individual, a waitress, thrust into the cosmic horror around her

Daisy as Seeker / Mystic -- Mystic matches her compulsion to delve into arcane knowledge beyond her understanding

Skids as Rogue / Guardian -- Guardian fits with his unique weakness, Hospital Debts; he's driven by a desire to help people (or at least that one person in the hospital)

Based on the characters, here's my guess:

Agnes as Mystic / Survivor -- Survivor seems like a good fit for her as an everyday individual, a waitress, thrust into the cosmic horror around her

Daisy as Seeker / Mystic -- Mystic matches her compulsion to delve into arcane knowledge beyond her understanding

Skids as Rogue / Guardian -- Guardian fits with his unique weakness, Hospital Debts; he's driven by a desire to help people (or at least that one person in the hospital)

Ah thanks this is helpful I'm sure your right as well.

I tried like ten minutes of Pathfinder Card Game and frankly it was rather annoying.. I hope this game's mechanics are nicer... I like deckbuilding (albeit sucking at it but) so I like the idea of cards leveling up.

There are some rules that confuse me I hope the rules pdf comes out soon.. I don't get it you can use cards 0 through 5 but you can't put em in your deck.. Um so I guess the deckbuilding rules are saying you can have those cards but you need xp in your deck? A starting investigator can only use level zero cards then..? Rather confusing...

We played through both Rise of the Runelords and Skulls and Shackles. The persistent RPG/Card concept was creative, but the game itself was pretty awful. I've been waiting for someone to take the same concept and execute on it better - Shadowrun Crossfire was a miss too, but things are looking good for this one.

OMG finally. I played the first pathfinder core set and i always felt the game was trash. Its literally just - flip a card- -roll a die for success-. over, and over, and over... terrible. I guess they were expecting players to RP all the flash? i dunno. but i found it so lame.

Ugh I see cards still being made for Pathfinder and one of the hobby shops I know has a weekly game for it.

I personally really enjoy the Pathfinder ACG. I will admit that the game has flaws though. One of which is that starting characters and decks are rather boring especially in Rise of the Runelords which is the most bland of the sets.

Back to AH deck building.

How many tomes do you think we'll get? Seeker and Mystics are turning out to be my fave classes and Ilike Wendy but I'll have to try her out see if I like survivors mechanically.

Back to AH deck building.

How many tomes do you think we'll get? Seeker and Mystics are turning out to be my fave classes and Ilike Wendy but I'll have to try her out see if I like survivors mechanically.

I'd be totally OK with a Mythos pack of nothing but Tome Assets. The Core Set looks like it has 3, not counting the John Dee Necronomican Weakness. I think if they want those to be a significant class in the game, then maybe 2-3 per cycle is not unreasonable. We have to spare room for Firearms , or Relics , and Skills.

I'd be totally OK with a Mythos pack of nothing but Tome Assets. The Core Set looks like it has 3, not counting the John Dee Necronomican Weakness. I think if they want those to be a significant class in the game, then maybe 2-3 per cycle is not unreasonable. We have to spare room for Firearms , or Relics , and Skills.

I don't wanna shoot people all the time I wanna curse em or research em ta death.

OMG finally. I played the first pathfinder core set and i always felt the game was trash. Its literally just - flip a card- -roll a die for success-. over, and over, and over... terrible. I guess they were expecting players to RP all the flash? i dunno. but i found it so lame.

Sorry for the continued off topic, but...

I liken PACG to most MMOs - an absolutely awful game which is made fun by a combination of social elements and progression press-the-button-to-get-a-reward. As a game, you're right, it wasn't even much of a game - very random, with your decisions at each step being blatantly obvious and almost zero actual depth. It didn't even do a good job representing what it was supposed to in the first place - the lack of ability to work together as a party should have been a fatal flaw that doomed it... but see social/rat-in-a-maze rewards.

I'm amazed it's kept going as long as it has, but Pathfinder has a very loyal following of more casual gamers who probably haven't ever seen anything better, and there is so much better out there...

I don't wanna shoot people all the time I wanna curse em or research em ta death.

I want to play Rogue so that I can pickpocket monsters. That seems hilarious to me. Oh I evaded that deadly tentacle monster? Luckily I swiped this awesome shotgun from his pocket.

I prefer spellcasters and reading :P I hope that journalist in Dunwich is a Seeker.

Journalist to seeker? That doesn't seem likely. /s But yeah he probably is that or a rogue. Wonder who the new survivor might be though... There was talk about the rich lady in the water mark and where she may end up if she is in this expan. and I think she will be a rogue because of the resources she can gain.

Journalist to seeker? That doesn't seem likely. /s But yeah he probably is that or a rogue. Wonder who the new survivor might be though... There was talk about the rich lady in the water mark and where she may end up if she is in this expan. and I think she will be a rogue because of the resources she can gain.

I'd love to play a femme fatale.

I'm super excited for the deck building restrictions actually. Who has ever played an Arkham game fully prepared? The whole point is playing someone who is going against it all and surviving even through insurmountable odds. If you just level up every time you buy pack you might as well not even play lovecraftian games. It would be a bore as the scalability of monsters and tasks would be astronomical over time rendering your previous sets null.

I think when you think of a game like this, you have to take the theme into consideration and realize if you want a deck builder where you can pimp it out so you are OP then you should be playing something else.

I think when you think of a game like this, you have to take the theme into consideration and realize if you want a deck builder where you can pimp it out so you are OP then you should be playing something else.

well i think the idea is that when a new set comes out the cards are of equivalent power but function best in a specific scenario. like AOE vs direct damage. This is what you would want to swap in and out. I certainly hope the game doesn't power creep more powerful effects as time goes on.

Edited by PinkTaco