Deckbuilding Preview

By BD Flory, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

The more I know the more I like it...

Dat Hot Streak alone makes me want to build a rogue deck or possibly include it in any deck that can fit it. Hell, even that amulet of Wendy's looks like a blast in the right deck.

So the exp cost for level 0 cards has been confirmed. I think it is probably a good call for FFG to ensure the characters have continuity. This preview also shows us the last card for guardian (police badge), the 2 neutral experienced cards (bulletproof vest, elder sign amulet) and a couple of spells (Shrivelling, scrying). I hope to see more examples of the other mystic cards as frankly i am a little worried about Agnes. Hopefully there is something there to heal horror damage (rather than depending on the presence of a guardian for first aid) as she probably needs it.

Hot streak is indeed sweet and probably the first thing to buy for the "Skids" player. It will allow him to pay off his hospital debts.

Old book of lore has a really good effect for Daisy. Once you have it, you may never have to draw your weaknesses.

This is looking great so far. Keep the previews coming!

(Btw only Wendy can use Wendy's amulet so technically it will always be in the right deck.)

Edited by DarkFate

I want it now.

@DarkFate: There is damage and horror, but no horror damage.

Really like how the deck building aspect also works as the character advancement. I was on the fence about this game, but now I'm definitely getting it :)

I like how characters can pick up additional weaknesses over the course of a campaign.

The burden of deck building finally killed LOTR for me, this looks perfect though!

Am I the only one who thinks Scrying is too powerful?

Research Librarian looks like a two of in any Seeker deck for a long time.

The burden of deck building finally killed LOTR for me, this looks perfect though!

Its the deck building that draws me to these games. I really enjoy it and probably spend more time tinkering decks than actually playing. Can understand how it might become a chore for some though. I'm curious how the deck building in this game doesn't put you off, smaller card pool perhaps?

You can't bottom a card with the level 0 scry, so I don't think it's overly powerful. You can only delay a weakness appearing not make it go away.

Research Librarian looks like a two of in any Seeker deck for a long time.

My problem isnt with getting a card in the bottom. Its with picking at either a player or the encounter deck (that would be the lvl 1 Scrying). It should be either one player or the encounter deck... not choosing which one of those. Even using the card in the own deck would be good enough.

Edited by Kentares

You can't bottom a card with the level 0 scry, so I don't think it's overly powerful. You can only delay a weakness appearing not make it go away.

It takes up a slot, costs an action to draw, an action to play and 3 actions to use. That's a hefty cost so I don't this is too powerful.

Well as a solo LOTR player, I played 2 handed, so I had to create 2 complimentary decks, which would maybe last ok for a couple of scenarios, then I'd have to come up with new strategies for defeating a new scenario, with so many options available, usually multi sphere decks, I found the deckbuilding to be onerous.... Sure you can net deck, and I did quite a bit, but it is much more satisfying to make your own deck. However ultimately, I'd rather be playing the game than building decks - that's just me though!

This game looks lighter on the deckbuilding side. Firstly hopefully the game is well scaled from 1 investigator upward. So I'll only have to build 1 deck, then the deck size is smaller, 30 cards, presumably, the options will be quite limited to start with, options for changing the deck between investigations is limited to experience gained, so can spend more time actually playing the game ;)

Edited by Daft Blazer

Well as a solo LOTR player, I played 2 handed, so I had to create 2 complimentary decks, which would maybe last ok for a couple of scenarios, then I'd have to come up with new strategies for defeating a new scenario, with so many options available, usually multi sphere decks, I found the deckbuilding to be onerous.... Sure you can net deck, and I did quite a bit, but it is much more satisfying to make your own deck. However ultimately, I'd rather be playing the game than building decks - that's just me though!

This game looks lighter on the deckbuilding side. Firstly hopefully the game is well scaled from 1 investigator upward. So I'll only have to build 1 deck, then the deck size is smaller, 30 cards, presumably, the options will be quite limited to start with, options for changing the deck between investigations is limited to experience gained, so can spend more time actually playing the game ;)

I also play LotR solo, but I enjoy building a deck to beat a quest. I don't play two-handed, so can see that being more of a chore.

That said, I'm glad this game is doing it differently. Having now read the deck building article, I like the approach of starting with one deck, and then making small changes to it (with XP) after each scenario. A great way of implementing an RPG element work into the deck building. I will probably play a campaign, and also play some one offs to try out different decks and investigators though.

@ Deck Building Another big difference in this game is how a deck levels up. You are not going to have access to all the player cards like you do in Lotr, only the level 0 cards. You also can't just swap cards from scenerio to scenerio like you can in Lotr, or build completely new decks. I really like how deck construction and leveling up works in this game. It's one of the big draws for me. I also like how adding future level 0 cards to your deck in future building cost experience.

Later in the life of this game I am sure deck construction will take a lot more time, not as long as Lotr, but as the game grows we are going to have access to more and more level 0 cards.

I am mostly looking forward to playing Roland. The guardian seeker combo seams to fit my play style nicely. Having access to cards like magnifying glass and encyclopedia can really help round him out. And his .38 special is solid. And Police badge will be amazing in multiplayer helping the investigators make it through a touch pinch.

I'm also most interested in learning more about Agnes Baker. I am very curious to see more of the Mystic cards and how they work. Because to me, she seams a little behind the other investigators. But that being said, she very well may round out once more of her cards are revealed.

And finally a question on deck building if anyone has found the answer. We know the core heroes are restricted to there class, neutral cards, and there secondary class. We also know after your decks initial construction 0 cost cards cost 1 exp to add level 0 cards. And each white dot is 1 exp cost for the card up to level 5.

My question is, does anyone know if there are restrictions out side of that. Let's say you have to by x amount of level 1 cards before you can buy level 2 and so on? Can you buy a level 5 card let's say with your first purchase or is there a progression?

There is progression. U will can buy levep-up with acumulated experience at end of each scenario.

As far as we know there are no additional rules to upgrading a deck.

My question is, does anyone know if there are restrictions out side of that. Let's say you have to by x amount of level 1 cards before you can buy level 2 and so on? Can you buy a level 5 card let's say with your first purchase or is there a progression?

It looks like not all cards will have all levels of XP upgrade available, so to add a hierarchy of progression may well be overly restrictive and wasteful.

Heck, it was even said in an article that some cards will not even have a level 0 version.

personally i find the 1 experience for level 0 card kind of dumb.

As someone else pointed out in another thread.. what happens when im in the middle of a campaign and a new expansion comes out with some cool cards i want to try. What, i'm suppose to play an entire mission first without my new cards to get more experience before i can swap in my new cards that i just bought and want to use right away? thats kind of bogus.

Now yes i know i can just swap them in and be damned with the requirement but if thats the case.. why have the 1 cost requirement for 0 cards at all? i just don't understand the reason.

I mean the idea is 0 cost cards could of been in the deck from the beginning anyway right?

Edited by PinkTaco

Reason for that, is really simple - it's because you're gearing up for campaign not the current scenario. For example, if you already knew scenario in which you need to protect one location from waves of enemies you could build all of your deck around that. You know that there is not much investigation so why get any investigation cards? And you know what will happen in this situation? Scenario would be too easy and that way - boring. By having a cost of 0 scenario cards game is forcing you to build universal deck instead of specialized one, or risk ,that later that there might be situation in which you will be useless. Also it helps convince people that this isn't heavy deck building game, a problem that many people talk about the lotr lcg game. I wanted to buy lotr lcg, many times but it's emphasis on deck building make me buy something else, every single time.

Edited by soul31

personally i find the 1 experience for level 0 card kind of dumb.

As someone else pointed out in another thread.. what happens when im in the middle of a campaign and a new expansion comes out with some cool cards i want to try. What, i'm suppose to play an entire mission first without my new cards to get more experience before i can swap in my new cards that i just bought and want to use right away? thats kind of bogus.

Now yes i know i can just swap them in and be damned with the requirement but if thats the case.. why have the 1 cost requirement for 0 cards at all? i just don't understand the reason.

I mean the idea is 0 cost cards could of been in the deck from the beginning anyway right?

Maybe don't spend XP until you get the new pack?

Maybe don't spend XP until you get the new pack?

Yep, this is the obvious solution. When you play the last scenario of an expansion, you record your XP. When you buy the next expansion (in that campaign), I would imagine you will be able to buy enough of the new cards to keep the deck new and fresh each time you play.