Deckbuilding Preview

By BD Flory, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

If there is an encounter set that only gets used in the 6,7 and 8 mission and its not in the deluxe set then they would need to put 1 copy of it in each of the respective mythos pack. Would you prefer that?

Fair point :)

Everybody's arguing about having to spend xp to swap in 0 level cards when a new Mythos pack comes out, but we don't even know if 0 level cards will BE in Mythos packs. It's entirely possible that the 0 level cards will only be in the core and the deluxe expansions, and Mythos packs will contain only leveled investigator cards. If the deluxe expansions start the campaign that the Mythos packs continue, there's probably an assumption that you'll have xp going into the Mythos pack scenarios.

And once a campaign is in progress, there doesn't seem to be any functional difference between a card being level 0 or level 1 anyway.

I was wondering if this would be the case. Or at least if the Mythos packs lean more towards higher level cards, with most of the level 0 cards being in the deluxe expansion. It would make sense to do it this way, especially since they have stated that the game is primarily aimed at campaign play.

The thing is there isn't much slots in the deluxe set either. Even if all the cards are lv 0, we will only have 5 per class at the most.

Payment for level zero swaps could result in some frustration. If for example the deck I initially build isn't all that good, I might not realize until I'm a couple of scenarios in, and then I have the choice of either starting again with a new deck or trying to mend the substandard deck over the rest of the campaign. Although on the upside it gives more gravity to the initial deck build, which I think adds to theme. This does however depend on how much a deck can be changed over the course of a campaign. If you're swapping in 2 - 8 cards per scenario It could be a moot point.

Edited by TomPow

I think i heard in the gencon demo video that players can "retreat" if things goes too badly for them. What if we are allowed to retain experience earned from that point so that there is not really a dead end situation.

I think i heard in the gencon demo video that players can "retreat" if things goes too badly for them. What if we are allowed to retain experience earned from that point so that there is not really a dead end situation.

My understanding was that players"withdraw" (I believe that was the term) -- that is, leave the scenario and stop assisting the others in the party -- if their health or sanity drop to zero. In at least one spoiler (Marco wargamer?) we saw a location that allowed players to take a "withdraw action". My guess is that you can use this to avoid trauma if you are badly hurt. You will no longer contribute to the scenario, but you will be in better shape for future scenarios.

If they follow the tropes off RPGs, you would receive XP for what you had accomplished, but nothing for the remainder of the adventure. If all Investigators withdraw, you probably "fail" the scenario. I expect that succeeding a scenario will grant additional XP or similar boons.

Players can withdraw if they think they won't make it through the scenario, due to impending injury/madness, and want to avoid gaining trauma.

We've also seen a location with a withdraw action, this is probably scenario specific. E.g. you are fleeing from dark young through the ever changing arkham woods and cannot withdraw from the game until you reach the exit location.

I think we can all agree one thing, the sooner the rules are posted the better. Get some clarity.

But we already know the rule that's being debated. People are just arguing about whether it's a good rule or not. (And I think knowing the distribution of cards in mythos packs might be useful, but that's a question about the cards, rather than the rules.)

I feel that we don't have the whole picture here. There's still a lot of speculation going on. Until we're given access to the entire loaf, we'll only be arguing/speculating over the scraps from previews/spoilers.

Everybody's arguing about having to spend xp to swap in 0 level cards when a new Mythos pack comes out, but we don't even know if 0 level cards will BE in Mythos packs. It's entirely possible that the 0 level cards will only be in the core and the deluxe expansions, and Mythos packs will contain only leveled investigator cards. If the deluxe expansions start the campaign that the Mythos packs continue, there's probably an assumption that you'll have xp going into the Mythos pack scenarios.

And once a campaign is in progress, there doesn't seem to be any functional difference between a card being level 0 or level 1 anyway.

I was wondering if this would be the case. Or at least if the Mythos packs lean more towards higher level cards, with most of the level 0 cards being in the deluxe expansion. It would make sense to do it this way, especially since they have stated that the game is primarily aimed at campaign play.

The thing is there isn't much slots in the deluxe set either. Even if all the cards are lv 0, we will only have 5 per class at the most.

How much do we really need, though? With such a focus on campaign play for this game, I'm not sure that we really need all that many 0 level cards. Just enough to get started, and then for the rest of the campaign, you'll be gradually replacing them with higher level cards.

The investigators in the core set probably wouldn't mind as much but the ones in the dunwich deluxe set would probably be a little sad.

The investigators in the core set probably wouldn't mind as much but the ones in the dunwich deluxe set would probably be a little sad.

That's true. Although I was already kind of assuming they would gain less as a campaign goes on than the investigators in the core set would, since they're more limited in what they can actually spend experience on.

I think there will be flexibility enough to pick any investigator and start any campaign so that later investigators dont get penalized for being late to the game... :D

Edited by Kentares

I think you guys might be overestimating the length of the campaign. The swapping in and out of cards isn't meant to be for "trying" new stuff--it's meant to tailor your deck per the current campaign situation. In my experience, anyways. We played the first scenario in about an hour, but that was with some rule looking up and such.

We've also seen a location with a withdraw action, this is probably scenario specific. E.g. you are fleeing from dark young through the ever changing arkham woods and cannot withdraw from the game until you reach the exit location.

The text on the card is "There's nothing we can d[o for] them!" You flee from the woods, leaving [...] to its grisly fate. I'd guess that the Main Path is your starting location, and the Resign action is you abandoning whatever search you're on.

With that in mind, I'd expect that the Resign action is always location-specific. You can only abandon the quest if you're at some sort of exit or safehouse; otherwise, you'll need to fight your way to freedom. In the GenCon preview, the investigators are trapped inside their home; nothing on the Act or Agenda cards restricted Resign actions, but it clearly makes no sense for the investigators to run away when there's nowhere to run. The final Act card in the preview (which enters play after the investigators destroy the barrier) added a new location to the game (along with an ally and boss monster); presumably, that location's flip side has the Resign action.

This adds an interesting new wrinkle to the overall campaign strategy. While you can design your deck to be stronger against some scenarios than others, you can't simply throw a match without taking some trauma: You have to at least be strong enough to reach the Resign location. The easier it is to Resign, the worse the consequences are likely to be--Resigning in the first scenario might mean you miss out on some xp and the ally's future support, while Resigning in the last one might mean the destruction of Arkham!

If you could only resign on specific locations then it wouldn't appear on the list of possible investigator actions. I expect some scenarios to prevent resigning except in specific locations.

If you could only resign on specific locations then it wouldn't appear on the list of possible investigator actions. I expect some scenarios to prevent resigning except in specific locations.

Resign is not an action that you can take at any time (just like "Parlay").

Maybe don't spend XP until you get the new pack?

Yep, this is the obvious solution. When you play the last scenario of an expansion, you record your XP. When you buy the next expansion (in that campaign), I would imagine you will be able to buy enough of the new cards to keep the deck new and fresh each time you play.

No, this is a terrible solution. It requires i adjust my play times to the schedule of releases. Lol thats ridiculous.

It seems really, really odd to me that as players we have to adjust our play times/exp spending strategies based on when cards are released. Ive literally never heard of such a thing before. ever. its really, really weird. All of this just kind of continues to enforce that 1 cost level 0 cards is kind of bogus.

Reason for that, is really simple - it's because you're gearing up for campaign not the current scenario. For example, if you already knew scenario in which you need to protect one location from waves of enemies you could build all of your deck around that.

First, this is going to happen after the first run through of a campaign anyway. You are going to know whats coming and are going to build your deck accordingly. And the flip side to that is you arent going to have any clue at all as to whats coming the first time so how can you know what to add and what to take out aside form what simply looks cool.

Second, there shouldnt be anything wrong with side decking in cards to your deck for a scenario you know you are going to have to encounter. Thats kind of the point of card games... you adjust your deck to handle situations. In LotR you pretty much had to redo your entire deck, which was overkill. This game it seems you should only need to swap out a handful of cards. My question is, why the weakest level cards have a cost. It muddies the water when you run into situations like new cards being released etc.

It does not happen for Example in the Pathfinder adventure card game. You can not change cards between games. So it is already tested and working solution to long campaign games!

So I fully support that cost to change even one card in the deck! it is very thematic and forces you to build balanced decks that are ready to many kinds of adventures.

Superb design I have to say!

But this is not normal deckbuilder, this is very different form other Fantasyflighgames lcg games. This is and adventure game with cards, so it works very differently in that aspect.

I like a lot LOTR saga games, I also like a lot Pathfinder Adventures card game. This seems very good addition in that croup.

As others has said above. Allowing free deck upgrades would destroy the game balance in here. We must die horribly in this game ;-)

It does not appear on the list of possible actions. It is simply mentioned in the rules for attacks of opportunity.

The final Act card in the preview (which enters play after the investigators destroy the barrier) added a new location to the game (along with an ally and boss monster); presumably, that location's flip side has the Resign action.

Not presumably. Confirmed.

Parlor - front side

8bY75qC29g8.jpg

Edited by mplain

Hey, that's new to me! Where did that come from?

Team Covenant's GenCon video.

Does anyone have any speculation on what the optimal distribution will be for your decks. I know we haven't seen all the cards in the card pool, just generating conversation that isn't about the ruling behind swapping cards.

What I mean by this is will you take 20 cards from your main trait (Guardian) and 10 from the other (Seeker). Also playing with 4 Investigators how much do you guys think we'll be limited on taking cards from the other investigators main trait. Or with such a limited card pool will we have to just start with mono trait decks.

Team Covenant's GenCon video.

My compliments to whatever sharp-eyed fan grabbed that screenshot; I completely missed that when I watched the video. (Aw, and here I was hoping for some secret cache of spoilers. Oh, well.)

Does anyone have any speculation on what the optimal distribution will be for your decks. I know we haven't seen all the cards in the card pool, just generating conversation that isn't about the ruling behind swapping cards.

What I mean by this is will you take 20 cards from your main trait (Guardian) and 10 from the other (Seeker). Also playing with 4 Investigators how much do you guys think we'll be limited on taking cards from the other investigators main trait. Or with such a limited card pool will we have to just start with mono trait decks.

Bear in mind, you don't have separate resource pools like in LotR (or other LCGs like Star Wars and CoC, for that matter). You can freely build Roland with nothing but Seeker and Neutral cards, if you so desire; the only downside is that his Seeker cards are restricted to low levels. Perhaps, when the card pool has been expanded, we'll see a Daisy build that relies entirely on combos with low-level Mystic and Neutral Tomes. Perhaps, as the campaign progresses, she'll swap in the occasional high-level Seeker card to help dig for the combos; perhaps she'll rely entirely on a large number of level 1-2 cards. For the time being, we'll have to wait and see.

(As for what's immediately available, we already know the suggested default decks include a combination of primary class, secondary class, and neutral cards. I don't think mono-trait is viable with just one core, though obviously it will be once Dunwich Legacy comes out.)

My compliments to whatever sharp-eyed fan grabbed that screenshot; I completely missed that when I watched the video. (Aw, and here I was hoping for some secret cache of spoilers. Oh, well.)

If you look close enough, you can even see the back side of the second agenda card ;)

Edited by mplain

(As for what's immediately available, we already know the suggested default decks include a combination of primary class, secondary class, and neutral cards. I don't think mono-trait is viable with just one core, though obviously it will be once Dunwich Legacy comes out.)

I was more Curious about playing with 4 Investigators and 2 Core sets and if the players would have enough variety in deck building without limiting each others choices. Unless they include sample decks for all investigators which I doubt. I'm sure within play groups you'd divvy up what makes sense with each investigator. Obviously well have to wait and see all the cards before strategizing and optimizing. Was just curious what peoples thoughts were. :)

I intend to play with 4 players using 2 cores as well. The other 3 players wouldn't be familiar with the game though so i would just use the suggested decks for everyone including myself.

FFG suggested deck seems to be quite simple, All 10 from main class, 10 from sub class, 2 copies of the 3 neutral asset/event and 2 copies of 2 skills which would be helpful for the class.