Of Great and Terrible Things

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Eyes widening ever so slightly at the unexpected question, Ariel exchanges a brief glance with her companion before her attention snaps back to the armsman, attempting to preserve face.

"We ... were taken in at a very young age. We did not see much of the outside", she replies, half telling the truth before she recalls Balthazar's earlier story. "But people there are very concerned about the fate of the mortal shells we leave behind when joining the Emperor's side. As you might expect."

The girl did her best to hide the beginnings of a smug smile forming at the sides of her mouth, a little proud of having made up a response that ought to satisfy the armsman's curiosity without threatening to dislodge the cover story Father Thorne had prepared for them. This must be what it is like as a Sister of the Orders Sabine, she thought.

Estelia blinks when the armsman asked his question. She has never been to Thaur. She is trying to think of what to say when Ariel speaks up. She blinks again. While not an outright lie, it did not change that they have never been to Thaur. She realizes the other Novice has stopped talking. She knows she should say something . . . Estelia nods in agreement with Ariel, "and the cathedral services are quite something."

Again not an outright lie; the services in a cathedral that Estelia had been to had been quite inspiring, but they had taken place on Ophelia VII, not on Thaur, but there had to be at least one cathedral on Thaur.

Balthazar chuckles and replies, "I trust they will take good care of my staff. They are both very capable girls, and I know that despite their young age their faith is beyond reproach." He silently hopes that their faith will remain strong throughout their coming trials, for they will all surely need it.

He then leans forward, placing his hands on the table and fixing Confessor Konrad with a stern gaze. All humor is gone from his demeanor, and he speaks in a low, serious tone. "I am here because of a recent incident at Skydock 4/4. For reasons unknown to my associates and myself, the dock shut down without warning some months ago, and accessing the site is now very difficult. I intend to enter the Skydock and figure out what transpired.

"Perhaps even more importantly, there are likely relics of significance within the Skydock chapel. It sounds as though the station was abandoned in haste, and any items under the care of the attendant priests will have been left to languish in those darkened halls. Naturally, this is a sorry situation for any items blessed by His light, and I intend to bring them back to the orbital where they will be properly revered." This is all technically true; Balthazar believes that there may indeed be relics of significance in a place frequented by influential people, and recovering those relics will be a priority while he is on board the station.

Edited by Covered in Weasels

Balthazar chuckles and replies, "I trust they will take good care of my staff. They are both very capable girls, and I know that despite their young age their faith is beyond reproach." He silently hopes that their faith will remain strong throughout their coming trials, for they will all surely need it.

He then leans forward, placing his hands on the table and fixing Confessor Konrad with a stern gaze. All humor is gone from his demeanor, and he speaks in a low, serious tone. "I am here because of a recent incident at ((the Skydock, will check the name later)). For reasons unknown to my associates and myself, the dock shut down without warning some months ago, and accessing the site is now very difficult. I intend to enter the Skydock and figure out what transpired.

"Perhaps even more importantly, there are likely relics of significance within the Skydock chapel. It sounds add though the station was abandoned in haste, and any items under the care of the attendant priests will have been left to languish in those darkened halls. Naturally, this is a sorry situation for any items blessed by His light, and I intend to bring them back to the orbital where they will be properly revered." This is all technically true; Balthazar believes that there may indeed be relics of significance in a place frequented by influential people, and recovering those relics will be a priority while he is on board the station.

Confessor Konrad nods, "No one's faith is beyond weakness, otherwise I would be out of the job."

Konrad's eyebrows raise slightly at the seriousness of Balthazar's change in disposition, "Skydock 4/4 has been shutdown for a number of years Father, I'm not sure your information in that regard was very well founded. 50 years or so now that I remember."

He looks around again as if someone might be listening in, "Not only that, but the Skydock has been active these days, unofficially, again. Entering it will be no easy task as you say. It belongs to some Consortium noble family as I understand it. What exactly do you think I can do about this?"

"We ... were taken in at a very young age. We did not see much of the outside", she replies, half telling the truth before she recalls Balthazar's earlier story. "But people there are very concerned about the fate of the mortal shells we leave behind when joining the Emperor's side. As you might expect."

Estelia nods in agreement with Ariel, "and the cathedral services are quite something."

*static* "Right, I feel the same way sometimes, we don't get leave often on the station. Even then we rarely get clearance to go down to Port Gyre. What sect did you belong to?" *static*

Estelia tries to keep a straight face, but her eyes widen imperceptibly at the armsman's question. Before she realizes what she is doing, the Novice turns her head to look at Ariel.

Reflexively stiffening a little, Ariel tried to maintain her calm expression as best as possible. Like most Sororitas, she was a bad liar, being raised on the principles of honesty and humility. Fortunately, her chocolate skin served her well in hiding the slight discolouration of her cheeks and ears as she felt the blood rushing into her head and her skin heating up.

Already feeling conflicted about what she had to do, and resolving to confess to Sister Superior Inelia at the next possible opportunity, she now feared the threat of exposure not only of their true mission but her lies as well. Fortunately, the young novice had sufficient presence of mind to catch herself before saying anything stupid, or letting her momentary hesitation turn into an awkward pause. The armsman could not possibly be from Thaur himself, could he? Why else would he have inquired about the world's customs? And if he wasn't from there to begin with, how could he knew all the details about any local sects?

"Um", she began, trying to ignore the dry feeling in her throat. "The Ophelian. You probably never heard of it."

"It has really been out of commission for that long? And the Consortium is only now beginning to use it once more... A very unusual set of circumstances. I came to you not because of your position of authority, but rather because of your staunch faith in the Emperor. We are new arrivals to this installation, and a man in your position likely will know who can be trusted."

"It has really been out of commission for that long? And the Consortium is only now beginning to use it once more... A very unusual set of circumstances. I came to you not because of your position of authority, but rather because of your staunch faith in the Emperor. We are new arrivals to this installation, and a man in your position likely will know who can be trusted."

"If my knowledge of our faith has taught me anything father, it is that no one can be truly trusted save the Emperor himself, and by extention the High Lords...well, sometimes." He states with a blank face.

"But yes, it's been closed that long, and I'm not sure the entire group of the Consortium is using it, just a singular family that bought the rights to it." ((Is Thorne faking ignorance? I thought I explained most of this in Inellia's briefing.))

He crosses his hands together, "But as I asked before what would you ask of me? If you trust me and not the naval armsmen that I oversee then it must be something grave."

Estelia tries to keep a straight face, but her eyes widen imperceptibly at the armsman's question. Before she realizes what she is doing, the Novice turns her head to look at Ariel.

"Um", she began, trying to ignore the dry feeling in her throat. "The Ophelian. You probably never heard of it."

((Pfft, I just can't stop thinking of space hipster soroitas now.))

*Static* "Oh yeah? What's their whole deal? I mean we only get Father Octavius' brand of the creed, not that it doesn't suffice, but with all the travelers that come through here you pick up scraps of differences here and there." *Static*

((Grrr! Sorry I forgot to do this earlier!))

Estelia tries not to look surprised by Ariel's response, hoping her face does not show the uncertainty and discomfort she feels. The Novice remains silent and waits for Ariel to answer the armsman' question.

Exchanging a glance with her fellow novice, Ariel hesitated perhaps a heartbeat too long, as if desperately hoping Estelia might jump in and use that at-times impertinent mouth of hers to help salvage the situation. It dawned, however, that the other girl was just as overwhelmed by her response as she was at the armsman's question.

"We, ah, tend to pursue our tasks in isolation", she finally retorted. Again, not a lie, though Ariel could not shake that nagging feeling in her gut. "We rarely leave the convent so as to better shield our purity from the corruption of the outside world, except of course if warranted by our duties. Some of us follow the winding paths of study, others become potent ho-.. hea lers." The girl bit her tongue, hoping to gloss over her terminologic faux-pas by using her shotgun to gesture towards Estelia, adding: "Sometimes, we train as fighters, too. After all, the One True Faith is a warrior cult."

Perhaps a bit too quickly, she added a question herself, attempting to deflect further inquiry from the two of them: "And how did you end up here?"

Balthazar frowns and strokes his beard, shifting his weight to one side as he ponders the priest's words. He had feigned ignorance to see how much Konrad knew about the situation at Skydock 4/4. Unfortunately it appears he doesn't know any more than the Acolytes.

After a moment of contemplation, Balthazar speaks. "I had hoped you could shed some light on the matter, but it appears we are both unaware of the Skydock's true situation and the plans of its new masters. But I hope that you might know of a trustworthy soul who may have more inside knowledge. Do you know where I could find someone who may be of assistance?"

((Basically I'm looking for possible lines of inquiry to continue the investigation, maybe Konrad knows someone who has the info we're looking for))

Estelia tries not to look surprised by Ariel's response, hoping her face does not show the uncertainty and discomfort she feels. The Novice remains silent and waits for Ariel to answer the armsman' question.

"We, ah, tend to pursue our tasks in isolation", she finally retorted. Again, not a lie, though Ariel could not shake that nagging feeling in her gut. "We rarely leave the convent so as to better shield our purity from the corruption of the outside world, except of course if warranted by our duties. Some of us follow the winding paths of study, others become potent ho-.. hea lers." The girl bit her tongue, hoping to gloss over her terminologic faux-pas by using her shotgun to gesture towards Estelia, adding: "Sometimes, we train as fighters, too. After all, the One True Faith is a warrior cult."

Perhaps a bit too quickly, she added a question herself, attempting to deflect further inquiry from the two of them: "And how did you end up here?"

*static* "Oh, you know, same as anyone really. I was born in Desoleum and figured the Navy had better chances of survival than getting in a gang. They didn't need the navy anywhere else at the time when they were posting me so I got assigned to the Skydock. *static*

The armsman inclines their head to Ariela turning their head in a quizzical manner, *static* "Are you ok? You seem a bit...nervous." *static*

Balthazar frowns and strokes his beard, shifting his weight to one side as he ponders the priest's words. He had feigned ignorance to see how much Konrad knew about the situation at Skydock 4/4. Unfortunately it appears he doesn't know any more than the Acolytes.

After a moment of contemplation, Balthazar speaks. "I had hoped you could shed some light on the matter, but it appears we are both unaware of the Skydock's true situation and the plans of its new masters. But I hope that you might know of a trustworthy soul who may have more inside knowledge. Do you know where I could find someone who may be of assistance?"

((Basically I'm looking for possible lines of inquiry to continue the investigation, maybe Konrad knows someone who has the info we're looking for))

Konrad nods, "I can safely say that only the Consortium knows the business of the noble families that make it up. They take great measures to ensure that." He glances sidelong again, "Some even say they take more...extreme measures."

"But as for the plans of who holds control of it now? Who can say, it is the business nobles, not of the navy nor the ecclesiarchy. Perhaps someone that works in Port Gyre may be able to help you navigate the labyrinth that is Consortium bylaws and trade agreements."

The armsman inclines their head to Ariel turning their head in a quizzical manner, *static* "Are you ok? You seem a bit...nervous." *static*

The novice strengthens her grip around the heavy shotgun in her hands, its muzzle twitching ever so slightly at the armsman's observation. Still, Ariel seems intent on keeping up her act.

"As I said, we usually do not travel much. This is our first visit to Desoleum, and ...", she muses, now considering to turn his question into helpful advice, "... perhaps a bit unsure as to what could await us here in the outside world. Is there something we should be aware of, something which has perhaps escaped Father Balthazar's wisdom or he may neglected to mention?"

Edited by Lynata

Estelia does her best to nod in agreement with Ariel, "It is a long way from the Convent, and the people here are strange to us." Hopefully she can take some of the armsman's attention off of the other Novice, though Estelia is not sure she wants the attention. Again she shifts her weight from one foot to the other nervously.

Balthazar listens intently, his eyes narrowing slightly at the mention of the Consortium's use of extreme measures. He had met certain cult leaders who used "extreme measures" to keep their deviant practices hidden from the faithful. Their methods worked for a time, but the families of the unjustly slain always sought vengeance. Balthazar lead them into battle and directed their rage to grant them the revenge they so desperately wanted, and given the opportunity he would gladly do so again.

After Konrad finishes speaking, Balthazar nods in agreement. "In that case, I should continue my inquiry at Port Gyre's Administratum enclave."

((Roll Scholastic Lore (Administratum) test?))

((Roll Scholastic Lore (Administratum) test?))

((Go for it; the roll is technically Scholastic Lore (Bureaucracy) and take a +10 modifier. What in particular are you looking to learn?))

((Balthazar might know something about the inner workings if the Administratu. Specifically, who to speak with regarding the Consortium's activities. Target number is 40+10=50. Rolled a 92 for 4DoF.))

Balthazar is not familiar with Administratum practices in Port Gyre, so he has no idea where to start his search. "Konrad, do you know who would be responsible for tracking the Consortium's business dealings? Perhaps they could be of help in this situation."

"As I said, we usually do not travel much. This is our first visit to Desoleum, and ...", she muses, now considering to turn his question into helpful advice, "... perhaps a bit unsure as to what could await us here in the outside world. Is there something we should be aware of, something which has perhaps escaped Father Balthazar's wisdom or he may neglected to mention?"

Estelia does her best to nod in agreement with Ariel, "It is a long way from the Convent, and the people here are strange to us." Hopefully she can take some of the armsman's attention off of the other Novice, though Estelia is not sure she wants the attention. Again she shifts her weight from one foot to the other nervously.

((At this point I'm giving the armsman a Scrutiny test to see if you're being genuine. +0 as you're strangers. Rolled 81, so very much no.))

The armsman nods taking the explanation at face value seemingly, *static* "Desoleum's not much different than anywhere else I'd have to guess. Maybe I can help put you at ease by answering any questions about you might have?" *static*

((Balthazar might know something about the inner workings if the Administratu. Specifically, who to speak with regarding the Consortium's activities. Target number is 40+10=50. Rolled a 92 for 4DoF.))

Balthazar is not familiar with Administratum practices in Port Gyre, so he has no idea where to start his search. "Konrad, do you know who would be responsible for tracking the Consortium's business dealings? Perhaps they could be of help in this situation."

Konrad scratches his chin pondering, "Hmm, let me see if I still have anything in my records." he searches around in his desk.

"I tend to try and keep up on such things because of the tradespeople that come through security, just to keep myself abreast of developments...well that and for when my charges are given leave to get down to the Port."

He pulls out a small ledger and nods approvingly, "It would seem that I have found it, but first Father Thorne. What is this truly about? Even I can see the strangeness in a lone clergyman searching out relics that are decades old at this point. Not to mention the head of security here has been pulling his hair out all morning over something, and you're the only strangeness I've seen all day."

((He rolls a charm, +10 because of Peer (Ecclesiarcy), Rolled 42 only 1 DoS. As a reminder you're no way inclined to be charmed by this I'm just giving you the results.))

Once again Ariel looks to the other girl as if seeking inspiration or support. She has never considered herself very talkative - an assessment she'd reserve for Estelia - yet her sense of duty compelled her into action, maintaining both their cover as well as, if at all possible, acquiring information on how to improve on it.

"Is it not true that the Emperor's worlds all maintain some sort of local custom? We have already learned of the cog iconography so prevalent for your people, but perhaps there is more. Oh, and are there places one should best not linger, or people to watch out for?"

The young operative tried her best to produce a smile, a somewhat unusual and thus difficult expression for the somber novice. "After all, the last thing we want to do is cause any unnecessary trouble."

Again not a lie, technically.

The Novice tries very had not to stare at Ariel. She never strung more than a dozen or so words together at once unless she had to, or at least it seemed so to Estelia. She should really say something more. Ariel kept glancing at her, and she knew what the girl meant . . . but even so, Estelia had hardly thought about the world outside the Convent beyond what had come before her eyes. She did not know about dangerous places and . . . well, there was something she could ask, and once she considered it, she was curious.

"If you don't mind, how are the armed forced in the system organized? Are all the organized . . . military forces Navy and security personal, or does the Imperial Guard have men stationed in-system?"

Pausing to try and recall what she had learned at the Schola where she was raised, Estelia adds, "I suppose Desolatum has a PDF,as well."

Balthazar nods and replies, "I am genuinely interested in the relics, but that is not my sole purpose here. I heard that the Consortium had begun using the Skydock again from other sources, and the circumstances seemed very unusual. Such a place would serve as an ideal front for some sort of criminal enterprise, and I would like to ensure that everything is legitimate and serves the will of the Emperor.

"What has been bothering the chief of security? You said he seemed concerned about something -- is he prone to worry about things constantly, or is this unusual for him?"

"Is it not true that the Emperor's worlds all maintain some sort of local custom? We have already learned of the cog iconography so prevalent for your people, but perhaps there is more. Oh, and are there places one should best not linger, or people to watch out for?"

The young operative tried her best to produce a smile, a somewhat unusual and thus difficult expression for the somber novice. "After all, the last thing we want to do is cause any unnecessary trouble."

*static* "well with any hive world you're gonna find some common customs, but other than our oath cogs I can't think of anything that stands out. As for staying away? Well the underhive as usual, and we have a space below the underhive you should probably stay away from. Even in the mid hive we have some gang activity, but if you leave them alone they tend not to bother official looking people." *static*

"If you don't mind, how are the armed forced in the system organized? Are all the organized . . . military forces Navy and security personal, or does the Imperial Guard have men stationed in-system?"

Pausing to try and recall what she had learned at the Schola where she was raised, Estelia adds, "I suppose Desolatum has a PDF,as well."

*static* "Well on Desoleum we have a standing guard regiment called the Involute Cadre, they deal primarily with demolitions, and the Imperial Navy will either conscript or recruit on occasion. We don't really have a PDF per say, but we have a group called the Sanctionaries. They'll protect you...as long as it's in the Consortium's interest." *static*

Balthazar nods and replies, "I am genuinely interested in the relics, but that is not my sole purpose here. I heard that the Consortium had begun using the Skydock again from other sources, and the circumstances seemed very unusual. Such a place would serve as an ideal front for some sort of criminal enterprise, and I would like to ensure that everything is legitimate and serves the will of the Emperor.

"What has been bothering the chief of security? You said he seemed concerned about something -- is he prone to worry about things constantly, or is this unusual for him?"

"And again, that doesn't really explain why a clergyman would be investigating it with two apprentices...although now that I consider it they maybe be more than that. I thought it odd the one of them did perform the rite."

Konrad quirks an eyebrow at you and waves his hand dismissively.

"And the security head is bothered by...well you primarily, or at least whoever you met with," Konrad looks at you piercingly, "Everything about whatever you did this morning has had him blustered. Something about it being above his clearance. He's good at his job, that's why he's worried about something out of the ordinary that isn't the usual run of contraband trying to be gotten down to Port Gyre or taken up from there through here."

With a grimace, Estelia responds, "The primary interest of all mankind is the preservation and expansion of the Emperor's domain. To think otherwise . . . "

The Novice glances at Ariel. She hopes she hasn't said anything to ruin their disguises, but she can't think of anything she said that would.

Ariel seems to have had a similar thought just as the other novice looked at her. Fortunately for the two girls and despite their fears, a worldview of this sort should probably not be limited to only scions of the Emperor's own schools, but also be somewhat ordinary for any sort of believer in the Imperial Cult -- such as two young pilgrims from a non-existing Thaurian sect.

Deciding to play it safe, the chocolate-skinned Sororitas resorted to another question, though it was of some relevance to her interests either way.

"What is below the underhive? I thought this term would refer to everything .. well, under a hive."