Of Great and Terrible Things

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Estelia is perturbed when the Guardsman does not wait for her to return the sign of the Aquila to him. She gives it to his back as he leaves anyway, before following the others into the Security chief's office.

The Novice scans the chamber as they enter. She knows almost nothing about the machines she sees, but the room contains more cogitators than she has ever seen in one place, though she recognizes the incense for a smell that tends to cling to tech priests even when they are not working. She waits for Father Thorne to take the lead.

Ariel allows herself to relax ever so slightly as the perceived if unwanted threat seems to have been deescalated. The heavy shotgun serving as an excuse to refrain from returning the Sign, the novice instead inclines her head, but not without shooting Estelia another disapproving glance.

Entering what must be the security station's nerve center, Ariel's brooding mannerism is quickly replaced by controlled curiosity as her gaze begins to wander about the place, albeit ever staying close to the priest and keeping her head pointed towards his direction as best as possible, as if this was enough to mask her slipping attention. Fortunately, this lapse does not last long, as the unusually eloquent servitor - was it truly a servitor? - approached them and broke the monotone ambient noise of beeps and clicks by loudly proclaiming its intentions, immediately drawing her eyes towards itself.

Balthazar is not used to conversing with servitors, especially not models as sophisticated as this. Thaur is a relatively low-tech world, and tech-priests and their servitor minions are an uncommon sight. Most citizens are more accustomed to horses and torchlight than autocarriages and lumen-globes. Balthazar had encountered servitors more than most during his vigils over ancient crypt-complexes, but their precise movements and soulles eyes still unsettled him.

Nevertheless, he returns the aide's surprisingly articulate greeting. "Greetings, ah... sir? I look forward to meeting the honorable Head Security Officer. Please, lead the way."

Nevertheless, he returns the aide's surprisingly articulate greeting. "Greetings, ah... sir? I look forward to meeting the honorable Head Security Officer. Please, lead the way."

The servitor bows slightly, not a fluid motion but an ingrained straight slightly jerky motion, and turns around leading the group towards the back area with the large chair. It leads them around and they see a nerve center of cogitators with white screens.

The chair turns around and they see the man we saw earlier, only he is wearing a pair of tinted glasses.

"So you're the ones causing so much of a fuss on my station." He provides a sign of the aquila to the father, not having much heart in it, and doesn't pass a glance to the two sisters.

He remains silent and waits for a response.

Stopping one or two steps in Balthazar's rear, Ariel apparently does not mind to be ignored, or may have even expected it. Though she will speak up if intervention seems prudent, the novice is all too happy to keep a low profile, believing in the advantage of being underestimated. It was a weird notion, perhaps, considering that the security officer should have been an ally, but the girl's behaviour had served her well in the convent, too, not to mention that - from what they'd been told - on this mission, none were beyond suspicion.

For the moment she simply bowed silently, refraining from speaking, but paying attention to what the others would say.

Estelia returns the Chief's sign of the Aquila habitually, wondering what trouble they had caused. She couldn't think of anything, though she recalls thinking the same thing many times - up until the Siser Superior assigned her (and often Ariel) a penance vigil.

The man's appearance strikes Estelia as rather odd; quite different from that of the Priests and Abbots of the Ministorum. In any case, she is curious to see what the Choef has to say, and waits quietly beside Ariel.

Balthazar returns the sign of the Aquila. "Hello, Officer Lemont, and thank you for this audience. I am Balthazar Thorne, priest of the Adeptus Ministorum and servant of the Emperor, and these are my assistants, Estelia and Ariel."

Balthazar does not spend more time on formalities, as Lemont doesn't seem like he would appreciate them. "We are new arrivals to your station, though we did not intend to cause any disruption to you and your men. What seems to be the problem?"

((Is this room occupied by anyone else besides Lemont, the servitor and ourselves? Depending on how Lemont responds, I may say some things that I really don't want anyone else to hear :P ))

For the moment she simply bowed silently, refraining from speaking, but paying attention to what the others would say.

In any case, she is curious to see what the Choef has to say, and waits quietly beside Ariel.

Balthazar returns the sign of the Aquila. "Hello, Officer Lemont, and thank you for this audience. I am Balthazar Thorne, priest of the Adeptus Ministorum and servant of the Emperor, and these are my assistants, Estelia and Ariel."

Balthazar does not spend more time on formalities, as Lemont doesn't seem like he would appreciate them. "We are new arrivals to your station, though we did not intend to cause any disruption to you and your men. What seems to be the problem?"

((Is this room occupied by anyone else besides Lemont, the servitor and ourselves? Depending on how Lemont responds, I may say some things that I really don't want anyone else to hear :P ))

((This area is sectioned off, you don't see anyone besides the aide and the chief of security, you may make an Awareness test at -10 to try and notice anything about the area if you'd like.))

"What seems to be the problem?" he almost seems hurt by the question in some manner, "The problem is you. Your existence on this station is the greater part of some enigma that I am not allowed even a hint of. As soon as I mention anything I am denied the avenue of pursuit."

He moves his neck and it makes a cracking noise but doesn't move anything else.

"Who are you? Yes I know your names, I know the ship you came in on, but who are you? Why are you here? When are you getting off my station so you are no longer an issue I need to spend resources on?" He states very plainly.

((The Awareness Test would only have a 5% chance to succeed -- but sure, I'll take it as part of a routine glance-around when entering the room. Can you roll for me?))

Ariel pursed her lips at the officer's accusation, then took a step forward to close up to Balthazar.

"If you already know you are denied knowledge by your superiors, then you should know there is no need to spend any resources on our presence at all."

Apparently, the novice had decided to drop the act. The security chief's data probes being blocked meant that their cover - which apparently was not so much an alias as a disturbingly blatant seal, as if simply denying access would not raise even more suspicion - was of no value when dealing with this person.

((The Awareness Test would only have a 5% chance to succeed -- but sure, I'll take it as part of a routine glance-around when entering the room. Can you roll for me?))

((94 was the result, so not so much lol.))

((I'm know I keep saying this, but I feel pretty stupid for not posting sooner))

Estelia raises her eyebrows when Ariel speaks. Usually Ariel was telling her to have more respect for her superiors, but she appreciated the other Novice's direct approach. Although she has nothing to add herself, Estelia moves forward with Ariel, keeping beside her without really thinking.

Balthazar stands shoulder to shoulder with the Novices with the slightest hint of a smile on his face. "Well said, Ariel. Officer Lemont, we are visiting this planet under orders from the highest possible authority; we answer to people who serve none but the God-Emperor Himself. We are not here to disrupt the peace on your station, but rather to ensure that it stays intact.

"Today, you and I have the unique and fortuitous opportunity to solve each other's problems. There is no longer any need to waste valuable man-hours investigating us. Your office can instead spend its resources on maintaining its vigil over Port Gyre. Thank you for your thoroughness in screening visitors to the station. Your diligence is commendable, and your efforts to keep this station's residents safe will not go unnoticed.

"Your position as Chief Security Officer gives you singular insight into events in this station, and this insight will be very useful in our investigation. We want to collaborate with you to stop a new potential threat before it can cause any real damage." Balthazar's voice begins to take on the same rousing, fiery tone he uses in his sermons, and strides slowly but purposefully towards Lemont. "Everyone in this room wants Port Gyre to remain safe, but certain seditious elements in the station seek to ruin that safety. I, for one, will not accept that outcome and will do everything in my power to preserve the Emperor's realm.

"Officer Lemont, are you a man of loyalty and conviction as well?" Balthazar extends his hand, palm open in an invitation.

Estelia raises her eyebrows when Ariel speaks. Usually Ariel was telling her to have more respect for her superiors, but she appreciated the other Novice's direct approach. Although she has nothing to add herself, Estelia moves forward with Ariel, keeping beside her without really thinking.

"If you already know you are denied knowledge by your superiors, then you should know there is no need to spend any resources on our presence at all."

Lemont takes a moment to survey Ariel, "What kind of cleric's servant carries around an Arbite pattern III Lawbringer? There is knowledge barred to me for right and just reasons, and then there is knowledge hidden from me to obfuscate the truth. The line is infinitesimal most times at best, and I was not elevated to this position by my superiors for an inability to discern the difference. Assistant." He huffs air out in a haughty *pfft* and you may only assume that he is rolling his eyes behind the glasses.

"Officer Lemont, are you a man of loyalty and conviction as well?" Balthazar extends his hand, palm open in an invitation.

Lemont surveys the father even more piercingly than he did Ariel, he cautiously extends his hand, but returns with, "Honestly think about that question for a second. If I was not a man of loyalty or conviction why would my answer be any different than if I was? As I mentioned, it is not my place to know the entirety of events, merely enough to understand what is going on and get you off this station and out of my hair. So, with that," He nods slightly to the servitor and it activates some device by pressing it's wrist.

The background noise of the secluded area vanishes, it is distinctly quiet here.

Lemont looks down, and intones softly almost subvocally, "Speak quietly and toward the ground. I'd turn on the static generator and signal jammer, but I don't think we're in that much peril...yet. Quickly now, the strummer will only last 20 minutes before my aide needs to recharge it. Speak too loudly and it will be of no use. Yes I do think we'll be listened to otherwise, someone is always listening. No that's not paranoid it's competent."

Estelia almost jumps when the servitor activates the strummer and she realizes she had been tapping the fingers of one hand on her pistol when the sound is cut out. She quickly puts her hand back at her side. The security chief is certainly an odd fellow. Estelia is not sure how much Father Thorne intends to tell the man, so she keeps silent for the moment.

((I want to see what Father Thorne says before deciding if Esteliahas anything she wants to add))

The chastised novice stiffens slightly under the officer's accusations. Lemont's question hit closer to home than he himself was aware of. Though she felt compelled to come up with some sort of justification or excuse, Ariel was held back by a lingering unwillingness to betray her origin by more than a 'white lie'.

Instead, the dark-skinned girl tensed up and bite back a reply, fingers closing tighter around the heavy shotgun as she felt her cheeks blushing.

Fortunately, the priest seemed to have taken over negotiations, and he was undoubtedly more adept at diplomacy than two scions of the Emperor's orphanages, rather unused to interacting with the public.

Balthazar appreciates Lemont's precautions; after all, a suspicious mind is a healthy mind. He leans in a little closer and begins to speak in a low voice.

"We're investigating the facility known as Skydock 4-4; I'm sure you are familiar with the place. Some reports say that there may be activity on the Skydock, despite it being officially sealed for many years. We want to find out what exactly is going on at the Skydock, and if any unsavory business is present we want to find who is responsible. We don't know much yet, but it is possible that members of powerful merchant families are involved. A supposedly abandoned station could provide cover for a wide range of heroically commerce or practices.

"Do you know anything more about the Skydock or recent activity around the station?"

Estelia almost jumps when the servitor activates the strummer and she realizes she had been tapping the fingers of one hand on her pistol when the sound is cut out. She quickly puts her hand back at her side. The security chief is certainly an odd fellow. Estelia is not sure how much Father Thorne intends to tell the man, so she keeps silent for the moment.

Fortunately, the priest seemed to have taken over negotiations, and he was undoubtedly more adept at diplomacy than two scions of the Emperor's orphanages, rather unused to interacting with the public.

"We're investigating the facility known as Skydock 4-4; I'm sure you are familiar with the place. Some reports say that there may be activity on the Skydock, despite it being officially sealed for many years. We want to find out what exactly is going on at the Skydock, and if any unsavory business is present we want to find who is responsible. We don't know much yet, but it is possible that members of powerful merchant families are involved. A supposedly abandoned station could provide cover for a wide range of heroically commerce or practices.

"Do you know anything more about the Skydock or recent activity around the station?"

Lemont's brow furrows, "Skydock 4/4...yes, I'd heard inklings about it's reactivation. Nothing overly concrete, just some activity and a few shuttles here and there. Thought it was treasure hunters honestly. I've already got one station to look after, I don't need another. Nothing really more than rumors..."

He turns to the array of monitors and intones a small machine cant as he types. The screens of the monitors don't change.

"According to available records, some minor noble travel to Port Gyre for the purpose of visiting the other Skydock once they've made planet fall. An interrogation on file saying that they were invited by another group, no mention of who, they pulled diplomatic immunity at the time, and for some reason the guard thought that was acceptable. They were flogged publicly as a result."

He intones another cant and brings up a picture that is now viewable on the screens, It's fuzzy but seems to be a handkerchief of a particular shade of blue.

"That was the invitation, at least they said it was. Wasn't sure what to make of it honestly."

He turns around in his chair back to the group, "Perhaps if you explained a bit more about what you knew I'd be able to help further? Or asked me something a bit more specific."

Estelia squints at the screen, trying to make out more of the image. "Why blue? Is there anything special about that particular shade?"

((Rolled a Lore check to see if Balthazar knows anything about this custom. Got a 90, so he clearly doesn't.))

Balthazar responds as well: "Who were these nobles, exactly? Were your men able to record their identification when they claimed immunity?"

"Why blue? Is there anything special about that particular shade?"

Lemont looks at you, since you've spoken for the first time, and seems impressed, "By the throne an intelligent question. Don't know why blue nor the shade, never been one for symbolism. I know that it's not common on Desoleum. The Consortium orders it on occasion, or someone or group acting through the Consortium's protection. I'd assume asking around Port Gyre might get you some better answers."

"Who were these nobles, exactly? Were your men able to record their identification when they claimed immunity?"

Lemont shakes his head, "Just petty nobles, in system as I understand it. No one too important." He turns back to the computer, and you notice that the picture remains up but Lemont is typing elsewhere, "One, Lady Rosalind Novianna still hasn't come back through Kappex from her trip."

Ariel steps closer to the terminal in an obvious attempt to get a better look at the monitors, first and foremost - albeit not exclusively - the pict of Lady Rosalind, perhaps moving uncomfortably close to the officer's back in the process.

"It may be prudent to load an effigiatus of this image to our own archives", she suggests, turning her head to Balthazar and Estelia. "If we end up looking for her."

Turning back to Lemont, she adds: "And what about this guard -- would it be possible for us to talk to them? Given the circumstances I believe we'd be interested in this .. 'some' reason."

As before, and as she always has (well, except when advancing alone through a live-fire drill with Ariel yelling at her to stay in cover "like they were ordered to," but that hardly counted) Estelia stays with Ariel without thinking; if she had, she might have noticed how close they were to the security chief. She remains silent while the other Novice voices her query, though she nods her assent.

"So you're saying that this Lady Rosalind Novianna went to the Skydock but never returned? How could we find any relatives of hers? They might be able to provide some insight into the situation."

Turning back to Lemont, she adds: "And what about this guard -- would it be possible for us to talk to them? Given the circumstances I believe we'd be interested in this .. 'some' reason."

Lemont tenses visibly uncomfortable with how close you are to him, "They...were rotated out of duty on Kappex Orbital unfortunately. According to the records."

Estelia stays with Ariel without thinking; if she had, she might have noticed how close they were to the security chief. She remains silent while the other Novice voices her query, though she nods her assent.

As Estelia approaches with Ariel Lemont tenses tighter still and grimaces.

"So you're saying that this Lady Rosalind Novianna went to the Skydock but never returned? How could we find any relatives of hers? They might be able to provide some insight into the situation."

Lemont snaps, "NO! That ISN'T what I said, she went off Kappex down to Gyre, stated her business was to go to the Skydock and that she hasn't returned through Kappex! How the BLOODY THRONE am I supposed to know how to find her, or if she made it to the Skydock in the first place?"

He is gripping his chair very tightly with his left hand and huffs in short breaths.

((Sorry I've been trying to figure out how to react here))

Estelia blinks as she the chief tenses up. It is not respectful to stand so close to one's superiors, outside perhaps a combat situation, and no one is shooting yet. The Novice backs up a pace. After a few seconds, she tugs lightly on Ariel's shoulder, trying to get her to follow suit.