Of Great and Terrible Things

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Balthazar waits calmly for the door to open, but he does remove his hammer from its sling on his back. He holds it as one would hold a walking stick, but he is ready to use it if necessary. He doesn't show it, but he is uneasy at hearing new voices in the room of their superior.

In any case, she will not know they are here if they just wait, so Estelia moves forward and knocks on the door, then steps back a pace, hands at her sides.

Considering to clarify the source of her displeasure by pointing out Estelia's rash action, she ultimately decides to just shoot her a glare and shake her head before stepping back to a similar distance, briefly hefting the weight of the heavy shotgun now held in both hands again.

Someone with very good ears might notice a sound of exhaled air.

Balthazar waits calmly for the door to open, but he does remove his hammer from its sling on his back. He holds it as one would hold a walking stick, but he is ready to use it if necessary. He doesn't show it, but he is uneasy at hearing new voices in the room of their superior.

The door opens with a familiar sound, but the group sees a familarly armoured armsmen at the opening.

They glance at Ariela's shotgun and move to grab their own firearm in return but are interrupted by Inelia's voice, "Now now, no need for that from any of you, just come in already."

The armsman stands down and backs away from the entrance.

((assuming you all enter at least through the doorway not any farther.))

The group sees Inellia in her previous position at the table, but four other armsmen are also in the room, there are four backpacks lined against the wall of the meeting room as well. Three of the armsmen are at the table with their helmets removed but their backs toward you, the one that opened the door is still wearing theirs, or had just put it back on. The table has another small breakfast at it, and the other three armsmen are eating their meals with a fourth bowl absent an eater.

The three armsmen without their helmets, from left to right, have Brown, Grey, and Brown hair. The first one on the left has a short feminine haircut and the other two are cropped male military cuts.

Inellia addresses the group, "Well, what brings you back here?"

Edited by ThenDoctor

Balthazar looks around the room with some confusion. The sudden appearance of four armsman would normally be cause for alarm, but Inelia doesn't seem worried. He steps slowly into the room, hammer still held like a walking stick.

"Greetings once again, Lady Inelia," says Balthazar, and he makes the sign of the Aquila with his free hand. "We just met with Chief Security Officer Lemont, and he provided us with some interesting information." He hesitates, looking around at the armsmen before speaking again. "We came back to update you on our progress and ask for your insight on our findings and next course of action."

Estelia moves into the room behind the Father. She surveys the situation, her eyes pausing for a moment on the armsmen, but Sister Inellia does not appear troubled, so she relaxed. She makes the sign of the Aquila to the Sister, but says nothing.

Noticing the soldier's hand move, Ariel tenses. The muzzle of the shotgun swings around, but is halted in mid-air by the Sister Superior's voice shortly before the bulky weapon came to point at its intended target. The novice seems to relax only unwillingly, but after a moment of hesitation complies and resumes a passive stance once again.

As the Thaurian priest enters the room, the two girls from the Schola follow suit. Ariel does her best to make a point of ignoring the guard at the door as she walks by. Her brown eyes briefly scanning the room, in particular the group of warriors present at the table, her attention finally comes to rest on Inellia and she inclines her head in a gesture of respect, but otherwise remains silent.

19 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

"Greetings once again, Lady Inelia," says Balthazar, and he makes the sign of the Aquila with his free hand. "We just met with Chief Security Officer Lemont, and he provided us with some interesting information." He hesitates, looking around at the armsmen before speaking again. "We came back to update you on our progress and ask for your insight on our findings and next course of action."

12 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

Estelia moves into the room behind the Father. She surveys the situation, her eyes pausing for a moment on the armsmen, but Sister Inellia does not appear troubled, so she relaxed. She makes the sign of the Aquila to the Sister, but says nothing.

9 hours ago, Lynata said:

As the Thaurian priest enters the room, the two girls from the Schola follow suit. Ariel does her best to make a point of ignoring the guard at the door as she walks by. Her brown eyes briefly scanning the room, in particular the group of warriors present at the table, her attention finally comes to rest on Inellia and she inclines her head in a gesture of respect, but otherwise remains silent.

Inellia nods her head and returns the Aquilla that Estelia gave her.

"Oh? Well that should be nice, it's only been a few hours and you've already got something useful." she states. The armsmen seem to try and start leaving but Inellia interrupts them, "No, if I'm going to be keeping you around you'll be hearing about a few things, just don't ask any questions and you'll be fine. Just focus on your breakfast."

The three return to their meal but the one that answered the door stands where they were at attention.

"Go on, what have you found?" she inquires.

Estelia looks to Father Thorne to describe what they have found. It would be disrespectful to speak over him.

((I'm sorry we're making Weasles do a the talking, but it just feels wrong to have the Novices answer before the priest))

Balthazar gives Inelia his report. "Milady, Confessor Konrad from the orbital security office referred us to Chief Security Officer Lemont, the man in charge of Port Gyre's surveillance and law enforcement. I did tell him that we were acting at the behest of the Inquisition, as he seemed to be a loyal Imperial servant. I may have acted too brazenly in divulging this information, but at the time I felt it was justified." Like the Sisters, Thaurian priests are accustomed to regularly attending confession to confide their doubts to their superiors. Balthazar thinks he made the right choice, but he is still very unfamiliar with the sort of covert investigations the Inquisition favors. He is much more comfortable leading a throng of the faithful with torch and warhammer held high than skulking in the shadows.

"Lemont was very helpful in our investigations and provided us with some promising leads. Some minor nobles were invited to visit Skydock 4/4 by some of their peers and were stopped and questioned by local authorities. The identities of their hosts were never recorded because of 'diplomatic immunity,' but their invitation was in the form of a blue handkerchief. Apparently that is an uncommon shade on Desoleum, but I am unaware of any further cultural significance. Unfortunately the guards were 'rotated out of duty' on Desoleum after the incident, so questioning them further will be impossible until we find out what happened to them -- if they are available to be questioned at all." Balthazar's tone and the dark cloud that passes across his features shows that he doubts these guards are simply enjoying a paid vacation.

"One of these nobles, Lady Rosalind Novianna, never returned from her trip. The circumstances are suspicious enough that we plan to visit her family holdings and investigate further."

Still keeping an eye on the armsmen for a moment longer, Ariel finally focuses her attention on Inellia as Balthazar reports on their recent meeting. She underscores the priest's stated intent with an almost imperceptible nod, adding: "Perhaps it will be possible to ask the Sisters Famulous for additional information concerning this lady ... if we have access to an astropath we can trust." A thinly veiled request for additional resources, based on the girl's theory that their Inquisitorial contact must have ways of communicating with her other pawns.

Certainly the group could simply acquire the services of a licensed astropath on the station or, if there isn't one, down on Desoleum itself. However, being a Sororitas, her trust for psykers, even sanctioned ones, does not run very deep -- and although the Sisterhood has developed an intricate system of ciphers and codewords to facilitate a safe exchange of information between its many branches, the Novice was not yet high enough in rank that she would have knowledge of them. And she wasn't even sure if she wanted Balthazar to be aware of it yet, either, fellow man of the cloth or not -- carelessly divulging information compromising the Sisterhood's activities throughout the Imperium was one of the few sins that could get you executed immediately rather than exiled to the Repentia.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:36 AM, Servant of Dante said:

Estelia looks to Father Thorne to describe what they have found. It would be disrespectful to speak over him.

((You don't have to be sorry about wanting to play your character a certain way.))

Inellia follows your direction and looks to Balthazar as well.

3 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar gives Inelia his report. "Milady, Confessor Konrad from the orbital security office referred us to Chief Security Officer Lemont, the man in charge of Port Gyre's surveillance and law enforcement. I did tell him that we were acting at the behest of the Inquisition, as he seemed to be a loyal Imperial servant. I may have acted too brazenly in divulging this information, but at the time I felt it was justified." Like the Sisters, Thaurian priests are accustomed to regularly attending confession to confide their doubts to their superiors. Balthazar thinks he made the right choice, but he is still very unfamiliar with the sort of covert investigations the Inquisition favors. He is much more comfortable leading a throng of the faithful with torch and warhammer held high than skulking in the shadows.

"Lemont was very helpful in our investigations and provided us with some promising leads. Some minor nobles were invited to visit Skydock 4/4 by some of their peers and were stopped and questioned by local authorities. The identities of their hosts were never recorded because of 'diplomatic immunity,' but their invitation was in the form of a blue handkerchief. Apparently that is an uncommon shade on Desoleum, but I am unaware of any further cultural significance. Unfortunately the guards were 'rotated out of duty' on Desoleum after the incident, so questioning them further will be impossible until we find out what happened to them -- if they are available to be questioned at all." Balthazar's tone and the dark cloud that passes across his features shows that he doubts these guards are simply enjoying a paid vacation.

"One of these nobles, Lady Rosalind Novianna, never returned from her trip. The circumstances are suspicious enough that we plan to visit her family holdings and investigate further."

She nods ever so slightly, "As I've said before, I'm am merely your supervisor of sorts for the duration of this investigation, how you decide to proceed is your business. If you think it is in the best interests of the mission to divulge your allegiances then do so, but be wary of the consequences of such things. Even loyal servants may cause more problems than they mean to."

She inclines to the group of armsmen, "Such as our new guests, Lemont's absolutely infuriated and terrified of anything that's out of his control, which is fine, but it can cause problems with...overzealous-ness as it were."

1 hour ago, Lynata said:

"Perhaps it will be possible to ask the Sisters Famulous for additional information concerning this lady ... if we have access to an astropath we can trust." A thinly veiled request for additional resources, based on the girl's theory that their Inquisitorial contact must have ways of communicating with her other pawns.

Inellia looks off to the side of the group at the armsmen that kept their helmet on a reply comes from their helmet as they hear a familiar static voice of the armsmen from the checkpoint that led them to the Confessor and Lemont's offices, *static* "Kappex does not maintain a choir large enough for contact with other planetary systems, just to and from Desoleum herself. You'll have to go to the Hive proper to get a big enough group of them." *static*

She hums in contemplation, "It is not a bad idea, though, contacting the Orders Famulous, their holdings are on Juno as I mentioned before. As for trustworthy, who can ever tell with the... gifted ."

The three guardsmen at the table murmur in agreement.

Estelia listened to the exchange. She liked the idea of contacting an Order of the Adepta Sororitas, Famulous or otherwise. But they would have to use an Astropathic choir. How do you know how far you can trust them? They would have to be careful about what they said.

The Novice was enjoying the solid feeling of wearing her flak armour. It was quite new, newer than the sets of armour she had worn from time to time during training at the schola and the Convent. It may have been a bit of an indulgence, but the girl couldn't help but admire the fillagree and icons that had been added to the chestplate. From time to time one of her hand would drift up to touch the large -(][)- (Ecclesiarchal I) at its center.

One thing did occur to her though, "Sister, if I may ask, what do you intend with these armsmen?"

Balthazar adds his own remarks to the exchange: "Yes, what of the armsmen?

"Also, Lemont suggested we speak to some of the locals about the meaning of the blue handkerchief. In cases of local tradition the common man may be even more helpful than extensive scholarly records kept by the Orders Famulous." ((I believe Balthazar would know the general purpose of the various departments of the Adepta Sororitas, or at least could infer as much from how the Sisters are talking about the order.))

Opting to remain quiet for the moment, Ariel's attention shifts back to their Inquisitorial contact in anticipation of the answer, although the girl expects to already know the answer. Certainly Inellia had to be planning some sort of action where a band of warriors would come in handy. Or were they possibly kept in reserve, in case the trio ran into some sort of difficulty?

She was not, as of yet, sufficiently experienced in Inquisitorial proceedings to consider a darker, more grisly possibility: that the armsmen had simply seen more than they should have, and were about to disappear. Possibly even sped on their journey towards the Emperor's judgment by the very meal they were consuming.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:29 AM, Servant of Dante said:

One thing did occur to her though, "Sister, if I may ask, what do you intend with these armsmen?"

22 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar adds his own remarks to the exchange: "Yes, what of the armsmen? "

3 hours ago, Lynata said:

Opting to remain quiet for the moment, Ariel's attention shifts back to their Inquisitorial contact in anticipation of the answer, although the girl expects to already know the answer.

"I'm sure I'll find something for them to do, besides it's nice to occasionally have company. Really I just want to teach Lemont something about keeping his nose where it belongs, so I'll take his toys for the time being and have them returned later." Inellia considers for a moment, "Who knows maybe one of you will be kept on for further Inquisitorial work. Difficult to say with your employer."

The guards at the table look at one another surprised and aghast, and you hear the one with their helmet still on straighten up in a more attention sort of manner.

"Regardless, it would seem we are at an impasse of what to do now, you have an idea of contacting the Orders Famulous on Juno, probably a good idea anyways concerning they requested Inquisitorial involvement in the first place, and afterwards or before you have a couple of leads to follow along as well. It would seem the only thing left to do is decide if you think it would be best for us to travel as a single unit or for us to take differing vessels down to Desoleum. So, which do you think is best?"

Estelia looks to her companions, then at the armsmen, then back to the Sister. When no one else speaks, she says, "it would certainly be easier to go unnoticed if we travel separately. The chief did offer us a transport . . . but that might be rather conspicuous."

Ariel pressed her lips into a thin line. The idea to be separated from the only person still symbolising a connection to the Sisterhood, and the only man both of them could, to a degree, trust, did not sit well with her. This was still an unfamiliar environment, and as much as she maintained composure in the face of the station's disorderly lifestyle or lurking spiritual corruption, she could not suppress lingering doubts. Yet at the same time she knew that Estelia had made a good point, and her commitment to duty and the values of the Sororitas would compel her to agree to such a plan.

Her grip on the heavy shotgun intensified, as if trying to utilise the solid metal's rigidity to reassure herself.

Balthazar expresses his agreement: "Yes, it will certainly be easier to avoid notice if we travel separately. Having access to a diplomatic shuttle and the freedom that it entails is a tempting prospect, but it is prudent to use it only when necessary."

19 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

"it would certainly be easier to go unnoticed if we travel separately. The chief did offer us a transport . . . but that might be rather conspicuous."

19 hours ago, Lynata said:

Her grip on the heavy shotgun intensified, as if trying to utilise the solid metal's rigidity to reassure herself.

15 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

"Yes, it will certainly be easier to avoid notice if we travel separately. Having access to a diplomatic shuttle and the freedom that it entails is a tempting prospect, but it is prudent to use it only when necessary."

The armsman pipes in at this point, *static* "That shuttles only gonna get you down there, it's gotta go back up to the station afterwards. But you can use it again when you want to go back to Kappex." *static*

"If we travel separately then one group of us is going to have to charter passage on a normal shuttle. Perhaps my group could use the writ and the shuttle, then leave the writ at the local customs office for you to pick up on your arrival?" Inellia offered.

((Well I don't really have anything to say, but we all seem to be waiting for someone else to post, so . . .))

Estelia nods at the Sister's suggestion. She hopes the Father will know where to find the customs office on the planet . . . and what a customs office is.

The Novice thinks ruefully that her armour would hardly be inconspicuous, but it shouldn't seem too out of place, since the Father is visibly of the Frateris Clergy.

((I'm actually not just making stuff up about her armour being fancy, all the holy symbols on it were one of my 3 free requisitions at character creation, though I can't remember exactly what bonus they give))

Balthazar nods in agreement. "Yes, we will arrange transport on an ordinary shuttle. We can pick up the writ once we arrive at the customs office."

The idea to once more set foot on a civilian transport did not sit well with Ariel, who even after so many weeks spent travelling on one still was not used to the idea of having to hide behind an alter ego. Granted, part of her actually enjoyed the excitement, although in her self-imposed discipline she would never allow herself to admit this. What chafed at her the most was not so much the concept of pretending to be someone else, but rather that there were few opportunities to drop the act. Many times already she had witnessed Imperial citizens behave in ways that would have seen a Schola cadet publicly flogged, whereas here these things seemed perfectly natural and accepted. It was hard to maintain composure when faced with what, from the perspective of a Sororitas used to life in a convent, was borderline heretical. Of course, the planet down below would likely be even worse. Why did it have to be a hive, of all environs? Truly, the Emperor puts His subjects to the test.

As the Thaurian priest spoke up, her mind was quietly thankful for the distraction and the moment of respite from lingering self-doubt it would bring. Drawing the wrong conclusion at Balthazar's words, she began wondering what a house dedicated to local culture would look like, not to mention its purpose. Were visitors to Desoleum required to familiarise themselves with the traditions of the citizenry before they were allowed to set foot onto the world, thus potentially avoiding awkward misunderstandings, or was it a form of governmentally funded advertisement like the colourful pamphlets handed out by the merchants on Kappex? She quietly wondered if their contact would leave the writ as an inconspicuous message or pull Inquisitorial authority on these keepers of customs, drawing more attention to their ongoing investigation. She hoped it was the former, but to speak up and question Inellia would have called her foresight into question, which would have been an intolerable act of disrespect. At this thought, her gaze momentarily wandered off towards Estelia's position.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:42 AM, Servant of Dante said:

The Novice thinks ruefully that her armour would hardly be inconspicuous, but it shouldn't seem too out of place, since the Father is visibly of the Frateris Clergy.

((I'm actually not just making stuff up about her armour being fancy, all the holy symbols on it were one of my 3 free requisitions at character creation, though I can't remember exactly what bonus they give))

((+10 to Command while dealing with faithful to the Imperial Creed, -10 Fel when dealing with those not loyal to the Emperor.))

4 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Balthazar nods in agreement. "Yes, we will arrange transport on an ordinary shuttle. We can pick up the writ once we arrive at the customs office."

Inellia nods and motions for the helmeted guard to acquire the writ from Father Thorne, *static* "Father? If you would please." *static* they hold out their hand.

3 hours ago, Lynata said:

The idea to once more set foot on a civilian transport did not sit well with Ariel, who even after so many weeks spent travelling on one still was not used to the idea of having to hide behind an alter ego.

She hoped it was the former, but to speak up and question Inellia would have called her foresight into question, which would have been an intolerable act of disrespect. At this thought, her gaze momentarily wandered off towards Estelia's position.

((Inellia wants to try and read you with Scrutiny, are you going to try and resist? If so it's with Decieve at -10))

((Inellia is already suspicious of Ariel? What did she do? :( :P -10 would be an Auto-Fail as the Untrained penalty would get me down to to 0. Now it's all up to whether Inellia succeeds on her Test!))

3 minutes ago, Lynata said:

((Inellia is already suspicious of Ariel? What did she do? :( :P -10 would be an Auto-Fail as the Untrained penalty would get me down to to 0. Now it's all up to whether Inellia succeeds on her Test!))

((Scrutiny just means you want to get a reading on their current emotional state. Not that you're suspicious of them. The problem is that I think it implies more than it should when it's resisted with Deceive. I think with a 01 she succeeds fine lol))

Inellia looks at Ariel in a concerned matronly nature, but does nothing more at the current time.

((I was just wondering about the -10 penalty and looked it up in the book .. but with a natural 1 it doesn't matter much either way :lol: ))

The novice instinctively tenses up at Inellia's gaze, feeling uncomfortable yet still unwilling to speak up. A sense of guilt formed in her belly, less because of what she did but of what she might have to do if questioned.