Of Great and Terrible Things

By ThenDoctor, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

((He's right to not expect it, Balthazar isn't trained in Deceive! I'm spending a Fate Point before rolling for a +20 bonus on the test. I didn't refund the Fate Point with my Shrine World ability.))

((Target number: 38+20-20+10=48. Rolled a 40 for one DoS. It's better to be lucky than good.))

Balthazar had never met an Imperial Navy Confessor in his life, but the other priest didn't need to know that. He felt uncomfortable lying to another man of faith, but his mission was of utmost importance. Let the Emperor alone judge his methods, for his motives were just.

"True, it's unusual for Thaurian priests to become Navy Confessors. Our typically morbid outlook and gallows humor don't instill much confidence in voidship crews. But the circumstances surrounding his career change were also unusual.

"One day, the battered Battlefleet Askellon frigate "Blade of Juno" limped into orbit above Thaur. It was badly damaged following a battle with recidivist pirates, and the captain needed to take on more crew to make it back to port. A brother of my order named Rothellus was among those recruited to oversee the spiritual well-being of the crew on the journey home. I heard rumors that he might be in the orbital and want to catch up with him."

Much like her fellow novice, Ariel was oblivious to Balthazar's lie. The girls would still have a long way to go when it came to adapting to the outside world. Certainly, the Adepta Sororitas had a reputation for policing not only apostate clergy but any Imperial citizen or soldier they came into contact with -- a mission made possible by a healthy dose of skepticism and distrust. Yet younger, less experienced Sisters in particular were quick to judge and divide into good and bad, black and white, often based on first impressions alone. The vestments of the Imperial Cult immediately made a man more trustworthy, whereas a downtrodden denizen of the underhive was sure to just hide his moral deficiencies well, requiring more probing to bring them to light ...

In spite of tales of the Age of Apostasy being told in the convent as a warning against false prophets, it usually took young Sisters many years and the guidance of an experienced Superior to wisen up and learn that things in the outside world were not as easy and clear-cut as the propaganda and legends fed to them in the Schola Progenium would have them believe. Many did not learn at all. What sort of example would Balthazar set for them, and how would it affect their future?

Edited by Lynata

((I have to quote you separately Dante since you're the last one on a page.))

Estelia notices no telltale bionics, but she does notice a wrist mounted device that contains variously sized cogs, the largest spanning the priests wrist and it is marked with the sign of the Adeptus Ministorum. The other cogs have words or symbols on them as well but they aren't as pronounced.

((+10 Awareness test if you'd like to try and inspect the device further.))

"One day, the battered Battlefleet Askellon frigate "Blade of Juno" limped into orbit above Thaur. It was badly damaged following a battle with recidivist pirates, and the captain needed to take on more crew to make it back to port. A brother of my order named Rothellus was among those recruited to oversee the spiritual well-being of the crew on the journey home. I heard rumors that he might be in the orbital and want to catch up with him."

The priest nods solemnly, "Well I'd remember every hymn ever sung 'fore I remember the name of a voidship if I were to be honest with ye' father, but I know the fleet's got a confessor on call for the personnel stationed out here when their troubles are beyond my clearances to help them. Why might you be wanting to speak with this particular one? Come on you can tell old Father Octavious."

((Has 45 Fel, +10 Charm, but rolled 68. So you don't have to feel inclined to even lie in response if Balthazar would rather just be evasive.))

Balthazar doesn't want to make up any details when he doesn't need to, so he keeps his response simple. He shrugs his shoulders lightly and replies, "Oh, it's nothing of great import. I just want to catch up with an old acquaintance. Thank you for the offer anyways, Father Octavious. My name is Father Thorne, by the way. Where can I find the Confessors?"

Estelia examines the device on the priest's wrist from a distances, trying not to be too disrespectful by avoiding staring directly at the man.

((Awareness Test +10: Per 20 +10 = 30 (target) Rolled 75 for an almighty 5 (?) DoF I'm assuming you get an automatic DoF just for failing just like DoS for passing tests; I suppose I should just check the rulebook but whatever ))

Edited by Servant of Dante

"Oh, it's nothing of great import. I just want to catch up with an old acquaintance. Thank you for the offer anyways, Father Octavious. My name is Father Thorne, by the way. Where can I find the Confessors?"

Octavious nods, "Yes I can understand a desire to maintain the connections of our faith and our friendships as well. The confessor, as we only have one at the station, keeps to herself nearer to the armsmen barracks. I'll write up a quick missive of introduction if you'd like?"

((Awareness Test +10: Per 20 +10 = 30 (target) Rolled 75 for an almighty 5 (?) DoF I'm assuming you get an automatic DoF just for failing just like DoS for passing tests; I suppose I should just check the rulebook but whatever ))

After answering Balthazar he scans the two companions of the Father and notices Estelia looking at the device on his wrist, "And who might these to lovely girls be? 'Ave ye' never seen an Oath Cog before?"

Estelia winces and glowers under the priest's attention. Unsure how to respond, she is most certainly a Novice of the Adepta Sororitas but she cannot tell if she should be forthright with this priest, she looks first to Ariel, then to Father Thorne.

She is on the verge of introducing herself to the priest when . . .

((Is anyone going to interrupt Estelia?))

Passively surveying the conversation between both priests, Ariel tried her best not to attract undue attention, lowering her - compared to her lithe form - oversized weapon a few inches more, though she quickly noticed this pose put an additional strain on her right arm's muscles, slowly causing her shoulder to ache. For a moment, she tried to bear the pain, as was the way of the Sororitas, but ultimately she gave in and slowly set the gun's barrel on the ground.

The cleric chose this moment to address the two girls directly. Ariel's eyes widened ever so slightly, and instinctively she stole a glance towards Estelia. Although her mouth opened a little, she did not raise her voice.

Before Ariel or Estelia can respond to Father Octavious, Balthazar interjects to introduce the Sisters. "These are Estelia and Ariel, two initiates of my order who are accompanying me on my journey. This is the first time they've been on an orbital like this, so they have indeed never seen an Oath-Cog before." He looks at the two girls with an expression suggesting that they should follow his lead. A pair of Sororitas accompanying a priest like Balthazar is a very noteworthy occurrence, and he didn't want to call attention to their presence.

"These are Estelia and Ariel, two initiates of my order who are accompanying me on my journey. This is the first time they've been on an orbital like this, so they have indeed never seen an Oath-Cog before."

((I'll let that one go without a test, it's close enough to the truth to not arouse any suspicion.))

Octavious nods solemnly, "I see I see, well that's fine. This must be very exciting for you then. Well let me explain what oath cogs are, you'll be seeing a lot of them if you look. On Desoleum we are all bound by the Oath. This oath takes many many forms, but nearly everyone is bound to someone else, and we are all bound to the governess of Desoleum, and Lady Desoleum is bound to the Emperor. We signify this bond, and measure it, through these devices called oath cogs. Each cog is engineered to signify the person or organization we have a bond with and the specific nature of this bond."

Octavious indicates to the large cog with the sign of the Ministorum on it, "This means I'm a priest of the Adeptus Ministorum, if I move up in the ranks of the Ecclarisy I'll be given a larger cog, signifying the greater responsibilities I have, and in turn all those under me will recieve a cog signifying their duties to me."

. . . Father Thorne spoke. Estelia caught herself before she spoke, taking the hint to remain silent.

The priest's description of the oath cogs, while certainly withing the bounds of deviation allowed by the Ecclesiarchy, feels . . . a bit off. The devotion of one's self to another, who was in turn devoted to the Emperor was not what the Novice had been taught. In any case, she tries to look inconspicuous, but is all to aware of her Sororitas-regulation haircut. Unconsciously, her hands brush past where her pistols hang at her waist beneath her robe.

Ariel blinked at the black-clad cleric's explanation, although she had sufficient presence of mind to adapt and remain quiet, her face quickly returning to the usual dispassionate expression she armoured her thoughts behind. Behind this veil, however, more questions built up and she wasn't quite able to keep her displeasure entirely hidden, a slight frown forming at the side of her lips.

In the convent, she had heard rumours about a secret Order of the Sororitas whose members had to hide their true feelings and allegiance so they could learn about heretical cults and turn pagan beliefs to the One True Faith. At the time, she had dismissed these admittedly intriguing ideas as the indecorous whispers of her fellow novices, but their current situation felt eerily similar.

As for the local variant of the Creed, Ariel's thoughts differed slightly from those of her fellow novice-companion, being more concerned about how she has learned in the schola that the cog was the icon of the Adeptus Mechanicus, and how it came to have such a prominence in the Desolean branch of the faith. Being somewhat less rebellious than her blonde, gifted friend, she had always accepted her Sisters Superior as representatives of the Emperor's will, much like how the High Lords on Terra spoke for Him.

Octavious gives you quick directions to the Armsmen's chapel, it's closer to the center of the station where the security forces of Kappex Orbital bunker at. He writes a quick missive of introduction and hands it to Father Thorne.

"Now, before ye' are off are there any other questions ye'd like to know about?"

Exchanging a glance with the Estelia, it might seem obvious that Ariel had lingering questions, although not all of them could be answered by this priest anyways -- and the others could, or so she feared, have the other priest doubt their motifs and cover story. Shaking off her skepticism, she lifted her heavy weapon from the ground where its barrel had rested. A mere novice, she was not in a position to question, at least not a duly appointed member of the Ministorum.

Balthazar shook his head. "I believe that covers everything for now. It was a pleasure meeting you, and may the Emperor watch over you and your flock. I hope that the Thaurian funeral ships must wait many years before carrying you to His side."

((Unless Father Octavious has anything else to say, Balthazar will make his way to the exit.))

((Sorry I kept forgetting to reply today and yesterday))

Estelia, while still curious and slightly unsettled by the priest, was eager to find the Navy confessor that they had received directions to.

((Assuming we leave now))

Fed up with not having her weapons readily available to her while Ariel carried her shotgun, as they left the chapel the novice pulled one arm inside her heavy outer robe and unbuckled her weapon belt, stooping to pick it up from the ground and fastening again to her waist outside her robe. Her right hand rests contentedly on one of the pistols as they exit back into the corridors of the station. Much better.

Exchanging a glance with the Estelia, it might seem obvious that Ariel had lingering questions, although not all of them could be answered by this priest anyways -- and the others could, or so she feared, have the other priest doubt their motifs and cover story. Shaking off her skepticism, she lifted her heavy weapon from the ground where its barrel had rested. A mere novice, she was not in a position to question, at least not a duly appointed member of the Ministorum.

((Sorry I kept forgetting to reply today and yesterday))

Estelia, while still curious and slightly unsettled by the priest, was eager to find the Navy confessor that they had received directions to.

((Assuming we leave now))

Fed up with not having her weapons readily available to her while Ariel carried her shotgun, as they left the chapel the novice pulled one arm inside her heavy outer robe and unbuckled her weapon belt, stooping to pick it up from the ground and fastening again to her waist outside her robe. Her right hand rests contentedly on one of the pistols as they exit back into the corridors of the station. Much better.

Balthazar shook his head. "I believe that covers everything for now. It was a pleasure meeting you, and may the Emperor watch over you and your flock. I hope that the Thaurian funeral ships must wait many years before carrying you to His side."

((Unless Father Octavious has anything else to say, Balthazar will make his way to the exit.))

Father Ocatvious makes the sign of the Aquila and bows to Father Thorne, "The pleasure was all mine, may your graves remain undisturbed until the final days. And to you too as well," indicating to the sisters, "I hope you manage to have some fun on your visit." he waves as you three exit the chapel.

The trio make their way more towards the center of Kappex Orbital, as this is where the armsmen barracks lie. As they round a corner they stand roughly 5m away from a security checkpoint. There are three armsmen there in similar dress as the other armsemen we've seen on the station.

One moves forward a meter, they're helmeted, and chirps out *static* "Halt, state your business" *static*

Ariel had left the station chapel with a devout bow to the cleric, unsure as to how to take the priest's recommendation. Contrary to the sacrilegious rumours amongst some of the common populace and the soldiery, the Sisterhood's idea of 'fun' did not actually involve whips and prayers -- but the novice had doubts as to whether this port actually had a garden, nor did she expect to run into any Battle Sister who had stories to share.

Inadvertedly, her eyes wandered over to Estelia, noting the pistol belt which had just been re-equipped on the outside of her robes.

"And here I am trying not to have my gun draw too many eyes" , she voiced her thoughts aloud ...

... just as the group encountered the checkpoint.

Her attention shifted towards Balthazar, apparently once more intent on letting the Black Priest do the talking.

((I'm going to completely steal Lynata's excellent thought about "fun"))

Estelia reached largely the same conclusion about the fun they might have, though the girl thought that perhaps she could find a shooting gallery somewhere. That would be fun. Oh, and Inellia may have some interesting stories to tell . . .but Estelia wasn't sure she wanted to hear those stories.

She was about to say something in response to Ariel's jab when they group comes upon a checkpoint. Estelia too wishes to let the Father do the talking for the time being. As an afterthought, she takes her hand off of her holstered weapon.

((I assume we are on the way to the place given to us by Father Octavious.))

Balthazar halts, spreads his hands in a welcoming gesture and addresses the armsmen. "Hello, officers. I am a priest on my way to meet a fellow man of faith. These two girls are accompanying me on the journey. The arms they carry are for self defense; even a man such as myself must take care to ensure his safety."

((I assume we are on the way to the place given to us by Father Octavious.))

Balthazar halts, spreads his hands in a welcoming gesture and addresses the armsmen. "Hello, officers. I am a priest on my way to meet a fellow man of faith. These two girls are accompanying me on the journey. The arms they carry are for self defense; even a man such as myself must take care to ensure his safety."

((Yeah, you mentioned that you wanted to move on if there wasn't anything stopping you guys.))

The two other armsmen, that weren't speaking to the trio, stay in their place but put their hands on their weapons.

*static* "That may be, but we don't necessarily allow travelers past this point without good reason." *static*

One of the two other guards, the one on the right, puts to fingers to their throat seemingly communicating something.

The one that moved forward chirps in again, *static* "Do you have any proof of your visit, and will you submit to a body search for the possibility of any other weapons or contraband?" *static*

((Quoting you guys since you're on the other page.))

Weapons and contraband . . . ? Estelia thought about what she was carrying. There where her two pistols, her mono-knife, her bag of dirt from Ophelia seven and the fragment of ceramite . . . and that was it, well, besides her cloths. She was wearing her armoured bodyglove underneath her heavy brown pilgrim's robe. Nothing she thought of seemed like contraband to her.

Shrugging he bends over, reaching under the bottom of her robe to pull the monoknife from its bootsheath. She holds it loosely in her hand by the long blade for the armsmen to see, looking to Ariel and Father Thornse to see what they are doing.

Ariel lingered, exchanging a glance with Lia first, then looking towards Balthazar for guidance. Fortunately for the three of them, the Black Priest knew the man they wanted to meet in person, and thus could surely provide the necessary identification -- or so the novice thought.

Briefly, she went through her inventory, tallying a mental list of the items she carried and whether or not they might reveal her true identity. She wasn't quite sure whether or not the two of them actually had to conceal their true selves even from these seemingly loyal armsmen, but this was just another reason to wait for the Thaurian cleric's reaction.

Her sidearm was standard military issue for the Imperial Guard, and as such probably somewhat common even among civilians. The knife on her belt should be even less special; it was an uncommon design, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as custom works go. The only items she was not sure about were her shotgun and the bodyglove -- the former an item usually found in the arsenals of the Arbitrators, and the latter a pattern used exclusively by the Sisterhood. Then again, what are the chances these soldiers ever saw either?