Road to Legend Feedback

By kraisto, in Road to Legend

13 hours ago, subtleknife84 said:

Dont get me wrong. All the important information are still the map and the minis. Digitalizing some of the referencing stuff wouldn't change the way Rtl works or drop the selling point for physical content. It will help smoothening the experience.

I agree in principle, but psychologically I think it helps people that the app makes as little of the physical game obsolete as it can. Dedicated app users are already packing up a large part of the game they just won't use. If the only components you bought the game for are the tiles, tokens, and figures it starts looking like less of a value purchase. Not to mention if you digitize things like the dice then what do you even need the physical components for? You're gonna spend more time interacting with the app than anything else at that point.

1 hour ago, Proto Persona said:

I agree in principle, but psychologically I think it helps people that the app makes as little of the physical game obsolete as it can. Dedicated app users are already packing up a large part of the game they just won't use. If the only components you bought the game for are the tiles, tokens, and figures it starts looking like less of a value purchase. Not to mention if you digitize things like the dice then what do you even need the physical components for? You're gonna spend more time interacting with the app than anything else at that point.

As i said the most important things are map and minis, and having an OPTIONAL dice roller dont makes those less important. Descent has a great value purchase in his dual ways to play the game. Who makes descent a less of a value purchase are dedicated app user itself. If you choose to play only the app then you are ridding of a good portion of the game, the overlord and everything related to this role, travel cards, rumors, campaigns etc. Honestly i dont think that having the option to referencing more stuff on the app will change so much the idea behind RtL, and you can still use physical references if you want to. If i'm playing the app, i've already cut out the overlord for that game so let me focus on the hero stuff. The only plausible reason is that the app, running on portable devices, has to be as light as possible. Other than that please do not justify poor or good design choices with pshycological multilevel thinking. As a business the only thing FFG cares are profits, and it's right that it's so.

Edited by subtleknife84

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

If the "content" is in the app, app+proxies will make it. Why should I buy the physical game?

3 hours ago, tibia said:

If the "content" is in the app, app+proxies will make it. Why should I buy the physical game?

Are you serious? C'mon. If you are willing to proxy minis and tiles you will surely print the cards too, so why buy the game anyways? Never said all the content just some referencing stuff.

4 hours ago, subtleknife84 said:

Are you serious? C'mon. If you are willing to proxy minis and tiles you will surely print the cards too, so why buy the game anyways? Never said all the content just some referencing stuff.

Because the referencing stuff is everything short of figures. Anything on cards is only there to be a reference for while you play so you can do the math yourself.

If the app is rolling the dice for you most people will demand it to do the math for you too. That means it needs a database of cards and their effects, especially hero equipment. Then you need to account for the hero's effects on rolls, so now the hero cards go in there too.

At that point the only calculation the app isn't doing is range. Though if it's doing all the math anyways it's only logical the app should calculate that too, right? So now figure positions go in there. That just means the app has the ability to figure Line of Sight for you too, because why not? And at this point we have a digital version of Decent, invalidating the need for a physical game at all.

Look, I think I get where you're coming from. You want to lessen the amount of items you have to lug around and deal with at the table. Thing is all you're doing is trading one interaction for another. Cards and dice on the app aren't going to make the game smoother or go faster. I have a Descent dice roller on my phone already. It's not an improvement over just using the real thing and it doesn't really save any time. If the reference materials are a problem for you the issue isn't the items, it's your organization system or your play space. The more realistic solution for everyone is to improve one or both of those factors yourself.

Edited by Proto Persona

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." :blink:

17 hours ago, subtleknife84 said:

If the cards are in the app, I can print them. If they are in the box, I have to buy the box.

It seems you are not the "serious" one ?

5 hours ago, tibia said:

If the cards are in the app, I can print them. If they are in the box, I have to buy the box.

5 hours ago, tibia said:

Really, i dont know what to say. :o

On 6/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, DerDelphi said:

I'm pretty sure that there won't be any official support for the conversion kit. As a workaround you can just select another mage hero, and then play as Mad Karthos instead.

I choose a character that is the same class and has the same attributes as the first ed. one. I could be wrong but I'm thinking the App chooses heroes based on those two factors.

monster appearance probability slider.... e.g i can load in all my content .. but i can have unpainted or unliked monsters not show up

be happy with a compromise that core set monsters must always be present..

option after completing a campaign just play some quests as and side quests 1 offs...

After playing some campains in the app:

- double click on hero for "end turn "

- add different athmosphereic sound effects in the background

- implement unique boss figures. Eg a dragon with unique abilities and art. Should be easy to implement in a digital app

My boys and I played using the App tonight and we had a blast playing the Tutorial, and we are looking forward to future campaigns. I hope this feature continues to be supported in the game, it is really awesome. After a few more rounds I am sure we will have some other feedback, but for now it was great! Thanks.

RTL is a great start, but I think FFG really hit it out of the park with Mansions of Madness. I would LOVE to see an updated version of RTL that acts more like MoM. An updated version with expanded campaigns would be great. I even think its the kind of app that I'd pay a few bucks for. To be honest I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of content compared to MoM. I they had a campaign for each expansion, I'd really be up for buying more of the physical sets. As it stands, I don't see me buying many of them. Just my two cents, but it seems like a great opportunity to have a Descent 2.5.

Really enjoying RTL, and have just bought Trollfens and Ravens to expand my options. Are FFG planning to bring the physical adventures/plot included in the expansion boxes into RTL? I only play with RTL as I mostly play solo, so I feel I'll miss out on a big chunk of what I've bought.

I don’t believe they’ll incorporate the physical campaigns. They could well release new campaigns requiring expansions (I’d love to see one that combined Mists of Bilehall and Chains That Rust, although I don’t see how they could top the story in those two boxes)

Seeds of Corruption does retell Shadow of Nerekhall’s plot (several minor characters introduced in the physical campaign appear or have cameos in Seeds Of Corruption, and the focus of the story is the same) so that might be the closest you’ll get.

I don’t know the plot of Embers of Dread, but it appears to be very different from Labyrinth of Ruin and Lair of The Wyrm.

44 minutes ago, Lightningclaw said:

I don’t believe they’ll incorporate the physical campaigns. They could well release new campaigns requiring expansions (I’d love to see one that combined Mists of Bilehall and Chains That Rust, although I don’t see how they could top the story in those two boxes)

Seeds of Corruption does retell Shadow of Nerekhall’s plot (several minor characters introduced in the physical campaign appear or have cameos in Seeds Of Corruption, and the focus of the story is the same) so that might be the closest you’ll get.

I don’t know the plot of Embers of Dread, but it appears to be very different from Labyrinth of Ruin and Lair of The Wyrm.

Thanks LC :-)