Something I Don't Understand

By Shaneth, in UFS General Discussion

JDub said:

I'm not saying it's over priced I'm saying its crap. I don't want a cheap plaque or a banner. I don't want to pay for some **** no one cares about. The only thing in the kit that interests me or any of my players is the promo and I'm not paying $20 for 8 of them, when I will probably be able to buy them on CSI for $2.50 each in a month . Just because they are barely covering their costs for the kits doesn't mean what's in them is any good.

Capitalism. Don't want it? Don't buy it, but don't complain.

Oh and those "gold plated" life counters are pretty much the same ones L5R has that cost like $10. So full prince those life counters come out to $80, what FFG paid for them less then that.

guitalex2008 said:

JDub said:

I'm not saying it's over priced I'm saying its crap. I don't want a cheap plaque or a banner. I don't want to pay for some **** no one cares about. The only thing in the kit that interests me or any of my players is the promo and I'm not paying $20 for 8 of them, when I will probably be able to buy them on CSI for $2.50 each in a month . Just because they are barely covering their costs for the kits doesn't mean what's in them is any good.

Just like, even with last month only being Jins and Astrids, you can't find Jins and Astrids anywhere?

Capitalism. Don't want it? Don't buy it, but don't complain.

I didn't buy it and I won't. And judging by the fact that they pushed the deadline to sign up back twice already I don't think too many other people are either.

Actually, the faceplate costs 10 dollars, the base plate also costs 10 dollars. Look it up. So retail price it's $20.

People aren't rushing to buy the kit, not because it's not worth it, but because the timing is pretty terrible. This has been discussed in this thread extensively.

guitalex2008 said:

You want playmats? I'm sure many a person who has gone to a UFS event has many extras. I have 1 of each property if I'm not mistaken.

Hell, I got one as prize support for getting into top cuts in teams earlier this year in Florida. I don't have the Morrigan one because I don't approve of censorship and they airbrushed out her nipple. lol

The point is, there will always be promos in the support no one wants. There will always be a chase promo. THAT'S INCENTIVE. Otherwise, if everyone's getting the same promo, why play?

You can't expect a company who is struggling with the game (they raised prices, then removed foils... this should be an impossibly blatant sign) to get cash from out of pocket and send to the several hundred stores worldwide five playmats every month for no good reason. Be realistic and stop asking more than what is possible by FFG at this point.

Unless you want to pay for your prize support. THEN you can ask for whatever, as long as you got the moolah to pay for it.

I am not talking about weekly support if you bothered to read my posts -_-

I am talking about Pre Release events. Oh and you have Tekken Playmats? How did you get them? Because those are the mats as I was talking about and as far as I know no one got any of those just a bunch of sh*tty legacy boxes of crappy sets that no one wants.

guitalex2008 said:

Actually, the faceplate costs 10 dollars, the base plate also costs 10 dollars. Look it up. So retail price it's $20.

People aren't rushing to buy the kit, not because it's not worth it, but because the timing is pretty terrible. This has been discussed in this thread extensively.

guitalex2008 said:

What does when the events are taking place have to do with the deadline to sign up for the event? They gave two weeks to sign up for a kit, pushed it back another week, pushed it back another week or two. They didn't change the time frame that the event had to take place. The only reason they would push the deadline back is because so few stores are signing up for the event.

guitalex2008 said:

Not to mention you get a banner for the store. The plaque itself is almost as expensive as the price we're paying. Go to a trophy shop and ask for a plaque and get an estimate of the cheapest plaque they have. Then go to Kinko's and ask how much for a banner like the one they're offering. Then substract that again. Then substract the cost of two packs of sleeves. THEN divide that remainder by 8 to see how much the Kilik's actually cost you. You'll find the answer is negative dollars.

Alex, do you have one of the counters? It's gold colored stickers. Not that they're not cool, but yeah. Also, the 20$ is actually a fair price. Even if only 4 people show up, they each pay 5$ and you've got the price of the kit. I even offered my store, if they wanted one, to pay for the thing in case they did not want to order (but they were incredibly supportive and didn't take my 20 bucks).

I don't care about timing, the prize kit is pretty decent for the prize. The Regionals Kit, however, was not, and I've often said so.

Also, no matter what is the banner they give us, it CANNOT be as awesome as the Montreal Regionals banner. It still astonishes me that FFG took Target X seriously enough to print THAT.

JDub said:

What does when the events are taking place have to do with the deadline to sign up for the event? They gave two weeks to sign up for a kit, pushed it back another week, pushed it back another week or two. They didn't change the time frame that the event had to take place. The only reason they would push the deadline back is because so few stores are signing up for the event.

Yep. I know we're signed up, but if they hadn't pushed it back we wouldn't have. Information, even on the Internet, travels slowly, especially since it's the retail store that had to register for this and not the Scout (or the scout intern).

I remember our regionals prize support was absolute garbage. If I remember correctly my promo pack (which had like a Chester's, a couple of REv's, and a few other things) was the ONLY good promo pack out of the top 8. The rest were stuffed with crappy characters nobody wanted. I mean honestly, when the people can even give out decent prize support at any of their so called major events, what's the point?

B-Rad said:

I remember our regionals prize support was absolute garbage. If I remember correctly my promo pack (which had like a Chester's, a couple of REv's, and a few other things) was the ONLY good promo pack out of the top 8. The rest were stuffed with crappy characters nobody wanted. I mean honestly, when the people can even give out decent prize support at any of their so called major events, what's the point?

Oh god I remember that pack. I think it's still lying around my computer.

Oh well at least I met nice people who didn't make fun of my accent. And of the fact that I drove 7 hours to and 7 hours back in the same day because I had to work on the morning after.

Naurto playmates are awesome. I googled them.

Wizkids put heroclix in Walmart and it didn't do anything to the local gaming market but divert people away from the local game store to walmart in addittion to online. Walmart, for a non Topps or Wizards of the Coast game is a death sign or a desperation sign.

You can say those counters cost $20 a piece retail, right?

FFG bought them in bulk, sir. DISCOUNT!!!!!

Shaneth said:

You can say those counters cost $20 a piece retail, right?

FFG bought them in bulk, sir. DISCOUNT!!!!!

If you seriously believe FFG paid retail price for those...

Homme Chapeau said:

Alex, do you have one of the counters? It's gold colored stickers. Not that they're not cool, but yeah.

Actually it's a gold film. Actual gold. Sure, it's probably 14K Gold, I think it says so on the faceplate, but it's gold nonetheless.

You can probably send it in to Cash for Gold and get 10 cents! lol

I obviously don't think they paid retail for those, assuming they did buy in bulk, what sort of discount would they get, 30%? We're also forgetting the mats they had made for the regionals on top of the actual prize support.

guitalex2008 said:

Homme Chapeau said:

Alex, do you have one of the counters? It's gold colored stickers. Not that they're not cool, but yeah.

Actually it's a gold film. Actual gold. Sure, it's probably 14K Gold, I think it says so on the faceplate, but it's gold nonetheless.

I obviously don't think they paid retail for those, assuming they did buy in bulk, what sort of discount would they get, 30%? We're also forgetting the mats they had made for the regionals on top of the actual prize support.

There were no special mats for regionals. They were just the left over Shadowar, SF, DS, and SC playmats from the pre releases.

As for the life counters if they retail for $20 stores usually purchase product from distributors at 25%-50% off, so FFG more then likely paid less then that for them. That's really beside the point. I said the life counters were great but everything else in the kit was jank promos and left over play mats (which stores got in normal prize support and pre release kits for FREE ). That was my point. They basiclly charged full retail price on the life counters and threw in some extra junk.

Two things. First of all our playgroup has NEVER gotten mats in support. EVER. The only reason any of us have any mats is because of a Dallas-run tournament.

Also...they censored Morrigan's nipple???

ROTBI said:

Two things. First of all our playgroup has NEVER gotten mats in support. EVER. The only reason any of us have any mats is because of a Dallas-run tournament.

Also...they censored Morrigan's nipple???

Yeah. The artwork on the card is more clear. I will post here a picture I randomly modded in paint to illustrate my point.

morriganlol.jpg

However, this was airbrushed in the mats. While you could argue that this was indeed a shadow instead of a wardrobe malfunction, then where's the "shadow" in the playmats?

JDub said:

As for the life counters if they retail for $20 stores usually purchase product from distributors at 25%-50% off, so FFG more then likely paid less then that for them. That's really beside the point. I said the life counters were great but everything else in the kit was jank promos and left over play mats (which stores got in normal prize support and pre release kits for FREE ). That was my point. They basiclly charged full retail price on the life counters and threw in some extra junk.

You may have been able to get them for FREE , but that doesn't make making the playmats FREE . They cost money to make; that's not much of an argument. Especially when prerelease kits aren't FREE .

guitalex2008 said:

JDub said:

You may have been able to get them for FREE , but that doesn't make making the playmats FREE . They cost money to make; that's not much of an argument. Especially when prerelease kits aren't FREE .

But the kits don't cost more then the product your getting in them. There is no differance in price then buying 6 booster boxes or one pre-release kit. Therfore every other time they have given out playmats for prize support they never charged for them, making them free prize support. I don't think anyone is arguing that they cost money to make. Bottom line is the regional kits was mostly a bunch of left over prize support that stores have gotten for free before, yet with a $120 price tag.

guitalex2008 said:

Taking out foils to reduce production costs is questionable IMO. What was the source of doing that? 'Cause other CCGs haven't increased in price. Probably cause they're more popular, but I guess that answers my question.

When you take foils out of the game, you pretty much cut prize support in half. A lot of CCGs offer foil versions of main cards so player can pimp their decks. A lot of CCGs also do alternate artwork, which I think is ballin. Now I don't care too much about the foils, but seriously, when a game says they aren't going to spend the money to print foils anymore, that's a dead-on sign that the game is declining.

as much as it sounds, money is really an issue in concern with this game. this issue will never go away and it will continue to be talked about. People have reasons why they want their favorite game to dish out cold cash. it is the sense of mind that your being awarded for the CONSTANT playing of the game by showing up to tournaments and traveling on top of that. i'm pretty sure most local stores around the united states would have huge turn outs if money was being dished out and not only would that help the hobby shop who even bother to promote this game. players are'nt the only ones who think about cash it's the store as well who run the product,so that they can be able to paid off their rent to stay in business.

UFS is about the money too believe or not. The question i have to ask everyone is what has ufs done for you lately? besides the other games which people hate (Yugi,magic,naruto)to talk about because their about winning money? lol it's the mind set you have to ignore all that and do what you need to do to win in those games and try not to make any friends, it's boring but your getting paid for nothin. the crazy thing to understand the vaule between all games is pretty easy to see what their about.

Magic

Pro tour (travel on bus,good prize support, money cash out)

Obsend promos that range from $20,000 and Up

Huge player base

very skillful players and year round veterans

Bad Community depending on who it is

Yugioh

Pro tour (Limited addition cards,good prize suport, money cash out)

huge player base

brainless and staple decks

decent promos that range from $10 - 50,000

overall worst community

UFS

Only Four major tournaments threw out the year (nationals,canadian,worlds,UK) (ok prize suuport, own very card)

Decent player base

overly run cards of majority (blood run true,lotus,heel snipe,etc)

lack of different promos, but now to see a whole array of promos

best community in tcg

Pokemon

Pro tour (nationals, regionals) I think they pay for travel and college?

Obscene player base

broken pokemon that should be ban on spot

lack of promos

ok community unless you like screaming little kids (lol)

Naruto

Pro tour oh excuse me genin and jonin exam (lol)

decent player base

broken decks too technical

okay promos

weird community? would you want a guy dress up as sakura playing you or someone thinks he's actually doing jutsu?

That's my view how i see the card game

Goo said:

The question i have to ask everyone is what has ufs done for you lately?

That depends on what you mean by UFS. Do you mean the card game itself? Eh it's entertaining to an extent, but the meta is just as crappy these days as back then with the same decks (just different toons) playing the same cards winning.

If you mean the company: Absolutly nothing. They never have shown to me that they given two rat droppings about their player base, going so far as to call one of them an idiot or something along those lines (even if it was Scott Gaines ;o) ).

My main point in this whole discussion was that there should be some incentive to play. Yes you can win a card of yourself, but you have to win a major tournament held in either Columbus Ohio, Indianapolis Indiana, Toronto Ontario, Lescester England, or wherever they put Canadian Teams (cause if it's in Kenora again, I'm going down to FFG headquarters and personally powerbombing the idiot who decides that). Do I want cash prizes? Meh... I just want something. The fact that some of the prize support from the SAS was Warrior's Dream boxes was a joke. As hard as Jay worked to get this thing going, the prize support for the SAS was somewhat lacking. I ended up top eighting the first day and I got one Stand Off (for preregging), and a picture of all the Street Fighter Alpha bosses. Cool, but in the end helped me little to continue to build my block 4 collection.

We were told that there'd be Soul Caliber and Street Fighter 4 games for prizes. Couldn't FFG shell out the hundred or so bucks for a copy each of the game? I'm glad Vik got his plain ticket, but I doubt FFG fitted the bill for that either. Heaven help them if I won and Jasco and Jay would have to pay for an international flight.

B-Rad said:

wherever they put Canadian Teams (cause if it's in Kenora again, I'm going down to FFG headquarters and personally powerbombing the idiot who decides that)

[Nitpicking]

Central Canadian Championships - Were held in Kenora for both 2007 & 2008

Canadian Teams Championships were held as follows:
2007 - Winnipeg
2008 - Winnipeg
2009 - Montreal

[/Nitpicking]

*raises hand*

Does anybody else play this game because it's just a good ******* game? =/

MarcoPulleaux said:

*raises hand*

Does anybody else play this game because it's just a good ******* game? =/

Yes. Also because I love most of our players. They've become my good friends, and i wouldn't trade the experiences I've had with everyone for anything.

however. This doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see better support. I'll still play. A lot of us will. I don't think that's the point. I think they're saying bringing in new players is the point; helping the game to grow. *Shrug* Nothing i can say that wasn't said in the four pages above. Game is fun and that's why i play it; other games have better support, but i'm not going to start playing them on a consistent basis. I think part of the problem would be that if UFS DOES start offering better incentives, we run the risk of getting those ****** players that are there ONLY for the prizes, and that's what i so strongly dislike about a lot of other communities.

Ending statement:

Hell, I'd LOVE to be able to get a little more back from the time and money I put into the game. I won't quit playing because of that, but eventually it won't be worth driving all over the country. For now i really consider that time to go hang out with my friends more than time to play UFS. At least it's enjoyable again!

P.S. I've had Super Mario Brothers sitting unattended during my typing this post, and now I dont' think i'll ever get the 'waiting' music out of my friggen head.

P.P.S. for those who are concerned, Jasper (a.k.a. Tiny Cat) had his balls chopped off. he is no longer known strictly as "Harbols" He looks rather pathetic.