MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Those last two blew my mind, specially the R-Type inspired G1-A. The force unit looks fantastic too! It should have its own pilot card and rules :lol:

Here's the third of my SHMUP inspired ships. Unlike the Arrowhead and the Vic Viper the 'inspired' part is far more emphasized with this model. At its core lies an extremely heavily converted Starviper but you might need to squint a bit to see the resemblance, both to Ikaruga, and an actual Starviper. Despite that I'm very pleased with this one. The last picture includes a comparison to the actual Ikaruga.

*Edit* for some reason most of the pictures I uploaded earlier never showed up, and instead the text featured above replaced them, but with a different font. Truly curious. Anyway, it's been fixed now.

uc?export=download&id=1JLnKyL7c_eKM2oqyb

uc?export=download&id=1pVWMPdxzh8MOCU57g

uc?export=download&id=17cRUuSuM_N8iXPGSs

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Ken.

I'm in Love with your Shmups !

Infact.

As I have been so inspired by your builds, I'm building two at the moment.

One is very close to a Vic Viper.

The other looks like a love child of a Tomcat, Protectorate and a Macross VF 11....no pun intended !

Soon as I caught a glimpse of your first Shmup fighter.

I thought...Awsome....what's a Shmup !

Wasn't until I went researching on the web did I realise what they were.

80's throwback.

I remember putting many coins into those Arcade machines....Ha Ha remember those.

Thanks for the inspiration Ken.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

All the best.

Barry.

Ken.

I'm in Love with your Shmups !

Infact.

As I have been so inspired by your builds, I'm building two at the moment.

One is very close to a Vic Viper.

The other looks like a love child of a Tomcat, Protectorate and a Macross VF 11....no pun intended !

Soon as I caught a glimpse of your first Shmup fighter.

I thought...Awsome....what's a Shmup !

Wasn't until I went researching on the web did I realise what they were.

80's throwback.

I remember putting many coins into those Arcade machines....Ha Ha remember those.

Thanks for the inspiration Ken.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

All the best.

Barry.

Ironically, while I played a lot of arcade games as a kid, I generally didn't spend a lot of money on SHMUPs. I suppose it was because they often were too hard for me to master at that stage in my life. Anyway, it's great that I've been able to wake up some long forgotten memories. Nostalgia is great! :)

Also, inspiration is mutual. Your creations inspire me and vice versa. For instance, while I most likely will build a version of your Z-95 BSG Viper, far more importantly it gave me the necessary inspiration and ideas to create the current SHMUP based ship I'm working on. It will be a few weeks before I can finish it though.

That is a work of art. Really inspired, beautifully executed. While I love all your stuff, that is one of the most unique things you have done despite it being based on a design.

You have skillz.

:D

Don't you mean 'Mad skillz'? ;)

No Macross, you have a very specific set of skills....

scratch building!!! not like I was insinuating something else.... :ph34r:

As a new player just stumbling across your work i'm truly inspired. I've draw up my own ship i'd like to make. Would i be able to impose on you and ask if i could send my skectch to you for your opinion on how best to create it?

I'm also a HUGE Macross fan and that what lead me to click on your link first. I'm sure ill be back again and again.

Do we really have to prop up your ego? Ok, what about epic l337 mad skillz.

:P

Now go make us some more rad spaceships to drool over!!!

Here's the third of my SHMUP inspired ships. Unlike the Arrowhead and the Vic Viper the 'inspired' part is far more emphasized with this model. At its core lies an extremely heavily converted Starviper but you might need to squint a bit to see the resemblance, both to Ikaruga, and an actual Starviper. Despite that I'm very pleased with this one. The last picture includes a comparison to the actual Ikaruga.

*Edit* for some reason most of the pictures I uploaded earlier never showed up, and instead the text featured above replaced them, but with a different font. Truly curious. Anyway, it's been fixed now.

IkarugaFin1.jpg

IkarugaFin2.jpg

IkarugaFin3.jpg

IkarugaFin4.jpg

20120405_392147.jpg

I'm in love with that ship ! :D

Awesome looking stuff in this thread! Keep up the good work.

Haven't even gone through all the pages :)

As a new player just stumbling across your work i'm truly inspired. I've draw up my own ship i'd like to make. Would i be able to impose on you and ask if i could send my skectch to you for your opinion on how best to create it?

I'm also a HUGE Macross fan and that what lead me to click on your link first. I'm sure ill be back again and again.

I apologize but I completely missed your post until now. Anyway, the answer is yes, feel free to send ask me questions and send me sketches (I'll take it as a form of fan mail ;) ).

Do we really have to prop up your ego? Ok, what about epic l337 mad skillz.

:P

Now go make us some more rad spaceships to drool over!!!

My ego is never big enough!

Holy Moly! That last SHMUP is shm-uper duper good.

How cool would it be to have some of these beautiful ships from you, BlueFrog, Barry Harker, et al., travelling around the world in some kind of art show at tournaments? Or at least at the next Star Wars Celebration.

I apologize but I completely missed your post until now. Anyway, the answer is yes, feel free to send ask me questions and send me sketches (I'll take it as a form of fan mail ;) ).

No apologies needed. it took a while to get my first post approved. I sent you the pictures to your email account. for some reason I can't upload pictures to my gallery to post them here. I eagerly await you tutelage. I love doing mods and fielding unique ships. I've never played this game before but I have done mods and repaint of Heroclix and I'm hoping those skill translate to the awesome star wars universe.

Here is the fourth in my series of SHMUP based conversions; the D117B Axelay, from the game Axelay. This is a game which I personally consider to be one of the greatest SHUMPs of all time. It is currently the last in this line of designs, though who knows when inspiration might strike again?
The base for the conversion is a bog standard Z-95 but aside from the main fuselage and parts of the engines, not much of the original model remains. The additions on the other hand have been sourced from over seven different resin and plastic kits, not to mention some plasticard as well. Like the Ikaruga before it, it is almost a completely different ship.

uc?export=download&id=1yr2lF4roD7A4mJDq6

uc?export=download&id=17y42Rd3yRHITXGSLt

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Keep doing those mind-blowing SHMUP conversions and someone will have to come up with an X-Wing miniatures mod to play it sideways...

Keep doing those mind-blowing SHMUP conversions and someone will have to come up with an X-Wing miniatures mod to play it sideways...

I know of a board game that basically does this, though I have never played it myself. A quick google search revealed the game to be Battle at Kembles Cascade.

Also, as I wrote above, this is currently the last in this line of ships. Of course, just as I write this I can feel inspiration creeping up on me. I wonder if it would be feasible to convert a Millennium Falcon model into the Big Core boss from Gradius?

Edited by MacrossVF1

I know of a board game that basically does this, though I have never played it myself. A quick google search revealed the game to be Battle at Kembles Cascade.

Also, as I wrote above, this is currently the last in this line of ships. Of course, just as I write this I can feel inspiration creeping up on me. I wonder if it would be feasible to convert a Millennium Falcon model into the Big Core boss from Gradius?

I still have the Star Wars Action Fleet A-wing that I first saw that color scheme on. I don't care how much it is worth. Never parting with it! Great job on all the models!

And here's the last paint job of the year, another GX1 Short hauler, painted as the ship known as the Phoenix.

uc?export=download&id=1K8y4dcPtElwwerYfH

uc?export=download&id=1Lc_UI-1CHYp7UGGRD

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Amazing work, as always! I like the colour scheme and the blaster shots. Well done!

Happy New Year!

Looking very smart Ken.

Is that another one of your scratchbuilds ?

Have you made an attempt at building a Viper yet......would love to see what you come up with !

All the best and Happy new year.

Barry.

Someone is slacking, I don't see any custom painted or modified U-wings or Striker's yet! xD

That's Because FFG are slacking !

They may be out in America....But not in Europe yet !

Here in the UK we were supposed to get them.....But no retailer did.

Ken can't work miracles if there is no canvas to work on !