MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

There's a word to describe this ARC .. it might be in English, it may be in a different language, it might have even been whispered by the most holy of monks in the deepest recesses of the most ancient monasteries when true enlightenment has been reached. I don't know that word yet but it certainly applies to this ARC.

Nice! Removing the guns really improves the model.

Looks really great :)

But I think it looks more like an A6M ^^

The wing shape, The color plus the red Alliance markings, the yellow cowlings.

Another amazing job.

I think I'll have to pick up one of these now. Maybe two. lol

I dont remember if I asked, but you do commisions on paint jobs :P *opens wallet for a moth for fly free* someday...maybe....

Amazing paint jobs!

Lately I've drawn inspiration from old SHMUPs, in this case Vic Viper from Gradius series of games. Gradius were perhaps the first SHMUP I ever encountered as a wee lad, and the NES version of the game was without a doubt the first SHMUP I owned. As such it is perhaps only fitting that it is the first ship that has gotten the SHMUP treatment. What's that I hear you say? The first? Oh yes, there will be more in this 'line' of ships.

uc?export=download&id=1ExE0b_3G14XA_8jml

uc?export=download&id=1khwFENWRrLKsytk_p

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Ha ha SHMUP . That was a long time ago... It's funny how closely the ship from Gradius & the Protectorate Starfighter resemble one another.

A lot of subtle modding going on here. If you didn't know what changed, you may not even notice without a side-by side comparison. Excellent work!

You should know, now I'm going to expect some pretty extreme wings and guns on the next ship.

You should know, now I'm going to expect some pretty extreme wings and guns on the next ship.

Oh yes, the next one will not be quite as subtle. :)

Quite the opposite, IMO. I mean for starters it looks under -armed now, as if it completely lacks forward firepower, and the wings just look...boring. Part of the ARC's shtick is carrying bigger guns than needed.

Hello Ken, Loving the Protectorate Fighter Conversion, :D

I can see there is a lot of work gone in to that little model !

nice Lines, and flowing form, really suits the ship.

its giving me ideas to modify some of my Pro ship's.....as I have bought another two to do something with.

Excellent.

All the best,

Barry.

Quite the opposite, IMO. I mean for starters it looks under -armed now, as if it completely lacks forward firepower, and the wings just look...boring. Part of the ARC's shtick is carrying bigger guns than needed.

I knew the removal of the guns would be a divider. Some people like it while others don't. Personally I look at it from the perspective of the aircraft that inspired the paintjob and indeed other similar aircraft. Attack aircraft like the Mitchell just didn't have guns at the tips of the wings. Any heavy weaponry were located in the main fuselage or at the very least close to the main fuselage. Basically I felt it didn't make sense to keep the wing guns on my ARC-170.

its giving me ideas to modify some of my Pro ship's.....as I have bought another two to do something with.

Excellent.

All the best,

Barry.

A lot of the work I've done to the ship is rather subtle, but it obviously works as intended. One guy even thought it was a Shapeways model!

Excellent.

All the best,

Barry.

A lot of the work I've done to the ship is rather subtle, but it obviously works as intended. One guy even thought it was a Shapeways model!

:D

And now the number has risen to two . I take it as high praise indeed when people can't tell the difference between my conversion and a 3D-printed ship.

And here's the second SHMUP inspired ship; The R-9A Arrowhead from the R-type series. And yes, I did scratch build a Force unit even though it will never ever be used on the battlefield.

uc?export=download&id=11Mq7GgWVWf6fo5P98

uc?export=download&id=1qbLDHenjAsQ4cyPTX

uc?export=download&id=1FlQjLtz3VRRs___oN

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Lately I've drawn inspiration from old SHMUPs, in this case Vic Viper from Gradius series of games. Gradius were perhaps the first SHMUP I ever encountered as a wee lad, and the NES version of the game was without a doubt the first SHMUP I owned. As such it is perhaps only fitting that it is the first ship that has gotten the SHMUP treatment. What's that I hear you say? The first? Oh yes, there will be more in this 'line' of ships.

VicViperFin1.jpg

VicViperFin2.jpg

VicViperFin3.jpg

VicViperFin4.jpg

Yes PLEASE. :)

How can one person be so good at what they do?! It's... too... much... goodness... * PoP! * There goes my eyeball.

Now all I need to hear is that you've only been doing this since last Christmas.

Wow...

How do you...gah. Macross your work is ridiculously good, even with the simple use of two colors with minimal complimentary highlights.

Mac, between you, Gadge, Barry and Blue Frog, you're forcing me to buy a thesaurus. I'm getting frustrated using the same superlatives for your collective works!

Beautiful work!

Stunning work as always!

*is speechless*

:blink: :wub:

I don't know how you get these looking so CLEAN man, they're awesome.

I've been inspired, I think I'm going to pick up some plasticard and see what I can do...

Mac, between you, Gadge, Barry and Blue Frog, you're forcing me to buy a thesaurus. I'm getting frustrated using the same superlatives for your collective works!

Beautiful work!

Try astounding, I don't get to hear that too often. ;)

How can one person be so good at what they do?! It's... too... much... goodness... * PoP! * There goes my eyeball.

Now all I need to hear is that you've only been doing this since last Christmas.

Pop that eyeball right back in, you are going to need it if you wish to continue to view my work. :)

And no, I have not been doing this just a year, in fact it's more like 25 years for painting and 5 years for scratch building.

I've been inspired, I think I'm going to pick up some plasticard and see what I can do...

Plasticard is something every modeler should have. That and a well stocked bits box.

Beautiful work!

Try astounding, I don't get to hear that too often. ;)

Pop that eyeball right back in, you are going to need it if you wish to continue to view my work. :)

And no, I have not been doing this just a year, in fact it's more like 25 years for painting and 5 years for scratch building.

Plasticard is something every modeler should have. That and a well stocked bits box.

Such modesty! Lol