MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Thank you man!

Did you ever make tutorials on some of your techniques? All of my work is quite juvenile and Fine Scale Modeler handles the large models and not small miniatures like we paint (you paint, I'm still finger painting). Between you and Barry I'm ready to go back to 1/72 scale and up!

I do dabble in tutorials from time to time, but most are about conversions, modding and/or scratch building. I generally feel as if I don't have much to contribute in terms of painting tutorials, compared to what can already be found on the interwebs that is. Of course, I'm always ready to answer any questions you might have.

As you seem to be a pro at these scratch built ships, what scale do you use? And where do you get you sheet plastic at? I noticed board and batten, Is this similar to what is used for model trains? Got any plans we could start with to teach ourselves how to do these. I makes molds myself and these would be great to create molds around as some of these are rather expensive. Of course they won't look as nice but I prefer hand built with LED lights. These would be perfect for that.

As you seem to be a pro at these scratch built ships, what scale do you use? And where do you get you sheet plastic at? I noticed board and batten, Is this similar to what is used for model trains? Got any plans we could start with to teach ourselves how to do these. I makes molds myself and these would be great to create molds around as some of these are rather expensive. Of course they won't look as nice but I prefer hand built with LED lights. These would be perfect for that.

I apologise for not answering sooner but I haven't logged on for a few days so I've completely missed your message. Anyway, you have a lot questions so I'll break it down into pieces.

X-wing (and Star Wars in general) and scale is not as set in stone as one might think but is rather malleable, especially for epic ships as those use a sliding scale. Basically, the bigger the ship, the smaller the scale. Also, when doing scratch builds, I'm tend to work with very limited information, and many ships lack an official scale. As such I often have to guess the actual size of a ship.

I get my plasticard from all over the place though I suppose the brand I've used the most is Evergreen Scale Models .

Board and Batten is indeed one type of plasticard I sometimes use, and it is originally meant for model trains. In fact, I'm fairly certain that a big chunk of the plasticard business originate from the model train hobby.

I have actually already written a set of scratch building tutorials aimed at beginners, though I suppose I should get of my lazy arse and get them moved to this sub-section. Anyway, here's the link .

I've started looking into mold making myself, though for the moment I haven't had time to do much more than ask questions and read about the subject on the interwebz. Hopefully I'll be able to start some small scale casting some time before the year is over.

And yes, it would be quite awesome if some of the ships I've built got an LED makeover. It is another subject I want to explore but haven't had the time to do so. Unlike mold making and casting however I already have some basic knowledge of electronics, (I've dabbled quite a bit with RC aircraft) so I think it would likely be rather easy for me to learn the craft, if I only had the time that is. Ah time, how we like to lament over its absence. :)

Edited by MacrossVF1

I just gotta say that Imperial Light Cruiser is beautiful. I really wanna make one.

Time for another repaint! This time Hera's A-wing from Star Wars Rebels.

HeraAwingFin1.jpg

HeraAwingFin2.jpg

HeraAwingFin3.jpg

HeraAwingFin4.jpg

Ken.

Your work as always is Fantastic.

But I adore this A Wing !

I will get round to painting some "Rebels" A wings at some point.

Although I may mod the cannons to look like the chunky versions in the Anime.

And I will use the colour of your model as a starting reference.

Great job.

Really like it.

All the best,

Barry.

Ken.

Your work as always is Fantastic.

But I adore this A Wing !

I will get round to painting some "Rebels" A wings at some point.

Although I may mod the cannons to look like the chunky versions in the Anime.

And I will use the colour of your model as a starting reference.

Great job.

Really like it.

All the best,

Barry.

Glad you like it. If you are interested, I have detailed how I painted it on my blog. However I must say that it was a strange ship to paint. As most miniature painters will tell you, this many 'main' colours is generally frowned upon as the model will lack focus. Strangely though, this paint scheme somehow works despite everything conventional rule going against it.

More ships inspired by Robotech/Macross

Technically these ships are painted to represent the ships of the pilot characters from the 1984 movie Macross: Do You Remember Love? So the yellow T-70 belongs to Roy Focker (Roy Fokker in Robotech), the B-wing is Hayao Kakizaki (Ben Dixon), the A-wing Maximillian Jenius (Max Sterling) and the red T-70 is Hikaru Ichijyo (Rick Hunter).

uc?export=download&id=1phNtwDvRMNjS4jxXV

uc?export=download&id=1EFLuf6EG8NUpizHVP

uc?export=download&id=1aQRhVcxyQ7kTWx-N8

uc?export=download&id=14FDh11aA3Mf7lZqtt

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Reminds me of Voltron. :) Love the simple scheme and the theme that ties everything together.

I'm SO happy to see Macross/Robotech getting some love. Story-wise, the Robotech series was so unlike anything I had been exposed to in children's animation.

(Realistic romance? And characters could actually die?!)

The live action movie's time has probably already come and gone sadly, but seeing this makes me happy.

My favorite paint job here: Ben's B-wing mainly for that angled green/black stripe and where you placed them; it's just perfect.

Excellent work MacrrossVF1!

I really like the T-70s.

I would not be surprised if a variation of that paint scheme made it into my collection at a future date :)

Edited by Red 7

I watched and loved both Macross and Robotech as a kid, so this all looks awesome to me. I especially love the Skull Squadron emblems on Roy's wings. The stripes on the B-Wing's horizontal wings even recalls the chest plate markings on the original liveries. Awesome little detail.

Only thing missing is a red A-Wing to match Max's.

Since they are for the rebellion I would probably dry brush them to show re-entry burns or battle damage.

Since they are for the rebellion I would probably dry brush them to show re-entry burns or battle damage.

That wouldn't really fit with the source material. Now I might remember it wrong but Macross mechs are seldom, or possibly never, seen dirty, except when already destroyed.

That wouldn't really fit with the source material. Now I might remember it wrong but Macross mechs are seldom, or possibly never, seen dirty, except when already destroyed.

If you check out the old (exceedingly rare, sadly) Macross Modeling Manuals they put out waaaaaay back, there were some nicely battle weathered Destroids and Valkyries, so it's not unheard of.

The sexy ARC-170 has gotten a Macross_VF1-make over. BTW that sounds naughty. Anyway, this represent a ship flown by the Razor Squadron, an elite clone unit during the Clone Wars. While the paint scheme is quite good looking, it was rather tedious to actually paint. Also, for some reason the blue appears slightly gold-ish to my eyes. I hope it's just my photo set up, otherwise we might have a case of whether the dress is blue or gold.

uc?export=download&id=1KwNE8WRrloBHyWWPS

uc?export=download&id=1FvcFKJ1IoiiJhFLZd

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Love the weathering :D

The sexy ARC-170 has gotten a Macross-make over. BTW that sounds naughty. Anyway, t his represent a ship flown by the Razor Squadron, an elite clone unit during the Clone Wars. While the paint scheme is quite good looking, it was rather tedious to actually paint. Also, for some reason the blue appears slightly gold-ish to my eyes. I hope it's just my photo set up, otherwise we might have a case of whether the dress is blue or gold.

RazorArcFin1.jpg

RazorArcFin2.jpg

RazorArcFin3.jpg

RazorArcFin4.jpg

Everything you do is a work of art. ****, I would love to see this one in particular in a glass case for display.

Fickle's gonna die for it :D !

Great job!

Great job!

Yeah, he probably would, ARC-oh-phile that he is. ;)

Great job!

Yeah, he probably would, ARC-oh-phile that he is. ;)

That's why i Just linked this post to him, just to be sure he does not lose this piece of arc... ehm, art ;)

Sweet frakin' ba-jesus! Not a fan of the Arc's looks, but that is amazing.

:wub:

Another ARC-170, this time inspired by WW2 US medium bombers, more specifically B-25 Mitchells. I named it the Executive Sweet after the real-life, and still operational, B-25 by the same name.

uc?export=download&id=1vgmD6JH7Jk4hxqvYi

uc?export=download&id=1vTawBIY4TX36Vzh6a

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I know it's obvious, but Star wars ships always look good with WW2 paint schemes.

Wow! Amazing work, as always!

I like this ARC more than the other, perhaps due to the windows colour contrast and the engine's weathering.

Congratulations for Hera's A-Wing too ;) .

Regards!