MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

just found this thread.. OMG, love, love LOVE it.. :blink: :wub:

Hey Ken.

How did you get your post moved back into the Painting Forum?

Great work as usual by the way.

All the best

Barry

i want that Arquitens-class light cruiser something fierce lol. I really wish i knew how people could build things with plasticard so precisely...i pretty much have to do it on the fly so it never looks very good.

i want that Arquitens-class light cruiser something fierce lol. I really wish i knew how people could build things with plasticard so precisely...i pretty much have to do it on the fly so it never looks very good.

1) Get as much reference material as possible.

2) Patience, patience and more patience.

3) Measure twice, cut once.

1) Get as much reference material as possible.

2) Patience, patience and more patience.

3) Measure twice, cut once.

4) Measure thrice, cut wrong anyway.

5) Curse the world for wasting some plasticard

6) Meaure a fourth time, cut correctly this time.

:P

Definitely the best Wayfarer yet.

I really like the paint job on this one.

How does this ship work on the tabletop?

Is it a stand in for the millennium Falcon, firespray...?

I know the first one I built is usually used as a Firespray, though nothing stops it being used as something else.

The best line I ever heard, spoken in complete seriousness was, "I cut it twice and it was still too short". He was measuring and cutting columns for a 1/35 scale diorama. He measured then cut but the column was too long so he measured again and cut again and lo' the column was too short. Up to the day he passed he still hadn't figured what went wrong.

A new repaint, though nothing special this time. Just one of my personal Zeds painted to match my YV-666. This little guy helped me reach top 4 in the local regionals tournament last month.

uc?export=download&id=1eKO6H-9MAizqoHpNy

uc?export=download&id=14IdRZRQ17OvXAw7bj

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Another Great Job Ken :D

Scum and Brown seem to go hand in hand.

Your YV is very well done, But your Z95 is outstanding !

you do certainly put a lot of time and effort into the panels on your models.

Fantastic.

All the Best,

Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

HOW DARE YOU FALL OFF THE FRONT PAGE?! YOU NAUGHTY LITTLE POST! BACK TO THE FRONT WITH YOU WHERE YOU BELONG!!

HOW DARE YOU FALL OFF THE FRONT PAGE?! YOU NAUGHTY LITTLE POST! BACK TO THE FRONT WITH YOU WHERE YOU BELONG!!

Seconded!

I'm more excited for a Macross post than the FFG previews lately!

If I was ever to find out that he/she is off adulting in the real world and not dedicating their time to diligently fill our screens with glorious images of plastic pawn to appease us .. I will be very .. VERY disappointed!

On 2016-07-29 at 11:12 PM, Conandoodle said:

On 2016-07-25 at 2:58 PM, EastCoast said:

Seconded!

I'm more excited for a Macross post than the FFG previews lately!

If I was ever to find out that he/she is off adulting in the real world and not dedicating their time to diligently fill our screens with glorious images of plastic pawn to appease us .. I will be very .. VERY disappointed!

Well then, you will be very dissappointed then. I've recently had my summer vacation and it happened to coincide with the Summer Steam sale. Do the math. :P

Anyway, I'm back, and with another Nashtah Pup.

uc?export=download&id=12i0okqGYhA06F1wqS

uc?export=download&id=1EOZ_sC4nRXLE4hnSe

Stay tuned for more this coming week...

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel? ;)

I do love the way you shade and High-light your models.

A very "graphical" approach, certainly stands out !

Any more Scratch builds on the horizon Ken ?

All the best,

Barry.

I do love the way you shade and High-light your models.

A very "graphical" approach, certainly stands out !

Any more Scratch builds on the horizon Ken ?

All the best,

Barry.

There might be one later this year, if all research surrounding the project pans out. However that one won't be X-wing related so I don't think it would be appropriate to post anything here.

And here is another of the promised repaints. It's my take on the TIE Shuttle, though I took my inspiration from here .

uc?export=download&id=1Z1pbpNeABIIEyQQXA

uc?export=download&id=1O7fY-K9tEkIaCLay3

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

So obvious it's completely subtle. I must admit I first saw the photos before I read anything, and even though the wings are reversed and the 'capped' bomber pod, I didn't notice anything other than a superbly painted model. Excellent work, as always. ;) :wub:

What tool do you use to cut your models? A Dremel-style rotating blade? A straight razor?

It always looks so clean...

Yeah, that. I'm hoping to mod my Fang when it arrives so it's spinny, but cutting it up is not something to which I am looking forward...

In the The Force Awakens artbook, there's actually a pretty neat concept for a tri-lobe TIE shuttle with folding lambda style wings. I'll post if I can find it online.

UPDATED:

The editor won't let me post the image, but here's the URL:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D_SdsBCTKASW4IeRTtMRsCf53DUdbk-TWvmwhXvVcfe6VZzml_rq8dKWjPR06T0ccTrg2KCGUiapmMtzJgcbKjNVKFJndvv7PayrgCvRwDdO9-iqB1qv4W4Or3YwKvVPKyzoeAmd-zknLnnjkTj6OlFxJdOiUOJgzFKB-kR_Bp2EEGe_RcZ7Ldokos5zSM6Hh1gyP4GFygjW_0ax2nhE7As7YcY4uvKP3D2n1VIwaI_oLXYZxM0W1am4Orak9SYpmJGLskXNQXtiHHKG16tNAQqHy9qvDY1ABfH4sCBat66XSINyUvSjBuwTtyKUCpDKCfK1Vi5ZybN22ZRFrHnyW2Ec3_tVqLyrwdrG2n5ofzRedRvYmypbXrq-WMf3yB47PSxPaEl7jBpzxxaSMxN1QAF68oc4JgHGBwyAAQgBmWPHdD0mo7uQTH4YKcdjF5ZDOmHSJsjwcd3ttb4Zyi1g69UUqICBXji7c-XbIyNFx4Gedp3ECQ1uBiT1De8lQkiZLL3LAENeFzMEibcmr4BenhTGkP18UORe4ZXAKo4SN8YY73s5Uru8PjDc4LEU6hgeKbxtyLO3Uci69_Lt-QOPsIGwb4Tuo-4=w902-h1200-no

That's a pretty cool ship. The name is especially awesome!

What tool do you use to cut your models? A Dremel-style rotating blade? A straight razor?

It always looks so clean...

Yeah, that. I'm hoping to mod my Fang when it arrives so it's spinny, but cutting it up is not something to which I am looking forward...

One of the more important tools in my arsenal is the simple razor saw. They come in several sizes and shapes but one thing they have in common is the thin blade and that is crucial for this type of conversion.

Edited by MacrossVF1

And here is a GX-1 Short Hauler, painted to mimic a ship found in Star Wars Rebels.

uc?export=download&id=12Njzr5yWc_KGT5y_G

uc?export=download&id=1eOQrncSXbOFRV04Na

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Gorgeous, man. Beautiful!

Another nice little ship, the B-wing Prototype. Unlike most B-wing Prototype repaints this one is fairly heavily converted with the proper weapons pod, a reworked cockpit pod and lots of small details and greebles removed/altered.

uc?export=download&id=1aY6NXGsi2nz5BrC_Y

uc?export=download&id=1lSjBSuMkC0Fh3A54e

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

And here is a GX-1 Short Hauler, painted to mimic a ship found in Star Wars Rebels.

StarbusFin1.jpg

StarbusFin2.jpg

StarbusFin3.jpg

StarbusFin4.jpg

Edited by Jaffamaster

If I recall, Macross models all of his work in physical media, not 3D design and printing. Painstakingly more work, but with far crisper details against anything printed in less than a high end SLA printer. I shudder to think at how much fixing a ship printed in 1/270 scale needs in order to look as clean as a ship that was made by hand. Even parts of certain production ships still have print lines or CNC lines visible on them, especially if the paint is stripped off.