The Off-Topic Garbage Thread

By Nimsim, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

FFGEvan

Ah yes. Thanks. See? You can tell he's afiliated with FFG.

Now that i think about ot, are regular peeps alowed to choose names that start with FFG?

Oh just close the thread already. :P

That's what you get Robin, for not posting a smiley to show sarcasm. :P

What is this "sarcasm" you speak of? :D

Eh nevermind. :D It's weird that you didn't realize Tim is a mod here, I just assumed it must have been sarcasm. ;)

No really, I never had to deal with any of the admins on this site. And most threads ive seen closed were done by -i forget his name- with that gandalf avatar. And his tile sais "member" i fugured if your amod it should say "mod" or "admin" or such.

I really tought he was just some guy complaining.

No worries—I was a forum member before joining FFG and they just kept my account as is. There are a couple of other staffers like this.

@Tim - the meanest thing I could find said about GW was that their prices are too high and that that is bad for their business in the long run. And that GW used to be cool back when X was a thing. The tone has mostly been of disappointment, rather than angry ranting. Overall pretty tame discussion, so I don't fully understand what prompted your warning.

Are these the things we're not allowed to discuss?

Those kinds of discussions aren't really appropriate here; dissing other companies isn't something that should be happening in our forums. Talking about other games and how cool they were/are is certainly fine of course. I'm a huge Mordheim fan myself; I wrote a couple of supplement bits for it.

I will say one thing on this matter:

I really really wish we could say nice things about GW. I really do. Let's all hope FFG never gets in a similar situation.

So we can talk about Mordheim for a bit? All right.

I play the game as is with the only house rule that you can parry your opponent's other attacks if he rolls a 6 (so he rolls a 6 and a 4, you can still attempt to parry the 4). I read the Coreheim thing a bit, didn't looked fun at all. If you play Fantasy/40k you can play Mordheim. If not, you can still play Mordheim, just need to learn the terms and you're set.

I fail to see how the rules are a 'trainwreck'. Or is there something I fail to see?

Mordheim's combat is quick, nasty, and pretty straight forward to me; parrying adds a layer to the combat, armour is not as useless as most people assume...granted, as with Dark Heresy, the people at my local gaming club and I see it less as what is better on the die, but what fits more your warband­ type.

My Reiklanders got swords, even the two-handed weapon guy got a sword!

The Dwarven warband is all about axes+shields and pistols and getting stuck in.

Beastsmen are armed with blunt weapons or axes with shields, only the leader got a sword.

etc etc...

More flavour in (or with) the gear choice than cold, hard mathematics (better chance of stun with clubs so everyone gets a club!) It's a game where you can jump 3 floors to attack a guy and not get killed if you somehow control your fall, fail that, get KO and wake up in a fighting pit having to fight some crazy guy with a morning star for your life and others' entertainment. Or turns out your skullcap took most of the blow and you're perfectly fine. Or you lost an eye.

With Mordheim I like how you could loose a fight but gain more by finding more wyrdstone and other stuff after the battle.

With Mordheim I like how you could loose a fight but gain more by finding more wyrdstone and other stuff after the battle.

Yeah, that was a feature of Nercomunda , too: with the 'underdog' x.p. bonus, you could lose games while closing the gap with a higher-value opponent, rather than just fall further and further behind (which is a problem with most mini campaign systems I have seen). Mordheim improved on Necromunda in one important way: income was based solely on how many guys you had to look for wealth, rather than randomly-rolled Territories, which could leave a player permanently hamstrung if they roll poorly at gang creation.

In the Afterward of Gorkamorka , the game designers said that they were planning on launching a whole series of 40K skirmish games based in different exotic settings from throughout the 40Kverse (Death Worlds, Eldar Craftworlds, etc), but, alas, Gorkamorka sold poorly (not enough variety in factions, i.m.o.), so that never came to pass...

I fail to see how the rules are a 'trainwreck'. Or is there something I fail to see?

It's been a long, long while, but from what I remember armor is useless, ranged attacks win the day, and greater numbers is the correct strategy (skaven slinger hordes omg). There are some equipment trap options. It's heavily random with regards to character consequences (maybe your guy goes blind or loses a limb or maybe he comes back a fearless badass. This is good or bad depending on the audience).

Compared to modern skirmish minis games like X-Wing (play X-Wing) it's very unrefined. I have nothing but fond memories of it, but I wouldn't play it today.

Having faced armoured opponent, I can assure you that armour is not the worthless junk people claim it is. I admit it is costly, but a heavy armour+shield is a tough nut to crack.

Ranged is powerful,but if your game surface is being open, no buildings or cover, then you're lacking terrain piece. Shooting is challenging and hard (-1 BS due to cover all the time, then -1 becasue you moved, -1 because it's over half range etc etc..) and you can hit the guy without him hitting back, but it's not to all-powerful thing.

As for more guys=more chance of winning, that's a given; 20 guys means you got to loose 5 to start making break tests, comparted to 2 or 3 for most other warbands...but like I said, we game to play, so we might not see the ol' skaven sling train.

Not sure what you mean by 'equipment traps'..As for the randomness of post-game wounds, it is really like real life; one can loose an eye, while another can simple live with a horrible scarred face and some extra wisdom.

As for X-wing, the models are nice, but I never got into it, I don't like the SW universe that much. The special coloured dice with start cards and special cards is what turned me off; it feels like a mash-up of 3-4 games rolled into a skirmish fighter game.

And in other news, The Best country in the World (Dominion of Canada btw) is now ran by a drama teacher who's only political background is being the son of a former prime minister.

And like Obama, he promised ,change' and people bought it...only change people are gonna get is what's left in their pocket after the tax hikes....

Change isn't good. Change is one of the four powers of chaos. Don't these people play warhammer (40K)? :D

I would think that with 3d printing you wouldn't need to buy more toy soldiers, or is it mandatory that they are made of metal?

I would think that with 3d printing you wouldn't need to buy more toy soldiers, or is it mandatory that they are made of metal?

It's not mandatory, but I can count the number of people I know who own a 3D printer on my fingers and still have about 10 of 'em left...

Also those things are still to slow. Imagine if you have to print out an entire skaven or 'nid swarm...

And in other news, The Best country in the World (Dominion of Canada btw) is now ran by a drama teacher who's only political background is being the son of a former prime minister.

And like Obama, he promised ,change' and people bought it...only change people are gonna get is what's left in their pocket after the tax hikes....

The fools! They should have voted for Right Wing 'Trickle Down' Economics- because that system has worked extra-super-great here in the U.S. of A...

Here is a lack of common lore to think that left is synonymous with tax hikes.

The fools! They should have voted for Right Wing 'Trickle Down' Economics- because that system has worked extra-super-great here in the U.S. of A...

We were tired of extra-super-great Right Wing politics, so we changed ;)

Here is a lack of common lore to think that left is synonymous with tax hikes.

Well, that's how it always went here, so yes...got to pay for all those more or less useful social programs..

What.

Holy smokes. For some reason I actually want to believe this is someone's idea of a joke, if only because I'd never thought they would actually pull that sort of stuff back out of the basement. Epic 40k, BFG and Necromunda?!

Now, let's see what they actually make of it... Definitely something to keep an eye on!

Necromunda would interest me indeed. Maybe battlefleet ghotic and even Epic, since they will depict 40k at a level that is more interesting to me.

I'm not surprised, just cynical. They killed off warhammer and what they replaced it with isn't bringing home the bacon, so they will try everything in the hope something catches on. Still good news for us yeah? Also I don't seem this working for epic. If they bring that back tehy will hardly sell any kinghts/superheavy kits at all.

I'm not surprised, just cynical. They killed off warhammer and what they replaced it with isn't bringing home the bacon, so they will try everything in the hope something catches on.

Yeah, but given the past years, I'm surprised they actually do try.

I was really excited about them bringing back Necromunda, until I realized I would probably not be able to afford given the current pricing of models :P

Yeah, I pointed out to a buddy of mine yesterday the price for a Space Marine captain for instance. I won't post his reaction here. 25 € for a tiny (albeit very detailed) plastic miniature. Kind of makes you wonder what the actual targetted audience is for GW's wargames.

I'm very satisfied of what FFG is doing on the other hand with the IP. Keep it up!

Eventually I'll get Forbidden Stars as well, next to Conquest (both are excellent games).

Edited by Gridash