Expansion stalker

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

The card reads Skaven caster or priest . This isn't perfectly clear, as it could a reference a Skaven disk (whether caster or priest) or a skaven caster and any priest, but I think we were supposed to apply the Skaven limiting condition to both keywords. Think of it this way: if I say middle-aged men and women I don't mean middle-aged men and all women everywhere. I probably mean middle-aged men and middle-aged women. If I want to be explicit, I should use the latter construction, but colloquially most English speakers use the former.

I think the same concept applies to this card. To me the card reads as saying that the originating disk must be a Skaven caster or a Skaven priest, so it wouldn't be able to trigger off of a non-Skaven priest unit.

I would also say that judging by the artwork and the way that they have released other faction-specific cards, this was meant to be limited to Skaven alone, regardless of the slight ambiguity. It was also printed in an all-destruction box, increasing the likelihood that it was meant to be destruction only.

That's my take on it, anwyay. :)

Edited by Jedhead

There were lots of such unit desciptions which could have been used in upcoming expansions in warhammer invasion, too. Unit traits like "warriors" or "highborn" (I don´t know the exact words in english cause I play the german version) never received any support. But I guess, if they had pushed the game any further, we would have seen cards that had interacted with them.

I just hope they wont end the game before at least another expansion.

Don´t you think "cloaked in darkness" would be kind of overpowerd used on a whole army? A whole army immune to ranged attacks... This makes me feel it was invented because it can only be used to protect a part of your army.

Edited by Kako K.

Don´t you think "cloaked in darkness" would be kind of overpowerd used on a whole army? A whole army immune to ranged attacks... This makes me feel it was invented because it can only be used to protect a part of your army.

It would only render your army immune to ranged attacks as long as that card is active, meaning that (at most) it would prevent 4 enemy disks from firing at you in a 2-player game.

Also your opponent would still have the chance to activate different disks during that activation step, delaying the use of his or her ranged troops until the effect of Cloaked in Darkness wears off. This actually means a lot in term of strategic counterplay, as it means that during that step three Dark Elf units are free to activate and your opponent can't do much about it (the greater strength of being immune to ranged attacks being, as I see it, the immunity to critical hits that can prevent your units to act). But knowing that, your opponent can opt to use ranged attacks before you reveal CiD, or can try to predict when it would come out and counter it with a Devious card so that he could pin your units with non ranged disks (peventing them from acting anyway) and then fire at the others in the following round. Seen in this perspective, it's a pretty interesting card.

As it is now, its use is still interesting: it forces your opponent's ranged troops to fire at your non-Dark Elf units or not to fire at all for that segment, leaving your vulnerable Harpies and Lokhir free to move around the battlefield. Is it worth playing as it is... well... maaaaybe. I was one of many who were strongly underestimating the power of the Dark Elves disks provided in this expansion. They only saw play three times in our group and every time they proved their worth (maybe we don't know how to counter them yet, or maybe they found a favourable matchup, I don't know, surely three times is not much, but still they are stronger than we thought, so maybe Cloaked In Darkness is not THAT bad in the present environment. No judgement until we try it).

mmm.... Maybe the units with "inmunity" to ranged attacks for "cloaked in darkness" still receiving activation tokens for the critical shots? in that case you can choose firing anyway...

There were lots of such unit desciptions which could have been used in upcoming expansions in warhammer invasion, too. Unit traits like "warriors" or "highborn" (I don´t know the exact words in english cause I play the german version) never received any support. But I guess, if they had pushed the game any further, we would have seen cards that had interacted with them.

I just hope they wont end the game before at least another expansion.

Fair enough. I didn't play WH:I enough to know what keywords and abilities didn't get used well.

However, I think it's safe to say we can still rely on the fact that when they canceled the game, they announced the fact that they were canceling it along with releasing two new expansions. I think that part is very hopeful.

mmm.... Maybe the units with "inmunity" to ranged attacks for "cloaked in darkness" still receiving activation tokens for the critical shots? in that case you can choose firing anyway...

I don't have my cards with me, but I assume if they are immune entirely from ranged attacks, then you can't shoot at them at all. If they are not immune, then it's a valid strategy to shoot them, but not the best strategy.

It says "Ally (Dark Elf symbol) disks gain immune (ranged attack symbol)."

To me that means you cannot even attack them, as it is not damage they are immune to, it is the attack itself. This is different than, say, Teclis, who is immune to arcane damage but not immune to being targeted by a missile attack that deals arcane damage. Thus, he still can be shot by flamers for a potential activation even if he can't be harmed.

Oh thank you guys. I guess we made a huge mistake. We always thought, that if you triggered a card effect like cloaked in darkness or the card which made the dwarves stalward this effect would last until the end of the turn and not only until you played the next card. That was wrong, right?

Oh thank you guys. I guess we made a huge mistake. We always thought, that if you triggered a card effect like cloaked in darkness or the card which made the dwarves stalward this effect would last until the end of the turn and not only until you played the next card. That was wrong, right?

It depends on the card. The benefits provided by most cards expire when they leave play, but some place tokens (which have lasting effects for the entire round). In general, though, once the card is gone, the card effects also are gone.

What do you guys think about the news that organized play is to end after this year´s first season? I don´t get it. Just a month ago they promoted organized play by releasing the new scenario and cards.

In the article they talk about "healthy sales". But they avoided any hints on possible further expansions. It seems like they are saying: We leave the game in peace. The battles will go on even without any support from our side.

Do you think the change in mind comes from realizing the game itself doesn´t sell well? Or couldn´t they just sell enough tournament kits but the game itself does sell well?

Edited by Kako K.

I wasn't playing tournaments anyway. This just means I don't have to buy kits to get the content I want.

I think the important points can be seen directly from the article:

- game is seen by FFG as a casual game, with players showing very low interest in competative play

- therefore, no tournament kits will be sold in the future

What is not NOT the article, and what would be pure speculation:

- the further development of the game will end now, and no further expansions will appear

Fine with me, I do not participate in tournaments, but like to play with my friends.

Edited by Katsuyori

I think the important points can be seen directly from the article:

- game is seen by FFG as a casual game, with players showing very low interest in competative play

- therefore, no tournament kits will be sold in the future

Also

- sales for the game are healthy, which means the game sells at least as much as FFG expected.

While this is definitely not a clue of the future release of other expansions, chances are high it means the game won't be closed for selling poorly, 'cause it doesn't.

This sort of fits with what I've been seeing. I tried to set up a tournament at one of my FLGS's when the game came out. Just me and a friend of mine showed up. That said, the owner had told me that the game was hard to keep in stock. That people were buying it. Just not playing it at the store.

From the looks of it, the game really is cheap to make, so I suspect squeezing a profit out if it isn't difficult. Though I could be wrong about this. Again, if they were canceling production, I would have expected some announcement of that fact. So things should be ok. Though I do worry that the lack of tournaments may make the game a harder sell...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

What´s with that long face? Something wrong?

Remember this thread´s name? That long face comes to me at least twice a day ;)

You are not alone.

It'll be year from first official announcement of new expansions on tommorow!!! :D Feeling something coming ^_^

Weird...I was just thinking about how I felt some sort of announcement was coming. I hope you are right. Maybe if we send enough good vibes to FFG it will work.

I will concentrate all of my powers...do not disturb. -_-

(If we are correct, hail us as prophets and oracles, and if we are wrong, I will edit this post so that it never happened)

Mh...I guess that game is done, isn´t it?

Edit: Anyone has any idea what this new scenario (championchip 2015) is all about?

Edited by Kako K.

Kako,

Though development has fallen off, and organized play is over, the game is not done. FFG has a good record of announcing when a game of this type is no longer supported, and they haven't done that. In any case, when they make those announcements, it is usually with the release of some final expansion as well. So I would think we will see at least one last expansion, even if they are ending support of the game.

No one knows what the new scenario is yet, because the last tournament kits aren't out yet. I have ordered one myself, and expect to have it relatively soon though, so once I find out, I'll be sure to let people know. Assuming someone else doesn't see there's first.

So...my daughter keyboard mashed and it won't let me remove the post...

Edited by Jedhead

So many announcements now... When I saw that orc picture, I thought- YES, it's here :( ... Where are DISKWARS!? :huh:

Edited by Iryos

we need another expansion OMFG

iStock_000009612455XSmall_NOW.jpg