Expansion stalker

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

What do you think an bretonnian army in diskwars would look like? Lot´s of expensive knights with impact, low hp and an additional wound? Maybe some cheap peasants with no use except pinning other units. I would love to see such an army!

I think they would need some heroes or some characters that allowed them to break the medium disk restrictions for starters, so that you could take lots of knights if you wanted. The knights should have low toughness, but potentially resistance, and maybe some stamina on the elites. Impact would be a given of course, and cheap peasants (strong bowmen, weak infantry) should also be a feature.

I actually have a whole army list worked up somewhere in case I ever need to create my own--Pegasus knights, grail reliquae, battle pilgrims, mounted yeomen, a few types of peasants, damsels, trebuchet, heroes, and many iterations of knights mostly mounted and a few dismounted. I think I had something like 15 or 16 disks totally planned out and ready to go. I even have command cards prepared. If the army is never developed by FFG (and I know it probably won't be) I fully intend to make it happen on my own somehow!

Sounds great. I would like to see such a list in detail, if you don´t mind posting it here on the forum!?

Anyone, is there a way I can get the new scenarios which came / come with the tournament sets? There is no store around my place and no tournament scene. Nevertheless I wan´t to try them out.

As far as I recall there is one witch-tower scenario and the upcoming bloodstone / beastmen whatever scenario. Both come with additional terrain it seems.

Edit: I´ve just found it myself. Here is a link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2281059/hauntingquestions?size=large

Edited by Kako K.

You could easily use the Witch Fire Tore scenario with the tower provided in the base set. The shapes are different, but the sizes are about the same.

I wouldn't mind posting it up here at some point. I have filled out existing armies as well with my own homebrews. It might be a bit before I get around to posting it, though, as I am currently writing my other posts on hero and unit roles, and Christmas is about to interpose itself as well.

Merry christmas to you guys.

I don´t know if it is legal what I ask of you, so just tell me and I´m fine: Is it possible for someone to post the witchtower from the recent tournament set in original size?

I don´t know if some of you follow the rumors about the future of warhammer tabletop. It seems Games Workshop will destroy the existing fractions and create new ones like humans, dwarfs and ogres united, everything elvish in one army and so on. Some rumors even say lizardmen will be gone completely.

If this will become true I guess it´s the end for warhammer diskwars support as this game still works with the existing armies. What do you think?

Edited by Kako K.

I don't think you need to worry too much. While there will apparently be some combining of armies in the mini's game, this game is separate. It doesn't NEED to follow the same fluff. If our game dies, it will be because of profits. Nothing more or less.

Also, I think the combining in the other game will still leave you able to play all factions as they were, you will just have new options for allies. As for the Lizardmen. Way too popular, as a warhammer fantasy race goes. They aren't disappearing anytime soon. I think GW learned their lesson with squats in 40k. They were essentially space dwarves that ended up cut from the game. Fanboys around the world still howl in rage. ;)

Don't think WFB will be losing Lizardmen any time soon, they got 2 updates in the last few years and are an integral part of the Warhammer universe.

As for Squats, I think GW are prepared to axe any army that don't fit into the existing fluff, rules sets or buisness models, they were only really part of the Empires forces anyhow.

The fanboys may lament the exclusion of Squat armies but I think GW would loose more than just a few fanboys by axing Lizardmen.

Back to the Diskwars game, it's a great system but I think it suffers from 2 things:

1. It's not a Minis game, as a previous poster already mentioned.

2. It's Fantacy, not 40k..... Unfortunatly Fantacy doesn't seem to have the mass appeal that 40k or other "si-fantacy" systems have. I often get the feeling that if you can't shoot the **** out of something in a table top battle game, people just arn't as intrested. Shame really, makes me a bit sad :(

Totally agree with Thrasher´s point concerning WH 40 K and Fantasy. What a shame. The one good thing could be, even if WH DW failed, that we´ll probably see WH 40 K DW. I would prefer Fantasy, but better WH 40 K than nothing at all.

IDK about 40k diskwars. I think there are some unusual barriers for that one. Not that FFG couldn't overcome them, I'd just be skeptical until I saw it. I think the fact that everything has a ranged attack would make it less interesting than Fantasy. Just my 2 cents. Though, they could go with a bigger scale, something like Epic, then you could say that pinning represented more than just close combat, and have ranged attacks as we're used to reserved for things like artillery and titans. But there's also Conquest to think about. We only got Diskwars when Invasion had run its course. I'm not convinced FFG would release two 40k games like this at the same time. But, they have certainly saturated us with Star Wars IP based games, so who's to say? Though, SW is a little more valuable than anything Games Workshop has to offer. ;)

All that said... I'd probably buy it. Diskwars is such a good concept, it would most likely overcome my skepticism. Though I'd really prefer more of this game. I just wish FFG wasn't keeping it under such a tight lid. just some hint of what's to come, even if it were still several months off would make me happier.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

Hello, i represent a lot of people who play Diskwars in Barcelona, Spain. We are a very nice and large group and we organize all kinds of events and tournaments (at present were finishing our winters cup).... We are all concerned about the future of this amazing game, and of course we check EVERY DAY for news, in this community, in the Edge Ent community and of course in the BGG community... but nothings happens, ¿M ickey Mouse maybe we 'd just killing everyone except Star Wars?.... please people of FFG, tell us some news, or more or less wich is the future plan for this game! we need to know, and I think we deserve ...

Best regards

Edited by malbec

I add myself to the list of those who check the FFG homepage every day looking for some good news.

Since my hopes for a 6-month release schedule had been destroyed three months ago, and those of a 9-month release schedule are dwindling faster and faster (but are still high enough) I'm ready to wait until spring for an announcement... but not more than that.

The fact that they are supporting the game through Tournament Kits is an undoubtedly positive sign, so, let's arm with patience and wait...

-_-

-_-

:mellow:

-_-

<_<

:unsure:

No announcement of new expansions yet?

:angry:

:(

:mellow:

-_-

Jjaja... is funny, but also sad :(

We need some news about the future of this game, we are organizing tournaments, we still buying core sets and expansions, we are looking for the besto for this game! but we need some official support from FFG, just one word! cmon!! for example " in the next april we gonna announce new expansions" or something like that!

They most likely won't say anything until they have something ready to announce. But definitely the game is being supported. As I wrote, the Tournament Kits are a good sign, and FFG is not the company to cease support to its (non stand-alone) games without a warning.

I read in another topic someone writing about the fate of Warhammer: Invasion and Tannh ä user : when support for either game was called off ther was an official announcement from FFG, and in both cases the main reason for interrupting support was (according to FFG) they felt the game was "complete" and no further expansion was needed.

Sure there were also economic reasons behind that decision (It would be stupid not to think a business company not to factor investment returns into its product release programs) but I believe appealing to the "completeness" of the game at the time of the announcement was a fair decision.

Warhammer: Diskwars is by no means complete. There's a lot of stuff that can be included. I don't think all of Warhammer Fantasy armies, nor all of the units in the existing armies, but still a good chunk of them is missing. We know that. We can just go to Games Workshop's website to see how many units and heroes there are. And the production model of the two expansions is most likely a teaser of what's to come: here's Dwarfs and Vampire Counts, with a side dish of other stuff, just to let you know we didn't forget about them.

That's my opinion. But I'm the more optimistic Troll in the world, so take it for what it is. ;)

Wait another six months and I promise you wont find any of the actual armies on GWs webpage anymore (maybe except Chaos). Like I said above, rumors have it that we will see some fusions of several armies like only one merged elvenarmy, an army made of men and dwarves and so on. These rumors intensify every day. I guess other games like this one will be affected as well. We should not forget that this game is also an advertising for Games Workshops tabletopgame. I think it is not what GW wants as people starting with diskwars check out GWs website and find out that none of these units can be purchased.

Do you guys know if there are community-managers around who check out these posts and give a feedback to ffg to at least release a slight note about the future of the game? I want some more expansions really bad. But I would almost also be fine with them saying the game is complete. What I don´t like is the actual state not knowing anything.

Edited by Kako K.

Kako, you really need to take all of those rumors with a huge boat load of salt. I've been following GW rumors for some time, and their validity falls something like this. 75% Completely false, 20% You can see where they were coming from, but still not exactly what the rumor said, 4% True from a certain point of view, 1% spot on.

At any rate, GW gets money from the Diskwars IP, they aren't going to kill it, just because it doesn't match their current meta. Even in the most extreme rumors, they go out of their way to say you can use the 8th ed book to represent battles before the End Times, End Times Campaign books to represent the world being torn asunder, and then the new book to represent the new world.

Certainly you are right, the world will be contracted. They've already started merging factions in the End Times. But I'm also certain that the End Times were already in the planning stages when Diskwars came out, and certainly by the time the two expansions came out. Nagash may have even been on the shelf, though I can't quite remember when that book hit relative to the Diskwars releases.

I think Sniper Troll is right. This game will at least be 'completed'. It wouldn't look good for FFG to leave what is clearly half of the intended game unfinished. We will, at the very least, see the four stub races completed before they will kill the game. The question is, how long will that take.

Sniper Troll, if I recall correctly, when they stopped invasion they did while announcing two final expansions, right? Was it the same for Tanhauser?

Sniper Troll, if I recall correctly, when they stopped invasion they did while announcing two final expansions, right? Was it the same for Tanhauser?

Yes, they did it while announcing the Frankenstahl character pack, here's the quote:

An Important Update on Tannhäuser

With the release of Frankenstahl later this year, FFG's development of new content for the Tannhäuser board game will be taking a rest. We feel the Tannhäuser line, with its many options, is currently robust enough to offer a great play experience for new and veteran players alike. We’re happy to say that after six years of publishing, Tannhäuser has matured to include four playable factions, three large expansions, and eighteen miniature packs. With this in mind, we lay aside its further development with pride and move to till other fields. The Tannhäuser board game and its expansions remain in print for the time being, so new players should have clear access to explore the uchronic conflict on their game tables at any time.

We remain genuine fans of Tannhäuser and its universe. We have no doubt that sometime in the future we'll return to explore new game experiences among its dark and winding paths.

As always, thank you for your support.

The page is still in the news archive (12 July 2012), you can find it here .

Edited by TheSniperTroll

I would really like to believe what you say :)

By the way, what makes you guys so sure about ffg completing the four sub races? Could they not just be ment to add some diversity to the 6 core armies?

IDK to be honest. Just a hunch I suppose. I don't think it makes sense to keep things the way they are, when those other races have so much to offer. They don't do a whole lot, as they are, to add variety. They reek with possibilities to expand, and some of their special abilities don't make a lot of sense when mixed with other armies. Drycha's ability to flip forest allies, it helps a little right now, but doesn't feel complete. If they were only meant to support the core races, I think they would have more generic abilities.

I suppose I could be wrong, but since their history as Sniper Troll pointed out is to announce the end of support for a game, along with a final release of expansions, I would suspect it would be the same with this.

Remember, this is classified as a board game. Board game expansions are slower than LCG and Miniature game expansions. I really think we have nothing to worry about right now. Though I think the health of the game would be greatly improved with slightly quicker expansion.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla
Drycha's ability to flip forest allies, it helps a little right now, but doesn't feel complete. If they were only meant to support the core races, I think they would have more generic abilities.

Funny you should bring this up; I was just thinking about this yesterday. Drycha and Lokhir's abilities make me think that they at least have full armies designed for those two factions, because the keywords they trigger are currently a bit underwhelming in a one-regiment army. Not that they are bad, they would just be much more robust in a full army. They seem to have been designed with other disks in mind, so I expect to at least see those other disks at some point. Yes to treekin and treemen, please!

I would really like to believe what you say :)

By the way, what makes you guys so sure about ffg completing the four sub races? Could they not just be ment to add some diversity to the 6 core armies?

The strongest hint is in the announcement article for Hammer&Hold and Legions of Darkness : "announcing the first two expansions for Warhammer Diskwars". (emphasis mine)

Compare with, for example, the announcement articles of the first Blood Bowl: Team Manager , Descent Second Edition , Elder Sign or, more recently (contemporary to WDW) Eldritch Horror . They all refer to the announcement of "an upcoming expansion" though each of these games saw at least another expansion released. Also the two army packs for Battlelore Second Edition were announced as "two upcoming expansions" and not "the first two".

Maybe is just wishful thinking, maybe I'm reading too much between the lines, but to me "first two" implies there are others to come. Not sure when any more, but they will.

Drycha's ability to flip forest allies, it helps a little right now, but doesn't feel complete. If they were only meant to support the core races, I think they would have more generic abilities.

Funny you should bring this up; I was just thinking about this yesterday. Drycha and Lokhir's abilities make me think that they at least have full armies designed for those two factions, because the keywords they trigger are currently a bit underwhelming in a one-regiment army. Not that they are bad, they would just be much more robust in a full army. They seem to have been designed with other disks in mind, so I expect to at least see those other disks at some point. Yes to treekin and treemen, please!

The same goes for the command cards for the four "minor races". Skin to Bark aside (which I believe to be quite strong regardless, and it could only get stronger with more Wood Elf casters and potential targets), the other three cards have somewhat limited utility.

• Leaping Strike is an OK card to me, but basically forces you to activate Chakax and 2 Salamanders to have maximum effect.
  • Vermintide is only useful if you are either aggressive with Ikit Claw (which means ignoring his greater strength which is his Long Range magic attack) or if he gets charged. Sure it's not that bad but has some risk involved. Also note that its requirements read " Skaven Caster or Priest "... while we have a Skaven Caster (Ikit) there's no Skaven Priest in Warhammer: Diskwars (but in Warhammer Fantasy we have Plague Priests and their boss Lord Skrolk - which BTW I'd like to see as a Skaven hero).
  • Cloaked by Darkness is of very limited utility (IMHO) in a non mono-DE army. Not that I'm saying it's completely useless, as it can force your opponent either not to shoot for that round or to shoot to other targets than your frail Harpies and Lokhir. Also by making your Dark Elves immune to ranged attacks it allows you to be a bit more carefree with the Black Ark Corsairs, knowing they won't be hurt by their own ranged attacks. Still, it's a bit too few (IMHO) to consider including this card in a mixed army.

I noticed the priest keyword as well and immediately thought that Plague monks with vermintide would be oh so sweet to see in action. You might actually have a unit worthy of taking into melee who could trigger the ability without sacrificing their utility in the combat phase. The fact that they included a keyword that doesn't exist yet on any disks also makes me think that the plague monks are likely on the docket.

Cloaked in darkness is (sadly) not nearly as effective as it would be with a full army. I like the design of the card, and It isn't bad at all with the current units, but because it is limited to interaction with half your army I agree that it is not worth taking currently. It would become much more effective with more potential targets.

I also think that the likelihood of more disks is indicated in other areas as well. The fact that Rune cards for dwarfs and caster cards for Empire trigger off of only one disk each makes me think that more of those keywords are in the works on other disks.

I understand that Vermintide card can be used by Skavens and also by the Empire Priests!!

Or am i wrong?

Edited by malbec