What system will this use?

By ajtheronin, in Zombie Apocalypse

@ThenDoctor -- I understand your apprehension and reluctance to enter into another system with custom dice... at first, I felt the same way about The Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion. The only thing I can say about the dice and the new SW games is that the dice mechanic used is special. I had to try the Beginner Box version to appreciate it. Please note that I am NOT encouraging you to try/play/purchase/etc.

Margaret Weis rewrote Firefly to use the standard dice sans d20, but still a narrative style game. It is using Cortex Plus w/ a slight variant of Fate (sort of). It works pretty well.

Didn't feel that you were encouraging, don't worry. I don't mind if others play the game. I'm interested in the material as any Star Wars fan is, personally I really enjoy the Sagas edition of the game, but that's neither here nor there. I simply have no wish to play it.

Saw Firefly at Gencon, haven't had the chance to play it. A buddy of mine bought it, I hope that I'll get the chance to play it after we get done with our current Pathfinder game.

I have the Firefly game in both dead tree and pdf formats. I love the system, I just can't seem to find a group wanting/willing to play it. Most folks are interested in the 'Verse, just not to actually play -- sigh. The adventures they produced for the new version are pretty good. So when you get a game started, they are worth a good look.

Which is absurd reasoning.

Also, you can have two sets of dice and be fine playing SW with 5 people. I know we do so that money grabbing scheme really isn’t.

And whether or not RPG dice are no longer „special” to the hobby really has no bearing on the situation, they once were special and had people been as short minded and cynical about it then they would have never come to be an established part of the hobby.

No it's not absurd, it's business.

You may be able to be ok with two sets of special dice, but the group I play with would want their own, we aren't the most generous bunch either. What you do doesn't make it any less of a money grab, you still spent money on two sets of dice only for that system.

It does have bearing because the hobby was founded on a core set of dice to represent chance. They became commonplace for a reason, they work.

It’s business? Two sets of dice is a business? Really?

And it is a money grab? People buying a set of dice is a money grab?

I can see how you would fit in nicely with the ungenerous gamers in your group. To each his own.

Also the „They work” remark would have authority only if the SW dice did not.

Selling sets of dice is business. Yes, really. It's a money grab when they're the only ones feasibly providing the dice to anyone.

What people see is rarely the truth of the matter.

I have no input on the validity of the system, merely that I don't like the design philosophy behind it's chance mechanic and how that's represented physically.

How many different RPG systems does FFG have? There's 17 RPG subforums here in the FFG RPG area (19 if you count the two Star Wars RPG Beginner Games separately). I know the SW games share a system. So does the 40k games. But just how many different systems does FFG have/use?

Personally, I'm familiar with Deathwatch 40k and Star Wars. I feel the former is way more complex than it needs to be. I feel the latter is much better (but even then I jettison some of the minutia of even that system).

In the end, I want a system that has unique(ish) mechanic(s). I want a system that doesn't bog down with too many rules. I want a system that allows some personal freedom and deep/broad chargen potential.

Yes. I want my cake and to eat it too.

RE: dice. I've got no problem with a system that uses unique dice. I've got no problem with a system that uses d6s or typical DnD dice.

But if FFG produces any more unique dice sets, they should scrap their Star Wars dice app and replace it with a FFG Dice App that's able to be used with ANY of their games.

But if FFG produces any more unique dice sets, they should scrap their Star Wars dice app and replace it with a FFG Dice App that's able to be used with ANY of their games.

Fantasy has it's own system with special dice, cards too, but that's dead as a doornail. All the Warhammer 40K systems share a system just different iterations on the rules. Not sure about any of the others.

You do realize that, at least in the case of Star Wars, you can use regular dice, right? They have the conversion in the main book.

As for TEotW series, I would love to see a system like the Star Wars one implemented, but I'm also intrigued about the original.

You do realize that, at least in the case of Star Wars, you can use regular dice, right? They have the conversion in the main book.

As for TEotW series, I would love to see a system like the Star Wars one implemented, but I'm also intrigued about the original.

Didn't the beta come with a sticker sheet for converting dice?

How could I have if I stated the existence of special dice is what's keeping me from buying the thing in the first place?

Regardless, a conversion guide doesn't really fix my issue. If they'd started out with whatever dice and merely said this is what this number meant then no issue. However special dice exist, this is what I take issue with.

How many different RPG systems does FFG have? There's 17 RPG subforums here in the FFG RPG area (19 if you count the two Star Wars RPG Beginner Games separately). I know the SW games share a system. So does the 40k games. But just how many different systems does FFG have/use?

Ok I'll attempt to take this one on :)

Anima - uses a really overly complex system that is essentually a d100 system

WH40k rps - all essentually the same system, just repeatedly refined, again basically d100

Dawnforge - not a clue

Dragonstar - again not idea

Fireborn - really good for cinematic combat, d6 based system and personally one of the most under-rated system out there

Grimm - a really, really, simple d6 system

Midnight - d20 with tweaks

Star Wars - Custom dice

Warhammer 2nd ed - D100 system that spawned Dark Heresy

Warhammer 3rd ed - custom dice system the spawned Sat Wars

Hope that helps

Regards

Surak

The star wars dice seem an odd thing to be cranky over. Especially for someone who has never tried them.

The star wars dice seem an odd thing to be cranky over. Especially for someone who has never tried them.

Again it's not the validity of the system, it's the fact that a unique set of dice exists where there didn't need to be one.

Hasn't tried the system but has a very strong opinion against it...

Hasn't tried the system but has a very strong opinion against it...

Again, not the system, the business practice of creating unique dice and selling those dice.

Actually you do, you clearly stated earlier on that you do not feel for the chance mechanic AND its representation. Also, you say the system didn't need the dice but haven't tried the system to begin with.

So let's be real; you have no idea what you are talking about.

But let's drop it, you don't want to spend the $15 for a set of dice (or buy a starter set that has them included) fine, no skin of my nose.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

I have no input on the validity of the system, merely that I don't like the design philosophy behind it's chance mechanic and how that's represented physically.

This is exactly what I said, you apparently don't get what I'm trying to put across. There's a difference between a chance system being flawed and a design philosphy of representing chance being flawed.

So let's be real.

You and I disagree, and that's fine. What you don't get to do is state I have no idea what I'm talking about, as I obviously do or I wouldn't be talking about it. What I have here is an opinion that you don't agree with or you think is informed, which is fine. No muss no fuss, let's just both drop it there.

Okay let's be real! I will answer this and will leave it at that and consider it dropped.

There are a couple of half truths and misunderstandings in your posts. First of all, I never misunderstood you. Your posts were crystal clear and I did not have a hard time reading them nor grasping their intend. Secondly, I do get to state that you don't know what you are talking about when, in fact, you do not know what you are talking about.

Your sentence is dual in the fact that you claim to dislike the design of the chance mechanic AND the physical representation of it. If you would have wanted to tell us you dislike spending $15 on dice that are specifically designed then either of the two would have sufficed but you specifically singled out the physical representation (read dice) after you already criticized the design philosphy and therefor making it impossible for this to also mean dice.

I am indeed with absolute disagreement with the sentiment either way and the fact that D20, D4, D12 and D8 are now "common place in the hobby" only means that people that didn't want to play with what were specialty dice 30 years ago were not in the majority.

FYI there's a table in the Star Wars book for using standard RPG dice instead of the custom ones.

When is the zombie game due to release?

When is the zombie game due to release?

According to the news release ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5027 )

Prepare for hordes of zombies to end the world with the release of Zombie Apocalypse in the fourth quarter of 2014, and look for the rest of the books in The End of the World game line to be released at a later date!

It would make sense for FF to aim for a just-before-Halloween release...

That would make sense to me, but if that's what they are shooting for then it needs to be available by the beginning of October to have time to get out there.

That would make sense to me, but if that's what they are shooting for then it needs to be available by the beginning of October to have time to get out there.

fingers crossed!

Okay let's be real! I will answer this and will leave it at that and consider it dropped.

There are a couple of half truths and misunderstandings in your posts. First of all, I never misunderstood you. Your posts were crystal clear and I did not have a hard time reading them nor grasping their intend. Secondly, I do get to state that you don't know what you are talking about when, in fact, you do not know what you are talking about.

Your sentence is dual in the fact that you claim to dislike the design of the chance mechanic AND the physical representation of it. If you would have wanted to tell us you dislike spending $15 on dice that are specifically designed then either of the two would have sufficed but you specifically singled out the physical representation (read dice) after you already criticized the design philosphy and therefor making it impossible for this to also mean dice.

I am indeed with absolute disagreement with the sentiment either way and the fact that D20, D4, D12 and D8 are now "common place in the hobby" only means that people that didn't want to play with what were specialty dice 30 years ago were not in the majority.

At first glance I thought, "Weird dice just for this game? Nope! Screw that!". Then I read about the system and said, "What the heck, I'll drop $30.00 for the Beginner's Game". Love at first roll...

Are they expensive? Not for me; I have six sets. And let's face it, there are a ton of things throughout the RPG industry that are "odd" or "fiddly" and they either do well or poorly. These funky dice must not be too much of a non-sell if the strength of the line says anything.

But one thing that pisses me off is the mentality that it's bad business or exploitative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Speak with your wallet, otherwise you sound entitled.

But one thing that pisses me off is the mentality that it's bad business or exploitative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Speak with your wallet, otherwise you sound entitled.

That mentality is why people vote with their wallet though. I mean there's a reason behind such action.

"I paid XXX$ on duplicates of this. If you don't like it don't buy it, but I'm also implying you're a jerk to validate my purchase, because it's somehow connected to my ego"

"blablabla, entitled"

"But one thing that pisses me off is the mentality that it's bad business or exploitative. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Speak with your wallet, otherwise you sound entitled."

I'm not addressing a specific poster, even if I'm probably quoting one or two in there, or paraphasing the content of their drivel:

Know what's awesome? As a consumer, I have rights. That means I'm entitled. I'm entitled to voice my opinion about a product, I'm entitled to deem it a poor product and I'm also entitled to give consumer feedback or raise issues as they apply. I'm also entitled to express my astonishment that native English speakers:

A) Do not know what entitled means and treat it as a degoratory term

B) Treat having consumer rights as a bad thing

C) Love ad hominems. And since they love them so much, this entire post is a big one.

In closing, here's an idea: How about instead of six sets of dice, you purchase the services of an English tutor?