What system will this use?

By ajtheronin, in Zombie Apocalypse

As long as it isn't a derived version of the d20 system. I hate that.

I think that even if it is based on the older Spanish game it will be a big reworking of the system/rules as the developer clearly states he worked on the line for several months...

I think that even if it is based on the older Spanish game it will be a big reworking of the system/rules as the developer clearly states he worked on the line for several months...

Yeah but was he working hard, or hardly working? :)

Maybe he was just translating it? :s

Maybe he was just translating it? :s

I think a translator would be a better choice than a developer in that case...

The game is not that old. The Zombie game came out last July and the only one that has not been released is the Raise of the Machine book.

I don't think FFG will release something if they know it is getting terrible reviews over there and know that we're hearing all of that here. They are in the business of money. I would imagine a reworking, then a "press release" on how things have changed to ease our worry. Then we buy and everyone's happy! Right? Right, guys?.....I hope, anyway.

The simple roll are against a target number set by the GM but he does not mention what's the average. I guess the math is up to what you are suppose to add in any given roll.

(in Spanish) go in more depth on how the system works.

When you make a roll against another character or creature (a contested roll) each one add their concept, aspects, attribute, etc. and the one with a higher number roll 2d6 and keeps one. The one that wins the roll get to narrate what happens and sometimes inflict stress.

The simple roll are against a target number set by the GM but he does not mention what's the average. I guess the math is up to what you are suppose to add in any given roll.

Not trying to be rude, but I have no idea what you just said. It sounds like it might make sense, but there was a lot left hanging in that description and I'm not sure of how it all works. If it isn't a bother, it'd be nice if you put up a more understandable description.

However, if for whatever reason that can't happen (copy/pasting from the website, not the best English in the world, etc.), I totally understand. I'm not trying to criticize you or anything, just asking for clarification.

No offense taken.

Characters have a concept (a description). They also have 3 Attributes (Physical, Mental and Social). Each of these attributes are divided in 2 characteristics* (check the character sheet I linked earlier in this thread) rated from 0 to 3. Each Characteristic have 2 aspect (one good and one bad) that may give a +1 (good aspect) or -1 (bad aspect).

When 2 players are rolling against each other (a contested roll), the characters in the contest compare the value the characteristic they are going to use plus anything else that may apply (concept, aspects, external bonuses, etc.). The character that ends up with a higher number gets to roll 2d6 and pick the highest one. Then everyone rolls and whoever ends with the highest result wins and describe the outcome of the roll (that includes inflicting stress, that is how damage is called on the game).

There are also simple rolls that are against a target number set by the GM. In the video he does not mention what the average target number is. He did said that if you fail or don't get enough successes you can roll again but your stress may go up.

It makes more sense now?

*these are mentioned on the description page: dexterity, vitality, logic, willpower, charisma, and empathy.

Edited by ajtheronin

To be honest I'm kind of hoping they will use a system like the narrative dice system from Edge of the Empire "Star Wars " . I recently played the beginner game from that line and was very pleased with the simplicity of the system mechanically while still having a fairly complex Role Play session branching from it .

Anyone else like this idea ?

If they require special dice for this game I'm not buying it. Sorry that's what's stopping me from buying the Star Wars games too. If they want to say use a d6 and this is what the sides mean, go right ahead, the moment they make a special set, I'm done.

If they require special dice for this game I'm not buying it. Sorry that's what's stopping me from buying the Star Wars games too. If they want to say use a d6 and this is what the sides mean, go right ahead, the moment they make a special set, I'm done.

Got to agree with you on this one, my group plays so many different RPG's that we simply can't afford to invest in games that require specific dice.

Personally i love systems like Cortex that feature dice scaling, but I think FFG will either go down the Star Wars/Warhammer 3rd ed custom dice systems or Warhammer 40k 100 system. It would be nice if they give the system from Fireborn another shot as that is a VERY adaptable system.

Regards

Surak

While i have nothing against special dice, i think that FF grosly overdid it with WHFRP 3d and star wars (tough i'm reliably informed SW has a good system).

Rolling a bunch D6s? no problem.

D20? not a problem either.

5 normal D6 and one special D6 with symbols? Cool, I'll play.

2 D10 and a D20 with odd symbols? Getting funky, but still good..

2 purple D10 with hammers and skulls combined with a green D20 and blue one with other symbols and you take an extra white D6,while the Gm gives you two black D6s, all with different symbols: THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

I felt the same way before I played the Star Wars Edge Of Empire . I'm new to GM'ing just started about a year ago and the thought of learning another system really turned me off to start with . But the subject matter (Star Wars ) really drew me in and after giving it a try I have to admit it was much easier than I expected and combat actually ran smoother and faster than our D&D combats . If the go with another system I just want it to be fairly simple mechanics , As a GM and the only one in our group motivated enough to GM it can be difficult to run more than system/rules mechanics at a time . Also can be hard to get players (who already aren't real clear on rules/mechanics ) to be open to try new systems .

Me , the subject matter has me intrigued enough to want to give it a shot .

RPG players that don't want "special" dice... Oh, the irony.

Sorry, it's the business practice behind the matter of special dice that turn me off to the matter.

When game shops won't usually sell these special dice yes, I can find a general amount of dice that DnD uses, which can get me through 90% of games including 2 d10 which i can use for a percentage. The only special dice I've seen at a shop are dice for the Fate system.

Also your definition of irony is flawed in my perception, the dice system has been set for decades they aren't special for this hobby at this point. Star Wars on the other hand introduces a new scheme into things for no greater reason in my opinion than money.

The dice is a non-issue since this system use only d6s (and I think 2d6 top).

The dice is a non-issue since this system use only d6s (and I think 2d6 top).

They could modify it, but yeah from what I read I'm not worried at all about it.

When game shops won't usually sell these special dice yes, I can find a general amount of dice that DnD uses, which can get me through 90% of games including 2 d10 which i can use for a percentage. The only special dice I've seen at a shop are dice for the Fate system.

Also your definition of irony is flawed in my perception, the dice system has been set for decades they aren't special for this hobby at this point. Star Wars on the other hand introduces a new scheme into things for no greater reason in my opinion than money.

Which is absurd reasoning.

Also, you can have two sets of dice and be fine playing SW with 5 people. I know we do so that money grabbing scheme really isn’t.

And whether or not RPG dice are no longer „special” to the hobby really has no bearing on the situation, they once were special and had people been as short minded and cynical about it then they would have never come to be an established part of the hobby.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

Which is absurd reasoning.

Also, you can have two sets of dice and be fine playing SW with 5 people. I know we do so that money grabbing scheme really isn’t.

And whether or not RPG dice are no longer „special” to the hobby really has no bearing on the situation, they once were special and had people been as short minded and cynical about it then they would have never come to be an established part of the hobby.

No it's not absurd, it's business.

You may be able to be ok with two sets of special dice, but the group I play with would want their own, we aren't the most generous bunch either. What you do doesn't make it any less of a money grab, you still spent money on two sets of dice only for that system.

It does have bearing because the hobby was founded on a core set of dice to represent chance. They became commonplace for a reason, they work.

@ThenDoctor -- I understand your apprehension and reluctance to enter into another system with custom dice... at first, I felt the same way about The Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion. The only thing I can say about the dice and the new SW games is that the dice mechanic used is special. I had to try the Beginner Box version to appreciate it. Please note that I am NOT encouraging you to try/play/purchase/etc.

Margaret Weis rewrote Firefly to use the standard dice sans d20, but still a narrative style game. It is using Cortex Plus w/ a slight variant of Fate (sort of). It works pretty well.

It says something about roleplayers that, D4, D8, D10, D12, D20 and some of the more silly ones (D24? really?) are considered normal.

@ThenDoctor -- I understand your apprehension and reluctance to enter into another system with custom dice... at first, I felt the same way about The Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion. The only thing I can say about the dice and the new SW games is that the dice mechanic used is special. I had to try the Beginner Box version to appreciate it. Please note that I am NOT encouraging you to try/play/purchase/etc.

Margaret Weis rewrote Firefly to use the standard dice sans d20, but still a narrative style game. It is using Cortex Plus w/ a slight variant of Fate (sort of). It works pretty well.

Didn't feel that you were encouraging, don't worry. I don't mind if others play the game. I'm interested in the material as any Star Wars fan is, personally I really enjoy the Sagas edition of the game, but that's neither here nor there. I simply have no wish to play it.

Saw Firefly at Gencon, haven't had the chance to play it. A buddy of mine bought it, I hope that I'll get the chance to play it after we get done with our current Pathfinder game.

It says something about roleplayers that, D4, D8, D10, D12, D20 and some of the more silly ones (D24? really?) are considered normal.

D30s never get love anymore. Have an actual D100 as well. A few D3's too. Never seen a D24.