Why do you think the Alliance is cooler than the Empire?

By ErikB, in General Discussion

Yeah Honor Among Enemies has always been one of my favorite books in the Honor series. And the idiotic part is the Republic oked the arming of them, just not in the numbers that were armed.

"the Honorverse has taught me just how powerful a Q-ship can be."

To be fair, Wayfarer from Honor Among Enemies was incorporating, what, 1-3 bleeding-edge Manticoran technologies at the time, which Haven had no way of readily countering? i think Sirius from On Basilisk Station was more accurate to what kind of throw weight a given Q-ship would have. Even the captain of Sirius remarked that Fearless (a light cruiser but also designed as a warship from the keel up) should have very easily blown their heavy-cruiser-sized Q-ship out of the water (if not for the grav lance modifications that removed like half of Fearless ' missile tubes).

Edited by Kshatriya

According to my SW: Eddential Guide to Warfare in the Ruusan Reformationsthere were limits to the number of ships, their armaments, their hyperdrices, star charts and such. Wealthy industrial sectors just built ships of sizes not seen for millenia (over 800 metres and longer) not covered by the laws, and used other loopholes.

Systems and planets with Senatorial representation were allowed addittional allowances.

Shipwrights were allowed to produce prototypes of new vessels and experimental variants of existing ships for research and demonstrations, resulting in huge 'demonstration fleets' for rent to those who had the money.

The PSF of course was harmstrung with budget cuts ...

That would be like allowing corporations nowadays to buy their own tank brigades, carriers and bombers.

Does anybody think that THAT would be a good idea?

In the real world? Someone probably unironically does and is already working on that.

That would be like allowing corporations nowadays to buy their own tank brigades, carriers and bombers.

Sadly, the way that things are going we might not be that far off from that. . . .

Awesome stuff. The Sony vs. Microsoft Wars will begin in the 2020's? 12 year old realworld Enders sitting at home deploying remote controlled battleships and tanks via the latest PS or Kinect motion control devices. And they could fund their war efforts while simultaneously releasing Corporate Wars: Apocalypse on the PS6 and XBox-Three.

Edited by Sturn

I think we need a separate forum for the space nazi fanboys.

Sure, aliens get a hard time at it in the empire, but Stormtroopers? You just can't beat that, you rough and tumble, haphazardly armed pirates!

The Stormtoopers remind me of the British Redcoats from the American Revolution. Their uniforms scream "Here I am. Shoot me, shoot me!" All if you use the d6 data for preferred Rebel rifles and Imperial standard issue they had similar advantages and disadvantages for their respective sides.

Oh man, Stormtroopers are a difficult subject in my Legacy group.

On the one hand they are nothing but mooks in the old triology.

On the other according to fluff/lore they are experts that went through 3-4 years of hard training in survival in different terrains and tactics to take anything down. They would be tougher and harder than any fighting force on nowadays Earth.

Could we make therefore do something about that?

Like getting a profile for a 08/15 standard Imperial Army Trooper and a better one for the real Stormtroopers from Carida and such places?

We know from the upcoming Rebels TV show that stormtroopers are just random people that the Empire rounds up from the worlds it controls. The armies of the Empire have a lot in common thematically with the Red Tide that stood ready to sweep west across Europe in the days when Star Wars was made - the seemingly endless armies of the Soviet Union.

As such, with reference to material like:-

http://stoppingtheredtide.blogspot.co.uk/

strt_warpac_zps962f9790.png

In Flames of War terms, the average line Stormtroopers of the Galactic Empire would be rated as reluctant conscripts . Faceless disposable soldiers of the Empire.

Meanwhile, the Rebel Alliance military is clearly a thinly veiled XP for western first world soldiers and as such, examining:-

strt_brit_zps9db84d04.png

strt_us_zps84cb60b8.png

The Rebels will generally be rated confident trained for new units or confident veterans for those with some battle experience.

Edited by ErikB

Why would they be "reluctant conscripts" since these are people the Empire is convincing to enlist and thus not conscripts at all. Furthermore, there are still clones in the Stormtrooper Corps. Even normal people who manage not to get washed out of Cliffside are going to be superior soldiers.

And again, as I have pointed out multiple times already, the onscreen performance of Stormtroopers and other Imperial troops shows them to be superior to Rebels. Generally the only times they are shown to fail is against the main protagonists.

We can't say we know anything definite about a show that has yet to be released. Nor is its content or perspective necessary to consider for further development of this game. And the real world parallels and real world troop quality do not matter at all.

Why would they be "reluctant conscripts" since these are people the Empire is convincing to enlist and thus not conscripts at all. Furthermore, there are still clones in the Stormtrooper Corps. Even normal people who manage not to get washed out of Cliffside are going to be superior soldiers.

And again, as I have pointed out multiple times already, the onscreen performance of Stormtroopers and other Imperial troops shows them to be superior to Rebels. Generally the only times they are shown to fail is against the main protagonists.

Everyone seems to forget the opening scene, when the Devastator 's Stormtroopers board the Tantive IV .

And the whole "You're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk Vader, this had better work."

Nevermind the whole Battle of Hoth.

And everything that happens on and around Endor not involving a character whose name is spoken in the movies.

Thank you.

Yeah they did well against non-heroics but weren't those units considered elite even for Stormtroopers?

Yeah they did well against non-heroics but weren't those units considered elite even for Stormtroopers?

They're supposed to be the 501st Legion, directly under Darth Vader because they're specially trained and high-quality.

And, um, they tend to deliver. Considering that blaster bolts in the series are lethal if you're more than grazed, we can see why none of the main organic characters ever suffered a real hit, and why the cinema involved the danger of being hit rather than the effects of actually being hit.

Incidentally, I recall Leia being grazed by a blaster during the ground battle of Endor's forest moon, and she's basically down for the count for the rest of the fighting.

Guys I heard a rumor that Erikb doesn't actually play this game.

There is litte evidence of eliteness, only of special gear, in the films.

Palpatine describing the Imperial forces on Endor: "An entire legion of my best troops awaits them ."

And logically wouldn't it make sense for the units assigned to Darth Vader's personal command, whether that command is a Star Destroyer or a fleet of them, to be elite units?

Really the rebels would have lost the ground game on Endor (and as a result, their entire fleet and leadership) if not for Chewbacca commandeering that AT-ST. Palpy wasn't lying; his Endor garrison was good.

The Rebells would have lost if the Ewoks had not been there,

the Empire would not be a bunch of clowns (rewatch how Han goaded the single Scout Trooper into that hold-up),

The Rebells won because as the good guys of the movie they had to win.

They're supposed to be the 501st Legion, directly under Darth Vader because they're specially trained and high-quality.

Of course for 25 years there was no 501st - they were just bog standard (yet bad assed) stormtroopers. They were not retroactively made the 'best of the best' until (relatively) just reciently.

The Rebells would have lost if the Ewoks had not been there, the Empire would not be a bunch of clowns (rewatch how Han goaded the single Scout Trooper into that hold-up), ... The Rebells won because as the good guys of the movie they had to win.

That too, but I'm trying to look at it from an in-setting perspective and not as a film.

I have always wondered why everyone in Star Wars seems to fear Stormtroopers and regard them as elite troops when their on camera performance is so poor. The armour doesn't seem to do much against blasters, they can't shoot for beans, and generally seem pretty dumb.

But the truth is the reason the Rebel Alliance is cooler lies in the eye candy value of the respective leaderships. A wrinkled old prune vs well...

I think in-setting it's explained that armor tech just can't keep up with blaster tech. Stormtrooper armor provides a little protection versus blasters, but stormtrooper armor is supposed to be good against blasts, shrapnel, and indirect damage.